"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:04 pm

Noah wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:Well, Episode #11 should be the one good episode to look forward to. It looks like Yamamuro will storyboard the first episode of the Golden Freeza arc, too. That'll probably look painful.
Er... Pardon? Yamamuro is a great animation director, so I don't know what you're talking about.

Yamamuro's not a great animation director, at least not anymore. His drawings don't move in interesting ways and they look hideous during dramatic scenes. Yamamuro is somehow an even worse storyboard artist, too, which is what my post was actually referring to. The only chance Episode #13 has of looking interesting is if Episode Director Satou Masanori implements an interesting manner of directing through his instructions to Yamamuro as he draws his storyboard.
Araki wrote:The title from episode 13 (Goku aiming to go beyond SSG) implies they're indeed covering the ground between the movies, instead of bringing in Freeza right off the bat.
I wonder if that means he's going after Whis right away (after a timeskip?), trying something by himself, or if just part of the episode would be about him establishing a goal.
Yeah, that came to mind when I read it. If anything it'll be the episode to help set up what we see in the movie and then follow from there.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:47 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:Hmm. I wonder if Battle of Gods really is ending on episode #12 as we once thought? #13's titles seems like it could work for SSGSS, but also something like the absorption of the SSG power too.
The title indicates surpassing SSG is not something that is happening on episode #13, but actually a new goal for Goku.

The next few episodes will probably go like this:

10 - Goku warming up and taking control of SSG
11 - All fight
12 - Fight ends, post-battle conversation about the other universes, Beerus leaves. maybe Champa makes an appearance, if we're lucky

13 is almost definitely starting a new arc, not only going by the title, but also the box set hint and the fact a new ending debuts that day.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:37 am

Interesting; ANN's got a survey going on about Super and its lack of an official stream. http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/survey/
Anyone glean any theories about why we haven't had an official stream based on any accidental hints that may or may not be present in the questions the survey asks?

This one caught my eye:
If Dragonball Super is released on TV that you can watch, but not streaming, would you watch it on TV?
What would that mean? Does Toei want to make other countries wait until they fix the animation for the home releases and have it so international audiences get the home release versions as the ones that air on international TV? Is this just a case of Toei wants local first? Are the streaming rights pricing Toei's holding too high for Funi?

Also a few "semi-sneak-questions-to-see-how-many-people-are-watching-fansubs/raws-of-Super" questions in there. That's sort of like asking people if they've ever run a red light. ^^;
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:26 am

^That's quite something. Maybe the survey is more Funimation/CR than Toei, the streaming rights could be too costly compared to others and they could be considering whether to invest. Or Toei warned them about the fixes, they backed down at first but decided to check up on the reactions now...could it be that they're just estimating how much potential money they're losing with fansub watching? Too many possibilities.
The fact there are options regarding tv broadcasts for the near future is interesting, though. It gives me the feeling many choices are on their table but no one knows exactly how to deal with the show outside Japan yet.

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:34 am

Hopefully that survey is a sign of things happening behind the scenes, and the companies involved are trying to gauge how they should proceed with releasing it.

I love that they have all sorts of super enthusiastic answers on the list...pretty much every answer I picked is punctuated with an exclamation mark :D I was honest about how I'm viewing it...though I'm sure they'll get plenty of suspiciously dishonest answers that follow up a "HELLS YEAH!" (would watch if streaming) with a "nope" (not currently watching it...suuuure you're not).
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:56 am

So episode 13 is the start of the new arc, and from the looks of it it's something actually new! Color me excited for that, so far they really haven't done anything to make the BoG arc stand out from the movie, but I've got confidence with this RoF stuff.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:10 am

Post BoG Goku has absorbed the realm of SSG, do you guys think that this might change the ritual? And only Goku is needed now?

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:10 am

So I guess we will see Goku achieving Bluper, hopefully that means we will see Vegeta become a God as well. I wonder if that episode title means Goku will achieve Bluper in episode 13, or if it's the just signifying the start of his attempt to surpass God.
Chuquita wrote:Interesting; ANN's got a survey going on about Super and its lack of an official stream. http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/survey/
Anyone glean any theories about why we haven't had an official stream based on any accidental hints that may or may not be present in the questions the survey asks?

This one caught my eye:
If Dragonball Super is released on TV that you can watch, but not streaming, would you watch it on TV?
What would that mean? Does Toei want to make other countries wait until they fix the animation for the home releases and have it so international audiences get the home release versions as the ones that air on international TV? Is this just a case of Toei wants local first? Are the streaming rights pricing Toei's holding too high for Funi?

Also a few "semi-sneak-questions-to-see-how-many-people-are-watching-fansubs/raws-of-Super" questions in there. That's sort of like asking people if they've ever run a red light. ^^;
I legitimately think Toei only wants the west to get the polished up DVD/Bluray versions of the show and the only way we get a simulcast is if they can find a way to manage the show in such a way that the animation quality is more consistent for the Japanese broadcast version, which probably won't even be possible until they can see how well the show does in other countries.
Noah wrote:
Four episodes focused on pure fighting? I can't believe, maybe two of those will have some traditional "DBZ moments" ya know lol
Nah, Episode 13 sounds like Goku trying to surpass God after the fight with Beerus.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:33 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Post BoG Goku has absorbed the realm of SSG, do you guys think that this might change the ritual? And only Goku is needed now?
Nah. You still need five righteous SSJ's for the ritual to be completed. It was stressed so much the first time that I doubt they're gonna just ignore that condition for when Vegeta becomes a SSJG. Besides, Goku can still become a SSJ as far as I know.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:37 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Post BoG Goku has absorbed the realm of SSG, do you guys think that this might change the ritual? And only Goku is needed now?
I think anything's possible. Toei's kept hard and fast to some parts of BOG, but wildly changed others. It'll be whatever's more conducive to the plot.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:50 am

Chuquita wrote:
I think anything's possible. Toei's kept hard and fast to some parts of BOG, but wildly changed others. It'll be whatever's more conducive to the plot.
Yeah, it's entirely possible that now that Goku has absorbed the God power that maybe he can pass it on to others as well, which could also mean we might never see Vegeta go regular God if Goku can "bestow" the power to people skipping the actual God form entirely.

Captain Space

Post by Captain Space » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:55 am

ArchedThunder wrote:
Yeah, it's entirely possible that now that Goku has absorbed the God power that maybe he can pass it on to others as well, which could also mean we might never see Vegeta go regular God if Goku can "bestow" the power to people skipping the actual God form entirely.
While that could potentially happen, I'd just find it hilarious. Quite possibly already the most spammable power-up in DB history, and if they were to make it even easier, to where Goku could just hold hands with any saiyan and zap them into god-tier in five seconds... XD
"Actually I didn’t know what Bulma’s real hair color was" --Toriyama

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:52 am

It sounded like they were just going to use the same people for Vegeta's turn. But hey, maybe Bra was around to help for Vegeta.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:53 pm

LuckyCat wrote:It sounded like they were just going to use the same people for Vegeta's turn. But hey, maybe Bra was around to help for Vegeta.
Can't wait to see Blonde Bulma lol
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:07 pm

Oh cool King Ryū is doing the story for episodes 11,12 and 13, the previous episodes he did (2 and 6) are amongst my favourite episodes so far so him writing 3 eps in a row is :thumbup: for me. But on a negative Bun-sun Lee is back on art duties again for episode 13 so hopefully fingers crossed there is little to no action in that episode and all the BoG stuff in wrapped up in episode 12.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:08 pm

About this survey, I'm pretty sure Funimation has the dubbing, licensing and home video rights for Super at this point. They opened their mouth a bit too wide when talking about NYCC happening this October and let out that they would be talking about Super at a DBZ panel there. They didn't necessarily say that they were announcing it but considering that they're even talking about it along with Manga UK tweeting about it, I'm pretty sure that's where Super's dub will be announced. Simulcast wise, it may never happen. The results for the survey say that people would prefer to watch it Dubbed rather than subbed and a lot of people are just like "Yeah it sucks but whatever" with no simulcast so Funi nor Crunchyroll will probably be buying the rights to simulcast it as well as because Toei seems to want other territories to have the supposed cleaned up versions that'll be on the Japanese DVDs and Blu Rays starting later this year instead of the sloppy looking broadcast ones especially in the US. As for a TV broadcast, as it stands now, it doesn't look like we'll be seeing Kai The Final Chapters on Toonami after vanilla Kai has finished so it's obvious that Funimation will strike up a deal with Toonami to air Super in Kai's place. It's obvious that Funi have the dubbing, licensing and home video rights but a simulcast from them doesn't seem very likely at the moment.
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:55 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Oh cool King Ryū is doing the story for episodes 11,12 and 13, the previous episodes he did (2 and 6) are amongst my favourite episodes so far so him writing 3 eps in a row is :thumbup: for me. But on a negative Bun-sun Lee is back on art duties again for episode 13 so hopefully fingers crossed there is little to no action in that episode and all the BoG stuff in wrapped up in episode 12.
The 'Art' credit refers to static background images, not moving objects, which fall under the animation team.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:07 pm

Captain Space wrote:
ArchedThunder wrote:
While that could potentially happen, I'd just find it hilarious. Quite possibly already the most spammable power-up in DB history, and if they were to make it even easier, to where Goku could just hold hands with any saiyan and zap them into god-tier in five seconds... XD
If they want to keep God to Vegeta and Goku for right now they can simply have Gohan say that he doesn't want it because he'd rather just be a scholar and then have Goku and Vegeta decide that the power is too great for Goten and Trunks and they need to get older and/or mature first.

Captain Space

Post by Captain Space » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:20 pm

ArchedThunder wrote: If they want to keep God to Vegeta and Goku for right now they can simply have Gohan say that he doesn't want it because he'd rather just be a scholar and then have Goku and Vegeta decide that the power is too great for Goten and Trunks and they need to get older and/or mature first.
The latter thing works, for sure, but...eh...that excuse for Gohan doesn't make too much sense to me. It doesn't cost him any studying or require any time-consuming training to spend five minutes getting god-powered (and maybe have a few tries until he can get the hand of absorbing it and retaining most of it), the benefits if something happens in the future (and it will) are immense, and he's already immensely powerful compared to normal human beings so in terms of distance from being 'normal' or whatever this is basically the same situation.
"Actually I didn’t know what Bulma’s real hair color was" --Toriyama

Pannaliciour
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pannaliciour » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:36 pm

I think that episode 13 isn't the end of BOG arc because the end of BOG arc should be more like this: "ssj god goku defeated!".