"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

NinjaGoku
Beyond Newbie

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by NinjaGoku » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:52 am

Does anyone else suspect Jaco might get a proper re-introduction to Super? I far as I know, he just kinda appeared outta no-where as a known character in ROF, I could be wrong. Of course we've seen him in the manga but I don't know how that fits into the anime.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:54 am

ThatGuyNamedChancey wrote:
UpFromTheSkies wrote:
Luso Saiyan wrote:Nobody ever said they are going to rewrite the movies. They are going to expand on them.
Don't bother explaining, I've been saying this for weeks, for some reason no one gets it, they think it must be a rewrite.
I guess both of you haven't seen the main site. :wink:

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/2015/07/01/dr ... ries-plot/
Akira Toriyama wrote:"Dragon Ball Super is a complete continuation of the Majin Buu story arc. It’s got a bit of post-battle aftermath, continues with the “Battle of Gods” arc where the God of Destruction Beerus appears and the “Revival of ‘F'” arc where Freeza comes back to life."
Again, turning the story into TV episodes and adding content =/= rewrite. BoG extended version wasn't a rewrite.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:56 am

UpFromTheSkies wrote:Again, turning the story into TV episodes
I wouldn't even say they're doing that, but yes, the point is there's nothing that says they'll be rewritten.

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:10 am

Gotta be honest, after seeing the newest site update, my excitement level skyrocketed. It's really nice to have it confirmed so early on that this will cover more than just the BoG time frame. If they're retelling BoG/FnF, then perhaps 100+ episodes doesn't sound too farfetched. I would even be fine with some Towa/Mira episodes, maybe get into some Makaioshin stuff... they really could flesh this series out of they wanted to.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:11 am

So how do you guys think the pre-Universe 6 stuff will be divided up?
I'm thinking the first episode will lead into the BoG adaptation, then the next 2 to 3 episodes will be the Bog adaptation, then we'll get 1 or 2 episodes of Goku and Vegeta training with Whis, the other characters doing stuff on Earth and some set up for RF (maybe we'll even see a bit of Freeza training) followed by a 2 to 3 episode adaptation of RF.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:18 am

ArchedThunder wrote:So how do you guys think the pre-Universe 6 stuff will be divided up?
I'm thinking the first episode will lead into the BoG adaptation, then the next 2 to 3 episodes will be the Bog adaptation, then we'll get 1 or 2 episodes of Goku and Vegeta training with Whis, the other characters doing stuff on Earth and some set up for RF (maybe we'll even see a bit of Freeza training) followed by a 2 to 3 episode adaptation of RF.
We could end up with 10 episodes for each arc.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Avery
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Avery » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:22 am

Universe travel...sounds interesting. I guess they'll rely on Goku's or Whis' powers or use a spaceship if they want to make it a fun journey. Might explain this...
An angry Final Fantasy fan wrote: And after all the outrage, when I'm ready, I'll go out on to GameStop and buy a Persona 5 copy. And when my mother finds me investing my precious time trying to bond with this hot anime girl, I'll look straight into her eyes and say "but have you looked at the menu screen? have you actually seen the menu screen? In that very moment, she knows. She fucking knows. As she handles me the nugget pieces she previously cooked for me, she leaves my room with these words: "Persona 5 is the true savior of the JRPG".
VegettoEX wrote: In a blunt nutshell, no-one wants to read bullshit. Don't post bullshit. Be a cool person that posts cool things that other people would actually want to read. Don't be Zamasu from episode 63 talking to himself.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:23 am

sintzu wrote:
ArchedThunder wrote:So how do you guys think the pre-Universe 6 stuff will be divided up?
We could end up with 10 episodes for each arc.
I think that'd be too drawn out, and the fact that they are already telling us what comes after Freeza and the fact that we already see Champa makes me think that they'll be getting to the Universe 6 stuff pretty quickly. Also the fact that the show seems to get its name from the Super Dragon Balls makes it seem like that's something that they'll want to get front and center pretty quick as well. Imagine if Dragon Ball didn't introduce the actual Dragon Balls until 4 and a half months into its run, or if Naruto came into his own series 4 and a half months in, lol.
Avery wrote:Universe travel...sounds interesting. I guess they'll rely on Goku's or Whis' powers or use a spaceship if they want to make it a fun journey. Might explain this...
Alternatively it could be her piloting a ship to follow Goku and Beerus's fight like in BoG.
Last edited by ArchedThunder on Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:24 am

I think the post-Buu aftermath will be a couple of episodes instead of one, then 3-4 for BoG then maybe a few more post-BoG/pre-"F" as you said and then 3-4 for "F", hopefully everyone would have seen the movie version of "F" by then too.

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:25 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:That still doesn't explain anything, all that could mean is they'll splice BoG and "F" into episodes and add fluff to it. Furthermore no mention of Champa in the BoG arc so it seems I may have been right he'll appear before in the post-Battle Aftermath and then disappear and re appear again down the line.
I really doubt they're gonna simply "split the movies into episodes' like some people are expecting. Not only the V-Jump annoucement said Super would be done "entirely with new animation", RoF will be released in dvd/blu-ray in October, which could very well be around the time Super is adapting it as an arc, or after. It wouldn't make sense to air the movie on tv while it's being released.
Personally, i think they're gonna make the retellings as different from the movies as possible, using only the major plot points (Goku vs Beerus, God and SSGSS, Freeza's return while Goku and Vegeta are training for the next arc). Toriyama's words don't seem to indicate they'll be skipping the movie events either.

But yes, i think Champa will show up at the beginning only as a set up for the Universe 6 arc later.
Last edited by Araki on Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

NinjaGoku
Beyond Newbie

Post by NinjaGoku » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:26 am

I think for sure they will show it condensed, it won't have the same animation, but I think the main focus will be from other character's perspectives (most likely new characters) that we didn't see in the films. Although the plots of BOG and ROF do lend a lot to Super there is a lot of room to expand, etc.

macho_man
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by macho_man » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:27 am

NeoKING wrote:Okay, now that we know it's taking place in Universe 6, the 9-Star Ball, the remixed plot, and time placement makes sense. Eagerly waiting to see how Super Battle of Gods pans out.

Giant DBs though? Like, the Namekian set? Irony, in the original series Porunga is referred to as Super Shenlong at one point.

Weren't the Black Star DBs called the Super Dragon Balls?
They were the 'Ultimate Dragon Balls' in GT, and Ultimate Shenlong was the red one.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:28 am

Araki wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:That still doesn't explain anything, all that could mean is they'll splice BoG and "F" into episodes and add fluff to it. Furthermore no mention of Champa in the BoG arc so it seems I may have been right he'll appear before in the post-Battle Aftermath and then disappear and re appear again down the line.
I really doubt they're gonna simply "split the movies into episodes' like some people are expecting. Not only the V-Jump annoucement said Super would be done "entirely with new animation", RoF will be released in dvd/blu-ray in October, which could very well be around the time Super is adapting it as an arc, or after. It wouldn't make sense to air the movie on tv while it's being released.
Personally, i think they're gonna make the retellings as different from the movies as possible, using only the major plot points (Goku vs Beerus, God and SSGSS, Freeza's return while Goku and Vegeta are training for the next arc). Toriyama's words don't seem to indicate they'll be skipping the movie events either.

But yes, i think Champa will show up at the beginning only as a set up for the Universe 6 arc later.
When I say turn the movies into episodes and expand it, I mean take the script, add scenes to it, then animate it again as episodes.

kizuki
Beyond Newbie

Post by kizuki » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:31 am

This is pretty much every post I made in this thread, so I agree with you! Lol

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:31 am

Hopefully now that we actually have a real series description Funimation will announce a simulcast, they still have two more secret series to reveal for their summer simulcasts.

ThatGuyNamedChancey
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ThatGuyNamedChancey » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:34 am

UpFromTheSkies wrote:Again, turning the story into TV episodes and adding content =/= rewrite. BoG extended version wasn't a rewrite.
Luso Saiyan wrote:We're saying that because we've read the main site.
-snip-
I.E: Before, during, and after the events of the movies.

But feel free to point out the part where they're being rewritten.
Yeah, those are compelling enough arguments. I think I'll just try to make a better argument next time...
I tend not to post here anymore because what I say doesn't add to the conversation.

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:35 am

UpFromTheSkies wrote:When I say turn the movies into episodes and expand it, I mean take the script, add scenes to it, then animate it again as episodes.
Yeah, but i've seen people expecting them to actually use the footage from the movies, which would be bad for so many reasons.

Btw, i don't think they're gonna rush through the movies. If i had to bet, i'm expecting them to adapt BoG and RoF in about 12-15 episodes.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:37 am

Wow, a lot of news to wake up to this morning. Glad to finally have some concrete details on the events of Super!

I'm very happy to see we'll be exploring the different universes that were established in Battle of Gods! Many of us were greatly let down that Revival of 'F' opted not to touch on that plot point. Though the cynical side of me expects a large number of the same people to start complaining about this, too. Such is the Dragon Ball fan base... :wink:

I think expanding (and possibly retelling) the story arcs presented in the previous films is important, however. I've mentioned it before, but if you want a TV series to work as one long running entity, you can't force viewers to dip into multiple films, especially when the previous films had zero bearing on the continuity. That makes your series very inaccessible and confusing to newcomers, not to mention the TV-only audience. This move allows the much needed freedom to a tell a story fit for television, and one that can be easily expanded.

I have to say, I did chuckle at the "They’re chasing after giant Super Dragon Balls" bit. My mind jumped straight to GT's first arc. Of course, this is a very different situation, and I trust Toriyama to tell a far more charming story than GT ever did. You can tell that much from the "bright and simple" comment. For me, that description matches Dragon Ball at its best.

It seems a lot of people have fears that these early retellings are going to be dull, and I can sympathise with that, but I do believe this is going to be quite different from the films. More than enough to keep things fresh, anyway. I can't imagine Toei would risk turning off a huge chunk of viewers by simply rehashing exactly the same story of films from the past two years. I (perhaps naively) believe in Toriyama and Toei to expand on the elements of these films creatively, and with respect to what made them great in the first place.

As someone who's currently rewatching the original Dragon Ball anime, I entirely relate to Toriyama's comment about having "never dreamed [the series] would have a universe as a setting". To think that little Goku flying around on Kinto'un would eventually come to face off against enemies in an entirely different universe! It was mad enough to think about how readers must have felt seeing Namek for the first time, so it's going to be nice to (hopefully) experience a small part of that with Super.

I'm incredibly excited, I really am. I'm going to be on a plane to Tokyo when the episode debuts, so that flight is going to feel like hell as I anxiously await an opportunity to see it. On the plus side, I'll be able to experience the next episodes live in the country of origin. Having already done that with Revival of 'F', I can say it's definitely going to be a special experience.

Right now, I'm just praying that Super is one of FUNimation's last two simulcast announcements. That would just round off the build up to this first episode perfectly!
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

kizuki
Beyond Newbie

Post by kizuki » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:42 am

I kind of figured they'd do some universe hopping with this series (there's a fanfic manga of this out there somewhere). I'm interested to see if this will tie in GT somehow in another universe ... Or if these other universes have ENTIRELY different characters.

Gonna be definitely interesting to see.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:42 am

Araki wrote:
UpFromTheSkies wrote:When I say turn the movies into episodes and expand it, I mean take the script, add scenes to it, then animate it again as episodes.
Yeah, but i've seen people expecting them to actually use the footage from the movies, which would be bad for so many reasons.

Btw, i don't think they're gonna rush through the movies. If i had to bet, i'm expecting them to adapt BoG and RoF in about 12-15 episodes.
There is a possibility we could see some recycled animation from the movies, TOEI is rather frugal, but there's not enough for an entire arc, so it will be mostly new.