Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 86

Post by Black_Liger » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:39 pm

HybridSaiyan wrote:Having no blood just ruins everything. The fights are just not the same without the battle damage. They can't even add on blood scratches anymore? Does the blu rays provide any blood?

deal with it, Trunks chopped up Freeza in DBZ and there was no blood or guts in there, just pieces of Freeza Sushie everywhere :P
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:58 pm

Gashif Aldi wrote:
DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:The script writers have nothing to do with the production of Dragon Ball Super; that's for pre-production. It's the key animators that are vital for the improvement of the production process. Without any extra times key animators need to complete cuts ahead of schedule, we are still pretty much stuck in the hellish schedule.
The script is also important, because it executed how the story goes, then adapted into Storyboard, finally it became an animation. So more time on script, better story.

Like, the manga have less plotholes than the anime.
Examples: No Asspulls, Rosè explanation, Goku actually doing Mafuba, better executed overall.
So the fact that the script writing in the production is rushed, makes thing worse.

If the schedule was good at the start, then we would still had Chioka directing the series. If Chioka is still here with good schedule, the story would have changed a lot.
The way it executed, the way how the plot points connect together, good filler, and the comedy of course.

So both are important, the script is essentially the story itself, and the animation just executed that script. I mean SSB Kaioken itself is from Chioka's direction.
You can get the scripts done ahead of time all you want, but unless there's enough key animators to draw the cuts ahead of time before episodes air, the production is still in the hole.

Toei Animation produces hundreds of TV series, movies, TV specials, and video games per year. The TV series' production is bound to suffer due to the limited talent pool of key animators, unless the series is planned ahead of time, like 6 months to 10 months before the broadcast.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

Son Vegito
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Son Vegito » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:13 pm

Am I the only one who thinks that this female Saiyan is someone else than the fem Broly in the opening?

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:45 pm

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:
You can get the scripts done ahead of time all you want, but unless there's enough key animators to draw the cuts ahead of time before episodes air, the production is still in the hole.

Toei Animation produces hundreds of TV series, movies, TV specials, and video games per year. The TV series' production is bound to suffer due to the limited talent pool of key animators, unless the series is planned ahead of time, like 6 months to 10 months before the broadcast.
Key animators can't get work done ahead of time unless the scripts and storyboards are done ahead of time. Super's problem is not just one of animators, the whole production is rushed and improvements have to come all the way at the beginning to actually help things. Having scripts and storyboards done ahead of time makes it easier to actually get animators. Super has a hard time getting animators because of the tight schedule, that tight schedule can't improve unless scripts and storyboards are being turned in earlier.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:29 pm

Dragon Ball Super has Tomioka Atsuhiro involved. They're not behind on scripts, not by a long shot. The problem is the lack of animators and potentially the lack of storyboard artists. The only reason the scripts would be behind is due to production committee interference.
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:37 pm

JulieYBM wrote:Dragon Ball Super has Tomioka Atsuhiro involved. They're not behind on scripts, not by a long shot. The problem is the lack of animators and potentially the lack of storyboard artists. The only reason the scripts would be behind is due to production committee interference.
You have no idea what kind of lead time he had coming onto the show. Also him coming onto the show was probably to get the schedule for the scripts ahead of where it was. Again, the lack of talented animators is due to the tight schedule. Super has been putting lots of animators on episodes and that is almost definitely due to a lack of time. So I'll say it again, having an idea of how far out the scripts are being worked on could give us some insight into how things are going right now.

Ajay

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 87

Post by Ajay » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:42 pm

Episode 87

[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

Okay, normally when I'm late with these, it's because I'm being lazy, but this time I legitimately forgot. It was such a nothing episode. Woops.

Anyway! How is everyone, and how is everyone enjoying Super's animation so far in this arc? I feel like I haven't heard any general thoughts for a while.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:46 pm

Ajay wrote:Episode 87

[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

Okay, normally when I'm late with these, it's because I'm being lazy, but this time I legitimately forgot. It was such a nothing episode. Woops.

Anyway! How is everyone, and how is everyone enjoying Super's animation so far in this arc? I feel like I haven't heard any general thoughts for a while.
My thoughts;
It's incredible how things have been keeping together for so long, from just watching it the show almost feels like a totally normal anime, almost. It's pretty much met my expectations of what we'd see happen with the show after the 10 weeks between arcs and it gets me excited to see the visual showcase episodes with animators like Shida in the future. It also gets me excited for future improvements to the show, so far this arc has felt like the most tangible improvement over a previous arc. I'm 110% down with them having a long period between arcs again.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:27 pm

Decent looking episode. The brief skirmish and fights we got were very much serviceable, the art remained very consistent and on model for the most part and Gohan's transformation into his Ultimate form looked kinda nice.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:28 pm

The episode was a bit rough around the edges, but I enjoyed that there was a lot of hair and clothing movement, even when Marron was just chopping carrots. Overall it was solid, but I honestly expected more, the action in particular wasn't too great for the most part. Itai was barely even in this episode, I'm guessing this episode was mostly Wanpack. Itai barely doing anything makes me think we'll see him again soon.
NEP looks okay, there was some nice art there. Spotted Yashima in the Goku fight scene.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:29 pm

The NEP looked really good. It had a really old-school Dragon Ball artist direction.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:30 pm

Episode 88

Animation Supervisors
Tomoko Kusunoki
Yui Kinoshita
Hiroyuki Itai

Assistant Animation Supervisor
Chihiro Tanaka

Key Animation - Wanpack
TBA

Key Animation - Toei
Futoshi Higashide
Hiroyuki Itai
Shuntaro Mura
Yoshitaka Kato
Tomita Erisa
TAP

2nd Key Animators
Yong-ce Tu
Miyako Tsuji

Just gonna get my complaints out of the way first: the storyboarding felt very 'small' this week - at least in the first half. If you've ever seen those tilt shift photos, you'll know what I mean. The wasteland Gohan and Piccolo fought in just felt miniature compared to the similar type of areas found in the Saiyan arc, for example.

No way am I translating all the staff for a Wanpack episode, but I'm going to guess this had a pretty minimal touch by Toei. Seemed like Wanpack (or perhaps another studio alongside them) were involved for most of the episode. I'm guessing Higashide did that okay cut in the second half, and Miyuki Yokoyama drew most of the on-model stuff. Itai only seemed to creep in for a tiny portion at the end there.

Those are my predictions. Now to wait until someone bothers to do that staff list!

So it was Yong-ce Tu, not Yokoyama who was responsible for some of those on-model moments. That's cool! Not going to be fun trying to distinguish between him and Higashide.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:37 pm

If Higashide was on this episode I wonder why there was a big gap between episodes for him, none of the action here stood out. I guess it could be that his work here was done quick while his focus is elsewhere.
Itai is the big question mark for me, after 6 weeks he was here for all of 2 minutes.

Gashif Aldi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gashif Aldi » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:42 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:If Higashide was on this episode I wonder why there was a big gap between episodes for him, none of the action here stood out. I guess it could be that his work here was done quick while his focus is elsewhere.
Itai is the big question mark for me, after 6 weeks he was here for all of 2 minutes.
Maybe that's an indication that the schedule is better.
Higashide is always showing up one episode after another. It looks like he finished it way ahead before the bad schedule can catchup to him.
I'm bad at English and still learning. If there's anything wrong, please correct me. :D

Profile Picture is from:

nite_jay
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by nite_jay » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:44 pm

This episode was kinda ugly, but there were a couple of cool Tsuji Piccolo corrections and an ok (Higashide?) fight.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:52 pm

nite_jay wrote:This episode was kinda ugly, but there were a couple of cool Tsuji Piccolo corrections and an ok (Higashide?) fight.
To be fair, this was pretty much a Wanpack episode with some touches from the Toei Animation in-house staff here and there.

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:53 pm

Imo, storyboarding let this episode down. Don't get me wrong, It was not a bad one, but I think a good storyboard could have made it even better. Art style was like #80 were it kept changing, especially during the first half.

Psykomatik
Regular

Post by Psykomatik » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:03 pm

Animation Supervisors
Tomoko Kusunoki
Yui Kinoshita
Hiroyuki Itai

Assistant Animation Supervisor
Chihiro Tanaka

Key Animators
Hiroaki Ikeda
Aki Yamauchi
Yoshimi Iwata
Mayumi Funakoshi
Yasunori Matsuki
Makiko Hayase
Yūri Kajiwara
Nanami Kaneta
Sakuya Abe
Ken’ichi Kangawa
Tomoko Kitagawa
Mirai Kuma
Yūha Komura
-
-
-

Futoshi Higashide
Hiroyuki Itai
Shuntarō Mura
Yoshitaka Katō
-
Toei Animation Phils

2nd Key Animators
-
Miyako Tsuji

I'm sorry, there's some name I didn't catch. Hopefully it will help some people here.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:09 pm

So it was an almost entirely outsourced episode, good to know.
With the time since Higashide and Itai's last episodes I would have expected more from them, both in amount and polish, hopefully they're just busy with more important stuff.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:13 pm

Where do you guys get the staff list now that animators corner is not getting updated anymore?
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.