What do you hope not to see in Dragon Ball Super?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sintzu
Banned

Re: What do you hope not to see in Dragon Ball Super?

Post by sintzu » Mon May 25, 2015 7:26 pm

KameRule wrote:I would still rather watch characters develop their skills in base SSJ
I want to see that as well but after 2 arcs I think it'll be OK to introduce a new form which should be SsjgSsj3.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Mon May 25, 2015 7:29 pm

SingleFringe&Sparks wrote: Goku is boring now though, they don't do anything new with him at all. His fights are all the same these days too, and his happy-go-lucky nature with deus-ex plot-shield, is starting to bug me. It feels so dated and genericized now. I dont want him written out of the show, I just dont want him always in the spotlight if hes always going to be on the same format. Hes given more importance than he deserves at this point more so in fights, as if nothing can be done unless he finishes it and its always the same routine. Give me Energy or Kamehameha full power!!!!!!!!. :yawn:
:!:

Toriyama wrote Goku into corner. First he stopped his developement half-way through Z and then made him regress to the point he's nothing but training and eating dummy. His status in the show at this stage is kept only because he gets all the new power-ups/transformations handed to him and because of time passing.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon May 25, 2015 7:38 pm

Basaku wrote:
SingleFringe&Sparks wrote: Goku is boring now though, they don't do anything new with him at all. His fights are all the same these days too, and his happy-go-lucky nature with deus-ex plot-shield, is starting to bug me. It feels so dated and genericized now. I dont want him written out of the show, I just dont want him always in the spotlight if hes always going to be on the same format. Hes given more importance than he deserves at this point more so in fights, as if nothing can be done unless he finishes it and its always the same routine. Give me Energy or Kamehameha full power!!!!!!!!. :yawn:
:!:

Toriyama wrote Goku into corner. First he stopped his developement half-way through Z and then made him regress to the point he's nothing but training and eating dummy. His status in the show at this stage is kept only because he gets all the new power-ups/transformations handed to him and because of time passing.
Well... Goku was pretty much always a training and eating dummy. The only development he got in character throughout the manga was that he became somewhat merciful towards his opponents.

Kakarotto92
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kakarotto92 » Mon May 25, 2015 8:13 pm

Tarble's existence being acknowledged.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Mon May 25, 2015 8:21 pm

SingleFringe&Sparks wrote:Goku is boring now though, they don't do anything new with him at all. His fights are all the same these days too, and his happy-go-lucky nature with deus-ex plot-shield, is starting to bug me. It feels so dated and genericized now.
That's kind of the problem with a character too stupid for self-reflection.

Retan
Advanced Regular

Post by Retan » Tue May 26, 2015 11:47 pm

Short fights that don't feel at all interesting.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed May 27, 2015 5:37 am

Kakarotto92 wrote:Tarble's existence being acknowledged.
It was in BOG.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Wed May 27, 2015 4:52 pm

SingleFringe&Sparks wrote:Goku is boring now though, they don't do anything new with him at all. His fights are all the same these days too, and his happy-go-lucky nature with deus-ex plot-shield, is starting to bug me. It feels so dated and genericized now. I dont want him written out of the show, I just dont want him always in the spotlight if hes always going to be on the same format. Hes given more importance than he deserves at this point more so in fights, as if nothing can be done unless he finishes it and its always the same routine. Give me Energy or Kamehameha full power!!!!!!!!. :yawn:
Pretty much how I expect Super to be. Super is probably gonna just be a better version of Dragon Ball GT. Better action, better characters, better interactions, better logic, etc. Character wise though....everyone beyond the main 4 will be essentially the GT Trunks and Pan of the show. People who may join Goku, but are absolutely useless compared to Goku. I also see Goku being the strongest again and making everyone useless. Vegeta will be useful, but will probably fall again as time goes on. I really hope this will not be the case, but it's very likely since they widened the gap so much with the new movies now.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Fri May 29, 2015 9:46 pm

Imagine that Super's premiere day is here. You're watching it, you like the new opening theme song and all. The first episode starts, and it's literally the same story as GT. The animation even looks suspiciously familiar. Holy shit, this is just GT, but with remastered footage, ala Kai.

Super turns out to just be Kai-ified GT. But wait.

Goku goes Super Saiyan for the first time, and his hair turns blue.

Super turns out to be Kai-ified GT, but with Goku and Vegeta's hair color changed to be more consistent with the new movies.

---

I think this scenario is legitimately the only thing I actively do not want to see in Super. I'd still probably die of laughter if it happened.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Fri May 29, 2015 9:48 pm

Zephyr wrote:Imagine that Super's premiere day is here. You're watching it, you like the new opening theme song and all. The first episode starts, and it's literally the same story as GT. The animation even looks suspiciously familiar. Holy shit, this is just GT, but with remastered footage, ala Kai.

Super turns out to be Kai-ified GT, but with Goku and Vegeta's hair color changed to be more consistent with the new movies.
That would be fucking beautiful.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Fri May 29, 2015 9:49 pm

Rocketman wrote:
Zephyr wrote:Imagine that Super's premiere day is here. You're watching it, you like the new opening theme song and all. The first episode starts, and it's literally the same story as GT. The animation even looks suspiciously familiar. Holy shit, this is just GT, but with remastered footage, ala Kai.

That would be fucking beautiful.
Yeah, what would people have against GT gotten rid of everything they had to complain about?
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri May 29, 2015 10:09 pm

If that happened, I would have to be admitted to a hospital for having an aneurysm from laughing too hard.

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Fri May 29, 2015 10:11 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: If that happened, I would have to be admitted to a hospital for having an aneurysm from laughing too hard.
My inner fan is screaming in pain at mere thought. My inner troll is thinking "Do it Toei!" The meltdowns will be worth it :twisted:

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat May 30, 2015 6:08 am

I don't want Goku to regress AGAIN. Or him to ignore his lessons in favour of some forced character development that will just be taken away from him some time in the future just to repeat the same thing all over again. Let him actually learn and develop, damn it.

The Monkey King
Advanced Regular

Post by The Monkey King » Sat May 30, 2015 8:02 am

I swear if in this show Goten and Trunks still have their Buu saga look and stature I might just stop watching it.
Trunks (and in turn Goten) should be about this size now:
I mean yeah Toei you're bringing back Dragon Ball, but if you're not going to take it seriously and play it safe with overly familiar character designs then don't bother.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat May 30, 2015 1:27 pm

I'm surprise no one brought up more creations by Dr. Gero. I don't think we need any more androids/cyborgs from Dr. Gero. In the past, we had #13-15 and Super 17. I think that's enough for me.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

SingleFringe&Sparks

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Sat May 30, 2015 6:13 pm

Basaku wrote:Toriyama wrote Goku into corner. First he stopped his developement half-way through Z and then made him regress to the point he's nothing but training and eating dummy. His status in the show at this stage is kept only because he gets all the new power-ups/transformations handed to him and because of time passing.
The ending really put me over the edge with the series' new status quo for Goku.

Not to mention Freeza and anyone who ever looks like him (Chilled) is somewhat stuck in that box as well with his Flanderization, his motivations and impulsiveness are solely set on the simplest perception of superficial revenge. There is never any ulterior goals for him to want beyond just wanting to do the impossible; and beat Goku himself. He could very well win if he thought of the bigger] picture for himself. A good villain thinks up new plans to try or sets up bigger impasses for his enemies. Freeza doesnt seem to care anymore. Nor does Toriyama is the show now is just "Big power > Small Power" and nothing else.
dbzfan7 wrote:Pretty much how I expect Super to be. Super is probably gonna just be a better version of Dragon Ball GT. Better action, better characters, better interactions, better logic, etc. Character wise though....everyone beyond the main 4 will be essentially the GT Trunks and Pan of the show. People who may join Goku, but are absolutely useless compared to Goku. I also see Goku being the strongest again and making everyone useless. Vegeta will be useful, but will probably fall again as time goes on. I really hope this will not be the case, but it's very likely since they widened the gap so much with the new movies now.
Judging from FnF, there is no reason to assume that the plotlines would hold any more weight to them at all, nor do I see Super having any storylines better concieved than GT's in any comparison honestly. Toriyama never writes anything to tie in or expand on anything interesting but just sets characters up in 4 corners of he the plot and just watches them run at each other until they collide then we take it from there. If by any chance Goku should lose. he'll get some power up out of no where, covered up by the "genius card" and beat the enemy in some usual yet still farfetched inplausibility.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

JSnively03

Post by JSnively03 » Sat May 30, 2015 9:55 pm

A good question. Dragon Ball Super is taking place after Resurrection F, it'd be interesting to see Goku training with Whis. Plus, the new enemies.

I want Gohan to start training again.
Joshua

andr1y7

Post by andr1y7 » Sun May 31, 2015 5:33 am

Please, PLEASE, no more retcons.

Makai
Beyond Newbie

Post by Makai » Sun May 31, 2015 10:31 am

Really not interested in seeing any other universes in this series, as some others are hoping for. For what? Just to find stronger opponents? Cause other than that, different universes don't really have anything to do with each other. Plus they've barely explored their own universe, rather them do that first than just going to an entirely different one. Plus I feel It'll be too much like the whole space thing in GT.