DragonBall Z Abridged

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:12 pm

SSJ2bardock wrote:You may already be aware if this but I'm putting it out there anyway, they made an abridged of the first 2 movies as well.
Ya, there is a couple of old abridged DBZ series out there. The DBZ Movies Abridged was made by what is mostly TeamFourStar before the became TeamFourStar (minus KaiserNeko), back when they were called Neighborhood Cluck Productions and had a slightly different cast.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:32 pm

I just watched the second episode, it was pretty hilarious, I'm loving a lot of the Piccolo centric humor.

I also took my time to check out the work by SSJ Gozar, I couldn't stand it, but my sense of humor doesn't cover the "Funny because it's so random" stuff.

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:37 pm

While it had its funny parts, I still like the first episode better, since it was just so ripe with throwbacks to stuff like the weird dub edits.

Sure, they kept in Raditz's green arm line, but they didn't really make anything else of it. They could've at least had Piccolo comment on how lame the line was or something. I also thought that the joke with Gohan being hit could have been better if they played through the hit right after the top headline about child violence, then pause at Gohan with his swirly eyes and then continue with the subline ("We do, however, find it hilarious"). The swirly eyes thing was just something that stood out so much to me (I remember being pretty surprised, since the swirly eyes seemed to play down that he just got smacked across the battlefield).

The random humor loosely relating with the series would have just been alright if played out by anyone else. What I really liked about the Yoshi and Ricola jokes were how they really relied on their delivery of the lines. Goku's childlike hesitation at the beginning of the episode was just priceless and gives dubbies a hint at what they're missing. While I don't absolutely hate the dub, I do think they played up him as a hero way too much and didn't really delve into his happy-go-lucky-ness all that much, if at all. Also, I dunno why, but the scream of the Ricola man was just hilarious. It wasn't just any ordinary scream, but something um... more. Don't really know how to explain it, but I found it funny.

Goku's line about Chi-chi as Raditz is about to finish off Gohan was kinda weak. I think it would have worked better if they actually cut to a scene of Chi-chi just going all-out crazy. I know the clip isn't until a later episode, but the one with Chi-chi decked out in Lunch's guns and shooting Baba comes to mind :P.

Everything with Piccolo and his attack (I won't even try to spell it) was hilarious, from him charging it up to finally blasting it off. I remember back when I only saw the attack name in the manga, I had no idea how to pronounce it. I'm pretty sure it wasn't until it was said in the podcast that I finally knew how to pronounce it (I'm pretty sure I didn't have any episodes where Piccolo actually says the attack name in the anime until I picked up Season 1).

I'm pretty sure the idea of Raditz flying off never crossed my mind. Him going out with a brief "blah" may have been done before, but it never gets old.
kasukan004 wrote:I wonder what will happen with the "five-minute" Freeza fight in the abridged series.
Might I suggest the possibility of a little five minute countdown in the corner of the screen when you guys get to that? If need be, you can also change the point in the countdown when switching to things outside of the fight, like when everyone gets sent to Earth. You can even have something like the timer beeping and red when it reaches zero, only to have Freeza mention how he must have held back on that blast. Just um... play it off funnier than how I described.

These're just my suggestions, though. Team FourStar's the master behind this project. Hope they keep cranking out the funny :D.

EDIT: Loved the little pokemon bit at the end. Gohan as a baby actually works pretty well as a pokemon. His whole "gooo-HAN!" scream as he hit Raditz was funny in a cute and weird sort of way.
Last edited by DaemonCorps on Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:44 pm

DaemonCorps wrote:Goku's line about Chi-chi as Raditz is about to finish off Gohan was kinda weak. I think it would have worked better if they actually cut to a scene of Chi-chi just going all-out crazy. I know the clip isn't until a later episode, but the one with Chi-chi decked out in Lunch's guns and shooting Baba comes to mind :P.
I totally agree with you, though that is the only thing I would have changed out of the entire series so far.

The good thing is that there is still hope for them to use that scene later in the series and I'm sure that they will. :)

Bardock the Mexican
Regular

Post by Bardock the Mexican » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:08 am

Oh God, I am crying like a baby from laughter! This is the best thing I have seen on Dragonball in a long time. Read: A LOOONNGG ASSS TIMMEEE! Seriously, this is some very funny shit and I think the people who made it did an excelent job. Great work guys!
AWESOME EDIT: Here is somthing I found.When you see it, you will shit a yellow brick road.
Ejercito Zapatista de Liberacion Nacional: Es nuestra palabra sencilla...

worldmonsters
Patreon Supporter

Post by worldmonsters » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:54 am

AWESOME EDIT: Here is somthing I found.When you see it, you will shit a yellow brick road.[/quote]

Yes... yes we've seen that already some time ago... I'm sorry, but it's a bit dated now :p Tho it IS freaking funny XD I'll give you that :D

In any case, I didn't think the Chi-Chi stuff was that bad, there are some lines though that I thought were meh. The stuff about "The Namekian" was... I don't know, stuff you find in not so well done Abridged series, even though it sequed into the Yoshi and sarcasm stuff again, that was good, but it still kind of bugged me.

There was another part in Episode 1 but I can't remember or find it right now... maybe later :D

Both episodes ARE reaaaallly good and funny, but some minor details that could maybe be improved, however... the rest is so awesome that I don't really care about those small details :p but for conversation's sake :p

Onikage725

Post by Onikage725 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:37 am

SSJ2bardock wrote:I wonder if people who aren't familiar with dragonball think this is funny.
Hm, well my girlfriend is in love with it. She's a casual anime fan at best, and mainly watches what I show her. So, I think, some of the humor is universal.
I think it's kinda like how I saw Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back as my first View Askew film, but I loved it. After watching the other films, it made the last one funnier, but it was far from uninteresting that first time out.
To show my appreciation, I'll only beat them half to death.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:53 am

b
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Mon May 02, 2011 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

djkalteraphine
Regular

Post by djkalteraphine » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:58 am

Kunzait_83 wrote:
Onikage725 wrote:I think it's kinda like how I saw Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back as my first View Askew film, but I loved it. After watching the other films, it made the last one funnier, but it was far from uninteresting that first time out.
I still don't get how that worked out with you, considering that literally 90% of Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back consists of inside jokes and references to the previous films in the series. :?

Don't get me wrong, it's a funny movie any way you come at it, but the backbone of it's humor is totally lost on anyone who hasn't seen the prior Askew films in advance.

Onikage's a strange one indeed. :wink:
I saw Jay and Silent Bob first, too, and it landed me into the downword spiral to listening to SModcast every week, and watching Smith's four hundred blogs for so much as a snippit of a new movie.

But hey, this isn't View Askew EX.

Onikage725

Post by Onikage725 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:59 am

Welllll you've never seen the film without prior knowledge of the others. So you wouldn't know :p
To show my appreciation, I'll only beat them half to death.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:48 pm

Just wanted to congratulate you guys on 9010 subscribers!(Now 9011, thanks to me! :wink: )

But I see you already knew: http://youtube.com/watch?v=gxwLMfypEOk
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:26 pm

Not to sound like an jerk, but may I ask if Kaiô-Ken's correct pronunciation shall be used and not the 'dub' pronunciation?
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

KaiserNeko

Post by KaiserNeko » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:32 pm

JulieYBM wrote:Not to sound like an jerk, but may I ask if Kaiô-Ken's correct pronunciation shall be used and not the 'dub' pronunciation?
EVERYTHING will be pronounced correctly, within reason. Tenshinhan will be Tenshinhan, though sometimes it'll be Tien. It'll ALWAYS be Kaio-Ken, not Kay-oh-Ken. No Kameyameyas, but we will be calling the Kienzan 'Destructo Disc'. Mostly just because the attack names like Kienzan, Taiyoken, Makankosappo, and whatnot aren't as well known as their dub names. But the names of attacks like Kaio-Ken, Kamehameha, and whatnot will all be pronounced correctly.

I hope it makes sense and, trust me, I'd like to keep all the original names and whatnot... but it's really a matter of reaching many facets and not wanting to alienate the more softcore fans.

BTW, you WILL hear Son Goku. :3
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:33 pm

KaiserNeko wrote: EVERYTHING will be pronounced correctly, within reason. Tenshinhan will be Tenshinhan, though sometimes it'll be Tenshinhan.
God I love the word filters! :lol:
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

djkalteraphine
Regular

Post by djkalteraphine » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:37 pm

NeptuneKai wrote:
KaiserNeko wrote: EVERYTHING will be pronounced correctly, within reason. Tenshinhan will be Tenshinhan, though sometimes it'll be Tenshinhan.
God I love the word filters! :lol:
Will Chaotzu call him Mr.Ti-en or Ten-san or Mr.Ten?

Mr.Ten sounds like an assassin.

"They call me Mr.Ten because I only need ten bullets!"
"That's. . not very good. For an assassin."

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:42 pm

Guys, you do know it's easy to get around those right?
Just put unused italics / bold marks [ b] [/ b]

ex: Ti[ i][/ i]en w/out space marks. Tien. I am so smart.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

djkalteraphine
Regular

Post by djkalteraphine » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:46 pm

bkev wrote:Guys, you do know it's easy to get around those right?
Just put unused italics / bold marks [ b] [/ b]

ex: Ti[ i][/ i]en w/out space marks. Tien. I am so smart.
Obviously not, or we would've done that.

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:22 pm

This is the only DBZ abridged series I've seen that has good humor, sound effects, music, voice-acting, and all that good stuff!
If challenge had a taste, you'd be quite delicious.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:51 pm

KaiserNeko wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:Not to sound like an jerk, but may I ask if Kaiô-Ken's correct pronunciation shall be used and not the 'dub' pronunciation?
EVERYTHING will be pronounced correctly, within reason. Tenshinhan will be Tenshinhan, though sometimes it'll be Tenshinhan. It'll ALWAYS be Kaio-Ken, not Kay-oh-Ken. No Kameyameyas, but we will be calling the Kienzan 'Destructo Disc'. Mostly just because the attack names like Kienzan, Taiyoken, Makankosappo, and whatnot aren't as well known as their dub names. But the names of attacks like Kaio-Ken, Kamehameha, and whatnot will all be pronounced correctly.

I hope it makes sense and, trust me, I'd like to keep all the original names and whatnot... but it's really a matter of reaching many facets and not wanting to alienate the more softcore fans.

BTW, you WILL hear Son Goku. :3
Yay! I'm also glad I didn't come off as a jerk (despite a disclaimer). I was a little worried after I saw your guys' movie two dub for the Kaiô-Ken but I'll assume it was so the less glamous side of FUNimation fans would not spew their usual dialogue.

But very happy Kaiser! See you on Toon Zone!!
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:01 pm

Big Momma wrote:Just wanted to congratulate you guys on 9010 subscribers!(Now 9011, thanks to me! :wink: )

But I see you already knew: http://youtube.com/watch?v=gxwLMfypEOk
Hahaha, I love it! That is hilarious, I love how TeamFourStar keeps putting out little videos to keep us occupied between episodes. I almost say the little videos are as good as the episodes...almost.

I say that Lanipator sounds a lot more like Brian Drummond than Chris Sabat in this clip for this scene, but you can decide for yourself with this comparison: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3YyL660Eu8