The DBZ Jump Anime Tour Special (Now Streaming!)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:58 pm

Big Momma wrote:I am over 90.00% sure that there will be some kind of footage leaked taken with a camera phone or some kind of digital recorder.
I see what you did there.

Anyway, I doubt that'll be necessary. "Protection" or not, things are ALWAYS snaggable by people with the right skills. There'll be fansubs available by December.
Dragon Ball ended in 1997.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:04 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:I see what you did there.
I have no idea what you're talking about ;-)

I asked this earlier, but I don't think anyone answered. If this special isn't released in Japan on DVD because of the streaming, will that affect any chances of an American DVD release?
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:23 pm

Well, if Toei for some reason didn't want the movie to be released on DVD, sure. But again, what does streaming in online have to do with a DVD release?

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:27 pm

Big Momma wrote:I asked this earlier, but I don't think anyone answered. If this special isn't released in Japan on DVD because of the streaming, will that affect any chances of an American DVD release?
Under some circumstances, yes. Japan let FUNi release all three anime and the movies loooooong before they did, so it doesn't seem like other countries releasing them when they won't/won't yet release them is a factor for Toei.

Now since digital copies and transfers via the web are so common these days regarding copyrighted footage I wouldn't be too surprised if Toei does let FUNi release the special on DVD but doesn't let them release it with the Japanese audio track.

DragonbaIlZ

Post by DragonbaIlZ » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:04 am

I'd rather it be cel animated just for the fact that's how Dragonball was originally animated. I'm just worried if it's digitally animated, it'll look kinda weird for DB. Either way, i'm ready for the 24th!

backthen
Beyond Newbie

Post by backthen » Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:48 pm

DragonbaIlZ wrote:I'd rather it be cel animated just for the fact that's how Dragonball was originally animated. I'm just worried if it's digitally animated, it'll look kinda weird for DB. Either way, i'm ready for the 24th!
Picture Budokai 2 & 3 intros

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:53 pm

DragonbaIlZ wrote:I'd rather it be cel animated just for the fact that's how Dragonball was originally animated. I'm just worried if it's digitally animated, it'll look kinda weird for DB. Either way, i'm ready for the 24th!
I too have wished it had been cel animated from the bginning (and for similar reasons), but it wasn't. It's not totally bad, I really liked the look of the Budokai intros and there are lots of other pros to digital animation.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:53 am

backthen wrote:
Picture Budokai 2 & 3 intros
Any fear I shared with DragonbaI|Z just vanished. :D
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:34 am

The majority of the complaints people have with digital animation are completely baseless, because they have nothing to do with the process itself and everything to do with the time and effort the animation studio puts in.

It's similar to records vs. cd's it's fine if you prefer the way a record sounds, and the way it's packaged to that of a cd, thats fine, but that doesn't stop it from being an inferior process to record music.

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:06 pm

FUNi needs to cash in on this.

...in widescreen. :oops:

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:07 pm

Castor Troy wrote:FUNi needs to cash in on this.

It might already be... it is being shown in theaters right?
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

Vegard Aune
Advanced Regular

Post by Vegard Aune » Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:48 pm

bkev wrote:
Castor Troy wrote:FUNi needs to cash in on this.

It might already be... it is being shown in theaters right?
I think so... Besides, their more recent anime (at least One Piece) are made in widescreen now, so I assume that this special is in widescreen too.

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:31 pm

Watch us get it in 4:3. Pan & Scan.
:p
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:18 pm

bkev wrote:Watch us get it in 4:3. Pan & Scan.
Or even worse, a cropping 16:9 format on top of 4:3 pan-and-scanned masters Toei gives them. >>
14 years later

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:19 pm

Conan the SSJ wrote:
bkev wrote:Watch us get it in 4:3. Pan & Scan.
Or even worse, a cropping 16:9 format on top of 4:3 pan-and-scanned masters Toei gives them. >>
I think you're forgetting that's the way it was MEANT to be seen.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:57 pm

I dont' know if this is common knowledge, but it seems TOEi has romanized the name as Tarble. http://www.jumpland.com/animetour/db/db_en_chara15.html

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:00 pm

Which means that FUNimation will "translate" (read: mutilate) it into something dumb a la Tullece. I dunno-- somehow I just don't see them sticking to the pun on this one.

~Da Lemmy
Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:10 am

Hebert tells me via AIM that he hasn't dubbed the special so assume it'll be a raw or subbed.
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:29 am

I would have been more than just mildly shocked if it turned out FUNimation had done any dubbing with this special so soon after its initial release in Japan.

~Da Lemmy
Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:06 pm

JulieYBM wrote:Hebert tells me via AIM that he hasn't dubbed the special so assume it'll be a raw or subbed.
He puts up his AIM? Poor guy must have so many stalkers...