"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JamesOwnz
Beyond Newbie

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by JamesOwnz » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:54 am

I wasn't expecting it to take place after Z... but really think it should take place after RoF... Possible the series will move past these eras while it moves forward but I doubt it.

Looking forward to full trailer on Monday.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:31 am

SSJGFrieza wrote:Let's face it Super will suck because it's not after EoZ
Right because the last time we had EoZ it did not suck right?... Seriously we had EoZ in DBGT and Fans want the exact same thing again? Smh at that one. The further they stay way from GT the better.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:46 am

EXBadguy wrote:
Nickolaidas wrote:, I have *no* idea where the android/Cell saga came from.
Seriousness power levels

King Piccolo saga- Kaioken
Saiyan saga- Super Saiyan
Freeza saga- Super Saiyan 2
Cell saga- Super Saiyan 3

See what I'm trying to do here?
Honestly, no I don't.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:47 am

godku23 wrote:I am very excited. When i got into this series years ago, i had no idea I'd be able to see anything new anime wise. My hype is at significantly higher levels than when Battle of Gods came out. Its a new series! I personally see no need to be disappointed, but my experience with the series is also different than anyone else's. Be mad and unsatisfied if you want, but no one's going to make me feel the same way (except maybe Toriyama/Toei).
Finally someone I agree with :) I also found the animation, and especially angles, pleasant. Really, really looking forward to this awesomeness :)

Barunks
Beyond Newbie

Post by Barunks » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:49 am

The trailer looking like a prequel to the movies makes me think that Super will start with illustrating the exact point when the divergence occurred that separated the current movie timeline from the GT timeline. I'm expecting some time travel stuff if I am right.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:51 am

If people want to let the fact this won't be starting at EoZ bother them to the point it spoils it for them, let them carry on. I personally see no negatives, this is going to be fantastic, and I can't wait to see the first episode!.

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:58 am

Barunks wrote:The trailer looking like a prequel to the movies makes me think that Super will start with illustrating the exact point when the divergence occurred that separated the current movie timeline from the GT timeline. I'm expecting some time travel stuff if I am right.
Not to shoot you down, but I think it's more likely that the GT issue will just be roundly ignored. It's simply something that they don't need or want to address. GT is a product that Toei still sells, the last thing they want to do is to introduce material that makes a point of negating or side-lining it.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

Captain Space
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Captain Space » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:58 am

Barunks wrote:The trailer looking like a prequel to the movies makes me think that Super will start with illustrating the exact point when the divergence occurred that separated the current movie timeline from the GT timeline. I'm expecting some time travel stuff if I am right.
Not that that wouldn't be interesting, but I'm not sure if I can see Toei bothering to try to link everything together like that. It's not like they tried to explain when and how several of their 13 movies happened.
"Actually I didn’t know what Bulma’s real hair color was" --Toriyama

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:06 am

JamesOwnz wrote:I wasn't expecting it to take place after Z... but really think it should take place after RoF... Possible the series will move past these eras while it moves forward but I doubt it.

Looking forward to full trailer on Monday.
Considering Beerus is awake, I think it's safe to assume that Super takes place after ROF.

Jaetinh
Regular

Post by Jaetinh » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:08 am

I never expected it to be after EoZ and there weren't any indications at all, hinting something like that. People are fucking raging here and there, it's hilarious reading the comments.

BlackCatScott
Regular

Post by BlackCatScott » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:13 am

I find it amazing that people can come to the conclusion that this series will be shit after seeing 16 seconds of footage. People are so quick to jump to conclusions on the internet these days. I don't understand the outrage with it taking place in the time lapse between end of Buu and the end of Z. Is it really that big of a deal? Battle of Gods does, Resurrection F does and it's still great content for us.

Also it doesn't mean that new characters cannot be introduced... it simply means they wouldn't be at the tournament at the end of Z. We can be introduced to new heroes just as easily as we can to new villains. As for possible deaths and such, our heroes never stay dead in Dragon Ball. I don't expect that to change and I wouldn't even if it did take place after the end of Z.

Am I missing something?

BeholdeR

Post by BeholdeR » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:16 am

BlackCatScott wrote:I find it amazing that people can come to the conclusion that this series will be shit after seeing 16 seconds of footage. People are so quick to jump to conclusions on the internet these days. I don't understand the outrage with it taking place in the time lapse between end of Buu and the end of Z. Is it really that big of a deal? Battle of Gods does, Resurrection F does and it's still great content for us.

Also it doesn't mean that new characters cannot be introduced... it simply means they wouldn't be at the tournament at the end of Z. We can be introduced to new heroes just as easily as we can to new villains. As for possible deaths and such, our heroes never stay dead in Dragon Ball. I don't expect that to change and I wouldn't even if it did take place after the end of Z.

Am I missing something?
Also why can't the story later go forward and beyond the last tournament ._.

People shudn't jump the gun so quickly ^^
fadeddreams5 wrote:If Gohan fights, he is 100% getting knocked the **** out.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:20 am

Screen captures I did in slightly better quality :)

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:32 am

Awesome thanks!!

Oh and guys it does take place after BoG and F as per the description they tweeted out a few weeks ago.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:40 am

Gohan's eyes are fully outlined again, like they were back in Battle of Gods.

They weren't in Resurrection 'F' though.

Flame Dragon
Regular

Post by Flame Dragon » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:45 am

Doctor. wrote:Gohan's eyes are fully outlined again, like they were back in Battle of Gods.

They weren't in Resurrection 'F' though.
Because in F he was in full Yamcha mode i guess.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:53 am

Looks perfect in every aspect so far, with perfect decisions it seems! 8)
The Dragon Team as we love it and when we love it most, with the most promising era. Wish granted, I'm more excited than ever before and the wait is getting hard! :thumbup:

Theories:

- Kaio screams in his car because Goku suddenly teleported right in front of him (which is also why Goku would look embarrassed while being at Kaio's place in one shot). This could just be a scare, force Kaio out of the road or lead to an actual crash.

- There is no proof of that, but for some reason, when I look at the shot of Piccolo, I can't help but imagining that he's watching over Goten and Trunks with the bottle (it could possibly because watching over them was what he did in the Boo saga which I just saw with Kai, so it might influence my mind).

- Trunks look really stylish, just look at him when he gives that punch with the leaf flowing on the screen. He is likely not meant to look more like a grown-up, but somehow, due to his costume - and his facial expressions apparently -, he does seem more grown-up in all shots, even if it's probably not intended that way. Sort of a coincidence due to his new look and the way he's drawned, making him look slightly more mature when it is not meant to be that way.

- It is possible that Goku and Vegeta are just checking on their own power, not actually facing anyone. They are certainly not training together (one is in day time while the other is under a starlit night sky), and the way the Goku shot is done somehow makes me imagine that there's nobody else around and that he'll punch the ground on purpose out of curiosity over his own strength or something, not because he tried to hit someone.

- Is Beerus around planet Saturn, meaning the two are around Earth and have something to watch/do there? (eating food, perhaps?) Well, that's an untrustworthy clue, since many planets other than planet Saturn can have a ring around them throughout the universe.

- The bottle Trunks holds could contain many things, supernatural or not. Since we don't know much for now, we can only go for the most simple explanation in the meantime: it does seem to me simple water. It's possible that the boys actually simply go get some water supply for the Son family (the family may get the water they drink from nearby natural sources). They would encounter the dinosaur (which happens a lot around Mount Paozu where the Son family lives) and live a short adventure just on an everyday ordinary mission. This sort of throws out my feeling about Piccolo watching them since why would he keep an eye on them for such a casual task?
Last edited by Cold Skin on Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:01 am, edited 3 times in total.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:58 am

I didn't notice it was night time where Vegeta was.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

SSJGBGoku
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SSJGBGoku » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:05 am

I think this place post-(Yo Son Goku and his friends return) because :

1) Goku is a radish farmer in special and wore different clothes, in trailer he wore same clothes as special and was in middle of farm, Goten wore same clothes he wore in special and Satan (I think) wore same clothes too, and last, Krillin had same look he had in special (Krillin was shown in end).

I think after first few episodes, series will be after BoF/FnF because by the end, Vegeta (I guess) he wore same armor with Whis's insignia .

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:09 am

BlackCatScott wrote:I find it amazing that people can come to the conclusion that this series will be shit after seeing 16 seconds of footage. People are so quick to jump to conclusions on the internet these days. I don't understand the outrage with it taking place in the time lapse between end of Buu and the end of Z. Is it really that big of a deal? Battle of Gods does, Resurrection F does and it's still great content for us. Am I missing something?
The outrage is fairly applied. The trailer was generic and it feels like the series is stuck in time now. Plotline set-ups are redundant, characters stopped aging, no new changes in character depth or growth for certain others. People can be rightfully mad, I'm angry that Goten & Trunks are still kids and going through their usual, unfunny shinanigans still. All of the scenery feels recycled and there isnt any feeling of real progression anymore, not to mention Goku EOZ will be a billion times stronger than Uub now if thats even a thing. Not to mention Beerus and Whis are featured again? If so, my expectations will be kept low.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.