The International Version of the Buu-Kai Arc

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: The International Version of the Buu-Kai Arc

Post by Valerius Dover » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:11 pm

Ah, the one that's missing from the Japanese version. Well, it's probably just trimming the last two episodes down to one.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:01 am

^ That would make the most sense, since it would be just one last episode to piece together instead of triggering a chain reaction forcing them to edit a bunch of episodes.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:06 pm

Cold Skin wrote:^ That would make the most sense, since it would be just one last episode to piece together instead of triggering a chain reaction forcing them to edit a bunch of episodes.
I think that is exactly what is going to be the case here. Every bit of filler and breathing room will be removed, literally going by the manga panels.
International Kai will cover the final 3 episodes in 2, Japan will do it in one.

Darkblade1995
Beyond Newbie

Post by Darkblade1995 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:41 pm

I actually think that the last 3 Z episodes will remain unedited. Okay maybe they will have a recap at the end of the last episode, but not much would get cut out. Episode 156 seems to have footage up to where Goku throws the Genki Dama. I think they will end the episode there, and then 157 will have the Genki Dama vs Kid Buu struggle, and the second half will have the first half of episode 287 of Z. 288 Is filler, so Z has 3 episodes left, and so does The Final Chapters. So I think that those episodes will remain unedited, and the Japanese version will cut those 3 episodes into 2. Or maybe we will see a montage episode, but I highly doubt it.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:59 pm

Darkblade1995 wrote:I actually think that the last 3 Z episodes will remain unedited. Okay maybe they will have a recap at the end of the last episode, but not much would get cut out. Episode 156 seems to have footage up to where Goku throws the Genki Dama. I think they will end the episode there, and then 157 will have the Genki Dama vs Kid Buu struggle, and the second half will have the first half of episode 287 of Z. 288 Is filler, so Z has 3 episodes left, and so does The Final Chapters. So I think that those episodes will remain unedited, and the Japanese version will cut those 3 episodes into 2. Or maybe we will see a montage episode, but I highly doubt it.
I would have to agree with you now, having thought about it. My thinking is that 163 (International Version) will end at the start of Z 286 (about 5 mins in) the remainder of Z 286 and the first half of 287 will be covered in Kai 164, the second half of 287 will be trimmed off, along with the filler episode 288, 165 will then begin with 289, followed by 166 (290) 167 (291).

So, yeah, I totally agree - it looks as though the last three International episodes will match Z, with the footage swapped around to get the Manga scenes as close as possible, which is a pattern for the majority of this iteration of Kai.

Darkblade1995
Beyond Newbie

Post by Darkblade1995 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:22 pm

Now having put a bit more thought into it, I think they are going to do it a bit differently. This weeks episode (International episode 163) will end with Goku throwing the Genki Dama. The next Episode will end with Mr Satan telling everbody on Earth that Buu is dead. Then 165 will start with Goku and the others appearing on the Lookout, and then we will fastforward 10 years later. The very last episode will probably start the same as 291, but we will have a 2-4 minute recap of the events of the series. I think it will go this way, because, even though they left a lot of filler in, there is not one episode (except for International episode 100) that is the same as the Z episode. And since they have like 15 minutes left of episode 286 after this episode, they will probably keep that as is, and edit the first 5 minutes of 287 into International 165.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:19 pm

Darkblade1995 wrote:Now having put a bit more thought into it, I think they are going to do it a bit differently. This weeks episode (International episode 163) will end with Goku throwing the Genki Dama. The next Episode will end with Mr Satan telling everbody on Earth that Buu is dead. Then 165 will start with Goku and the others appearing on the Lookout, and then we will fastforward 10 years later. The very last episode will probably start the same as 291, but we will have a 2-4 minute recap of the events of the series. I think it will go this way, because, even though they left a lot of filler in, there is not one episode (except for International episode 100) that is the same as the Z episode. And since they have like 15 minutes left of episode 286 after this episode, they will probably keep that as is, and edit the first 5 minutes of 287 into International 165.
I can see something like that being the case here, also. Like the first episode of the International Version had a 5 minute recap, whereas the Japanese one trimmed it to 30 seconds.

EDIT:

Right, this week's Kai finished 6 minutes into DBZ 286. Next week (just like you said) should wrap up the scenes on the Supreme World of the Kais, meaning International 165 should begin with everyone on the Lookout.

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:11 pm

My French BD box arrived on Monday and I've watched up to episode 105. I must say, I'm really enjoying the International version much more than the Japanese. The pacing of these early episodes is definitely improved. It really shows how much some of the filler actually did this arc some good. It also helps that most of the filler that was left in, is filler that I actually enjoy. Also, unlike the Japanese version, this version feels much more like a continuation of Kai 1.0 to me, it's hard to explain. All and all, I'm very happy with the International version and can't wait for the dub!

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:25 pm

Freeza Soldier #156 wrote:My French BD box arrived on Monday and I've watched up to episode 105. I must say, I'm really enjoying the International version much more than the Japanese. The pacing of these early episodes is definitely improved. It really shows how much some of the filler actually did this arc some good. It also helps that most of the filler that was left in, is filler that I actually enjoy. Also, unlike the Japanese version, this version feels much more like a continuation of Kai 1.0 to me, it's hard to explain. All and all, I'm very happy with the International version and can't wait for the dub!
How's the picture quality compared to the TV broadcast ?
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:55 pm

How's Korean Kai? Still airing?

ShinGaijin
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShinGaijin » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:28 am

TheGmGoken wrote:How's Korean Kai? Still airing?
Here's for ya ! :thumbup: http://jbox.co.kr/content/4034

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Naruto6583 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:01 am

ShinGaijin wrote:
TheGmGoken wrote:How's Korean Kai? Still airing?
Here's for ya ! :thumbup: http://jbox.co.kr/content/4034
So they're at the fight with gohan and buu?
PSN SonGoku325
DeviantArt http://narut6228.deviantart.com/

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:49 am

Any sign of Let it Burn in the international version yet? I believe today should be the day Buu gets defeated in France.

"This sucks. Make more."

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:59 pm

Valerius Dover wrote:Any sign of Let it Burn in the international version yet? I believe today should be the day Buu gets defeated in France.
No "let it Burn" this week. The episode was exactly the same as the Japanese version. So the final 3 episodes will be edited down into 2 for Japan.

At the moment, it is looking likely that the final three episodes for the International Version will be simply Z 289, 290 & 291. The difference being, that they will simply swap the footage around so that the Manga scenes are closer together than they were originally.
Though, the other solution would be for International #165 to be a recap, which seems unlikely. I haven't seen the NEP from the French broadcast, but it is obvious that it will be different from the Japanese one, this of course, will give us a clear idea of the difference between the two versions.

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:08 pm

DBZ_Lee wrote: No "let it Burn" this week. The episode was exactly the same as the Japanese version. So the final 3 episodes will be edited down into 2 for Japan.
This is really weird. I wold've expected it to be here. It seems really odd that they would go through the trouble of making a 5 minute long song for the international version of Kai only to never use it in the actual series. I mean, what was the point of that? Even the Opening and Ending don't have full versions, but this song not used in the series does? Kai logic, I guess.

Yeah, I know there are still 3 episodes left, but it's very unlikely this'll be used during the End of Z portion.

On another note, when is Funi making their September announcements?

"This sucks. Make more."

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:45 pm

Valerius Dover wrote:
DBZ_Lee wrote: No "let it Burn" this week. The episode was exactly the same as the Japanese version. So the final 3 episodes will be edited down into 2 for Japan.
This is really weird. I wold've expected it to be here. It seems really odd that they would go through the trouble of making a 5 minute long song for the international version of Kai only to never use it in the actual series. I mean, what was the point of that? Even the Opening and Ending don't have full versions, but this song not used in the series does? Kai logic, I guess.

Yeah, I know there are still 3 episodes left, but it's very unlikely this'll be used during the End of Z portion.

On another note, when is Funi making their September announcements?
Should be sometime this week, it would make sense for FUNi to release the first part in September, following "F"s theatrical run in August, but judging by how they've dropped the ball with this, I don't expect it anytime soon.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:20 pm

DBZ_Lee wrote:
Should be sometime this week, it would make sense for FUNi to release the first part in September, following "F"s theatrical run in August, but judging by how they've dropped the ball with this, I don't expect it anytime soon.
Here it is :

http://www.funimation.com/forum/showthr ... mber-15%29

No Kai for god knows why.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:25 pm

sintzu wrote:
DBZ_Lee wrote:
Here it is :

http://www.funimation.com/forum/showthr ... mber-15%29

No Kai for god knows why.
Not surprised in the least. Very disappointing.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:27 pm

DBZ_Lee wrote:
Not surprised in the least. Very disappointing.
What's taking so long ? with it being their biggest brand wouldn't they want to release it as fast as they can ?

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:28 pm

I have a feeling we won't get The Final Chapters until early next year.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]