"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheDevilsCorpse

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sun May 10, 2015 6:40 pm

Marco Polo wrote:I don't see how it's getting ignored. It's likely that they're including it just as they are including Jaco, and either the date just happens to be an error or Goku really was 1 year-old in Minus since he isn't even human anyway and maybe Saiyans grow up like that.

Can we get 100% confirmation that the timeline says Bardock was sent into the past though? That's by the far the strangest thing in this timeline :shock:
Because Jaco, Minus and Battle of Gods are tied together with their statements on when they take place in regards Vegeta being destroyed and all that. This obviously isn't sticking to those dates and acknowledges two pieces of information that require the Bardock TV Special (baby Goku and Bardock's time travel).

Dragon Ball starts in AGE 749.
BOG occurs in AGE 778 and says Beerus slept for 39 years (unaware of Vegeta's destruction), so AGE 739.
Jaco is stated to take place 10 years prior to the start of the series, so in AGE 739, with Minus shortly before.
Goku is stated to be 3 by Gine, so born in either AGE 737 or 736 depending on how you count the years.
Last edited by TheDevilsCorpse on Sun May 10, 2015 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Captain Space
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Captain Space » Sun May 10, 2015 6:40 pm

Chuquita wrote:
Captain Space wrote:
Chuquita wrote: Koyama's disparaging remarks about Beerus compared to his Brolli also help in keeping Brolli from returning, I think.
What's this now?
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/2013/07/07/ta ... e-of-gods/

It's translated here.
Ah, thanks. Weird to think that that was the first time he saw a movie villain as being stronger than Broli. I mean, I guess he did create the character, but I don't see him as being stronger than Janemba or Hirudegarn.
sintzu wrote:
Dyno wrote:
EDIT: Using Google translate, I think it says Bardock was sent to a distant past...
It happened in an OVA tie-in for DB Heroes called Episode Of Bardock.
Pretty sure they know, they were just wondering why something like that would be mentioned without a star (or even at all, since GT isn't, nor is large sections of Minus).
"Actually I didn’t know what Bulma’s real hair color was" --Toriyama

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Sun May 10, 2015 6:49 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:
Marco Polo wrote:I don't see how it's getting ignored. It's likely that they're including it just as they are including Jaco, and either the date just happens to be an error or Goku really was 1 year-old in Minus since he isn't even human anyway and maybe Saiyans grow up like that.

Can we get 100% confirmation that the timeline says Bardock was sent into the past though? That's by the far the strangest thing in this timeline :shock:
Because Jaco, Minus and Battle of Gods are tied together with their statements on when they take place in regards Vegeta being destroyed and all that. This obviously isn't sticking to those dates and acknowledges two pieces of information that require the Bardock TV Special (baby Goku and Bardock's time travel).

Dragon Ball starts in AGE 749.
BOG occurs in AGE 778 and says Beerus slept for 39 years (unaware of Vegeta's destruction), so AGE 739.
Jaco is stated to take place 10 years prior to the start of the series, so in AGE 739, with Minus shortly before.
Goku is stated to be 3 by Gine, so born in either AGE 737 or 736 depending on how you count the years.
I'd rather have a minor numerical mistake in one date, than Toriyama somehow discarding half of his most recent DB manga story.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sun May 10, 2015 7:14 pm

There are less problems by just using the TV special with that entry, as you only need to make changes to a single work rather than multiple. As you'd only discard one (bonus) chapter, pretend Goku's a baby in Jaco's final chapter and change the story to take place 12 year prior rather than 10 and it fits well enough.

Otherwise you have to deal with the year issues in multiple stories, the age inconsistency with Goku, deal with Episode of Bardock referencing Bardock's crew on Meat from the TV special when none of Toriyama's Bardock material allows for that since we know he was part of a four man squad with Gine prior to Minus, and Freeza recalled all Saiyans to the homeworld anyway, etc.

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Sun May 10, 2015 8:40 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:There are less problems by just using the TV special with that entry, as you only need to make changes to a single work rather than multiple. As you'd only discard one (bonus) chapter, pretend Goku's a baby in Jaco's final chapter and change the story to take place 12 year prior rather than 10 and it fits well enough.

Otherwise you have to deal with the year issues in multiple stories, the age inconsistency with Goku, deal with Episode of Bardock referencing Bardock's crew on Meat from the TV special when none of Toriyama's Bardock material allows for that since we know he was part of a four man squad with Gine prior to Minus, and Freeza recalled all Saiyans to the homeworld anyway, etc.
Episode of Bardock doesn't affect anything, so who cares about inconsistencies there?

Goku was born on an alien planet, what are the odds that Gohan even guessed his exact age correct anyways? Besides, given Bulma's age, and that Beerus slept for 39 years after Vegeta's destruction, Age 739 for Minus/Jaco and Age 778 for Battle of Gods makes the most sense. Bulma can be a late 5, and Goku an early 3 (or late 2 that was rounded up by Gine).
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

Dyno
Banned

Post by Dyno » Sun May 10, 2015 8:48 pm

It's not like if Dragon Ball GT, Movies 1-4 Dragon Ball, Movies 1-13 Dragon Ball Z, Hatchyack's OVA and Dragon Ball GT's TV Special affect something as well.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sun May 10, 2015 9:53 pm

Mewzard wrote:Episode of Bardock doesn't affect anything, so who cares about inconsistencies there?

Goku was born on an alien planet, what are the odds that Gohan even guessed his exact age correct anyways? Besides, given Bulma's age, and that Beerus slept for 39 years after Vegeta's destruction, Age 739 for Minus/Jaco and Age 778 for Battle of Gods makes the most sense. Bulma can be a late 5, and Goku an early 3 (or late 2 that was rounded up by Gine).
The bulk of Episode of Bardock itself doesn't really effect anything because almost all of it is in the past, but the continuity context of coming off the Bardock special and having a few references to it in the form of things like Bardock's TV Special crew is a thing. And if it's not being ☆'d on the timeline, I'm going to care more about the inconsistencies than I would for things like Garlic Jr. and the driving episode.

I'm not talking about a problem with Goku's age in the story, I'm talking about what we as the reader know about his age. Marco Polo was suggesting that Dragon Ball Minus, as per the timeline (if it's not an error), could potentially take place in 737 and Goku is actually 1...when he's stated to be 3 in the chapter.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun May 10, 2015 9:58 pm

Episode of Bardock is consider to be a what if story from Ooishi. If it's a what if story then it should not be apart of the main timeline. Hence the word "What If" ;).
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sun May 10, 2015 10:04 pm

I'm well aware of the classification. Again though, it's being acknowledged on the timeline (unlike movies prior to DBZ 14 and 15) and not being given a star (like the Garlic Jr. Arc or the driving episode).

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun May 10, 2015 10:46 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:Dragon Ball starts in AGE 749.
BOG occurs in AGE 778 and says Beerus slept for 39 years...

Fake

Goku is not 29 years old in BoG, sorry
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Dyno
Banned

Post by Dyno » Sun May 10, 2015 10:53 pm

Noah wrote:Fake

Kakarot was born in Age 736 (or Age 737). 736 + 29 = 765 (or Age 766).

Where the hell did you come up with "29"? :eh:

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sun May 10, 2015 10:58 pm

Noah wrote:
TheDevilsCorpse wrote:Dragon Ball starts in AGE 749.
BOG occurs in AGE 778 and says Beerus slept for 39 years...
Fake

It's not fake. Rather, you seem either uninformed or are confused? Dragon Ball starts with the Pilaf Arc. He'd be 41, 34 physically because of the whole death thing between Cell and Buu.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun May 10, 2015 11:15 pm

Dyno wrote:

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:It's not fake. Rather, you seem either uninformed or are confused? Dragon Ball starts with the Pilaf Arc. He'd be 41, 34 physically because of the whole death thing between Cell and Buu.

Oh I thought when he said that Dragon Ball started age 749 it was when Goku born

So 778 - 749 = 29

Sorry lol
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Dyno
Banned

Post by Dyno » Sun May 10, 2015 11:17 pm

Yeah, originally Dragon Ball starts in Age 739 and with Bardock and a random mate mass-murdering (?), but you know... :roll:

SSJGFrieza
Banned

Post by SSJGFrieza » Mon May 11, 2015 1:41 am

Dyno wrote:

He's 8 years younger than he should be on account of dying twice
Linda Young 4 lyfe

Vegitofaxx
Regular

Post by Vegitofaxx » Mon May 11, 2015 1:44 am

SSJGFrieza wrote:
Dyno wrote:

He's 8 years younger than he should be on account of dying twice
Actually, it's only 7 years. He regained that year of being dead in the ROSAT.
Here lies a modified Doctor Who qoute. It was killed too early by the moderators. R.I.P.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Steam: The Muncher of Da Biscuits.
PSN: Joeythekiller123
Playing XenoVerse on Pc. BP = 10370. Primary CaC: Tapaha. Always ready for an invite :D
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jackass, #1 Hellsing fan, Translator for the Danish version of DBM(always two pages ahead of you), Chilling on da forums 8)

JamesOwnz
Beyond Newbie

Post by JamesOwnz » Mon May 11, 2015 3:04 am

Can't wait to hear more.

SSJGFrieza
Banned

Post by SSJGFrieza » Mon May 11, 2015 9:16 am

How long until V-Jump?
Linda Young 4 lyfe

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Mon May 11, 2015 9:46 am

SSJGFrieza wrote:How long until V-Jump?
It's released officially on the 21st, but there's usually a leak. So, if we're very lucky, we may have something by the end of the week.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon May 11, 2015 2:59 pm

It's also possible that we could see a leak toy catalogue soon. Toys can help us give us a general idea what the show can give us in store.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/