Does Dragon Ball have the largest, least toxic, fandom in existence of fictional franchises?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

The Patrolman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Does Dragon Ball have the largest, least toxic, fandom in existence of fictional franchises?

Post by The Patrolman » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:47 am

SpiritBombTriumphant wrote:I think we're quite toxic. There is plenty of assholery in this community (the DB community, not Kanzenshuu). I've been a part of it too. But we are deeply divided on plenty of issues:

1. Kikuchi vs Faulconer
2. GT is good vs GT sucks
3. Yamamuro vs Shintani
4. Toriyama's new contributions suck vs Toriyama is just like he used to be

Look at the My Hero Academia community. What do they argue about?

1. "MHA" vs "BNHA."

It's just how things are =/
Oh that community argues about a lot of shit
The Last Jedi is a terrible movie

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Does Dragon Ball have the largest, least toxic, fandom in existence of fictional franchises?

Post by ABED » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:50 pm

Again, is it that we are divided or HOW we argue?

MHA has only been around for a cup of coffee. Give it time.

Get any group of people together, they aren't all going to degree. Is it any surprise that fans are split on issues? And how is that a bad thing?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:29 pm

Dragon Ball may be the only anime I know where the majority of fans in the US not only prefer the dub but actively dislike the Japanese version. As someone who generally refuses to watch Dragon Ball dubbed, this results in me having to argue on behalf of both the manga and the Japanese version. I can't think of any other anime where I have that problem probably because very few anime have lasted this long in terms of popularity. In that regard I think that DB has the most unique fan base of most anime out there. We all love Dragon Ball but for very different reasons.