"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by batistabus » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:34 am

dbzfan7 wrote:
Vice wrote:
batistabus wrote: Yes, but anyone besides Freeza would need a different/better explanation than an off-screen vaguely-defined training session.
Same thing Goku and Vegeta are getting, training with Whiz.
I could see this too. Piccolo has in record had some monstrous gains, so I could see him being a pupil of Whis. I'm shocked he isn't since he still likes to fight and train. Maybe he's too pride filled to submit himself under someone?
But Goku and Vegeta are not simply training under Whis...they're training under Whis while developing a mastery of Godly ki - a realm of strength that wasn't previously possible. Piccolo would need access to that or some other insane power boost first before he would be able to benefit fully from that type of training.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:38 am

I wonder if this will be set in between BoG and RoF. Perhaps show how Vegeta became a God and show more of there training.

SSJ Electric Fury
Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJ Electric Fury » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:57 am

Bullza wrote:Perhaps show how Vegeta became a God
I do want to see the story behind that. Did someone powerful threaten Earth or elsewhere, and Goku was preoccupied? Kaioshin could have moved Tarble to Earth for the ritual. I don't want Vegeta to have obtained god ki just because he wanted it, and casually asked the others to give it to him; that cheapens its significance.
"You can't make up for your mistakes when you're dead." - Irina Akulov, Xenoblade [Chronicles] X
ringworm128 wrote:

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:11 am

batistabus wrote:But Goku and Vegeta are not simply training under Whis...they're training under Whis while developing a mastery of Godly ki - a realm of strength that wasn't previously possible. Piccolo would need access to that or some other insane power boost first before he would be able to benefit fully from that type of training.
Why would he? He could train just real hard and that's it. Nothing really says we can't have Piccolo written like that. Dragon Ball just did that recently. Anything is possible, no matter how ludicrous. Doesn't matter if past events may suggest otherwise, those can and have been changed on a mere whim.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

jcogginsa
Advanced Regular

Post by jcogginsa » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:16 am

Question: Does anyone think they'll air a animated Dragonball Minus Special during this show's run, in the vein of the TV Specials of the original series like Bardock Father of Goku and History of Trunks

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:20 am

I shoudn't be this excited, but I am. If the animation's great, I'll watch it, buy it, everything, even if the story's dumb. The older I get, the more I realize how important that is. Don't skimp on the animation. Toei, do this right. :P

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:21 am

dbzfan7 wrote:
batistabus wrote:But Goku and Vegeta are not simply training under Whis...they're training under Whis while developing a mastery of Godly ki - a realm of strength that wasn't previously possible. Piccolo would need access to that or some other insane power boost first before he would be able to benefit fully from that type of training.
Why would he? He could train just real hard and that's it. Nothing really says we can't have Piccolo written like that. Dragon Ball just did that recently.

Anything is possible, no matter how ludicrous. Doesn't matter if past events may suggest otherwise, those can and have been changed on a mere whim.
Because even before the introduction of Godly ki, Piccolo had fallen far Goku and Vegeta. That gap is even more significant now.

They can be changed if given a good reason. Piccolo couldn't go through the same training as Goku/Vegeta with Whis in his current state and somehow end up equally powerful.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:24 am

I would be totally open to the idea, I sincerely doubt it (especially if it isn't relevant to the material in the show). Even though recent animated material is written by Toriyama, they still seem like they kinda want to pretend as though the Bardock TV Special is relevant...or at least, they don't really want to acknowledge Jaco the Galactic Patrolman/Dragon Ball Minus beyond Gine and Jaco as characters.

I have to wonder if that's why there wasn't more of an explanation to Jaco in Resurrection F and treated it like "you generally know who this is, where he came from and how it contradicts our own stuff...but we don't really want to get into that, so lets gloss over it".
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:53 am

batistabus wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:
Why would he? He could train just real hard and that's it. Nothing really says we can't have Piccolo written like that. Dragon Ball just did that recently.

Anything is possible, no matter how ludicrous. Doesn't matter if past events may suggest otherwise, those can and have been changed on a mere whim.
Because even before the introduction of Godly ki, Piccolo had fallen far Goku and Vegeta. That gap is even more significant now.

They can be changed if given a good reason. Piccolo couldn't go through the same training as Goku/Vegeta with Whis in his current state and somehow end up equally powerful.
Piccolo with Whis discovers new training regiment, Piccolo discovers hidden power BS. Doesn't really matter. Freeza with 0 martial arts training can self teach himself super martial arts and close an impossible gap in a short time. Piccolo with the best Martial Artist's in the universe can do the same. Whis could simply be that good. Like i said before absolutely no one would buy this Freeza stuff if it never became a movie. So really I see no issue with Piccolo when past stuff about Freeza can be thrown out the window for him to get really strong.

fexus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by fexus » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:04 am

dbzfan7 wrote: Piccolo with Whis discovers new training regiment, Piccolo discovers hidden power BS. Doesn't really matter. Freeza with 0 martial arts training can self teach himself super martial arts and close an impossible gap in a short time. Piccolo with the best Martial Artist's in the universe can do the same. Whis could simply be that good. Like i said before absolutely no one would buy this Freeza stuff if it never became a movie. So really I see no issue with Piccolo when past stuff about Freeza can be thrown out the window for him to get really strong.
And when this really happen you would be one of the first one to complain. :clap:
I ask thou, WHY MUST IT BE ME?
Your weakness is your strength.
Are you reading this? If you are, I just want to let you know that I'm a GREAT GUY. :lol:

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:33 am

fexus wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote: Piccolo with Whis discovers new training regiment, Piccolo discovers hidden power BS. Doesn't really matter. Freeza with 0 martial arts training can self teach himself super martial arts and close an impossible gap in a short time. Piccolo with the best Martial Artist's in the universe can do the same. Whis could simply be that good. Like i said before absolutely no one would buy this Freeza stuff if it never became a movie. So really I see no issue with Piccolo when past stuff about Freeza can be thrown out the window for him to get really strong.
And when this really happen you would be one of the first one to complain. :clap:
We must embrace the lunacy. Embrace it so Lord Piccolo can rule once more.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:40 am

dbzfan7 wrote:Piccolo with Whis discovers new training regiment, Piccolo discovers hidden power BS. Doesn't really matter.
Okay, but that's different than saying he just trained a lot under Whis. I would buy that Piccolo has some untapped Demon ki or something along those lines.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:51 am

batistabus wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:Piccolo with Whis discovers new training regiment, Piccolo discovers hidden power BS. Doesn't really matter.
Okay, but that's different than saying he just trained a lot under Whis. I would buy that Piccolo has some untapped Demon ki or something along those lines.
Training under Whis alone could be enough....we hardly know what Whis can do. For all we know he can whip Piccolo into shape real fast. Whis could make a one off remark that he could train Piccolo, and that'd be it.

Zenkashuu
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zenkashuu » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:09 am

DemonRin wrote:
Zenkashuu wrote:They should make canon all DragonBall Heroes stuff in the new series. Golden Great Ape Broly is a MUST.
Eeew, no no no No NO! Broli is the worst thing to happen to this series and the fandom around it. The only new animation I want of Broli is a video of him dying graphically in a freak greasefire.
Why not? Come on! Imagine badass Broly go head to head with SSGSS Goku or Vegeta, it'll drive me nuts.

lord turbo
Beyond Newbie

Post by lord turbo » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:15 am

dbzfan7 wrote:
batistabus wrote:
Training under Whis alone could be enough....we hardly know what Whis can do. For all we know he can whip Piccolo into shape real fast. Whis could make a one off remark that he could train Piccolo, and that'd be it.
At this point its just wishful thinking, he's way weaker than SSJ Gohan who should be even weaker than he was a teen during the Buu arc. It seems Piccolo will always be inferior to Cell Games level SSJs no matter how much he trains be it for 13 or 14 years since then. Yeah, it can all change in one ridiculous asspull here or there, but the way things looks Toriyama is simply not interested in piccolo or anyone else for that matter. At this point, I would prefer if this new series just focus completely on Goku and Vegeta. Everyone else is kind of irrelevant as their characters arcs have all been explored and done with so might as well ditch Earth and tag along with Goku and Vegeta as they explore different universes. This way you don't have to bog down the story giving screen time to everyone just so their fans will be happy they talked or moved during the show.

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:41 am

jcogginsa wrote:
miguelnuva1 wrote:This is just me but I would love to see Goku and Chi-Chi have another kid around Pan and Bra's age that actually wants to fight and be like Goku.
That's Pan in a nutshell though
Pan is Gogan's kid though, Goku needs a kid that takes after him. Same with Vegwta, Bra should act more like him.

Low Tone G
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Low Tone G » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:59 am

My predictions/expectations:
- The first episode(s) will start with a flashback as Goku finishes up Kid Buu. And will feature some new scenes when King Yemma to grant Goku's request to purify Kid Buu's soul and let him reincarnate right away was Uub. It will feature Uub's birth(without the actual circumstances of course as we are talking about a DB stuff).
Goku and the other will have a party or something and Goku will promise to always protect the Earth no matter what and also promises to train even harder then he had done it before.
- Other episodes will reveal some new materials before YSAFR(gag scenes the most and fine character interactions.)
- The further episodes will feature some training sessions before Battle of Gods' period.
- Maybe we will get some episodes between B.o.G. and R[F].
- And maybe after about 5-7 episodes(I mean from the start of the series) the adventures will finally start after Fukkatsu no [F] events.(As there are infos(?) about a villain surpassing Majin Buu and Freeza - so it's very likely they pointing out Golden Freeza as if they were to talk about Namek Arc Freeza, they would have better come up with Cell instead of Freeza to make a comparison for the new villain's power)
- I'm not sure that the series will surpass the EoZ or not but if it start like I think it will then it's very possible.
Last edited by Low Tone G on Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
English is not my first language!
I'm still waiting for Dragon Ball in Super...

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:01 am

Even if it surpasses vol. 42 there is still a 5 year gap between Z and GT. Maybe they fix/re-explain some things.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

SSJGFrieza
Banned

Post by SSJGFrieza » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:07 am

Cetra wrote:Even if it surpasses vol. 42 there is still a 5 year gap between Z and GT. Maybe they fix/re-explain some things.
GT is dead, not that it was ever canon to start with :lol:
Linda Young 4 lyfe

pappy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by pappy » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:35 am

Something to ponder: If DBS takes place after RoF, I wonder if Toei is even leaning towards simulcast? It could be until August when we get RoF here in the states. I would imagine simulcasts help deter piracy on some levels however, and they have to be getting some sweet offers for those streaming rights. Hell, maybe the plan is to have the show be a catylist for selling more tickets to the movie. What do you mean you don't know about the blue hair? Go see the movie, already!

I swear this year is nerd heaven for me. New Star Wars and not only a DB movie but a series? This is too much even for a delusional fantasy let alone real life.

I forgot! New Lupin! What is this place!?
I love you love Mashirito.