Does my boy Gohan have to beat Toppo in order to be "redeemed" and live up to the hype of this arc?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Brettjr25
Beyond Newbie

Re: Does my boy Gohan have to beat Toppo in order to be "redeemed" and live up to the hype of this arc?

Post by Brettjr25 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:57 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote:
Because the plot demanded it.

That's it.
That's the only explanation you have? Oh my Zamasu, Gohan truly is a miserable character then.
Could you now explain to me how 16 and Gohan are friends depite only ever having one real interaction with one another and not knowing or caring about each other before said moment?
Quit with the nitpicking, please. My point is still correct. There are has been no event so far in the Tournament of Power that has shattered Gohan on a personal level. And don't mention Obuni, because Gohan 'mourned' his family for two seconds, he clearly wasn't shocked by it. Whereas he was actually shocked and devastated by the death of Android 16, because they might have not been friends, but their standpoints were quite similiar; 16's sentimental speech obviously motivated Gohan a lot, but the fact he also had to witness 16 blow up and get crushed in front of his very eyes obviously pushed him beyond his limits, since it was a gruesome scene. And also because he had just been watching his worthless friends get tortured by a bunch of Cell Jrs.

But let's not add stupid power-ups just because Gohan fans cling to a remote past. Gohan played a pivotal role in the erasure of Universe 6 and 10, and in the final battle against Universe 11. He came in 7th place in a tournament comprised of 80 fighters. That's more than Tien, Krillin, Roshi, Piccolo. and 18 have accomplished.
Just a quick correction or interpretation of that cell game moment. It seems a lot of people still misunderstand it. Gohan always had a far greater power within in him. Goku sensed it and figured Gohan would come through with a win against Cell thats why he was so calm during the build up even though he figured Cell was more powerful than him and this is why he volunteered Gohan to fight 1v1 vs Cell. But piccolo explains to Goku that Gohan doesnt operate like him, the fight doesnt excite him enough to want to break his limits instead he was most likely wondering why it was more important to his father to play by Cell rules instead of help him. Gohan was never "shattered", 16 speech was literally him just telling him its okay to let lose and be anger to want to protect the world and nature he loved, something that must've be hard for a very repressed kind character like Gohan to do, which has been apart of his storyline since his introduction. Unfortunately 16 is crushed as he gives this speech so people tend to overlook what 16 actually said and assume it was a goku ss1 moment of someone who died (gohan didnt even know 16).

Also I dont get this anger toward Gohan supporters who are disappointed in his showing in Super. It seems natural since Gohan was pretty much the main character in the second portion of Dragon ball (Z) only to be shoved aside for a Goku x Vegeta buddy cop tale.

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Re: Does my boy Gohan have to beat Toppo in order to be "redeemed" and live up to the hype of this arc?

Post by Jackalope89 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:14 pm

Somehow, I don't think Gohan would have fared very well against Toppo.

Swarna

Post by Swarna » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:37 pm

Gohan doesn't need this crap show anymore. He's top tier in FighterZ, arguably the best, and definitely the best if you spend full 7 bars on his ultimate power-up.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:45 pm

If Freeza is anything to go by then Gohan would've been killed. It's now in Vegeta's hands. 8)
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:48 pm

sintzu wrote:If Freeza is anything to go by then Gohan would've been killed. It's now in Vegeta's hands. 8)
Yeah, Gohan really dodged a bullet on this one! :lol:

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:20 am

Jackalope89 wrote:Somehow, I don't think Gohan would have fared very well against Toppo.
Gohan would have been completely bodied, holy crap :lol:
sintzu wrote:If Freeza is anything to go by then Gohan would've been killed. It's now in Vegeta's hands. 8)
Ayeeeeeeeeee :thumbup:

shadd21
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by shadd21 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:38 am

Swarna wrote:Gohan doesn't need this crap show anymore. He's top tier in FighterZ, arguably the best, and definitely the best if you spend full 7 bars on his ultimate power-up.
Calls Super a "crap show", makes comparison to FighterZ, i'm guessing your one of those people who've recently gotten into the series because of the game.
Last edited by shadd21 on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

Diggz92

Post by Diggz92 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:42 am

They would have to give him a power up at that point even if it was a temp rage boost

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:01 am

Not even Vegeta can handle that..
My guess would be he charges straight into a hakai and rings out Toppo while he is getting erased..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:16 am

Ki Breaker wrote:
My guess would be he charges straight into a hakai and rings out Toppo while he is getting erased..
He might get some protection due to his Ki but the main thing will be getting him out of the ring, at any cost.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:18 am

sintzu wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote:
He might get some protection due to his Ki but the main thing will be getting him out of the ring, at any cost.
Vegeta can do that, when push comes to shove he isn't afraid to die if that means he can take down his opponent with him
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:21 am

Ki Breaker wrote:
sintzu wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote: Not even Vegeta can handle that..
Vegeta can do that, when push comes to shove he isn't afraid to die if that means he can take down his opponent with him
And at this point, if it means ensuring Bulma, Trunks, and Bra survive? Most definitely.

Kogu 87
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kogu 87 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:38 pm

We now understand that Toppo was indeed on another level.
Gohan would have been demolished, no question about that.
"Oh dear...."

AloversGaming
Beyond Newbie

Post by AloversGaming » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:57 pm

Swarna wrote:Gohan doesn't need this crap show anymore. He's top tier in FighterZ, arguably the best, and definitely the best if you spend full 7 bars on his ultimate power-up.
You can't make a tier list from a 3 day old fighting game... unless that fighting game is so completely broken and worthless it shouldn't have been released.

--

On topic; Gohan is lucky he got knocked out when he did. I am looking forward to seeing what he does in future arcs should Super return. I hope that Gohan will play a bigger role in future DBS episodes similar to how he was used in Z.

Kanious
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kanious » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:25 pm

i thought that in that game even Cell made fun of Gohan in cutscenes about Gohan being weak.

Big Black Sayian
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Big Black Sayian » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:11 pm

He really did dodge a bullet. Toppo would've the bang off of him.

KingKaash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KingKaash » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:11 pm

Considering Toppo survived fully powered attacks from Android 17 & Golden Frieza, I can say with confidence that Ultimate Gohan would've been crushed by Toppo. As a Gohan fan, I'm glad Gohan didn't last long enough to get annihilated by GoD Toppo
"Gohan, let it go. It is not a sin to fight for the right cause. There are those who words alone will not reach. Cell is such a being. I know how you feel Gohan, you are gentle, you do not like to hurt. I know because I too have learned these feelings. But it is because you cherish life that you must protect it. Please drop your restraints. Protect the life I once loved. You have the strength, my scanners sensed it..." -Android 16

Mac
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mac » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:19 pm

Gohan did perfectly fine, better than I could've hoped. Toppo is way too much though, he made Freeza look like chump and 17 is barely hanging in there.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:53 pm

Brettjr25 wrote:
SupremeKai25 wrote:
Because the plot demanded it.

That's it.
That's the only explanation you have? Oh my Zamasu, Gohan truly is a miserable character then.
Could you now explain to me how 16 and Gohan are friends depite only ever having one real interaction with one another and not knowing or caring about each other before said moment?
Quit with the nitpicking, please. My point is still correct. There are has been no event so far in the Tournament of Power that has shattered Gohan on a personal level. And don't mention Obuni, because Gohan 'mourned' his family for two seconds, he clearly wasn't shocked by it. Whereas he was actually shocked and devastated by the death of Android 16, because they might have not been friends, but their standpoints were quite similiar; 16's sentimental speech obviously motivated Gohan a lot, but the fact he also had to witness 16 blow up and get crushed in front of his very eyes obviously pushed him beyond his limits, since it was a gruesome scene. And also because he had just been watching his worthless friends get tortured by a bunch of Cell Jrs.

But let's not add stupid power-ups just because Gohan fans cling to a remote past. Gohan played a pivotal role in the erasure of Universe 6 and 10, and in the final battle against Universe 11. He came in 7th place in a tournament comprised of 80 fighters. That's more than Tien, Krillin, Roshi, Piccolo. and 18 have accomplished.
Just a quick correction or interpretation of that cell game moment. It seems a lot of people still misunderstand it. Gohan always had a far greater power within in him. Goku sensed it and figured Gohan would come through with a win against Cell thats why he was so calm during the build up even though he figured Cell was more powerful than him and this is why he volunteered Gohan to fight 1v1 vs Cell. But piccolo explains to Goku that Gohan doesnt operate like him, the fight doesnt excite him enough to want to break his limits instead he was most likely wondering why it was more important to his father to play by Cell rules instead of help him. Gohan was never "shattered", 16 speech was literally him just telling him its okay to let lose and be anger to want to protect the world and nature he loved, something that must've be hard for a very repressed kind character like Gohan to do, which has been apart of his storyline since his introduction. Unfortunately 16 is crushed as he gives this speech so people tend to overlook what 16 actually said and assume it was a goku ss1 moment of someone who died (gohan didnt even know 16).

Also I dont get this anger toward Gohan supporters who are disappointed in his showing in Super. It seems natural since Gohan was pretty much the main character in the second portion of Dragon ball (Z) only to be shoved aside for a Goku x Vegeta buddy cop tale.
I think that conversation went off what I was originally commenting on, namely that 16 and Gohan weren't friends since they barely knew each other, and I was grossly oversimplifying things to make a point.

Also, the only time that Gohan really dominated the lime light was early on in the Buu arc with the Great Saiyaman stuff, even in the Cell arc his role was confined mainly to the final battle. Also, it wouldn't be the first time that Gohan has rapidly dropped the spotlight on certain characters in favour of other more interesting character dynamics.

GohanHiddenPowers

Post by GohanHiddenPowers » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:45 pm

Diggz92 wrote:They would have to give him a power up at that point even if it was a temp rage boost
Dragon Ball Super brought back old tropes and things from DB/DBZ (minus the oozaru transformations, or even the tails), and Gohan's rage boosts were always the most powerful, happening in the most impossible situations, against powerful oponents:

[spoiler]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7n0q3ACX88Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2vKGOTi7sI[/spoiler]

And Caba, Vegeta, and other characters had these moments with that "conquering new powers because we need to save something/someone" trope, and Gohan... none. Not even a litle. Gohan could help to do something against someone like Toppo, even if he is not trained to do something bigger, like defeat an oponent like this alone, for now, like when he fought Cell and Buu. But he could have done something better than eliminating himself with Dyspo (someone who will be a nobody, that no one will remember, after some good years). He deserved something more memorable.