Funimation's "Faux-"Remastered Season 5 Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ETC123
Banned

Post by ETC123 » Sat May 24, 2008 10:19 pm

It would be somewhat awkward calling him Son Goku in the English dub considering name reversals and such. Kinda agreeing on everything else though, it isnt a proper redub, it's just... well, the same dub, but a bit worse, with Japanese music.

I mean there is room for liberties in every script. You just have to make sure the liberties taken are still in the tone of the original context/script.

I eamn ever since this began one of the biggest examples of how the dub is still really, really flawed was how Vegeta still offers a partnership with Goku. It's shit like that.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sat May 24, 2008 10:23 pm

Lavender Saiyan wrote:Let's be fair, it's not necisary for an ENG Dub to call him "Son Goku".
It is to those people. Like using honorifics.

Anyways, these threads are always great. Bonus points for the nerd ragin' over something in the original. Good job, guys. *slow clap*

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat May 24, 2008 10:38 pm

Since in the English language we don't call someone by their last name, then first... And since we never really call someone by both their first and last names when talking about them, I'd say it's okay that they didn't call him "Son Goku". It would just be improper English.

"Diesel Vin. I heard that you are going to be in the next Fast and Furious."

Vekurotto
Regular

Post by Vekurotto » Sat May 24, 2008 11:22 pm

Lavender Saiyan wrote:Let's be fair, it's not necisary for an ENG Dub to call him "Son Goku". Though it would be nice if they threw his last name in there.
Why not? The Spanish dub did and they use the same western name placement. That and they could just simply say it's his last name since it's not hard to attempt such a feat which Funi never did.

That and like said somewhere, it's been said in the Blue Water dubs of DB and GT. So again it's pretty inexcusable to me that it's just plain ignored like it is in the dub.
Be grateful the filler in Dragon Ball doesn't suck like the 3rd arc of Rurouni Kenshin.

[size=59][quote="Onikage725"]Anakin: I'm haunted by the kiss that you should never have given me. My heart is beating…hoping that kiss will not become a scar. You are in my very soul, tormenting me…what can I do? I will do anything you ask. If you are suffering as much as I am, please, tell me.

Me: YES! Please shut the fuck up!![/quote][/size]

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sat May 24, 2008 11:30 pm

Also, saying Goku's name in the Western order doesn't quite sound right. And it sounds like you're using a name suffix.

Vekurotto
Regular

Post by Vekurotto » Sat May 24, 2008 11:37 pm

^ Yeah but this show doesn't have realistic content or name placement from either side of the globe. So I don't see why "The rules of Western name placement" have to apply to the ENG dub, and ONLY the ENG dub since Mexico, France and most of the other countries with "Western order names" USED "Son" first, same with the crappy Malaysian English dub. "The rules of East Asian name placement" aren't paid that much attention here either.
Last edited by Vekurotto on Sat May 24, 2008 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be grateful the filler in Dragon Ball doesn't suck like the 3rd arc of Rurouni Kenshin.

[size=59][quote="Onikage725"]Anakin: I'm haunted by the kiss that you should never have given me. My heart is beating…hoping that kiss will not become a scar. You are in my very soul, tormenting me…what can I do? I will do anything you ask. If you are suffering as much as I am, please, tell me.

Thanos6
Advanced Regular

Post by Thanos6 » Sat May 24, 2008 11:41 pm

Well, the rules of the Dragon World are that, aside from the Son family, most people have stopped using family names (the Briefs, for example, is pure fanon and dub error; it's GOOD fanon I use myself, but still pure fanon).

It could have worked if Goku had said, say, "I'm Son Goku! My grandfather, Son Gohan, said to be nice to girls!" Something like that, but that presumes you start with Dragonball...or instead, "Son Goku, it's been a while! Who's the kid?" "My boy, Son Gohan!"
Trunks & Goten forever

Vekurotto
Regular

Post by Vekurotto » Sun May 25, 2008 12:03 am

^Well I still wish it was in Funi's dub in some way. I just don't think the rules have to apply though because DB isn't the most realistic show when it comes to names. So I think the dub calling him Son Goku would have been just fine like in the Blue Water English dubs of DB and GT where they left it in the same order.

ETC123
Banned

Post by ETC123 » Sun May 25, 2008 8:53 am

ENG

TheSonofKakarrot
Not-So-Newbie

Post by TheSonofKakarrot » Sun May 25, 2008 2:36 pm

SatoSky wrote:
shotkeeper wrote:I have no idea what you said lol, I only know with a upscaling ps3 and HDtv you can make remastered come pretty close to the Blueray version.
There is no Blu-ray version available, so why would you make that comparison?

Anyway, I also want to know how far along into the series does this set take us? Well, those of you who bought it anyway.
I know what shotkeeper is trying to say.

The PS3 actually has one of the best built in upscalers in any DVD player. So when it upconverts a 480i/p image to the native resolution of the HDTV, it still looks extremely good when in most cases, its suppsed to look horrible. For example, if you play the Wii on an HDTV, because the Wii doesnt support high definition and its resolution is in 480p, the TV has to upscale it to its resolution (1378x768 in most cases) which is why the Wii looks so much better and not choppy on an SDTV. When the PS3 upscales regular DVDs, it still looks extremely good, because it has one of the best upscalers of any DVD player. Thats most likely what shotkeeper is saying is that even having to upconvert, it still looks close to a Blu Ray DVD.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Sun May 25, 2008 2:43 pm

SatoSky wrote: Anyway, I also want to know how far along into the series does this set take us? Well, those of you who bought it anyway.
Where Cell decides to hold his own Tenka'ichi Budoukai, so 165.
Which means there's less than half the series left!

shotkeeper
Regular

Post by shotkeeper » Sun May 25, 2008 3:24 pm

TheSonofKakarrot wrote:
SatoSky wrote:
shotkeeper wrote:I have no idea what you said lol, I only know with a upscaling ps3 and HDtv you can make remastered come pretty close to the Blueray version.
There is no Blu-ray version available, so why would you make that comparison?

Anyway, I also want to know how far along into the series does this set take us? Well, those of you who bought it anyway.
I know what shotkeeper is trying to say.

The PS3 actually has one of the best built in upscalers in any DVD player. So when it upconverts a 480i/p image to the native resolution of the HDTV, it still looks extremely good when in most cases, its suppsed to look horrible. For example, if you play the Wii on an HDTV, because the Wii doesnt support high definition and its resolution is in 480p, the TV has to upscale it to its resolution (1378x768 in most cases) which is why the Wii looks so much better and not choppy on an SDTV. When the PS3 upscales regular DVDs, it still looks extremely good, because it has one of the best upscalers of any DVD player. Thats most likely what shotkeeper is saying is that even having to upconvert, it still looks close to a Blu Ray DVD.
Exactly.

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Sun May 25, 2008 8:29 pm

i think they are making a SERIOUS mistake not putting SSJ 2 Gohan on the season 6 box

side question - how are they going to do the double feature movies? at one point will they put broly and bojack or what? AND how will they end them since theres an odd number of movies?

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Sun May 25, 2008 8:42 pm

LeprikanGT wrote:i think they are making a SERIOUS mistake not putting SSJ 2 Gohan on the season 6 box
Ya, I didn't think they'd ever make a bigger mistake than giving Vegeta purple hair but once again Funimation amazes me, in a bad way.

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Sun May 25, 2008 9:03 pm

lol i think that is ok, its just a slight color difference - the back in the day vegeta had a weird brown color, and every now and then would have some color [besides black] to it - but totally blowing off the main character from the cell cames is something i cant explain - goku is already on a cover, now its gohans turn -- next is what, great saiyaman/world tourny/babidi [or minus babidi]

who do u think will be on that cover art?

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Sun May 25, 2008 9:04 pm

SSj_Rambo wrote:
LeprikanGT wrote:i think they are making a SERIOUS mistake not putting SSJ 2 Gohan on the season 6 box
Ya, I didn't think they'd ever make a bigger mistake than giving Vegeta purple hair but once again Funimation amazes me, in a bad way.

*Snip*
GAH I'll never be able to look at that picture again without seeing purple hair.

:lol:
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Sun May 25, 2008 9:12 pm

haha I'm not 'defending' the photo, but it also would have been wrong to give him [solid] black hair as well - bc when we first see him, he DOES have brown hair - so i guess the photo is a mid compromise

but are you saying a hair color over powers a character photo from a different saga, let alone not the MAIN character of that time?

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sun May 25, 2008 9:13 pm

LeprikanGT wrote:side question - how are they going to do the double feature movies? at one point will they put broly and bojack or what? AND how will they end them since theres an odd number of movies?
The smart thing to do would be to put 7 (Super13) and 9 (Bojack) together, then all 3 Broly movies (8, 10, 11) in a "Triple Feature," like with the already-existent singles pack, then 12 (Fusion) and 13 (Hildegarn) together.

That would make sense, but knowing FUNi, they probably wouldn't do that.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Sun May 25, 2008 10:10 pm

Vekurotto wrote: "The rules of East Asian name placement" aren't paid that much attention here either.
Actually, given that name reversals are only used for modern-day names, and Son Goku is the Japanese name of Sun Wukong, and thus not a modern-day name, the rule would not be applied here.

And as mentioned, everyone else other than FUNi use "Son Goku" (or "Sangoku" or whatever), without anyone bitching about how it's not "proper" Spanish/German/etc. There's no real excuse for not using the full name of the character.

Snail
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Snail » Sun May 25, 2008 10:42 pm

SSj_Rambo wrote:
From observation alone, I'm pretty sure that illustration of Vegeta was not done by anybody from FUNi. Frankly, I don't have enough evidence to back up this claim of mine, but if you take a look at the booklet of say..season one you may be able to notice what I mean.

For example, take a look at the picture of Krillin in the Season One booklet in the characters section, and compare that art style to that of Yamcha or Tien. I'm almost certain that the pictures of Yamcha, Tien, Gohan, Raditz, Vegeta, Nappa, and Princess Snake in the Season One booklet's character profiles are all done by one of the same company/person/ and/or team that's responsible for the plethora of new Dragonball artwork that we see for video game promotions, and whatnot that we get every year.