Cell Games: Did the humans surpass Ginyu's power level?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Angelus
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Cell Games: Did the humans surpass Ginyu's power level?

Post by Angelus » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:10 pm

I want to see how many agree or disagree on a common theory that the humans barely surpassed Ginyu's power level.

Yes, this would include Yamcha and Chiaotzu but this question is mainly for Krillin and Tien, Tribeam and Kienzan aside.
Last edited by Angelus on Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SSJ2FutureGohan
I Live Here

Re: Cell Games: Did the humans surpass Ginyu's power level?

Post by SSJ2FutureGohan » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:11 pm

I don't think the humans are that weak, I think Yamcha, Ten, and Krillin reached the millions, not sure about Chaozu..

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:03 pm

Sadly, there is no gauge provided in the story to make sense of this.

But given that Tenshinhan was able to hold Cell down with the Kikoho, it's hard not to think he powered up by a significant margin past the Ginyu's and such.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:33 pm

Chiaotzu - Most probably not.

Tien - Yes. You can assume while he was dead, he became as strong as Goku during the saiyan arc. By the Cell Games, he continued training and most probably reached the level of Goku on planet Namek. IIRC, he didn't use the ROSAT or any gravity machine, so I wouldn't put him above first form Frieza or anything, but above Ginyu.

Krillin - Well, if we're going to follow Toriyama's words, then he's the strongest human, so that puts him above Tien and, thus, Ginyu by that point.

Yamcha - If it's anime filler Yamcha, he wrecks Ginyu. If not, then I feel he's slightly weaker than Ginyu. Just not much of a fighter.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:38 pm

I definitely think Kuririn, Yamcha, and Tenshinhan have.

As for Chaozu, I'd honestly be shocked if he ever surpasses Raditz's level.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:55 pm

There's only so much evidence we have to draw conclusions from, but I think one particularly valuable piece of information is Nail commenting that Piccolo was incredibly powerful when he arrived on Namek. Now, that can be read a couple of ways: 1) Piccolo is more powerful than the standard Warrior-type Namekian (3,000ish). 2) Piccolo isn't necessarily "incredibly" powerful but Nail was trying to goad him into using Assimilation. 3) Piccolo is more powerful than Nail. 4) A mixture of (1) and (2) or (2) and (3). Based on how Piccolo wanted to use two wishes on himself, the first to come back to life and the second to get him to Namek, all just so he could help fight a foe he knew was much stronger than Vegeta was on Earth, I lean towards a combination of (2) and (3) being the more likely option.

Based on that, it's not unlikely that Tenshinhan and Yamcha radically increased their battle powers while training with Kaio. If Piccolo could go from somewhere in the 2,000s to over/around 42,000 in less than 6 days, just imagine what the humans could do with 130 and 260, respectively. Yes, you have to factor in that not having Piccolo around, and later not having Yamcha around, would affect the gains everyone would make during that time, but still. I think it would be quite impressive and blow Ginyu out of the water.

As for Kuririn, the power up from Saichoro is quite mysterious. Who knows when it stopped raising him battle power. He and Gohan did think they'd be of some use to Vegeta when he managed to hold off Freeza's first form, so I'm of the opinion that Kuririn definitely reached the 100,000 by then, at least.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:06 pm

I think Tien, Yamcha and Krillin were definitely above Ginyu's power by EOZ. I honestly reckon they were in the millions. I mean, yes, the human cast are weak compared the rest of the aliens/cyborgs among the Z-Fighters, but they aren't exactly pushovers in their own regard.

Mac
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mac » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:20 pm

Yes, I'd have them near Frieza fight Goku at the very least.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:54 am

Tyro wrote:There's only so much evidence we have to draw conclusions from, but I think one particularly valuable piece of information is Nail commenting that Piccolo was incredibly powerful when he arrived on Namek. Now, that can be read a couple of ways: 1) Piccolo is more powerful than the standard Warrior-type Namekian (3,000ish). 2) Piccolo isn't necessarily "incredibly" powerful but Nail was trying to goad him into using Assimilation. 3) Piccolo is more powerful than Nail. 4) A mixture of (1) and (2) or (2) and (3). Based on how Piccolo wanted to use two wishes on himself, the first to come back to life and the second to get him to Namek, all just so he could help fight a foe he knew was much stronger than Vegeta was on Earth, I lean towards a combination of (2) and (3) being the more likely option.

Based on that, it's not unlikely that Tenshinhan and Yamcha radically increased their battle powers while training with Kaio. If Piccolo could go from somewhere in the 2,000s to over/around 42,000 in less than 6 days, just imagine what the humans could do with 130 and 260, respectively. Yes, you have to factor in that not having Piccolo around, and later not having Yamcha around, would affect the gains everyone would make during that time, but still. I think it would be quite impressive and blow Ginyu out of the water.

As for Kuririn, the power up from Saichoro is quite mysterious. Who knows when it stopped raising him battle power. He and Gohan did think they'd be of some use to Vegeta when he managed to hold off Freeza's first form, so I'm of the opinion that Kuririn definitely reached the 100,000 by then, at least.
This then begs the question of why a year at Kaio's didn't give Goku that large a power up. Sure, he got 20x stronger over half a year... but that's nothing compared to the gains that would put Piccolo above Nail in 6 days.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:16 am

Krillin, Yamcha and Chaotzu might've lost some power due to largely not really training anymore while Tien apparently did, however, I think that both Tien and definitely Krillin are in the low millions with Yamcha being in the high 100 00s and Chaotzu either in the high 10 000s to low 100 000s
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

singsing
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by singsing » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:30 am

This then begs the question of why a year at Kaio's didn't give Goku that large a power up. Sure, he got 20x stronger over half a year... but that's nothing compared to the gains that would put Piccolo above Nail in 6 days.
Well, Goku did spend a lot of that time having to get used to the gravity and learning/mastering the Kaioken and Spirit Bomb, while the others were already okay with the gravity correct? If you factor in the KK, he got 80x stronger.

ThePrinceOfSaiyans
Beyond Newbie

Post by ThePrinceOfSaiyans » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:22 am

By the end of the Cell saga I'd say all humans were higher than Ginyu. (Minus Chiaotzu)

By end of Z they were into the millions as already stated.

In comparison to Saiyans or fused Piccolo they are flies, however Ginyu was only at 120k. The humans sadly get outshined despite being beasts in their own way.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:23 am

singsing wrote:
Well, Goku did spend a lot of that time having to get used to the gravity and learning/mastering the Kaioken and Spirit Bomb, while the others were already okay with the gravity correct? If you factor in the KK, he got 80x stronger.
Yamcha wasn't okay with the gravity, at least. And if learning the Kaio-ken made Goku's training less efficient, that would just make teaching him the Kaio-ken even stupider.

It'd be more like a 40x increase since 2x was all he could handle. Even 80x in half a year still wouldn't match the gains Piccolo supposedly made from the 6 days of training, and that's in temporary boosts.

So yeah. If that was the difference, it was a really dumb move teaching him the Kaio-ken. He could've gotten stronger in base and never needed it.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Diotor
Beyond Newbie

Post by Diotor » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:15 am

I'd have Tenshinhan and Krillin able to beat second form Frieza and possibly beat third form Freeza in a tough fight.

Yamacha would be able to beat first form Freeza and then maybe have enough to beat his second form.

Chaoitzu I'd have somewhere between Ginyu and first form Freeza.

Sinestro
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Sinestro » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:19 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:
Yamcha - If it's anime filler Yamcha, he wrecks Ginyu. If not, then I feel he's slightly weaker than Ginyu. Just not much of a fighter.
Filler Yamcha is both hilarious and ridiculous.

flashback0180
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by flashback0180 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:58 pm

Sinestro wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:
Filler Yamcha is both hilarious and ridiculous.

I actually prefer these fillers, at least they did something.

Pantalones
Advanced Regular

Post by Pantalones » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:54 pm

Yamcha was initially mistaken for Goku by Dr. Gero just going by his power level, and was considered a good source of energy to drain even after Gero realized that he'd initially mis-identified him. There's no way #19 and #20 are so weak that a power level in the 10,000s or even 100,000s range would actually provide a significant improvement to their power when absorbed (once you're in the multi-millions a 100,000 boost is basically nothing...), so this definitely implies that Yamcha reached the millions by the Android saga.

And if Yamcha reached the millions, you know Krillin and Tenshinhan are also in the millions and most likely at least a couple times stronger than him (considering that Krillin had his potential unlocked and Tenshinhan spent longer training on Kaio's than Yamcha did, in addition to both of them being a good bit stronger than Yamcha was to begin with.)

So yes, the humans (or at least those who are still considered active fighters by the Cell Games) most certainly surpassed Ginyu. And first-form Freeza. And probably second- and third-form Freeza, though Yamcha's status vs. those ones is a bit up in the air. Tenshinhan and Krillin possibly surpassed initial (3 million) 4th-form Freeza, too, the only question is "by how much" (like... are they only just barely above that level? are they a few millions ahead of that level, strong enough to take that Freeza out in one punch if he doesn't power up? or are they even higher, maybe pushing into the tens-of-millions?)

Heck, even Chiaotzu was probably a good bit ahead of Ginyu, though he may not have reached the millions. And even he might have eventually gotten that far since he's always training with Tenshinhan, while Yamcha stopped training... so even if he's still way weaker than Krillin or Tenshinhan, Chiaotzu might actually be stronger than Yamcha by the Buu saga or the end of Z. XD

====

They've already long since surpassed the guys who were once considered the strongest on Earth (like Roshi, Piccolo Daimao, Kami, etc.), so I don't get why so many people are so against the idea that the human fighters surpassed some of the guys who were once considered strongest in the universe (like Ginyu and first-form Freeza.) That's what happens in Dragonball -- people who keep training and fighting get stronger, passing their supposed limits time and time again. Just because you don't have the power to make your hair glow yellow and become 50x stronger instantly doesn't mean that rule no longer applies to you, it just means that you'll never catch up to those who can do that.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:32 pm

Pantalones wrote:Yamcha was initially mistaken for Goku by Dr. Gero just going by his power level, and was considered a good source of energy to drain even after Gero realized that he'd initially mis-identified him. There's no way #19 and #20 are so weak that a power level in the 10,000s or even 100,000s range would actually provide a significant improvement to their power when absorbed (once you're in the multi-millions a 100,000 boost is basically nothing...), so this definitely implies that Yamcha reached the millions by the Android saga.
So much THIS. It's also very probable that Yamcha, Chaozu and Tenshinhan all learned Kaioken as well, since they reached Kaio's at a much stronger strength than Goku's and spent more time with Kaio than Goku did. Meanwhile, Krillin got that boost from Saichoru that even Vegeta commented as having an impact beyond just the initial boost.

Personally, given the ridiculous gains Piccolo makes in the three-year gap, how much Shishami and Freeza make in a four-month gap and the fact that they're using King Cold and Freeza as comparisons, I actually peg all four of them as reaching the multi-millions, Chaozu and Yamcha not surpassing Freeza, while Krillin and Tenshinhan are strong enough so that they have techniques that might take down a stronger opponent (like Freeza).

Basically, I see the trend of being not that far behind Goku still getting followed, only Goku then also has SSJ to fall back on while they don't. So if Goku's base form is 100 million (arbitrary number), then I see Krillin at 80-85M and Tenshinhan at 80M, with Chaozu being half that and Yamcha somewhere in-between.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

buutenks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by buutenks » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:33 pm

Tienshinhan was able to hold off cell for quite some time.So either his kikioho(or h/e you write it) multiplies his power thousands of times or tien is up there with final form freeza.

But to the main question,yes tien and krillin did surpass ginyu,due to tine holding off cell and krillin being a match for him or close in general.Not saying anything about 50+% freeza but ginyu definitely.

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:41 pm

Not sure how it went down in the manga but in the anime Krillin, Yamcha, and Tenshinhan are shown fending off Cell Jr.s that were even putting a fresh Trunks and Vegeta on the defensive. If the manga is similar to that then yeah id say the humans are a good deal past Ginyu's level.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]