Anybody else feel the art quality is lower?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bacon Skittles
Beyond Newbie

Anybody else feel the art quality is lower?

Post by Bacon Skittles » Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:19 pm

<deleted>
Last edited by Bacon Skittles on Sun May 23, 2021 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ajay

Re: Anybody else feel the art quality is lower?

Post by Ajay » Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:22 pm

Pretty much everything you're looking for is in this thread: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... &start=440

Budget has nothing to do with it. Yamamuro's character designs just suck.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:26 pm

Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan Son Gokuu's hair looks better. The shapes of the curves are nice to look at, especially the bang in the middle of the three pointing to the viewer's left.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:40 pm

Can't really agree there. That may not be the best Super Saiyan Goku hair screenshot (shading is a little meh for my tastes), but SSGSS Goku's hair looks like a plastic wig. It might have "nice curves", but it doesn't have the same nice and more organic structure that the SS hair started to get midway through the Cell Arc. The bangs in particular are horrible, and ALWAYS look the exact same. They could use a little cleaning up, but I vastly prefer the ones on blondie here.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:44 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:Can't really agree there. That may not be the best Super Saiyan Goku hair screenshot (shading is a little meh for my tastes), but SSGSS Goku's hair looks like a plastic wig. It might have "nice curves", but it doesn't have the same nice and more organic structure that the SS hair started to get midway through the Cell Arc. The bangs in particular are horrible, and ALWAYS look the exact same. They could use a little cleaning up, but I vastly prefer the ones on blondie here.
His entire body is covered in an aura, it makes sense for the color to be different. A flatter color for when he isn't using an aura would make sense, but here it isn't bad.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:51 pm

The plastic part is relative to the screenshot, but the rest of my post isn't just about when he's flaring his aura. I'm talking about the way Yamamuro's designs have been leading to (most) animators drawing Super Saiyan hair since Plan to Eradicate the Super Saiyans in 2010. Goku, Bardock and Goten always have the same hair, usually with the same spikes in the exact same placement. That exact bang shape extends beyond those three and their entire shared hairstyle though, as even characters like Cell Games SS Gohan end up with that exact placement. Their hair just doesn't feel organic in his style, it feels like they switch lego hair pieces...
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

VintageSaiyan
Temporarily Banned

Post by VintageSaiyan » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:36 pm

Lazy and uninspired.

InfernalVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by InfernalVegito » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:46 pm

I agree. Old one looks way fiercer. The hair on the right looks too round, as if someone dismantled a balloon poodle and stapled the remains onto his head.
BT3 off meds | The final fight

Ah, the Alpha and the Omega. As all life was created from Chaos...so shall it be DESTROYED!!!

The wails of machines | Singing cold harmony | Shifting air upward | Entranced by the breeze | Light pours like blood | Into a cosmic sea | Of stars crystallized | In a frozen symphony

Vegetto kicking you into orbit theme

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:12 pm

I think you're right. The old shot really looks more detailed.
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)