"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Piririn
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by Piririn » Tue May 19, 2015 3:38 am

UpFromTheSkies wrote:
Piririn wrote:I'm hoping Super doesn't follow directly after RoF. I want it to break new ground; develop the younger generation and be completely free to let the story go anywhere. Setting it after RoF would box the show in. Unless the epilogue is completely discarded, the show would have to lead to that status quo. There'd be a subsequent limit to the story possibilities, and a lack of tension/drama because we'd know exactly how everything/everyone ends up.
They could do both. Judging from Masako Nozawa's comments, TOEI is planning/hoping for the series to go on for a long time. Toriyama could also start Super by saying something like "At the end of the last Dragon Ball manga, I showed you how things might have turned out if there had been 10 years of peace after the defeat of Majin Buu, but now allow me to tell you the story of what really happened..."
I think it'd seriously annoy and confuse a lot of fans if Toei and Toriyama did that. Especially the newer fans going straight from the Kai epilogue to Super, who aren't used to canon and retcon issues like the long-term fans are. It'd probably come across as really weird and pointless - being shown how everyone had progressed and seeing new characters, only for it to all have never happened.

If the epilogue is discarded, I think it needs to be done in an honest way. With the fans being told what's being done and why. A lot of people will still be upset, but not as much as if they were told that what they'd just seen was just a purposeless 'what-if' story.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue May 19, 2015 5:14 am

I truly hope it isnt set after EoZ. Everyone looks so old and Goku's blue outfit is ugly and I dont like Uub. I am hoping Toriyama forgets EoZ and just continues after "F".

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Tue May 19, 2015 6:11 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:I truly hope it isnt set after EoZ. Everyone looks so old and Goku's blue outfit is ugly and I dont like Uub. I am hoping Toriyama forgets EoZ and just continues after "F".
Thank goodness someone else agrees, I was starting to think I was alone with regards to this. If it does end up being after Z then I'll just have to deal with it, perhaps Vegetas moustache will return? XD

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Tue May 19, 2015 6:41 am

Piririn wrote:
UpFromTheSkies wrote:
Piririn wrote:I'm hoping Super doesn't follow directly after RoF. I want it to break new ground; develop the younger generation and be completely free to let the story go anywhere. Setting it after RoF would box the show in. Unless the epilogue is completely discarded, the show would have to lead to that status quo. There'd be a subsequent limit to the story possibilities, and a lack of tension/drama because we'd know exactly how everything/everyone ends up.
They could do both. Judging from Masako Nozawa's comments, TOEI is planning/hoping for the series to go on for a long time. Toriyama could also start Super by saying something like "At the end of the last Dragon Ball manga, I showed you how things might have turned out if there had been 10 years of peace after the defeat of Majin Buu, but now allow me to tell you the story of what really happened..."
I think it'd seriously annoy and confuse a lot of fans if Toei and Toriyama did that. Especially the newer fans going straight from the Kai epilogue to Super, who aren't used to canon and retcon issues like the long-term fans are. It'd probably come across as really weird and pointless - being shown how everyone had progressed and seeing new characters, only for it to all have never happened.

If the epilogue is discarded, I think it needs to be done in an honest way. With the fans being told what's being done and why. A lot of people will still be upset, but not as much as if they were told that what they'd just seen was just a purposeless 'what-if' story.
Kai may not even show EoZ because it could be confusing to younger fans watching the show for the first time to see them skip 10 years, and then go backwards with Super.

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Tue May 19, 2015 7:06 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:I truly hope it isnt set after EoZ. Everyone looks so old and Goku's blue outfit is ugly and I dont like Uub. I am hoping Toriyama forgets EoZ and just continues after "F".
I'm up for this! Goku FnF Gi>>>>>>>EoZ Goku Gi> Orange and blue Goku Gi, I dont like Uub as well, and would prefer the continuation to be after FnF not EoZ and make a new ending for DB.

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Tue May 19, 2015 9:22 am

Forums have felt a little quiet lately. Anyone else sensing a bit of a calm before the Super storm?

When you think about how much impact the movies had, it'll be incredibly interesting to see just how much this series changes the landscape of, not just Kanzenshuu, but the fandom as a whole.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue May 19, 2015 10:04 am

My personal ideal scenario would be for Dragon Ball Super takes place right after ROF and then progress to after EOZ. That way, any loose ends could be tied up in the five years remaining in the "lost decade" between the end of the Majin Boo arc and EOZ and new stories can be covered after EOZ. Everybody wins.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Tue May 19, 2015 10:34 am

I'm indifferent to Uub, but I love Goku's blue dogi and was moderately sad when it wasn't used in the last two films.

As for everyone looking too old by the End of Z, I don't really get it for the most part. Battle of Gods was set 4 years after Buu's defeat, but most of the characters arguably looked younger than they did in that arc (Kuririn especially). The only real exception was Gohan prior to donning his dogi, but he and half the rest of the utilized cast look even younger a year later in Resurrection F. For the End of Z, the oldest looking "main" characters at that point are Yamcha, Kuririn and Bluma. Though most of that age "problem" can be solved with a new set of clothes and a haircut...
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Tue May 19, 2015 10:43 am

Suddenly we have news!

A website and the announcement of the OP and ED!

I loved Good Morning America's ED for Kai, so consider me very happy!
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Tue May 19, 2015 10:50 am

I remember liking Dear Zarathustra well enough to be okay with the band returning to do another song for the franchise. I'm completely unfamiliar with Kazuya Yoshii or The Yellow Monkey though...the band name is oddly fitting for Dragon Ball though, all things considered. :P

...Oh, wait, looking into Yellow Monkey, I guess I am familiar with at least one song of theirs - they did 'Tactics', one of the ending themes for Rurouni Kenshin. I like the song, but...admittedly, just based on it alone, having a hard time imagining them doing something for Dragon Ball, especially an opening rather than an ending...hmm.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue May 19, 2015 11:01 am

DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Forums have felt a little quiet lately. Anyone else sensing a bit of a calm before the Super storm?

When you think about how much impact the movies had, it'll be incredibly interesting to see just how much this series changes the landscape of, not just Kanzenshuu, but the fandom as a whole.
All it takes is just the reveal of a logo or one key art image and this forum will explode again. Just you wait and see. :)

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue May 19, 2015 11:14 am

Is the image in that link not the logo?
Also hello BOG Gokû character art of all things as that only confuses me more. We getting thrown a curveball and going in between BOG and F? If so...I'm ok with that; increases my chances of a ssjg Gokû sighting. :3

You'd think they'd slap his character art from F on there, since he has character art for his base form from F.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

EA575
Regular

Post by EA575 » Tue May 19, 2015 11:20 am

Gyt Kaliba wrote:I remember liking Dear Zarathustra well enough to be okay with the band returning to do another song for the franchise. I'm completely unfamiliar with Kazuya Yoshii or The Yellow Monkey though...the band name is oddly fitting for Dragon Ball though, all things considered. :P

...Oh, wait, looking into Yellow Monkey, I guess I am familiar with at least one song of theirs - they did 'Tactics', one of the ending themes for Rurouni Kenshin. I like the song, but...admittedly, just based on it alone, having a hard time imagining them doing something for Dragon Ball, especially an opening rather than an ending...hmm.
They disbanded in 2004, so it'll just be the vocalist from that band.

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Tue May 19, 2015 11:20 am

The picture of Goku's gi almost tells us that it wont be after FnF..... :( I was looking forward to more Bluper saiyans and Goku's FnF Gi.....

EA575
Regular

Post by EA575 » Tue May 19, 2015 11:26 am

SansrivaaL wrote:The picture of Goku's gi almost tells us that it wont be after FnF..... :( I was looking forward to more Bluper saiyans and Goku's FnF Gi.....
I wouldn't read too much into that. It's probably just some random Goku pic they had lying around.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue May 19, 2015 11:28 am

I don't get the whole old cast being too old by the end of DBZ thing neither? Goku, Vegeta and Gohan don't look much different then they do now. Not to mention you have Pan, Bra and Uub to be the next generation of fighters. Fans wanted Toriyama to give us a real ending to DBZ since people where let down by GT and now this is his chance to close out the story for good.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Tue May 19, 2015 11:31 am

Isn't that promo art for Battle of Gods that was used with the KFC promotion or something? Anyway, they've been using art of Goku from the Buu Arc, BOG and F to promote Super thus far. I think it's safe to say we just need to stop jumping to conclusions and wait for them to release proper information when they are ready for the big reveal.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue May 19, 2015 11:35 am

It's character art Yamamuro drew for the reference sheets for BOG. If you check BOG's character page it's there.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue May 19, 2015 11:35 am

Just spent a couple of time listening to Kazuya Yoshii's songs. I like them, I think he'll do good.

Dyno
Banned

Post by Dyno » Tue May 19, 2015 12:18 pm

SansrivaaL wrote:The picture of Goku's gi almost tells us that it wont be after FnF..... :( I was looking forward to more Bluper saiyans and Goku's FnF Gi.....
That picture doesn't tell anything, it is just for the sake of merch.