What's your most recent Dragonball purchase?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:34 pm

Velasa wrote:Where would be a good place to pick up individual ones besides ebay?
Keep an eye out for them at conventions, I guess. I picked up like a half-dozen different figures at Otakon.
Dragon Ball ended in 1997.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:16 pm

I got the VIZ translation of Daizenshuu 1 in the mail today! Woohoo!

I also got Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Season 6 on DVD in the same order.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:52 pm

In other news, I myself finally just purchased the Viz translation of Daizenshuu 1. :D
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:39 pm

Yesterday, I caved and picked up DBZ VizBig volume 2. Yeah, not all the color pages are included, but volumes 4-6 of the tankobon were never censored at all by Viz, so basically, this release is the best version of volumes 4-6 that have been released in English.

I suppose I plan on getting the remaining VizBigs. I'm not entirely satisfied with them, but since Viz's newest prints of the Tankobon (which are just as censored as the Vizbigs) have almost entirely replaced the original unedited releases in stores, it's easier to just buy the VizBigs than to try tracking the unedited prints down. Plus, the better print quality and some color pages make this a better release than the tankobon volumes, in my mind. There's nothing in the original volumes that the VizBigs don't have, anyway.

I have no doubts in my mind that one day, Viz'll release an unedited version of the manga, but I know it won't happen anytime soon. In all honesty, I just want to experience the manga that started it all, and I know every edit made to the material by Viz (plus, in all honesty, the edits aren't quite as bad or numerous as everybody makes them out to be), so I'm knowledgeable enough to enjoy these releases. When Viz finally does wise up and release the material unedited, I'll be more than happy to rebuy the manga.

My nest purchases will be Dragon Ball VizBig volume two and the movies 3/4 double feature, both coming out on the 16th of this month.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:40 pm

Season 5 and the Movie 1 & 2 Double Feature.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:51 pm

Just won the Movies 1&2 double feature on Ebay.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

SuperSaiyan3Goku
Advanced Regular
Location: In the middle of nowhere, across from Planet Vegeta

Post by SuperSaiyan3Goku » Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:13 pm

Well, since the "Show Off Your Dragonball Crap" is dead, I got the Super Survivor CD not too long ago, and I love it! 8)
Next quest: Start collecting Dragon Ball Super Blu-Rays whenever season sets get released. Also the Super Manga!

Fan of Dragon Ball Z and various other Anime since '98! ^^

List of Anime I own or have watched - http://myanimelist.net/animelist/SSJ3Goku

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:26 pm

MagicBox wrote:<Buncha stuff 'bout them there VizBigs>
Yeah, I've begun to think this might be my best option as well. I've said it before, but the lack of color is what put me off to buying more of them. When the color portion of Goku vs Vegeta at the end of DBZ 1 was omitted, that was the straw that broke the camel's back.

But I don't think there's any better option at this point. It's either buy through all the original volumes and get no color, or buy the VizBigs and get an overall far better product with some color. After all, if I want certain color chapters I can take what opportunities I can to get the corresponding Kanzenban, like I just did by nabbing Vol 16 at Otakon. As for color illustrations and chapter title pages, well, I've got my Complete Illustrations book for that now.

So I'll probably take the better route, even if it's not fully what I wanted. I really want to own and have to read the entire manga. These "Collector's Editions" aren't looking like they're going to go any further than the first volume (If ALL the color is truly retained, I may pick up the first DB one anyway, since there was a LOT more color missing from the first DB VizBig than the DBZ one), so they're probably a no-go. But if Viz suddenly starts releasing English Kanzenban all of a sudden, then I'm gonna be pissed. :twisted:
Dragon Ball ended in 1997.

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:37 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:But if Viz suddenly starts releasing English Kanzenban all of a sudden, then I'm gonna be pissed. :twisted:
That's my biggest fear as well. Actually, I'm pretty daggum' sure that's what's going to happen, if my luck with this franchise is any indication. I held off on buying the DBZ single discs for seven years, and then, when I finally just said "screw it" and started buying them, BAM, they're discontinued and replaced with the cropped sets, making 40 episodes unavailable should I choose to continue with my latest investment.

I just know that if I buy all the VizBigs, I'll be punished for it. Very few American DragonBall fans who commit to something aren't.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:35 pm

I've been uncertain about the Vizbig editions for some time now, to the point that I owned three of them, and hadn't read through a single one, now that I've knocked the first DB Vizbig over, I must say I'm quite happy, they aren't perfect by any means, but the print quality and price is the clincher for me at the end of the day.

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:45 pm

Dragonball Z: Second Coming. Which completes all my Broly movies, and takes my DBZ movie count to 10.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

omegacwa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omegacwa » Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:06 pm

I haven't been to an Anime Convention in years. The last one I went to was Anime Next a couple years ago, and I don't recall them having anything Dragon Ball related, so I pretty much gave up.

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:26 pm

Orange brick Season 1.
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:59 am

Picked these up at KumoriCon last weekend:

Shenlong plushie, figures of Super Saiyan Gokuu, Vegeta, and Trunks, and a set of miniature figure charms. Sad thing is, I bought all of these at the same booth....no one else seemed to have much Dragonball stuff (though I saw some of the Neo Super Items somewhere, but not the complete set).
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:02 am

sailorspazz wrote:Picked these up at KumoriCon last weekend:

*Snip*

Shenlong plushie, figures of Super Saiyan Gokuu, Vegeta, and Trunks, and a set of miniature figure charms. Sad thing is, I bought all of these at the same booth....no one else seemed to have much Dragonball stuff (though I saw some of the Neo Super Items somewhere, but not the complete set).
Those are some awesome looking figures! How much did they cost and which company produced them, and could you take a closer picture of them?!

Super Ghost Kamikaze

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:54 am

sailorspazz wrote:Picked these up at KumoriCon last weekend:

*snip*

Wow, that Shenlong plush is amazing!

I want one. Or five.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:05 am

I've never seen a Shenlong plushie before; that is so cute!

Also like the shading on the Goku, Vegeta, and Mirai Trunks figures.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Snail

Post by Snail » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:25 pm

What company released those figures of Goku, Trunks, and Vegeta?

omegacwa

Post by omegacwa » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:46 pm

http://www.toywiz.com/shenrondragonplush.html
It's not the same but similar.

My guess is bandai on those awesome looking figures because this looks similar.
http://www.toywiz.com/dbzanimatedssvegeta.html

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:29 pm

As requested, here's a close up shot of the figures:

They were made by Banpresto. Click here to find a page on their site showing the figures (there's another Gokuu in the set, as well, which I didn't pick up....if it were a second Vegeta, on the other hand, I definitely would have got it :wink: )

The figures were $13 each at the booth I bought them from; con prices are usually a bit higher than what you'll find online, though (but then you have to pay shipping, usually). I just looked at Hobby Link Japan and found that there are more figures in this line, such as Vegetto, and they're selling for ¥900.
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube