Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 93

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:00 pm

dbgtFO wrote:
Yomi wrote: Anyone noticed this in the preview.
Nope, what is its significance to you?
The only thing I could think of was James Bond.
It's called an impact frame.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:42 pm

-Episode 100-

There were some parts I didn't like about the direction of this episode:

- Cabba kicks off two guys from his right and left side and both go out in the same direction?!
- The transition of Kale eliminating Vuon to Zeno was weird.

Other than that, I liked it. The action was solid and I had no problems with the art.

Otsuka Ken is coming next week and with that, one of my wishes for the Tournament is about to be fulfilled.
Last edited by FortuneSSJ on Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Nasryyy
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nasryyy » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:58 pm

Yomi wrote:
dbgtFO wrote:
Yomi wrote: Anyone noticed this in the preview.
Nope, what is its significance to you?
The only thing I could think of was James Bond.
Just a nice frame. They're a bit rare in super (unfortunately).
we got a lot of those in this arc actually

BakaManiaHD
Beyond Newbie

Post by BakaManiaHD » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:12 pm

Yomi wrote:[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Anyone noticed this in the preview.
too bad this impact frame so discreet, it is well detailed
kill me

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:24 pm

JazzMazz wrote:EDIT: Not completely unsurprisingly, the Goku vs Kale fight was removed from the Booru.
I was surprised, and actually annoyed, so I asked to have it put back up. It is absolutely good enough to be on the site.

Thankfully, it's now been reinstated.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:25 pm

Ajay wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:EDIT: Not completely unsurprisingly, the Goku vs Kale fight was removed from the Booru.
I was surprised, and actually annoyed, so I asked to have it put back up. It is absolutely good enough to be on the site.

Thankfully, it is now back up.
Ajay, the hero we need and deserve.

cuartas
Beyond Newbie

Post by cuartas » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:39 pm

I'm honestly dissapointed with yashima, this was the episode he had more time ever, and delivered basically the same quality.
it's confirmed he doesn't draw goku face and his hair like that because there's no time, he does it because yes, it is his art style.
Just like tate, both gokus are awfully drawn, but yashima is significantly worse, and at least tate has tried to make nice and on model shots that aren't corrected sometimes.

The thing that annoyed me the most was the scene where goku said hi to jiren and hit, with yashima art, and 2 secs later we saw an onmodel goku walking towards jiren, that remainded me that simpsons episode where homer was filming a superhero movie, and the editors had to make an scene between buffed and fat homer, I felt the same here, it's shamelessly noticiable, yashima definitely breaks the consistency and the good work of other good animators in the same episode, this is a potential ebisawa and kan'no case.

On the bright side, I kinda liked caulifla vs goku fight where they teleported to dodge the, that brought me Z vibes, unfortunatelly the art and body poses didn't help at all

Nasryyy
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nasryyy » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:54 pm

cuartas wrote:I'm honestly dissapointed with yashima, this was the episode he had more time ever, and delivered basically the same quality.
it's confirmed he doesn't draw goku face and his hair like that because there's no time, he does it because yes, it is his art style.
Just like tate, both gokus are awfully drawn, but yashima is significantly worse, and at least tate has tried to make nice and on model shots that aren't corrected sometimes.

The thing that annoyed me the most was the scene where goku said hi to jiren and hit, with yashima art, and 2 secs later we saw an onmodel goku walking towards jiren, that remainded me that simpsons episode where homer was filming a superhero movie, and the editors had to make an scene between buffed and fat homer, I felt the same here, it's shamelessly noticiable, yashima definitely breaks the consistency and the good work of other good animators in the same episode, this is a potential ebisawa and kan'no case.

On the bright side, I kinda liked caulifla vs goku fight where they teleported to dodge the, that brought me Z vibes, unfortunatelly the art and body poses didn't help at all
:shock: :shock: :shock: you do know that yashima solo animates his episodes, and going by the schedule of super he is doing an amazing job, sure his art is not great but his animation is decent, i guess someone else will explain it to you better but yashima is a must in this series

cuartas
Beyond Newbie

Post by cuartas » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:08 pm

Nasryyy wrote:
cuartas wrote:I'm honestly dissapointed with yashima, this was the episode he had more time ever, and delivered basically the same quality.

:shock: :shock: :shock: you do know that yashima solo animates his episodes, and going by the schedule of super he is doing an amazing job, sure his art is not great but his animation is decent, i guess someone else will explain it to you better but yashima is a must in this series
:wtf: :wtf: Why do you talk like I'm new on this forum? I know perfectly yashima solo episodes, but also, I know he usualy had a maximum of 6-7 weeks to animate an episode, he got 9 this time and the difference was 0 on his part, read carefully, his part, his art, his contribution on the animation, not the others on the same episode.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:49 pm

cuartas wrote: :wtf: :wtf: Why do you talk like I'm new on this forum? I know perfectly yashima solo episodes, but also, I know he usualy had a maximum of 6-7 weeks to animate an episode, he got 9 this time and the difference was 0 on his part, read carefully, his part, his art, his contribution on the animation, not the others on the same episode.
Who's to say he spent all 9 of those weeks working on this episode? Maybe he finished the episode a few weeks ago and started working on his next episode to get ahead of schedule, or started doing cuts for the episodes following 100.
Anyways, I'd say he's definitely better than Ebisawa at this point, but below Uchiyama, if he can work on the way he draws hair, noses and the coniststency of his feature placement and eyes then I think he'll have a totally acceptable style, all things considered, and probably be better than Uchiyama was.
I did some rough edits to show how he could improve his style without massively changing how he draws.

[spoiler]Yashima
Edit

Yashima
Edit
Image[/spoiler]
One thing I noticed in this episode is that his Vegeta is starting to look a lot better than it used to.

Also, as a side note, I think Nikaido did more than the Berserk Kale fight, there are a few action cuts in the first half that move in a pretty un-Yashima way.

cuartas
Beyond Newbie

Post by cuartas » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:55 pm

ArchedThunder wrote: Who's to say he spent all 9 of those weeks working on this episode? Maybe he finished the episode a few weeks ago and started working on his next episode to get ahead of schedule, or started doing cuts for the episodes following 100.
Idk if you should use that logic, because I could say the same happened in the 6-7 weeks episodes too, and indeed it happened, especially in the black saga, so I don't really know if that serves as a justification.

I think, your edits needs more than the nose, the eyes, the lines under the eyes, the hair shape too, If I have time I'm gonna make a rough but deeper edit too, because I'm busy building a website right now

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:04 pm

I think Yashima is not going to change his approach because of the part he plays for the staff. He is there to buy time and he does just that by almost soloing his episodes. How the episode looks depends on how much correction there was. That being said, I am not a fan of his style either. It just looks so...rough.

PMD
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PMD » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:32 am

The guy can make an action packed episode almost by himself and people's still bitching for a couple of rough drawings. C'mon, I want to see a better job from those criticizing. Yashima is a beast. The guy delivered.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:15 am

ArchedThunder wrote:
Also, as a side note, I think Nikaido did more than the Berserk Kale fight, there are a few action cuts in the first half that move in a pretty un-Yashima way.
Yeah, he did. I noticed it when I was watching it for second time last night. I hope he has a chance to do a huge scene later in the tournament. I feel like him going all out would be pretty fantastic.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:57 am

Ajay wrote:
ArchedThunder wrote:
Yeah, he did. I noticed it when I was watching it for second time last night. I hope he has a chance to do a huge scene later in the tournament. I feel like him going all out would be pretty fantastic.
What parts do you think Nikaido did in the first-half? I'm pretty confident he at least did that Yardrat scene, as well as Goku's SS2 transformation(though the latter is probably just corrections).
Ajay wrote:

Thankfully, it's now been reinstated.
Also, thanks for that, I was a little disappointed when it was initally removed.

Timetraveller
Beyond Newbie

Post by Timetraveller » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:09 am

Anyone know if Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru is still working on Super? I don't know much about animation but looking at his past work in the series, he looks to be an extremely talented animator. His character art style really captures the essence of DBZ imo. Really close to early DBZ Toriyama without the shading that makes DBS characters look all shiny and plasticy. I heard he was responsible for Super Saiyan 4 which was my favorite form in the show.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:38 am

Timetraveller wrote:Anyone know if Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru is still working on Super? I don't know much about animation but looking at his past work in the series, he looks to be an extremely talented animator. His character art style really captures the essence of DBZ imo. Really close to early DBZ Toriyama without the shading that makes DBS characters look all shiny and plasticy. I heard he was responsible for Super Saiyan 4 which was my favorite form in the show.
No, he might be doing promotional material in the future, but I am confident his had no part in Super production past episode one.

Though Nakasturu did use the highlights, he used them far more tastefully in his designs than Yamamuro did.

aaronWgamer
Not-So-Newbie

Post by aaronWgamer » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:54 am

PMD wrote:The guy can make an action packed episode almost by himself and people's still bitching for a couple of rough drawings. C'mon, I want to see a better job from those criticizing. Yashima is a beast. The guy delivered.
I've been a big Yashima defender in the past but let's be fair. His style is generally seen as ugly and his animation isn't fantastic. He's definitely an important part of Super's staff due to his impressive working pace and ability to actually animate consistently given the show's schedule but still, he has his downfalls and criticism is natural in light of them. I'd say this episode was the most we've seen his style throughout this much in a while but perhaps that's my expectations for the tournament deceiving me.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:24 am

JazzMazz wrote:
What parts do you think Nikaido did in the first-half? I'm pretty confident he at least did that Yardrat scene, as well as Goku's SS2 transformation(though the latter is probably just corrections).
The stuff that looks like it might have been him to me was Kale getting attacked by those two U10 guys and Cualifla beating down the weird red dude from U10.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:24 pm

Apart from some ugly shots, by the NEP I think #'101 will probably be a little better than we got.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?