What If Eiichiro Oda wrote Dragon Ball?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: What If Eiichiro Oda wrote Dragon Ball?

Post by TheAldella » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:40 am

Given the same powers and characters, well, I think Oda would've found a way to make it escalate even further.
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

DonZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DonZ » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:43 am

It's true that One Piece characters have unique powers. but imo, Oda didn't know how to use them well to make good fights. OP fights are decent, Luffy vs Lucci and Ace vs The Blackbread are the only fights that i would call "great"
while in DB we have many great fights, in the original series and Z. now Hunter x Hunter and Naruto are good examples of unique powers with amazing brilliant fights.
Last edited by DonZ on Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:45 am

DonZ wrote:It's true that One Piece characters have unique powers. but imo, Oda didn't know how to use them well to make good fights. OP fights are decent, Luffy vs Lucci and Ace vs The Blackbread is the only fights that i would call "great" and maybe the
while in DB we have many great fights, in the original series and Z. now Hunter x Hunter and Naruto are good examples of unique powers with amazing brilliant fights.
All fights written by that guy are brilliant. YuYu Hakusho kicked so much ass.
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

DonZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DonZ » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:46 am

YYH wasn't really unique, it was something like DBZ. but it has an amazing fights overall.

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:53 am

DonZ wrote:YYH wasn't really unique, it was something like DBZ. but it has an amazing fights overall.
Exactly. Overall, the fights were sick. I'm not saying it's not similiar to DBZ at all.
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:19 pm

TheAldella wrote:
DonZ wrote:YYH wasn't really unique, it was something like DBZ. but it has an amazing fights overall.
Exactly. Overall, the fights were sick. I'm not saying it's not similiar to DBZ at all.

Man I LOVE Yuyu Hakusho. Now that's an awesome series. X3
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

SaiyanZ
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyanZ » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:31 pm

TheAldella wrote:
I actually think the 2 are VERY similar tbh XD. I actually have a list over here on Notepad for a video I'm making for a YT channel lol

Btw, my top villains in One Piece so far are Crocodile, Enel and Doflamingo. Lucci is good too, and I guess Akainu and Blackbeard, though they aren't as good as the former 3 imo
Tim Duncan is dope and forever.

My favorite anime and manga (characters included): https://myanimelist.net/profile/SaiyanZ?q=SaiyanZ

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:49 pm

Flame Dragon wrote:
I watched the end of the Alabasta Arc, and i must say that you guys are overblowing this.
It's not like One Piece is AWFUL until Volume 34!

To me, the show started becoming awesome at the Arlong Arc, and it keeps getting better!
It was pretty good before Arlong too. I found the Captain Kuro arc pretty interesting.
I wasn't saying that it DOES take that long to get good, just that it would be a huge problem if it did. I like the earlier arcs of One Piece, and so I myself never had the problem of waiting for it to get good for me.

@Jodaku Excellent post, that's exactly how I feel as well. And it doesn't take a whole lot for me to keep reading, even if I'm not yet hooked.

@DBZGTKOSDH Good points, but I was thinking that maybe merging with the statue was what "killed" Yamato, so instead of being a spoiler it's more like Kishimoto simply clarifying what hadn't been made clear in the manga. I'd like for him to still be alive though.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

cpuguy18

Post by cpuguy18 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:30 pm

The story would be better but the fights would not be nowhere as good. Its been a long time since there was an actual brawl in one piece.

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:57 pm

Sorry that it took me a while to reply.

Regarding Uchiha Obito being the worst villain, you have to remember that Obito was not the real villain behind the scene. He was brainwashed by Uchiha Madara, the one who schemed everything in destroying the ninja world. Obito was Kakashi's comrade as well as Rin. When Kakashi was being too hard on him and Rin being killed, Obito thought he had nothing left to live, and he started to realized how cruel the world was. That's where the idea of peace was planted in his mind. That's how he met Madara. Obito isn't pure evil like Madara is. He was just being bad dude because he thought there was nothing good in the world and had hoped Madara would bring peace he had envisioned.

I don't see how Obito is a terrible villain when Madara is the real villain. I think Kishimoto did great job in writing Obito's twisted character. Kishimoto's writing has more positive than negative. Part 1 is just a set up for Part 2. Has anyone forgotten about Uchiha Itachi and his past, the history of Hidden Leaf, Uchiha clan, Sasuke's twisted character, Orochimaru, and everything else before the final war? Those were some awesome writing. Those were some very complicated plots planned ahead by the author.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

Flame Dragon
Regular

Post by Flame Dragon » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:17 am

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:Sorry that it took me a while to reply.

Regarding Uchiha Obito being the worst villain, you have to remember that Obito was not the real villain behind the scene. He was brainwashed by Uchiha Madara, the one who schemed everything in destroying the ninja world. Obito was Kakashi's comrade as well as Rin. When Kakashi was being too hard on him and Rin being killed, Obito thought he had nothing left to live, and he started to realized how cruel the world was. That's where the idea of peace was planted in his mind. That's how he met Madara. Obito isn't pure evil like Madara is. He was just being bad dude because he thought there was nothing good in the world and had hoped Madara would bring peace he had envisioned.

I don't see how Obito is a terrible villain when Madara is the real villain. I think Kishimoto did great job in writing Obito's twisted character. Kishimoto's writing has more positive than negative. Part 1 is just a set up for Part 2. Has anyone forgotten about Uchiha Itachi and his past, the history of Hidden Leaf, Uchiha clan, Sasuke's twisted character, Orochimaru, and everything else before the final war? Those were some awesome writing. Those were some very complicated plots planned ahead by the author.
I think Obito's underrated. It's not like he's the first character that becomes evil after his crush dies EVER in the history of writing.
If anything the reason the war arc is bad is because all the Edo characters were useless and Kishimoto skipped a lot of battles.
Why no Swordsman of the Mist epic battle? Why not Neji VS His Father? Why Edo Kimimaro did jackshit? Why the Edo Jinchuuriki were so lame?
Instead we got lame ass White Zetsu battles, Deidara and Sasori defeated with one attack, and worse of all, no deaths at all, this war had no freaking sense of tension.
I throught war was bloody and cruel, instead this war was... cheerful and an excuse to let Naruto train his Kyuubi Mode.
This makes all past wars, described as terrible and grim, worse.
The only decent fights were Kinkaku Bros, Edo Kages and Itachi VS Kabuto.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:02 am

Obito is an horrible villain...

Kakashi had to deal with his father's death when he was young, with Obito's death (or so he thought), with Rin's death (at his own hands!) and even his master, the 4rd Hokage, death. Is he a villain? Does he want to end the world? Is he a bitch? Nope.

Obito? Well, he had to deal with Rin's death. "OMG the world must end and a illusion world should replace it because there's a hole in my heart". :problem:

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:04 am

I have the feeling that everyone hates Obito because they are pissed off that Tobi turned out to be Obito...
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:07 am

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:I have the feeling that everyone hates Obito because they are pissed off that Tobi turned out to be Obito...
I hate Obito because, as a villain, he is boring and horrible. I would have no problem with Tobi being Obito if the backstory of how and why he became a villain was good.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:31 am

He wants to bring peace because after seeing his crush getting killed in front of him by his best friend, he realized how cruel this world is. So through Madara's plan, he wants to change this world to the best, but he has to be cruel & merciless in order to do that. He is not a real villain, he has to act like a villain in order to bring peace.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:34 am

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:He wants to bring peace because after seeing his crush getting killed in front of him by his best friend, he realized how cruel this world is. So through Madara's plan, he wants to change this world to the best, but he has to be cruel & merciless in order to do that. He is not a real villain, he has to act like a villain in order to bring peace.
He wants to bring peace by forcing everyone into a coma with sweet dreams...

Like someone else in another forum said, this whole Obito thing, is a "fit thrown by a brat, who idiotically blamed the world because his secret fap material got killed in the line of duty for an occupation that both of them willingly signed up for knowing all the dangers that accompanied the job".

Like I said, even Kakashi suffered way worse than Obito.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:42 am

True, but Kakashi didn't have any way to change Rin's, his father's, or the world's fate in general, while Obito did have the means to do it right in front of him. It's the easy route to accomplish all of his dreams, who wouldn't do that?

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:55 am

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:True, but Kakashi didn't have any way to change Rin's, his father's, or the world's fate in general, while Obito did have the means to do it right in front of him. It's the easy route to accomplish all of his dreams, who wouldn't do that?
Huh, no one would do that.... If Obito wants his dream world so bad, then he should just find a way to put himself into a permanent genjutsu in which Rin is alive and all is well. But nooooooo. Lets destroy the world for everybody because I hurt inside. Ridiculous.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:14 am

He didn't only want Rin in his side, he wanted to bring peace in the whole world. If he had accomplished his plan, then everyone would be happy in the end.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:16 am

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:He didn't only want Rin in his side, he wanted to bring peace in the whole world. If he had accomplished his plan, then everyone would be happy in the end.
Yeah, and if everyone is in a coma or dead I guess there is peace. That's some flawless logic right there.