Battle of Gods German Dub News/Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Battle of Gods German Dub News/Discussion

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:52 pm

So, I know there are other Kanzenshuuers here who are interested in international dubs, so I figured I'd post an update and start a thread on something that Universum Anime promised a while ago: a German dub of Battle of Gods!

They announced a few months ago on their Facebook page that they got it, and then promised an update...but an update never came. They later clarified that they were trying to get the rights to the extended cut, and that they had hit a bit of a delay because the negotiations were not being resolved as quickly as they had hoped (and this, by the way, is why other anime companies take so long to announce their acquisitions: they don't want to announce anything until they've got all those details settled...can you imagine how awkward it would have been if Universum said they were trying to get the extended cut, only to later say, "Well, turns out we didn't get it...sorry"?).

However, they announced on April 1st (which they then had to clarify in the comments section was not an April Fool's Day joke after someone asked) on their Facebook page that they did, indeed, manage to get a hold of the extended cut! No announcements yet regarding casting, although they indicated months ago that they would try to get as much of the original German DBZ dub cast back as they could. They'll be premiering the dub at a German anime con, AnimagiC 2015, and a few months later, a DVD and Blu-ray release will follow, with a limited edition included. No word yet on whether or not that will include the original Japanese audio track with German subtitles...you'd think that would be a given, but they deemed the original Japanese audio track for DBZ to be too expensive, and so the German DVD release of the show doesn't have it.

Their announcement is copied below, with a Bing translation of their announcement into English right below (baring in mind that "synchronization" is their term for dubbing, and "spokesman" or "synchronize-speakers" are their terms for dubbing actors):

":: DRAGONBALL Z: KAMPF DER GÖTTER ::

Hallo zusammen,

wir wissen, dass wir lange Zeit nichts von uns hören haben lassen in Sachen Dragonball Z. Aber wir freuen uns Euch mitzuteilen, dass wir den Extended Cut nun für EUCH nachverhandelt haben.

- Sprecherauswahl: Wir können zum gegenwärtigen Zeitpunkt noch NICHTS sagen, da wir mit der konkreten Planung der Synchronisation erst in den nächsten Wochen starten werden.

- Veröffentlichungsplanung: Nach derzeitigem Stand (wir betonen DERZEITIGER STAND!) planen wir die Deutschlandpremiere auf der AnimagiC 2015 inkl. Vorabverkauf der Limited Collector’s Edition (inkl. DVD & Blu-ray + Booklet + Postkartenset). Der reguläre Veröffentlichungstermin der Standard DVD, Standard Blu-ray und Limited Collector's Edition ist dann für ca. Mitte/Ende August geplant. Die unverbindlichen Preisempfehlungen werden wir zu gegebener Zeit nachreichen!

- Aufruf: Bitte postet in den Kommentaren, alle Eure Anmerkungen die Ihr habt (BITTE kurzhalten und KEINE Romane :-)) Wir werden alles aufmerksam lesen, bitten jedoch um Verständnis, dass wir nicht individuell antworten werden!

Viele Grüße
Euer Team von Universum Anime"

BING TRANSLATION:
: DRAGON BALL Z: BATTLE OF GODS:

Hello together,

We know that none of us have heard long time let in terms of Dragon Ball Z. But we are pleased to inform you that we now have renegotiated the extended cut for you.

-Selection of spokesman for: we can say anything at the moment because we will first start with the planning of the synchronization in the next few weeks.

-Publication: current (we stress state of play!) we planning the Germany premiere at the AnimagiC 2015 including pre-sale of limited collector it Edition (incl. DVD & Blu-ray + booklet + post card set). The regular date of publication of the standard DVD, Blu-ray standard and limited collector then there is Edition for approx. Planned mid/late August. We will submit the non-binding price recommendations in due time!

-Call: Please post all your comments you have in the comments, (Please keep brief and no novels :-)) we all read, however, ask for your understanding that we are not individually respond!)

Many greetings
Team universe anime
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Javaki
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Battle of Gods German Dub News/Discussion

Post by Javaki » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:17 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote: No word yet on whether or not that will include the original Japanese audio track with German subtitles...you'd think that would be a given, but they deemed the original Japanese audio track for DBZ to be too expensive, and so the German DVD release of the show doesn't have it.
That's true for the TV series, but the movie releases (by Kaze) do feature the original Japanese audio tracks with German subtitles. Also, Universum Anime's releases almost always include the original audio.

songohan619
Patreon Supporter

Post by songohan619 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:18 am

This sounds awesome! :D

Javaki
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Javaki » Wed May 20, 2015 5:14 pm

Yeay, the Limited Collector’s Edition will include the 18 postcards and the booklet (German translation) from the Japanese Special Limited Edition Box :D
The currently planned release date is 21 August 2015

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Wed May 20, 2015 9:55 pm

Good news for German fans. Meanwhile Poland still didn't recieve official BOG release in any form, let alone ROF. :?

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Thu May 21, 2015 3:51 pm

An update was posted yesterday, but still no cast announcements. They did talk about why they haven't talked about it, but as I don't speak German, and the auto-translation surprisingly terrible, I'm not sure what they were saying. I was wondering if somebody could translate (or, at least, give us the general gist of) what this says?

"Hallo zusammen,

aufgrund der weiterhin zahlreichen Anfragen zum Release, möchten wir Euch heute informieren, dass die Planungen für die Veröffentlichung I'm Hintergrund auf Hochtouren laufen.

Wir wissen, dass viele von Euch enttäuscht sind, dass wir noch immer keine offiziellen Aussagen zum Synchroncast kommuniziert haben. Fakt ist jedoch, dass wir nichts kommunizieren, was nicht in trockenen Tüchern ist. Es versteht sich für uns von selbst das wir erst dann Bekanntmachungen verbreiten wenn die entsprechenden Sachverhalte I'm Hintergrund verbindlich geklärt wurden.

Von außen betrachtet mag Euch der Zeitraum wie lange das I'm Hintergrund alles dauert sehr lange erscheinen. Wir können Euch versichern, dass bestimmte Prozesse schlichtweg aufeinander aufbauen. So werden Synchronsprecher beispielsweise nicht direkt nach Lizenzierung von uns angefragt sondern vom Synchronstudio nachdem der Synchronauftrag vergeben wurde. Die Nachverhandlungen für den Extended Cut, haben hier viel Zeit in Anspruch genommen, sodass bestimmte Prozesse in dieser Zeit schlichtweg nicht vorangetrieben werden konnten, da sowohl die Beauftragung des Synchronstudios als auch des Dialogbuchautors solange nicht möglich waren bis die Verhandlungen um den Extended Cut erfolgreich abgeschlossen waren und man uns das notwendige OV Material bereitgestellt hat. "
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Timo
Regular

Post by Timo » Thu May 21, 2015 5:14 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:An update was posted yesterday, but still no cast announcements. They did talk about why they haven't talked about it, but as I don't speak German, and the auto-translation surprisingly terrible, I'm not sure what they were saying. I was wondering if somebody could translate (or, at least, give us the general gist of) what this says?
I'll do it. Give me a "sec".

EDIT:

There you go:

"Hello everybody,

due to the many inquiries arising, we would like to announce today that plans for the release are currently in progress.

We know that many of you are dissappointed at the fact that we have not yet made any official announcements regarding the cast. However, we never release information that has not been fully verified. We will therefore only announce things once they have been definitely confirmed.

You may have the impression that our efforts in the background seems to take too much time, however, we can reassure you that certain processes simply depend on each other. For example, voice actors are not directly booked upon acquiring the license to a show. Instead this is a job done by the dubbing studio that is commissioned. Renegotiations for the Extended Cut were time-consuming, thus delaying certain processes. Commissioning a dubbing studio or let alone a dubbing director / writer remained impossible until these renegotiaions were completed and the necessary footage was obtained."

By the way, TheBlackPaladin, I sent you a PM last week with some information about the Kai dub

Javaki
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Javaki » Tue May 26, 2015 1:13 pm

Pre-orders are up on amazon.de:
DVD - MSRP: € 19.99
Blu-ray - MSRP: € 24.99
"Limited Collector's Edition" DVD+Blu-ray - MSRP: € 29.99

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Tue May 26, 2015 3:10 pm

Timo wrote:By the way, TheBlackPaladin, I sent you a PM last week with some information about the Kai dub
I'm sorry Timo, I know you did...I actually have tried to reply to it several times, but Kanzenshuu keeps giving me an odd kind of error/glitch message every time I've tried to send a reply. I'm not sure how to fix that (or if I even can fix that).

In any event, since this is public and not a PM, I can't go into all the detail that I went into (or, more appropriately, tried to go into) in my PM replies. Having said that, here's what I can say publicly: thanks very much for the info--good stuff!

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue May 26, 2015 4:20 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:
Timo wrote:By the way, TheBlackPaladin, I sent you a PM last week with some information about the Kai dub
I'm sorry Timo, I know you did...I actually have tried to reply to it several times, but Kanzenshuu keeps giving me an odd kind of error/glitch message every time I've tried to send a reply. I'm not sure how to fix that (or if I even can fix that).

In any event, since this is public and not a PM, I can't go into all the detail that I went into (or, more appropriately, tried to go into) in my PM replies. Having said that, here's what I can say publicly: thanks very much for the info--good stuff!
Knowing what he talks about... I'd rather say... Bad stuff, very bad stuff...

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Tue May 26, 2015 4:38 pm

sangofe wrote:
TheBlackPaladin wrote:

Knowing what he talks about... I'd rather say... Bad stuff, very bad stuff...
Well, there was a specific part of it that was very good...which unfortunately didn't work out...

But I guess you're right, for the most part, bad stuff. I probably shouldn't say more.

Timo
Regular

Post by Timo » Tue May 26, 2015 5:41 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:

Yes, my account was deactivated the last few days (because I changed my e-mail address oO). Maybe this was the reason you got the error.

Javaki
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Javaki » Fri May 29, 2015 4:59 am

Provisional cover art has been released:
Javaki wrote: DVD - MSRP: € 19.99
Javaki wrote: Blu-ray - MSRP: € 24.99
Javaki wrote: "Limited Collector's Edition" DVD+Blu-ray - MSRP: € 29.99

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri May 29, 2015 2:39 pm

If anything the covers look nice.

Timo
Regular

Post by Timo » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:10 am

I'm really surprised! They managed to get the old cast for the movie.

https://www.facebook.com/UniversumAnime ... ef=message
Son Goku - Tommy Morgenstern
Beerus - Oliver Stritzel
Whis - Oliver Feld
Vegeta - Oliver Siebeck
Bulma - Claudia Urbschat Mingues
Master Kaio - Rüdiger Evers
Young Trunks - Amadeus Strobl
Kuririn/Krillin - Wanja Gerick
Son-Gohan - Robin Kahnmeyer
Muten Roshi - Karl Schulz
Piccolo - David Nathan
Tenshinhan - Julien Haggége
Freezer - Thomas Nero Wolff

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:45 am

Hmm, interesting...

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:51 am

Cool! It'll be interesting to hear what they can do after the years that have passed since they last did anything Dragon Ball-related.

Also, Timo, I still keep getting an error message in the Kanzenshuu messaging system every time I try to reply to your PM...so, sorry about that, but this news is all the more interesting considering what you told me.

PS: After double-checking, it looks like you weren't kidding...they literally got every single voice actor from the original cast back that could come back! The only ones who were recast were Trunks and Goten because their original actors are too old to play their parts anymore.

InfernalVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by InfernalVegito » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:22 pm

Pure euphoria on my side. Didn't think they would get them all back, even Thomas Nero Wolff which is funny considering Freezer is barely in the film. I hope they'll all come back for RoF then too.
BT3 off meds | The final fight

Ah, the Alpha and the Omega. As all life was created from Chaos...so shall it be DESTROYED!!!

The wails of machines | Singing cold harmony | Shifting air upward | Entranced by the breeze | Light pours like blood | Into a cosmic sea | Of stars crystallized | In a frozen symphony

Vegetto kicking you into orbit theme

Timo
Regular

Post by Timo » Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:45 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote:Cool! It'll be interesting to hear what they can do after the years that have passed since they last did anything Dragon Ball-related.

Also, Timo, I still keep getting an error message in the Kanzenshuu messaging system every time I try to reply to your PM...so, sorry about that, but this news is all the more interesting considering what you told me.
Weird. Are you on Facebook?
PS: After double-checking, it looks like you weren't kidding...they literally got every single voice actor from the original cast back that could come back! The only ones who were recast were Trunks and Goten because their original actors are too old to play their parts anymore.
The new VAs for Goten and Trunks are also way too old and not fitting in my opinion. Then again, I don't like much of the cast either, so it's only consequent in that way. ;D

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:18 am

Another Must buy.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"