Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by sunsetshimmer » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:59 am

DestructoDisc wrote:I don't find the Yamcha memes funny.
Yeah and i absolutely hated EVERY moment in Super with Yamcha. Because fans making fun of him is one thing, but when TOEI themselves does it's awful.
That scene with baseball episode where Yamcha took that famous pose was one of the worst episodes in Super and one of the worst "funny" scenes in franchise.
Games start to follow the same thing.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PsionicWarrior » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:24 pm

GT_Goten10 wrote:Kid Goku is the best Thing that GT could do (don’t hate me)
A pretty safe one I'd say, kid GT Goku is not that bad as I reckon at least not as bad as the show itself lol

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PsionicWarrior » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:24 pm

ricky84 wrote:
PsionicWarrior wrote:wow, everytime I read here I'm relieved this is the unpopular opinions thread lol :mrgreen:
Explain?
Because there's a lot of opinions that I disagree with strongly lol

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:18 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote:
Yeah and i absolutely hated EVERY moment in Super with Yamcha. Because fans making fun of him is one thing, but when TOEI themselves does it's awful.
That scene with baseball episode where Yamcha took that famous pose was one of the worst episodes in Super and one of the worst "funny" scenes in franchise.
Third, the jokes at Yamcha's expense ruined the whole episode for me.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

GT_Goten10
Beyond Newbie

Post by GT_Goten10 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:42 pm

PsionicWarrior wrote:
GT_Goten10 wrote:Kid Goku is the best Thing that GT could do (don’t hate me)
A pretty safe one I'd say, kid GT Goku is not that bad as I reckon at least not as bad as the show itself lol
DragonBall GT is bae
GT Fighter

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:15 pm

Don't know how much unpopular this is, but I was satisfied with Trunks portrayal in GT.

I'm like a lot of fans the first time we knew the warrior who killed Freeza as the future child of Vegeta and Bulma, were interested to see how this baby would grow to be the same character.

EoZ showed very little, it was on GT that we had more of adult Trunks. I can say as a kid I didn't like much, but now I realize that his present self wasn't supposed to be the same as his future self: Present Trunks didn't born without knowing his dad, he wasn't forced to train in order to survive and protect his world from the apocalyptic scenary caused by the androids. So it would be unreal to expect GT Trunks to go on slicing villains on a half like the badass he was never portrayed to be like his future self. That would be just a fanservice rehash.

Also enjoyed in GT that Trunks like Goten were never the type of fighters like their dads, so I don't have problem with them not being a lot stronger nor taking more part of the action (though I would still like to see them fuse).

ricky84 wrote:How the hell is Vegeta regressed? That doesn't make any sense. Vegeta in Super doesn't do nor say anything like his Cell saga version. He doesn't treat his family and friends like shit in Super like he did in most of Z nor does he do shit like help out an enemy just for his ego and his relationship with Cabba would have never happened in before the second half of the Buu arc. Nor would most of this

And where the hell is he angry and rude at people all the time in Super? He wasn't particularity friendly in GT neither, its not his character.
Simple: the Boo arc was the arc that had Vegeta solving his issue with Goku, he wanted to fight him ever since he defeated Freeza, they did it and much later then, Vegeta realizes and admits he's the number one.
You may say in the final chapter of the Kanzenban, Vegeta still express his desire to one day surpass Goku, but is not like he's obsessed with that anymore like we see in Super when he was willing to do anything for Whis to train him for that same reason. When I say "regressed to his Cell arc self" is not in the literal sense, but in the way he's always mad for no reason, even with his family, showing to be bothered with signs of affection by his god damn wife nor have interest on her birthday. Even in GT we get a better depiction of how their relationship developed well through the years.
Never said Vegeta was friendly in GT either, but he was settled down and no longer was a guy who gets angry at people for no reason. Not denying he had great moments on Super, but his character portrayal obfuscated these.
And the complaints about DBS Goku are nostalgia driven double standards. Goku was ALWAYS an goofy manchild for much of the time in the original series and more so in GT. He was barely serious for most of the Buu saga (his carelessness is what dragged out the arc) and was even more childish in GT than he was in Early DB
Not really. Goku is a goofy manchild yes, but when he became an adult he showed signs of maturity that sometimes were absent in Super. He's a guy that do everything for a good fight and get stronger, but why to have him to annoy Whis like a childish brat to train him? Or to annoy Zamasu to fight him? Better yet: forget the senzu beans on the bathroom heading to a freaking deadly battle that could cost not only his life but his friends too? Sorry, but all of these are character regression. I could even say more but I'm just gonna drop this here:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

GT_Goten10
Beyond Newbie

Post by GT_Goten10 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:57 pm

Noah wrote:Don't know how much unpopular this is, but I was satisfied with Trunks portrayal in GT.

I'm like a lot of fans the first time we knew the warrior who killed Freeza as the future child of Vegeta and Bulma, were interested to see how this baby would grow to be the same character.

EoZ showed very little, it was on GT that we had more of adult Trunks. I can say as a kid I didn't like much, but now I realize that his present self wasn't supposed to be the same as his future self: Present Trunks didn't born without knowing his dad, he wasn't forced to train in order to survive and protect his world from the apocalyptic scenary caused by the androids. So it would be unreal to expect GT Trunks to go on slicing villains on a half like the badass he was never portrayed to be like his future self. That would be just a fanservice rehash.

Also enjoyed in GT that Trunks like Goten were never the type of fighters like their dads, so I don't have problem with them not being a lot stronger nor taking more part of the action (though I would still like to see them fuse).

ricky84 wrote:How the hell is Vegeta regressed? That doesn't make any sense. Vegeta in Super doesn't do nor say anything like his Cell saga version. He doesn't treat his family and friends like shit in Super like he did in most of Z nor does he do shit like help out an enemy just for his ego and his relationship with Cabba would have never happened in before the second half of the Buu arc. Nor would most of this

And where the hell is he angry and rude at people all the time in Super? He wasn't particularity friendly in GT neither, its not his character.
Simple: the Boo arc was the arc that had Vegeta solving his issue with Goku, he wanted to fight him ever since he defeated Freeza, they did it and much later then, Vegeta realizes and admits he's the number one.
You may say in the final chapter of the Kanzenban, Vegeta still express his desire to one day surpass Goku, but is not like he's obsessed with that anymore like we see in Super when he was willing to do anything for Whis to train him for that same reason. When I say "regressed to his Cell arc self" is not in the literal sense, but in the way he's always mad for no reason, even with his family, showing to be bothered with signs of affection by his god damn wife nor have interest on her birthday. Even in GT we get a better depiction of how their relationship developed well through the years.
Never said Vegeta was friendly in GT either, but he was settled down and no longer was a guy who gets angry at people for no reason. Not denying he had great moments on Super, but his character portrayal obfuscated these.
And the complaints about DBS Goku are nostalgia driven double standards. Goku was ALWAYS an goofy manchild for much of the time in the original series and more so in GT. He was barely serious for most of the Buu saga (his carelessness is what dragged out the arc) and was even more childish in GT than he was in Early DB
Not really. Goku is a goofy manchild yes, but when he became an adult he showed signs of maturity that sometimes were absent in Super. He's a guy that do everything for a good fight and get stronger, but why to have him to annoy Whis like a childish brat to train him? Or to annoy Zamasu to fight him? Better yet: forget the senzu beans on the bathroom heading to a freaking deadly battle that could cost not only his life but his friends too? Sorry, but all of these are character regression. I could even say more but I'm just gonna drop this here:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Realtalk
GT Fighter

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:08 pm

Top 1 Reasons people hate GT Trunks:
-He is not Future Trunks clone

I'm glad he was completely fresh character. There is no reason for him to be like his future counterpart because Gohan is completely different as well.
Both Trunks and Goten received completely new personalities and were characters on their own. Goten had his girlfriend and his own life.

In DBZ and Super we only saw Goten&Trunks as a duo. They barely existed on their own.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

GT_Goten10
Beyond Newbie

Post by GT_Goten10 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:19 pm

-GT Goten is the most swaggy Character in the Franchise
GT Fighter

climatestrange

Post by climatestrange » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:28 pm

Vegeta's first death was better than his second and he should have stayed dead both times.

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Post by ricky84 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:17 pm

Noah wrote:
https://twitter.com/MJxTV/status/1002445514724474881

You have not shown a single instance of Vegeta getting mad at people for no reason in Super, so you are making shit up here. Why wouldn't he want to train with Whis seeing how much it would benefit him? Besides, Cell-arc Vegeta would never want to train under a another person because that would involve acknowledging that he is lesser than someone else, so your analogy is false here too.

Vegeta was pretty angry when he was shopping with Bulla in GT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p40ChcYf0n8. How is that any different? You are making a blatant double standard like most GT fans. The reason he was angry in ep.2 of Super is because he is doing something he doesn't enjoy, but the fact he choose to go with anyway despite not liking it says allot about how he's changed over the years. Hell, early in the ToP arc he refused to fight nor train until his daughter was born and taken care of. Cell-arc Vegeta would have never done such a thing, nor has GT Vegeta ever shown that level of care for his family in a non-dangerous situation.

Vegeta plushing at Bulma is not evidence of him having a better relationship with her in GT (we have seen him blush at her multiple times in Super as well, so there goes your argument lmao). Hell, we never actually see Vegeta show much affection for Bulma in GT like he does in Super or even the Buu saga.
Last edited by ricky84 on Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Post by ricky84 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:33 pm

Noah wrote:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
More double standards and hypocrisy. You are complaining about Goku's gag scenes in non-serious situations, when I can bring up a large library of moments of Goku acting stupid in DB/Z/GT, even in serious situations in the case of GT, especially after he and Vegeta defuse against O.Shenron: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooFZ0650cpk
Where do you think Team4Star get there jokes about Goku from? (which they have been making for years before Super existed.)
And claiming Goku never acts serious or mature in Super is a bold-face lie. Remember when Goku found out about what Black did to Chi-chi and Goten? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRtCoxeyJ9s. There was no more goofiness from Goku after that in that arc. Remember how Goku acts everytime he uses UI? Remember his character in the last 2 episodes of Super?
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

GT_Goten10
Beyond Newbie

Post by GT_Goten10 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:19 pm

ricky84 wrote:
Noah wrote:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
More double standards and hypocrisy. You are complaining about Goku's gag scenes in non-serious situations, when I can bring up a large library of moments of Goku acting stupid in DB/Z/GT, even in serious situations in the case of GT, especially after he and Vegeta defuse against O.Shenron: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooFZ0650cpk
Where do you think Team4Star get there jokes about Goku from? (which they have been making for years before Super existed.)
And claiming Goku never acts serious or mature in Super is a bold-face lie. Remember when Goku found out about what Black did to Chi-chi and Goten? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRtCoxeyJ9s. There was no more goofiness from Goku after that in that arc. Remember how Goku acts everytime he uses UI? Remember his character in the last 2 episodes of Super?
„It better be a pimple,because I am not going to the hospital“
:lol: i Love this scene :lol:
GT Fighter

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:57 pm

ricky84 wrote:https://twitter.com/MJxTV/status/1002445514724474881
You have not shown a single instance of Vegeta getting mad at people for no reason in Super, so you are making shit up here. Why wouldn't he want to train with Whis seeing how much it would benefit him? Besides, Cell-arc Vegeta would never want to train under a another person because that would involve acknowledging that he is lesser than someone else, so your analogy is false here too.
Vegeta was pretty angry when he was shopping with Bulla in GT, how is that any different? You are making a blatant double standard like most GT fans. The reason he was angry in ep.2 of Super is because he is doing something he doesn't enjoy, but the fact he choose to go with anyway despite not liking it says allot about how he's changed over the years. Hell, early in the ToP arc he refused to fight nor train until his daughter was born and taken care of. Cell-arc Vegeta would have never done such a thing, nor has GT Vegeta ever shown that level of care for his family in a non-dangerous situation.
Vegeta plushing at Bulma is not evidence of him having a better relationship with her in GT (we have seen him blush at her multiple times in Super as well, so there goes your argument lmao). Hell, we never actually see Vegeta show much affection for Bulma in GT like he does in Super or even the Buu saga.

First off, mate: you don't have to double post to reply me you can edit all in one single post, second off: tone down your atitude a little bit or you probably not last long enough here (I know from experience)

That Twitter link doesn’t prove much, Vegeta was clearly annoyed by the fact that Gero and Myuu were talking about their revenge against Goku all the time. We can also interpret Vegeta saying he’s the number one while Goku was not around. Don't know what you want you to prove though, never said that Vegeta moved on for good in GT, he was settled down, but still had sparks of his old rivalry with Goku, in Super is far worse.

Please, I showed you an episode scene of he in a vacation with his family, there are far more examples, but I’m not really willing to watch the whole show again looking for more.

Vegeta only showed interest in train with Whis because he complimented his form and said he could surpass Goku. And I think Cell arc Vegeta would train with Whis as well, remember: he knows Beerus ever since he was a child, knowing that Whis is his teacher and seeing the possibility of being way stronger than Goku (Post RoSaT) he would accept too, but this time probably without making a fool of himself.

You call that angry? Vegeta seemed pretty calm to me, even when he took off the car steering wheel from the guys flirting with his daughter.

I'm not GT fan, I think Super is somewhat superior, but GT had better character portrayal from a supposed Z sequel.
There's no reason for he to be angry, it's impossible for him to enjoy a moment with his family? Is not like Vegeta is a maniac that only trains, I'm sure he do a lot more things in his daily life. About the example you cited, I can give you that, though it only shows how inconsistent is his character in this show: in the same episode he fled from the vacation island, he wore his battle suit, made a speech about surpassing Goku and started training.

Really? Then mind showing me a few links? I don't remember seeing Vegeta blushing on Super, especially related to Bulma. Also you didn't got the message of the video, Vegeta ignored his pride to be helped by his wife on the task of becoming stronger.
Is not like I want they to explicity show their affection by which other, but at least when we had these little scenes you don't have Vegeta pulling a five-years old kid being mad and embarassed that his wife kissed him on the CHEEK.
More double standards and hypocrisy. You are complaining about Goku's gag scenes in non-serious situations, when I can bring up a large library of moments of Goku acting stupid in DB/Z/GT, even in serious situations in the case of GT, especially after he and Vegeta defuse against O.Shenron
And claiming Goku never acts serious or mature in Super is a bold-face lie. Remember when Goku found out about Black did to Chi-Chi and Goten? There was no more goofiness from Goku after that in that arc. Remember how Goku acts everytime he uses UI? Remember his character in the last 2 episodes of Super?

Didn't think I had to repeat myself: I'm not denying that neither Goku or Vegeta had good moments on Super (they had), but their characters portrayal being awfully inconsistent obfuscated these to me.

These were not gags, we never had adult Goku acting like a blatant idiot because he wanted to be trained or fight someone so bad. Is like he hadn't any masters who taught him before about patience, which we know it's not true.

About Goku eating the DB, at least he had a plan there, that was to weaken Li Shenlong. Is not like he forgot the key item to complete the technique that could defeat the villain. (Yes there was more "goofiness" after being angry at Black)

Good thing that you mentioned TFS, sometimes I feel that (Super) Goku is also a parody of the character he used to be.
Don't go putting words in my mouth, I didn't said that Goku never was serious in Super, hell even TFS had Goku going serious for the sake of story progression, which doesn't mean much.

Even though I loved moments like he getting mad at Black, when he fought Caulifla, Kale (probably the best of a few episodes that Super got his personality right) and of course all the times he used the Ultra Instinct, but still doesn't change my view of his character portrayal on this show.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

AnzuMazaki
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by AnzuMazaki » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:59 am

sunsetshimmer wrote:
I hated it when Toei started treating him like trash from the Universe 6 Arc onwards, just because the "Yamcha Shiyagatte..." meme proved to be so popular that it was appearing in other official anime and manga.
TBH I had high hopes for the baseball episode and fears of THAT meme showing up arose the night before.
You all know how that turned out... :x

It ONLY got worse in the Tournament of Power Arc, when everyone ignored him, His own friends.
It was my most hated part of Super in general...the original memes in the fandom piss me off enough as it is.
Wishes she can change her name to YamchaFan (her name everywhere else)
Obssessed with the Earthlings and the original DB anime

YamchaFan's deviantART: https://yamchafan91.deviantart.com/
YamchaFan's Fanart Tumblr: https://yamchafanart.tumblr.com/
YamchaFan's YouTube (where you can see MikuMikuDance Videos): https://www.youtube.com/user/MihoNosaka

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Post by ricky84 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:49 am

Noah wrote:
ricky84 wrote:https://twitter.com/MJxTV/status/1002445514724474881
Vegeta was pretty angry when he was shopping with Bulla in GT, how is that any different? You are making a blatant double standard like most GT fans. The reason he was angry in ep.2 of Super is because he is doing something he doesn't enjoy, but the fact he choose to go with anyway despite not liking it says allot about how he's changed over the years. Hell, early in the ToP arc he refused to fight nor train until his daughter was born and taken care of. Cell-arc Vegeta would have never done such a thing, nor has GT Vegeta ever shown that level of care for his family in a non-dangerous situation.

First off, mate: you don't have to double post to reply me you can edit all in one single post, second off: tone down your atitude a little bit or you probably not last long enough here (I know from experience)
Noah wrote:That Twitter link doesn’t prove much, Vegeta was clearly annoyed by the fact that Gero and Myuu were talking about their revenge against Goku all the time. We can also interpret Vegeta saying he’s the number one while Goku was not around. Don't know what you want you to prove though, never said that Vegeta moved on for good in GT, he was settled down, but still had sparks of his old rivalry with Goku, in Super is far worse.

You are back tracking you own arguments. Vegeta knew full well that Goku was alive and that Majuub was stronger than him, yet still called himself #1. You did say he moved on in GT, now you want to deny it?

Please, I showed you an episode scene of he in a vacation with his family, there are far more examples, but I’m not really willing to watch the whole show again looking for more.
Noah wrote:Vegeta only showed interest in train with Whis because he complimented his form and said he could surpass Goku. And I think Cell arc Vegeta would train with Whis as well, remember: he knows Beerus ever since he was a child, knowing that Whis is his teacher and seeing the possibility of being way stronger than Goku (Post RoSaT) he would accept too, but this time probably without making a fool of himself.

You call that angry? Vegeta seemed pretty calm to me, even when he took off the car steering wheel from the guys flirting with his daughter.

You clearly must not remember Z-Vegeta very well. Z-Vegeta outright refused to train with anyone in the Cell arc (he kept to himself in the ROSAT when he was inside with F.Trunks) under any circumstance, and he only started training with Present Trunks after he found out he could become a SSJ. That fact that DBS-Vegeta is willing to put his ego aside and embarrass himself at all is actually a good thing, because it shows that he is less egotistical and willing to be less selfish to save the world and/or to better himself. That's why many fans like the Bingo dance seen from Battle of Gods. Cell-arc Vegeta wouldn't do any of that.
Noah wrote:I'm not GT fan, I think Super is somewhat superior, but GT had better character portrayal from a supposed Z sequel.
There's no reason for he to be angry, it's impossible for him to enjoy a moment with his family? Is not like Vegeta is a maniac that only trains, I'm sure he do a lot more things in his daily life. About the example you cited, I can give you that, though it only shows how inconsistent is his character in this show: in the same episode he fled from the vacation island, he wore his battle suit, made a speech about surpassing Goku and started training.

Really? Then mind showing me a few links? I don't remember seeing Vegeta blushing on Super, especially related to Bulma. Also you didn't got the message of the video, Vegeta ignored his pride to be helped by his wife on the task of becoming stronger.
Is not like I want they to explicity show their affection by which other, but at least when we had these little scenes you don't have Vegeta pulling a five-years old kid being mad and embarassed that his wife kissed him on the CHEEK.
I just explained why he was angry in ep.2 yet you are still complaining smh. You can't force someone to enjoy something that they don't naturally like. And he clearly was just as pissed when he was shopping with Bulla.

a lot of people (especially the Japanese) don't like showing affection to their spouses in public, so how is that a problem for the character? And Vegeta constantly accepts Bulma's and even Goku's aid in Super.

You claim you don't prefer GT, yet you constantly make objectively false double standards in favor of it smh.

Noah wrote:Didn't think I had to repeat myself: I'm not denying that neither Goku or Vegeta had good moments on Super (they had), but their characters portrayal being awfully inconsistent obfuscated these to me.

These were not gags, we never had adult Goku acting like a blatant idiot because he wanted to be trained or fight someone so bad. Is like he hadn't any masters who taught him before about patience, which we know it's not true.

About Goku eating the DB, at least he had a plan there, that was to weaken Li Shenlong. Is not like he forgot the key item to complete the technique that could defeat the villain. (Yes there was more "goofiness" after being angry at Black)

Good thing that you mentioned TFS, sometimes I feel that (Super) Goku is also a parody of the character he used to be.
Don't go putting words in my mouth, I didn't said that Goku never was serious in Super, hell even TFS had Goku going serious for the sake of story progression, which doesn't mean much.

Even though I loved moments like he getting mad at Black, when he fought Caulifla, Kale (probably the best of a few episodes that Super got his personality right) and of course all the times he used the Ultra Instinct, but still doesn't change my view of his character portrayal on this show.
1. Those were clearly gag scenes, intentionally comedic moments. And yes, Goku acted the exact same way when he wanted to train under Kami and King Kai.

2. Goku eating the DB is not what I'm talking about, it's the misplaced comedic, goofy tone Goku had in the middle of the fight with O.Shenron. Goku didn't act like that in the middle of a battle with Black & Zamasu.

3. The point I was making with TFS was that Goku was ALWAYS a naive manchild, especially in non serious situations. That's where TFS's jokes about Goku come offf. Hell, many people in the forum use to complain about this for years before Super with created.

4. "Don't go putting words in my mouth, I didn't said that Goku never was serious in Super, hell even TFS had Goku going serious for the sake of story progression, which doesn't mean much."

Earlier in a previous post you said Goku had no moments of seriousness nor maturity in Super. Then I proved that wrong and now you want to backtrack your claim?

All those moments you listed DOES debunk your claims about his personality in Super, because if those complaints were valid then those moments of him being serious wouldn't even be there.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:15 pm

ricky84 wrote:1. Those were clearly gag scenes, intentionally comedic moments. And yes, Goku acted the exact same way when he wanted to train under Kami and King Kai.
2. Goku eating the DB is not what I'm talking about, it's the misplaced comedic, goofy tone Goku had in the middle of the fight with O.Shenron. Goku didn't act like that in the middle of a battle with Black & Zamasu.
3. The point I was making with TFS was that Goku was ALWAYS a naive manchild, especially in non serious situations. That's where TFS's jokes about Goku come offf. Hell, many people in the forum use to complain about this for years before Super with created.
4. "Don't go putting words in my mouth, I didn't said that Goku never was serious in Super, hell even TFS had Goku going serious for the sake of story progression, which doesn't mean much."

Earlier in a previous post you said Goku had no moments of seriousness nor maturity in Super. Then I proved that wrong and now you want to backtrack your claim?

All those moments you listed DOES debunk your claims about his personality in Super, because if those complaints were valid then those moments of him being serious wouldn't even be there.
1. “Intentionally comedic moments” you say, but is not like people has to give a pass to character regression for comedic purposes. And no, the only thing Goku did it in order to be trained by King Kai was to tell him a "funny" joke that if he laugh he would accept to train him. As for Kami it was him who requested Goku to stay more time in the Lookout to be trained.

2. It doesn't matter that Goku hadn't acted like a fool while fighting Black and Zamasu, if his acts (forgetting the senzu and the Mafuba seal) could had been determinant for this conflict conclusion. Goku eating the four-star DB summoned Nuova Shenron and served to them buy some time before Omega decided to kill them right way.

3. Well, I can say that I have been in this forum for quite a while and the only complaints I ever saw about Goku's character prior Super was how Toei in the animated series tended to give him a heroic nature that was never Toriyama aproach in the manga. Never saw any complaint about how dumb/naive Goku was until Super, which means they as TFS exaggerated on his character traits.

4. Then read my post again:
Not really. Goku is a goofy manchild yes, but when he became an adult he showed signs of maturity that sometimes were absent in Super. He's a guy that do everything for a good fight and get stronger, but why to have him to annoy Whis like a childish brat to train him? Or to annoy Zamasu to fight him? Better yet: forget the senzu beans on the bathroom heading to a freaking deadly battle that could cost not only his life but his friends too? Sorry, but all of these are character regression.

"sometimes" is the key word there, I didn’t stated that Goku was never serious in Super at all.

Edit: So I had to add a few more things, seeing that you has some difficulty to edit your posts, I didn’t saw your previous replies:
You are back tracking you own arguments. Vegeta knew full well that Goku was alive and that Majuub was stronger than him, yet still called himself #1. You did say he moved on in GT, now you want to deny it?
Goku was trapped in hell and Majuub was down, he was the only left to fight, you should rewatch this episode before discussing. Also I invite you to read my post again:
The Boo arc was the arc that had Vegeta solving his issue with Goku, he wanted to fight him ever since he defeated Freeza, they did it and much later then, Vegeta realizes and admits he's the number one.
You may say in the final chapter of the Kanzenban, Vegeta still express his desire to one day surpass Goku, but is not like he's obsessed with that anymore like we see in Super when he was willing to do anything for Whis to train him for that same reason.

Did I mentioned the words "moved on" and GT on these?
You clearly must not remember Z-Vegeta very well. Z-Vegeta outright refused to train with anyone in the Cell arc (he kept to himself in the ROSAT when he was inside with F.Trunks) under any circumstance, and he only started training with Present Trunks after he found out he could become a SSJ. That fact that DBS-Vegeta is willing to put his ego aside and embarrass himself at all is actually a good thing, because it shows that he is less egotistical and willing to be less selfish to save the world and/or to better himself. That's why many fans like the Bingo dance seen from Battle of Gods. Cell-arc Vegeta wouldn't do any of that.

Don't think so, Vegeta prior to the Boo arc is someone who only cares about his survival and getting stronger to surpass Kakarot. If Whis wanted, he could easily lure him to be trained as his lust for power would make for it. And I don't really see "many" people liking that Bingo dance, actually was one of the most hated scenes in the movie, I can say Super had a better aproach making Vegeta cook instead of dancing was not dreadful to his character.
I just explained why he was angry in ep.2 yet you are still complaining smh. You can't force someone to enjoy something that they don't naturally like. And he clearly was just as pissed when he was shopping with Bulla. A lot of people (especially the Japanese) don't like showing affection to their spouses in public, so how is that a problem for the character? And Vegeta constantly accepts Bulma's and even Goku's aid in Super. You claim you don't prefer GT, yet you constantly make objectively false double standards in favor of it smh.

You didn't explain anything, my complaint about this episode was that in the final moments we get the idea that Vegeta was feeling that he was wasting time where he could spent on training for his "goal" which is lame for the progression he had after the Boo arc. You can say Vegeta was grumpy, but pissed? Not really no.

As far from I remember Bulma didn't aid Vegeta on anything he needed (on-screen) and he only accepts Goku help when things are out of hand. They could resolved the Golden Freeza conflict if they cooperate together and what about Vegeta refusing to give his energy to the Genki Dama to help his god damn universe?

Sorry, you may be biased with Super and think I'm biased with GT, but no both shows had good and negative aspects, I'm only pointing these.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:48 pm

I was watching the Ocean Dub of the first 3 movies and to be honest? In my opinion, they're just not...good. Sure, the scripts are great - Movie 3 in particular has a vastly superior script to the Funi Uncut dub, but man is the acting from most of the cast weird and stiff - Terry Klassen sucks, and Peter Kalamis makes Goku sound like an absolute goddamnned doofus (and now I see that the biggest reason I find early Schemmel unbearable is because he was channeling the really annoying aspects of Kelamis and making them even worse) and the dubs as a whole are littered with awkward lines and deliveries.

Although I will say that Scott McNeil kicks ass as Piccolo.

Seeing as how Movies 1 and 2's Ultimate Uncut scripts are more or less identical to the Ocean dubs'...yeah, I have no use for them, sadly.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:18 pm

We couldn't have been watching the same movies because I did watch with the dub with the subtitles of the original on and the dialog is VERY close.

I don't know what your specific issue is with Klassen, but besides Kelamis obviously, what other performances are awkward?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:23 pm

ABED wrote:We couldn't have been watching the same movies because I did watch with the dub with the subtitles of the original on and the dialog is VERY close.

I don't know what your specific issue is with Klassen, but besides Kelamis obviously, what other performances are awkward?
I meant that the Ocean dub had a great script while Funi's Movie 3 script was pretty bad.

I just found that a lot of the performances, especially Klassen since he's so ubiquitous, sound very strange and nasally, and there's this unnaturalness in the way everybody speaks, like they're clearly reading lines. Chi-Chi's another one that just sounded awkward in 99% of her lines. I think that could be chalked up to ADR/Direction more than anything, but who knows.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler