Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VyeRo
Beyond Newbie

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by VyeRo » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:03 pm

BRB gonna cry in my pillow right now. Why hasn't it shipped yet? D:

And Vegeta's ears turn red when he's blushing? So cute! :D

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:19 pm

I hate to say it, but Trunks and Mai hanging out in the tree is adorable. :lol: For some reason I can imagine Pilaf and Shu teasing them from below, only to then realize how 'improper' this is and start to berate Mai to come back down.

Also, totally not burning with jealousy once again over people who can see this now. Grr.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:19 pm

It's just a magnificent movie, beyond my wildest expectations despite having seen all those previews until the release!

It's absolutely beautiful with great animation and awesome background images and lighting effects (the detail in the Other World clouds, in the city, in the Earth from above, in the lighting during the use of the Dragon Balls, etc...).
The music is the best Dragon Ball music ever, but that's no surprise since I heard the OST months ago.
The story is perfect, it feels like Dragon Ball, it feels like Toriyama, and at the same time it feels new and refreshing. It's truly a new breath of life for the franchise.
Birus, just the best Dragon Ball enemy ever, how can he be so terrifying and yet be that guy you'd like to be friends with? Magical, thanks Toriyama for not having let him be just another bad guy that's really bad.

It's been a long while since Dragon Ball has made my eyes sparkle like when I was a little kid, and that's exactly the case now, I found again that dream world you want to explore more just like when I was a kid. I found again that level of quality in visual and audio that just make your eyes open wide and your brain repeat to you every 30 seconds "this is just magnificent, this is a dream come true".

My only small complaint (cause there's gotta be a flaw to everything): the first Pilaf gang part takes a little too long for my taste, drifting away from the Birus plot for a little too long.

Otherwise, all hail the wasabi scene, it just took me by surprise and it cracked me up in front of my screen, I was laughing so much I had to replay the scene immediately, before even reaching the end of the movie. :lol:

CashmanX
Patreon Supporter

Post by CashmanX » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:41 pm

A Fantastic movie. :mrgreen:

My only complaints are the conspicuous CG, some stiff animation and a few ill fitting pieces of music.
olympia wrote: 21:28 why are we still talking about the emails
21:29 who gives a fuck
21:29 shut the fuck up trunks
21:29 * mean trump

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:42 pm

Mine has been in "Out with delivery carrier" mode for about 5 hours now, and it's location was about 50 minutes from me....any minute now, hopefully! :thumbup:
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:59 pm

Cold Skin wrote:*This Movie is amazing, in the most spectacular way possible, even as a Kanzenshuuite who has likely been following the movie for quite a while*
:shock: :clap:

Can't wait.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:21 pm

Vegeta dancing. I knew this was coming. I had weeks to mentally prepare myself.

It wasent enough.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

Famicon3DS
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Famicon3DS » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:38 pm

The movie was quite good, I loved Beerus and Whis, animation was amazing, so was the lighting, I got a few chuckles from Beerus myself.

Animation 9/10 (there was a few seconds where Goku started to look strange but not as bad as the infamous "my pain is far greater than yours" scene from Naruto + what I am talking about is the CGI)

Soundtracks 8/10

Story 8.5/10 (The Pilaf Gang started to drag a bit)

Humor 8.5/10 (Beerus + Whis. That is all)

Fights 8/10

Overall this was an amazing movie.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:54 pm

I'd order a copy with english subs if it existed.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:56 pm

Forgot to mention how much I liked Whis' method of teleporting, was very cool and very pretty.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:56 pm

I was looking at some screen captures and I am beginning to think that Vegeta used a Gyallic Hou against Beers. O.o
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:09 pm

JulieYBM wrote:I was looking at some screen captures and I am beginning to think that Vegeta used a Gyallic Hou against Beers. O.o
I didn't hear him call it out by name or anything, but it's definitely the Gyarick Cannon.
Last edited by TheDevilsCorpse on Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:18 pm

Ugh, think I'm gonna cry here. :cry:

Every time I go on the internet I have to stop myself from hunting down the DVD-rip because I know I'm gonna be holding the actual thing in a few weeks.

MrKaytos
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MrKaytos » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:21 pm

DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Ugh, think I'm gonna cry here. :cry:

Every time I go on the internet I have to stop myself from hunting down the DVD-rip because I know I'm gonna be holding the actual thing in a few weeks.
There is no problem in hunting down the DVD-rip. I have bought the Special Edition too, but I am going to watch the movie when the English subtitles are ready. Later on, I will have time to enjoy my Blu-ray ^^

Daimo-Rukiri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:11 pm

If you own it I see no reason to not have a digital backup.
Mine is now with a carrier that will deliver it to me, and I have no idea who it is!! It's driving me mad!
12 Forwarded for delivery OMAHA, NE - USA 10:43

11 Departed Facility in CINCINNATI HUB - USA CINCINNATI HUB, OH - USA 06:00

10 Processed at CINCINNATI HUB - USA CINCINNATI HUB, OH - USA 03:22

9 Clearance processing complete at CINCINNATI HUB - USA CINCINNATI HUB, OH - USA 02:39

8 Arrived at Sort Facility CINCINNATI HUB - USA CINCINNATI HUB, OH - USA 02:33

Thursday, September 12, 2013 Location Time
7 Customs status updated CINCINNATI HUB, OH - USA 12:49

6 Departed Facility in NAGOYA CBD - JAPAN NAGOYA CBD - JAPAN 22:58

5 Processed at NAGOYA CBD - JAPAN NAGOYA CBD - JAPAN 22:28

4 Arrived at Sort Facility NAGOYA CBD - JAPAN NAGOYA CBD - JAPAN 21:05

3 Departed Facility in NAGOYA OUTSKIRTS - JAPAN NAGOYA OUTSKIRTS - JAPAN 18:41

2 Processed at NAGOYA OUTSKIRTS - JAPAN NAGOYA OUTSKIRTS - JAPAN 18:40

1 Shipment picked up NAGOYA OUTSKIRTS - JAPAN 16:37

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:43 pm

Just got through watching the new movie and loved it! I hope If we get it over here in the states that Funimation does a good job with the dubbing and they keep the Japanese music in it. I really enjoyed the soundtrack. I love how Vegeta got his little moment and I was hoping to see a little wolf fang fist from Yamcha but what can ya do :P a lot of parts made me laugh though. Can someone answer me this?
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Vegard Aune
Advanced Regular

Post by Vegard Aune » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:49 pm

JulieYBM wrote:The final fight is a mess of CG character models and layouts. There's actually a lot of CGI used throughout the movie, indicating a rushed schedule, too.
Well personally, while I do agree that the movie uses way too much CGI throughout, I thought the way it was used in the final battle was quite effective. Would I have liked to see the entire fight done in the quality of that one minute of Shida's key-animation? Of course I would, but I still thought the tracking-shots of Goku and Beers flying through the city, or the camera pulling back all the way from their fight to the others at Capsule Corp, were quite cool... The part by the ocean looked pretty awful though, that I will admit.

Oh, and one thing I noticed both times I saw the movie in theaters too, but which I then kinda forgot about by the end of the film...
That random woman on the motorcycle wondering if the whole Beers-fight was yet another one of Capsule Corp's crazy contraptions... who the hell was that? Was that another Dr. Slump cameo... or just some random celebrity they put into the movie for no good reason?

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:53 pm

Vegard Aune wrote:That random woman on the motorcycle wondering if the whole Beers-fight was yet another one of Capsule Corp's crazy contraptions... who the hell was that? Was that another Dr. Slump cameo... or just some random celebrity they put into the movie for no good reason?
If you're talking about the cop, it is a celebrity cameo of a sort. I forget her name, but she's an Olympic Gold Medalist of some sort if I remember right (which I'm probably not). It is someone though.

What's this about Slump cameos though?
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Vegard Aune
Advanced Regular

Post by Vegard Aune » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:57 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:If you're talking about the cop, it is a celebrity cameo of a sort. I forget her name, but she's an Olympic Gold Medalist of some sort if I remember right (which I'm probably not). It is someone though.
Ah. Well, that explains the woodenness of her acting.
Gyt Kaliba wrote: What's this about Slump cameos though?
To be honest, I don't even know... I just saw other people here talking about there apparently being some. Having never watched that series and only having read the first volume of the manga, like, once, I for one didn't notice any.

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:01 pm

Look what arrived in my mailbox today... unfortunately, the bonus poster managed to snag some creases during delivery, but I still plan on framing this bad boy! Looks like I'm in for the night. :)
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.