How did Goten and Trunks beat Broly?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:17 am

-_- I still haven't seen movie11. (Though to answer the original question... Broli was alergic to water. :D ). Anything that gives a lot of attention to Kuririn, Goten and Mr. Satan sounds interesting... but I'd have to see it to comment further.
Movie7 I don't have much interest in watching again... when I first heard about it I was looking forward to it (zomk more androids~!), and it wound up being... just... what? It seemed like just a series of generic fightscenes with nothing interesting in it at all. (visuals do not make a movie for me.). The beginning was kind of interesting (before the fighting really got started), but too way-the-heck out there for me to care much.
I was kind of afraid that's what movie10 would be, but I was pleasantly surprised. Broli in Movie10 isn't immensely interesting on his own... but I wasn't really in it for Broli.
(I don't like the dub soundtrack for movie8. -.-. Or movie9.. or 4... Yeah, it makes those movies all feel like music videos of random violence that attempt to throw in plot. I still kinda found 4 and 8 interesting besides that, but I just don't feel like sitting though that mega-gritty "Grr" atmosphere... and despite the fact that my opinion of movie10 is based on my limited understanding of the Japanese dialogue, my inability to read subtitles leaves me apprehensive about tracking down a bilingual version of something I've already seen... :(. ).

Umm... and Bio Broli made the "top ten most embarassing defeats" list in GT:Revised's filler chapter. :)
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:25 am

I actually really enjoy the character interactions in movie 11, I love the Mr. Satan and No. 18 duo, and Trunks, Goten and Kuririn were just the icing on the cake.

..Too bad they took a villain I already disliked and made him even more ridiculous and boring.

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:18 am

Captain Awesome wrote:I actually really enjoy the character interactions in movie 11, I love the Mr. Satan and No. 18 duo, and Trunks, Goten and Kuririn were just the icing on the cake.

..Too bad they took a villain I already disliked and made him even more ridiculous and boring.

Agreed, I really love that those characters (especially 18) get more time to shine. Unfortunately the battle didn't go exactly as I would have wanted it to. (More 18 and Krillin fighting would have been nice.) And yeah, Broly was way overdone by that point. Clever way to bring him back though.
Trans rights, now!

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:22 am

I disagree.

I think cloning is pretty much bottom of the barrel as far as originality goes when you're trying to bring a dead character back.

They should have just left it unexplained like the second Broli movie.

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:25 am

Captain Awesome wrote:I disagree.

I think cloning is pretty much bottom of the barrel as far as originality goes when you're trying to bring a dead character back.

They should have just left it unexplained like the second Broli movie.

Well, maybe it's not original, but I guess I enjoyed the more science-type explanation. I just like that setting I guess...in the same way that I liked the feel of movie 2.
Trans rights, now!

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:30 am

Yeah, I see where you're coming from.

But I don't see why it had to be a Broli film, it would probably have sucked less if it was just "Super swamp thing"

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:44 am

haha They did make a mess out of his character design. You're right though, they should have just made it a movie about the bio-warriors and left Broly out of it.
Trans rights, now!

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:46 pm

SonEric84 wrote:haha They did make a mess out of his character design. You're right though, they should have just made it a movie about the bio-warriors and left Broly out of it.
That's actually a really good idea. Ramp up the power scale on the bio-warriors and make them a little less generic and you've got a completely new villain in the dragonball story.
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:15 pm

I only like movie 8 Brolly when he had depth and character. Getting smacked around in movie 8 gave him horrific brain damage for his movie 10 return. :? At least in the first movie there was more to him than "Kakarotto!" every five seconds.

Which is why it's always movie 8 Brolly I work with in fanfics.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

DBZGokuSaiyan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DBZGokuSaiyan » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:53 pm

Xyex wrote:I only like movie 8 Brolly when he had depth and character. Getting smacked around in movie 8 gave him horrific brain damage for his movie 10 return. :? At least in the first movie there was more to him than "Kakarotto!" every five seconds.

Which is why it's always movie 8 Brolly I work with in fanfics.
Not to mention that he was a scary, yet awesome character in Movie 8... In Movie 10, he seemed more focused on being a brainless "killing machine", if you will, rather than actually speaking full sentences, like in Movie 8, but his uncontrollable laughter in Movie 10 was just.... ugh... and then in Movie 11, HELLOOOO SWAMP THING!!! -_- But nonetheless, Broly is still a very awesome villain... although the reason why he hates Goku so much is still strange... o_O