New "Remastered Box Set" Information

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:18 pm

desirecampbell wrote:It's just that we're sick and tired of Dragon Ball getting reamed all the time. It's not an anti-Funi thing, Funi is the dog's nuts of NA anime distributors. They give us good dubs, good scripts, great releases, Japanese audio, the best damn subtitles I've ever seen - for everything else. Not Dragon Ball. Dragon Ball gets fucked over in ways no other Funi property ever has. No other Funi release has had so many unfinished release versions. No other Funi release is decried so much. I mean, this pisses me off more than 4Kids - with 4Kids you know you're getting shit on, you expect it, you can prepare for it. We expect Funi to slowly get better with each product line. This is the , what? Fourth? Fifth time the series has been released? It was almost perfect. The UUEs were kind of expensive, and had lousy video but even then we were moderately happy. Now the video gets better, the dub gets a nice bonus, we get a promise that the whole series will be released this time, and the price is phenomenal - and then widescreen?!
Desire, it'd be cool of you to just point out DBZ getting the "reaming" in release and dub treatment, I mean original DragonBall (outside the first 13 episodes which aren't entirely FUNi's fault), they've done a fantastic job with releasing that series to respective saga sets. Also, the GT series, while that series dub sucks no question, we now have decently priced box-sets for that series, as well as it being 100% Uncut. Please, keep in mind it's just DBZ FUNi seems to have some anal retentive problem with. :(
14 years later

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:26 pm

Conan the SSJ wrote:Please, keep in mind it's just DBZ FUNi seems to have some anal retentive problem with. :(
Did they actually do competant releases on DB and DBGT? Can someone pop in a DVD and give me the bitrates? I never bought any of those releases, so I can't say myself.

-Corey

P.S. - Wow. I'm a celebrity/monarch? Awesome. I thought I was just a grunt for the local Government when I bought my DBZ Dragonboxes ;p
Last edited by MajinVejitaXV on Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Strongbad456
Beyond Newbie

Post by Strongbad456 » Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:31 pm

I personally think that their DragonBall dub is freakin awesome. It kept the original music and was released in nice box sets. DBZ is in the middle and the DBGT dub just got screwed over. But they did give us the Japanese version for most of DBZ and all of DBGT so that's a wonderful thing they did for us.

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:15 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote: Did they actually do competant releases on DB and DBGT? Can someone pop in a DVD and give me the bitrates? I never bought any of those releases, so I can't say myself.
Every ep on the DB releases was just under 4.0 Mbits/sec (on average, sure there were scenes that jumped up a bit).

To contrast, the single Dragon Box DVD I have has roughly about 7.0 Mbits/sec on the video. Do the math...
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:23 pm

Tenken wrote:I think i'm just going to buy the dragonbox single dvd releases....
Same here, although with them all almost completely released, I think I'll wait and see if they will release singles of Dragon Ball or DBGT. If they don't, then I might try to get ahold of the DB Box set (although it might be rare, but it'd be ever more-so after I bought all of the DBZ singles.
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:41 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote:P.S. - Wow. I'm a celebrity/monarch? Awesome. I thought I was just a grunt for the local Government when I bought my DBZ Dragonboxes ;p
Okay, so I was exaggerating, but to be fair buying all those Dragonbox single releases in addition to all of FUNi's season releases would...cost an arm and a leg. >_>;;
MajinVejitaXV wrote:Did they actually do competant releases on DB and DBGT? Can someone pop in a DVD and give me the bitrates? I never bought any of those releases, so I can't say myself.
Not sure about the bitrate issue for the original DB discs, but from what I know, they only have 2 audio and subtitle tracks for each version as well as some trailers. So if they're dual-layered, there shouldn't much of any technical problems going on. Ya' know Corey, since you seem to be eager for a dub with Japanese BGM, the original DB dub is open for the full-screen catching. ;)
14 years later

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:37 pm

Conan the SSJ wrote:Not sure about the bitrate issue for the original DB discs, but from what I know, they only have 2 audio and subtitle tracks for each version as well as some trailers. So if they're dual-layered, there shouldn't much of any technical problems going on. Ya' know Corey, since you seem to be eager for a dub with Japanese BGM, the original DB dub is open for the full-screen catching. ;)
I don't think Funi's ever bothered to actually fill the discs. From what I remember, the movies fit on to a DVD-5 disc, giving them 4.7 Gigs of space roughly, but I remember movie 12 taking up roughly 2 gigs worth of space. It seems like they just have standard settings they run across each episode and never bothered to really optimize anything that much.
ect5150

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:42 pm

ect5150 wrote:
Tenken wrote:I think i'm just going to buy the dragonbox single dvd releases....
Same here, although with them all almost completely released, I think I'll wait and see if they will release singles of Dragon Ball or DBGT. If they don't, then I might try to get ahold of the DB Box set (although it might be rare, but it'd be ever more-so after I bought all of the DBZ singles.
Most likely, they're going to release the R2 DVDs in the same order they released the boxes (DBZ, DBGT, DB, Movies).

And I've been thinking.. there is a good chance that Funi will re-release Dragon Ball as these season sets as well (hopefully not widescreen :x ). Since the dub was so beautiful, and the Japanese music was intact (a huge reason why I'm so hyped by the whole "Japanese music with English dub" thing), what else can they add besides the refurbished footage and.....widescreen? Maybe some commentary? Or unexpected extra stuff. :roll:

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:59 pm

fps_anth wrote:
ect5150 wrote:
Most likely, they're going to release the R2 DVDs in the same order they released the boxes (DBZ, DBGT, DB, Movies).

And I've been thinking.. there is a good chance that Funi will re-release Dragon Ball as these season sets as well (hopefully not widescreen :x ). Since the dub was so beautiful, and the Japanese music was intact (a huge reason why I'm so hyped by the whole "Japanese music with English dub" thing), what else can they add besides the refurbished footage and.....widescreen? Maybe some commentary? Or unexpected extra stuff. :roll:
OH! I was under the impression that that they did DB, then DBZ then GT then the movies. (runs to check on a few dates).

You're right! That made my day. I'll wait until they finish releasing the individual DBZ discs. If they go into the next one on the list, I'll just say screw Funi and get it the correct way slowly. Plus, if they stopped the UUE, whats to say they won't stop these new box sets right ebfore the Cell games or something god-awful like that just because they decide its "time to move onto BluRay or HD-DVD"?
ect5150

Blitzen
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Blitzen » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:22 pm

Conan the SSJ wrote: Not sure about the bitrate issue for the original DB discs, but from what I know, they only have 2 audio and subtitle tracks for each version as well as some trailers. So if they're dual-layered, there shouldn't much of any technical problems going on. Ya' know Corey, since you seem to be eager for a dub with Japanese BGM, the original DB dub is open for the full-screen catching. ;)
Okay, dunno if I've said this before, but just because you have a dual-layered disc doesn't mean you've sold all of your problems, because you haven't. All a dual layered disc means is that you've got two single layer ones in the same package.

Also, for comparison, I checked Justice League Unlimited and it has 3 audio and 3 subtitle tracks(2.0, though), aswell as occasional commentaries. The discs are 16:9 and it really does show some problems (though not as much as DBZ will, because JLU is still a newer, crisper show that actually was meant to be in widescreen. Still has problems though)

Tenken
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tenken » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:36 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote:Did they actually do competant releases on DB and DBGT? Can someone pop in a DVD and give me the bitrates? I never bought any of those releases, so I can't say myself.

-Corey
Actually, its funny you mention that. I ordered the r4 release of Dragon Ball: The Saga of Goku (since we can't get it here, thank the gods for region free players), got it in the mail today and I'm really happy with it. I'm sure its nowhere near the quality of the dragon boxes...

(click for full size, unaltered)
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

...but it has everything I want (original audio with the dub, the original japanese language track, eye-catches, and no FUCKED UP aspect ratios).

WHY THE FUCK CAN'T THEY JUST DO THIS FOR DBZ!? I may just buy the rest in r4 just to spite FUNi. Heh.

EDIT: oh yeah, and from what I could tell (or from what VLC is telling me, heh), the encode is VBR and peaked around 9 mbps...with 7 eps filling about 6.9 gigs of space on a dvd 9.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:59 pm

The DragonBox: The Movies are widescreen. In the end of movie 13 there are clips from the series in widescreen. I ripped it, here is good idea of how the FUNimation widescreen version would look (not talking about quality).

http://youtube.com/watch?v=9YUyujDA9Po

For some reason, it got a little distorded when uploading it to youtube. The black bars on the top and bottom are smaller then they are on the DVD. Whatever, its still cropped the same amount, just might be a little stretched.

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:04 am

Tenken wrote:

-Corey
Actually, its funny you mention that. I ordered the r4 release of Dragon Ball: The Saga of Goku (since we can't get it here, thank the gods for region free players), got it in the mail today and I'm really happy with it. I'm sure its nowhere near the quality of the dragon boxes...

(click for full size, unaltered)
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

...but it has everything I want (original audio with the dub, the original japanese language track, eye-catches, and no FUCKED UP aspect ratios).

WHY THE FUCK CAN'T THEY JUST DO THIS FOR DBZ!? I may just buy the rest in r4 just to spite FUNi. Heh.

EDIT: oh yeah, and from what I could tell (or from what VLC is telling me, heh), the encode is VBR and peaked around 9 mbps...with 7 eps filling about 6.9 gigs of space on a dvd 9.
OMFG I was just thinking about buying that. For about $80, going from the beginning of DB untill the end of the Baba saga, that's pretty damn good! The Funimation dub is used right? I know the Japanese dub is included, but I'm a fan of the Funi dub and wanted to make sure there isn't some crazy Australian dub included.

Indeed, Funimation should seriously do this for DBZ, NO WIDESCREEN, but the refurbishing and Japanese music track can stay. :D

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:06 am

Conan the SSJ wrote:Not sure about the bitrate issue for the original DB discs, but from what I know, they only have 2 audio and subtitle tracks for each version as well as some trailers. So if they're dual-layered, there shouldn't much of any technical problems going on. Ya' know Corey, since you seem to be eager for a dub with Japanese BGM, the original DB dub is open for the full-screen catching. ;)
DragonBall Z's discs only had 2 audio and subtitle tracks too, but they still had bitrate issues. Not using the full disc capacity and so forth. It made the episodes/movies really look like a mess when high speed action kicked in, especially since my setup upscales to 720p. Kinda depressing since I have other FUNi discs (Fruits Basket, Blue Gender, Samurai 7) and they haven't looked like such rush jobs (though I haven't seen the latter two fully, admittedly).

As for the dub, I saw parts on Cartoon Network, and while I may get it someday...it's around the bottom of the list. I own the series already, so buying it *again* wouldn't be too productive. I've got school to pay for, work to do on my pistols, other series I don't own yet that I wanna buy (waiting on my first volume of Kenshin to arrive currently), stuff on my car, etc.

Maybe when FUNi has the full series out I'll hit it during a sale at DeepDiscountDVD, but right now...I'm not worried. I considered getting these remastered sets fleetingly, but I snapped back out of it. I typically only buy something if its a significant upgrade, and I don't see anything surpassing the DragonBoxes for awhile, which is cool since I'm not ready to upload another ~$2800 on DragonBall (though it was over what, 3 years?) ;p
Tenken wrote:EDIT: oh yeah, and from what I could tell (or from what VLC is telling me, heh), the encode is VBR and peaked around 9 mbps...with 7 eps filling about 6.9 gigs of space on a dvd 9.
Hm, not bad. I'm not sure why they didn't use the extra 1GB and change they had, but the still images don't look too bad. I'd have to see it in motion, but if they got DragonBall right then good for them (and for you guys, of course...assuming it ever comes out over here ;p).
The DragonBox: The Movies are widescreen. In the end of movie 13 there are clips from the series in widescreen. I ripped it, here is good idea of how the FUNimation widescreen version would look (not talking about quality).
I wonder, can someone post the FUNi disc's version of the ending? I'm just curious as to whether Toei reframed the shots to begin with for widescreen, or just letterboxed the original animation from that episode.
ect5150 wrote:I don't think Funi's ever bothered to actually fill the discs. From what I remember, the movies fit on to a DVD-5 disc, giving them 4.7 Gigs of space roughly, but I remember movie 12 taking up roughly 2 gigs worth of space. It seems like they just have standard settings they run across each episode and never bothered to really optimize anything that much.
Yeah, that pretty much sums it up. Someone probably wrote a processing script for the MPEG-2 encoding, with a constant bitrate instead of a variable one. Why they set the bitrate so low is my question though. Colors get lost, mosquito noise reigns supreme, and high movement scenes are just a dirty blur. Look at Piccolo fighting Sauza and Coola's minions in movie 5, it's painful.

-Corey
Last edited by MajinVejitaXV on Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:21 am, edited 3 times in total.

Tenken
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tenken » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:17 am

fps_anth wrote:
OMFG I was just thinking about buying that. For about $80, going from the beginning of DB untill the end of the Baba saga, that's pretty damn good! The Funimation dub is used right? I know the Japanese dub is included, but I'm a fan of the Funi dub and wanted to make sure there isn't some crazy Australian dub included.

Indeed, Funimation should seriously do this for DBZ, NO WIDESCREEN, but the refurbishing and Japanese music track can stay. :D
yeah, its the FUNi dub. This is probably the same dvd that will be released here when they get back the rights (minus being region 4 and having Madman entertainment logos on it, heh).

...and I got this for $26 (shipped). Lemme dig up the link.

EDIT: I bought mine new from ebay (seller is out of stock), but you can also find it here: http://www.madman.com.au/actions/catalo ... ethod=view

Domon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Domon » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:52 pm

I, personally will be cancelling my pre-order for this boxset unless this widescreen issue is resolved by the February release date.
Anyone hoping to see this problem 'fixed' by February is hoping in vain. At this point, production of the discs are likely complete, or at least in mid-production. Any changes at this point would likely be too expensive and create a major delay in release (I'm no expert in dvd production, but I imagine it'd cost quite a bit of time to 'fix' the video, reajust the production equipment, etc. Not to mention the cost of "throwing away" unreleaseable discs). Odds are, we're better off waiting for the "It really IS uncut in frickkin' fullscreen, so stop complaining already edition".

So yeah, someone mentioned this earlier, but all you can really do about it is not to open up your wallet. I'm considering not buying this set because of this issue. And it's a shame really, since everything else about it sounds pretty good.

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:17 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote:
ect5150 wrote:I don't think Funi's ever bothered to actually fill the discs. From what I remember, the movies fit on to a DVD-5 disc, giving them 4.7 Gigs of space roughly, but I remember movie 12 taking up roughly 2 gigs worth of space. It seems like they just have standard settings they run across each episode and never bothered to really optimize anything that much.
Yeah, that pretty much sums it up. Someone probably wrote a processing script for the MPEG-2 encoding, with a constant bitrate instead of a variable one. Why they set the bitrate so low is my question though. Colors get lost, mosquito noise reigns supreme, and high movement scenes are just a dirty blur. Look at Piccolo fighting Sauza and Coola's minions in movie 5, it's painful.
There are a few discs (DVD-5) that had 5 eps that seem to fill the disc. I think they said "that's the most we'll put on a disc, so whats the average bitrate for those eps? Okay, just use that for ALL of them" .. then the marketing/business people decided to go with the 3 eps per disc to make more money
ect5150

John
Not-So-Newbie

Post by John » Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:16 pm

THE NEW DRAGONBALL Z ULTIMATE TURBO SUPREMO LEVEL 8 EDITION WILL INCLUDE:
-Remixed 5.1 Japanese Audio
-Original Mono Japanese Audio
-The Original edited English episodes for nostalgic purposes
-The Funi cast redub
-The Funi cast redub with the original Japanese score
-A brand new original Ocean cast dub with original Japanese score
-An optional "FILLER FILTER" that skips any filler material that can get skipped through
-Brand new animated menus from Toei on each disc and each volume
-Widescreen remastered video that's better than Dragonbox
-Fullscreen remastered video that's better than Dragonbox
-A 60 minute interview with Akira Toriyama
-A 7 hour video apology from Gen Fukunaga for all of Funimation's past mistakes

I'm still amped about the one that's coming out in February though.
(guitar solo goes here)

Kula
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kula » Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:44 pm

John wrote: -A brand new original Ocean cast dub with original Japanese score
-An optional "FILLER FILTER" that skips any filler material that can get skipped through
Now THAT would be awesome. If the Ocean cast came back to redub the parts they didn't do, I could forgive the widescreen.

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:40 pm

Well, I just came into some money before the Holidays and decide to get myself something. I just made an official F.U. to Funi for the widescreen releases. I ordered myself the Dragon Box The Movies set (apparently at at 40%) off, and I used my savings to order the single disc that has the major portion of the last of the Cell Games. Hopefully I'm making the right choice :lol:

But as expensive as the Dragon Box releases can be, I couldn't resist the 40% off. But as much as I like the quality of the single disc I currently have, I think I was floored by a few of the pictures posted here on the forums from the movies.

I just hope the international transaction went smoothly (ordered with Amazon JP for the first time)
ect5150