Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Coming 2022?

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sat May 08, 2021 9:51 am

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if this movie was supposed to come out earlier like this year or at the end of 2020, Covid kind of ruined everyone and everything's schedule. Especially since they were already talking of a new movie back in 2019 before this whole mess started.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sat May 08, 2021 9:53 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 9:51 am Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if this movie was supposed to come out earlier like this year or at the end of 2020, Covid kind of ruined everyone and everything's schedule. Especially since they were already talking of a new movie back in 2019 before this whole mess started.
Then it wouldn't be set after Granolah arc for sure, because the manga's schedule thankfully stayed the same.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sat May 08, 2021 9:54 am

Xeogran wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 9:53 am
SupremeKai25 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 9:51 am Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if this movie was supposed to come out earlier like this year or at the end of 2020, Covid kind of ruined everyone and everything's schedule. Especially since they were already talking of a new movie back in 2019 before this whole mess started.
Then it wouldn't be set after Granolah arc for sure, because the manga's schedule thankfully stayed the same.
In fact I don't expect this movie to be set after the Granolah arc, it might take place in the months of peace after the end of the Moro arc.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat May 08, 2021 9:55 am

I hope it's between broly and moro.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat May 08, 2021 10:24 am

An unexpected character and unexplained territory in terms of the visual aesthetics sounds promising, but in a very vague way.

Super Broly was announced before the Tournament of Power ended, so you could argue Freeza was an unexpected character in it, since we didn't know his revival would be permanent, so in the new movie how much that character contributes is up for debate. Of course, Toriyama could be referring to an existing character that may get involved in the conflict somehow.

With the aesthetics I'm definitely open to more experimentation like what Broly had. Something similar if Shintani returns or even another new style altogether could be interesting.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat May 08, 2021 11:12 am

Me, a masochist: I sure hope the unexpected character is Cell! I want him to be Pan's sensei!
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Sat May 08, 2021 11:12 am

It can’t be Cooler guys! Because Toriyama always ignores Toei’s crappy non canon filler movies. When he expects fans to know about “characters” it is from his own original manga. Afterall, it is HIS work and content.

If he says, an “unexpected” character may turn up.

Then it’s 1) Someone we already know..

And 2) A character that appeared in either the original Dragon Ball Manga, or Dragon Ball Super.. (I.e. Toriyama’s CANON!)

Though I wouldn’t mind seeing a Canon Janemba!

BIASED!!!!

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Sat May 08, 2021 11:20 am

Well according to the article on Kanzenshuu’s main page, one of the producers says “ We made Broli TOO POWERFUL, in the last movie, so we’re looking to take things in another direction to avoid burnout” .. that’s interesting, my original post here was gonna say “I’m just expecting a curve ball”, so it seems we’re getting that to some degree, so I’m open to see where this goes.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Sat May 08, 2021 11:36 am

Hellspawn28 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 1:07 am
ZombieVito wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:53 pm
Hellspawn28 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:47 pm I feel like Goku Black & Zamasu have a better chance being the main movie villain instead of Cell or Coola.
Really? Why?
Because those two are very popular and many people would buy merchadise of MUI of Black or Megerd Zamasu. I have a feeling the movie is going to be something that no one will see coming.
Hopefully you are right.

Zamasu is my favorite character.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Sat May 08, 2021 11:41 am

goku the krump dancer wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:20 am Well according to the article on Kanzenshuu’s main page, one of the producers says “ We made Broli TOO POWERFUL, in the last movie, so we’re looking to take things in another direction to avoid burnout” .. that’s interesting, my original post here was gonna say “I’m just expecting a curve ball”, so it seems we’re getting that to some degree, so I’m open to see where this goes.
It's quite possible that we're going to see a "smaller film" than Broly. Broly was essentially one long wrestling match. And while I enjoyed it, I did start feeling numb to all of the cg effects and explosions. A smaller, more emotional story might be needed to focus less on the fights and more on the characters.

On the "unexpected character," front, I have to imagine it'll probably be a cameo. While I would love to see them dig deep into DB lore, this thing has gotta make money, so I also agree on Goku Black making an appearance. But everything so far seems to suggest this isn't simply an anime adaptation of the Moro arc.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sat May 08, 2021 11:48 am

Hellspawn28 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:47 pm I feel like Goku Black & Zamasu have a better chance being the main movie villain instead of Cell or Coola.
Honestly this. Like if the poster of the new movie has a shot of MUI Fused Zamasu or MUI Goku Black, peak ratings are guaranteed.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Sat May 08, 2021 11:50 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 7:47 am
Skar wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 4:56 am When was the most recent poll? A poll held right after the Goku Black arc might not reflect the same opinions after the arc has aged a few years. I think it's unlikely Goku Black has that much lasting popularity that Toriyama would decide to bring him back since he wasn't referenced at all after his arc ended (aside from one comment from the U10 GoD in the manga). Freeza was likely the most popular villain in the original and referenced in some way in every arc between Namek and RoF.
Nope, the last poll took place in 2018, 2 years after the Goku Black arc was already over (Goku Black arc ended in November 2016).

https://dragonball.fandom.com/wiki/Popularity_Polls

So you can't use "character was still fresh!!" excuse as an argument because the character had been dead for two years already.
Oh wow. Black is in every poll since his debut.

He even beat Freeza in some.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Sat May 08, 2021 11:51 am

ZombieVito wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:50 am
Skar wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 4:56 am When was the most recent poll? A poll held right after the Goku Black arc might not reflect the same opinions after the arc has aged a few years. I think it's unlikely Goku Black has that much lasting popularity that Toriyama would decide to bring him back since he wasn't referenced at all after his arc ended (aside from one comment from the U10 GoD in the manga). Freeza was likely the most popular villain in the original and referenced in some way in every arc between Namek and RoF.
Nope, the last poll took place in 2018, 2 years after the Goku Black arc was already over (Goku Black arc ended in November 2016).

So you can't use "character was still fresh!!" excuse as an argument because the character had been dead for two years already.

Ofcourse he beats Frieza.. Frieza sucks! Goku Black is the single best character ever created by Toriyama. He beats anyone.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Sat May 08, 2021 11:56 am

I think the unexpected character will be a supporting character like Trunks, #17 or Buu. Almost every arc has had a returning character like that, someone with an extended role in a previous arc but who had since been neglected. My bet is on #16.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sat May 08, 2021 11:58 am

Honestly either Black or Zamasu coming back makes a lot of sense when you consider that Toriyama said there will be an "unexpected character", who would expect to see someone who got himself erased in an alternate timeline? The wording fits, time will tell.
ZombieVito wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:50 am

The character is super marketable. Even the episode of his anime debut had very high ratings:
Episode 47 - TV 8.4%
viewtopic.php?t=30872

That's A LOT, it was one of the most watched/successful episodes in ALL of Super. So the character is undoubtedly very popular and iconic.

Regardless I'll just wait for tomorrow, if Goku Black returns I'll rejoice, if someone else returns, oh well Black also came back in Heroes recently. It's a win-win.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sat May 08, 2021 12:03 pm

Unexpected character does make me think it’s a villain we already know. Not thrilled about that but I’ll hope for the best

If it was Goku Black I wouldn’t mind so much but other suggestions Baby, Cooler, Cell don’t excite me so much. But it’s still exciting just to have a new movie again so I shouldn’t complain at this early stage.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Sat May 08, 2021 12:04 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 7:47 amNope, the last poll took place in 2018, 2 years after the Goku Black arc was already over (Goku Black arc ended in November 2016).

I mean I would still consider that relatively recent compared to characters who have existed for decades. Broly was higher on both 2018 polls but DBS: Broly will likely be his only appearance since he wasn't brought up in the following two arcs taking place in U7. Zamasu was pretty dead last we saw him after being erased by Zeno. I don't think Heroes explained how Merged Zamasu or Goku Black were brought back there so I prefer they wouldn't do that again and leave it up to the audience to guess.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat May 08, 2021 12:14 pm

Skar wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 12:04 pm
SupremeKai25 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 7:47 amNope, the last poll took place in 2018, 2 years after the Goku Black arc was already over (Goku Black arc ended in November 2016).

I mean I would still consider that relatively recent compared to characters who have existed for decades. Broly was higher on both 2018 polls but DBS: Broly will likely be his only appearance since he wasn't brought up in the following two arcs taking place in U7. Zamasu was pretty dead last we saw him after being erased by Zeno. I don't think Heroes explained how Merged Zamasu or Goku Black were brought back there so I prefer they wouldn't do that again and leave it up to the audience to guess.
For context, that’s OG Broly. The poll was done before the Broly movie.

And Goku Black is still stupidly popular. Legends release a new Goku Black card every year and he’s one of only four villains to get a LF: the first being Frieza, Super Broly who came with Gogeta Blue, and Kid Buu. So he got a LF before Cell and Saiyan Saga Vegeta.

Black was also an anniversary unit in Dokkan and is often paired with Vegito Blue.
Last edited by HeroR on Sat May 08, 2021 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Sat May 08, 2021 12:15 pm

I hope they're not bringing back another dead/non-main-continuity villain into the show. Some creativity and originality is all I ask.

Extreme_kai
Beyond Newbie

Post by Extreme_kai » Sat May 08, 2021 12:20 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:44 pm
Extreme_kai wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 6:34 pm
GodVegetto91 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 5:17 pm
Cooler is an absolutely horrible character with an absolutely HORRIBLE design. The absolute worst of the worst. Not to mention, he is literally just another Freeza ripoff. (Another character who’s design and background I HATE!) He appeared all the way back in mid Z. There’s literally no way he could match Goku and Vegeta post Granolah Arc the way they will be then. Not with 4 months of training, not even with 4 YEARS of brutal harsh training. It would be incredibly bad writing if that was the case.

Cooler is literally just an even worse version of Freeza, a character I never wanted to see being revived in the first place. He’s literally just your stereotypical “Monster” that appears in all sorts of fiction and cartoons. He doesn’t have a cool, and laidback design like Super Janemba had from the Fusion Reborn movie.
Well, that's just your opinion, man. I for one love Cooler, from his design to his motivation, to his connection with Frieza. OBJECTIVELY he is an infinitely more interesting and compelling character than Janemba will ever be. You call Cooler a stereotypical “Monster”, but that is literally what Super Janemba is lol. Janemba is literally just some random kid that was turned into an unstoppable monster on accident, the guy cannot even talk lol. Sure, Janemba looks cool, but that's where all interest in that character dies for me. Janemba's movie was literally just a platform to showcase Gogeta, Cooler didn't need to have the heroes showcase any new ability, he was the showcase.
“Interesting” and “compelling” are subjective terms and have no ground in any form of objectivity Extreme_kai... I actually find Super Janemba to be far more interesting and compelling BECAUSE he was a character that didn’t speak very much and the fact that he was literally born from all the evil contained and build up within that soul cleansing machine makes his story very interesting... (Much like Buu who had existed since time immemorial!) A very “mysterious” DEMON in indeed.. The fact that he had so little in common with the average folk in the multiverse is EXACTLY what made him so “interesting”, “compelling” and indeed, MYSTERIOUS, imo...

(Much more so than some young, primitive, random mutant of a random super powerful mortal alien race with some dumb transformations.)
I said more interesting and compelling in comparison to Janemba, which he 100% is. Tell me, what is so interesting about Janemba outside of his moveset and design? Just being a random kid turned into a mindless demonic monster is not interesting, it can offer insight on the soul-cleansing machine, but the kid himself is just random asf. Does his existence offer insight into the past of other major characters and lore in the series? Last I checked, being the Brother to Frieza and son to King Cold is kinda a huge deal in Dragonball. Controlling parts of an empire that affect billions of alien species is a huge deal in Dragonball. Cooler has so much untapped potential while Janemba has zero unless you want to create an entirely different character. I'm done are arguing, Cooler is OBJECTIVELY a better character because he actually has a "character" lol
Last edited by Extreme_kai on Sat May 08, 2021 12:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.