What do you think are some of the worst retcons in the series?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: What do you think are some of the worst retcons in the series?

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:56 pm

The original Bardock was supposed to be a tragic figure - this bastard who thought his son was worthless realizes that his whole race is gonna be killed by his master and that the very kid he couldn't even be bothered to witness the birth of is gonna grow up removed from the Saiyan culture that he sees as a way of life. So he makes one last stand that's ultimately fruitless and dies as a nobody in the grand scheme of things, but sees a light at the end of the tunnel that proves he was wrong about his son.

Bardock's dynamic with Goku is an absentee father who is now cursed by his knowledge of the future - one where he and the entire Saiyan race is dead and that son gets domesticated by some weak frontier world.

All the attempts to lionize him starting from Episode of Bardock have been a complete misreading of Koyamas intentions with Bardock. Back then, the series was trying to make the Saiyans as antithetical to Goku as possible - history father being another example but at least has ample bravery and valor.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:46 am

The cool thing about Super's Bardock is that he's a tired, jaded soldier now making decisions based on knowledge that he IS disposable and he's done a lot of melancholic reflecting on his life. I totally get what it's like to reach a point in your life where you're looking back and reflecting and then trying to look forward and figure out just what in the hell comes next. It's scary and you start to try and fill the void you're filling with just about anything. It's honestly a neat idea to try and exercise with Bardock and something quite human to experience.

Also, it just makes him hotter.
Last edited by JulieYBM on Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

nhienphan2808
Beyond Newbie

Post by nhienphan2808 » Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:10 am

Every retcon, tweak and addition Toyotaro adds on to the Super manga compared to movies and the anime series.
I wanted to say the Bardock TV special - yes, Minus is a good retcon of it - but since it's not retcon, Episode of Bardock.
ShadowWolf87 wrote:Freeza beat Goku, beat Vegeta, and destroyed the Earth. Even if no one else knows it, who does? Goku.
Who gets told it's his fault for being so careless? Goku.
Who has to live with that similar to how he wanted to make Freeza live with the fact he'd been beaten by what he considered trash, and have to live with that shame? Goku.
Freeza got the perfect revenge.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:40 pm

Goku remembered meeting Dr. Gero and #17 & #18 being the real threat from the future and not Gero & #19 are retcons that people seem to forget about.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:45 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:40 pm Goku remembered meeting Dr. Gero
Pretty sure that was dub only though.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:28 am

I could have swear that it was in the original Japanese version too, but it looks I was wrong.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/