Dragon Ball Super Strength Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Power Level Discussion Thread

Post by ZombieVito » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:31 am

RandomGuy96 wrote:
Zombie wrote:
Draconic wrote: My opinion on Gohan: his base kept some of the power from the ritual, his SSJ level is now as strong as SSJ2 against Perfect Cell and the rage boost next episode puts him to his Buu saga power. This puts Tagoma at Perfect Cell level: enough to own Piccolo, but be nothing for SSJ Gohan.
Gohan says Tagoma is hiding Ki that might be on par with him at his best. As crazy as this sounds this puts Ginyu at Super Buu tier or higher.
Herms already told you this, but by his "best" Gohan meant his current best, not his lifetime best. And the statement was proven wrong anyway.
I'm going off by Dragon Team (waiting for the update on the facts thread) subs. There's no mention of "current" best at all in there. There's also the fact that Ginyu calls Gohan disappointing and his power puny.

xmysticgohanx
Regular

Post by xmysticgohanx » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:03 am

Neon Z wrote: He's probably referencing Beerus' statement about Base Goku being unable to take on Freeza (and Goku's answer to that being turning into a SSJ, rather than just powering up in base).
Go rewatch the scene, it's clear Beerus can't sense ki. Even if he could, feats > statements so the kids' fight with #18 and Gohan outperforming Piccolo disprove it.
Canon is Jaco, Dragon Ball except for EoZ, Dragon Ball Super anime and manga (both are separate canons)
Kai >>> Z
Current Roshi/Kulilin >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> SSJ3 Gotenks

buutenks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by buutenks » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:42 pm

xmysticgohanx wrote:
Neon Z wrote: He's probably referencing Beerus' statement about Base Goku being unable to take on Freeza (and Goku's answer to that being turning into a SSJ, rather than just powering up in base).
Go rewatch the scene, it's clear Beerus can't sense ki. Even if he could, feats > statements so the kids' fight with #18 and Gohan outperforming Piccolo disprove it.
Not really.

I rewatched the manga pages where trunks and goten fight 18,it is a very short fight.18 remarks that even though hes got a strange body he's pretty strong.Makes sense its some random dude and can fight her even though she isnt serious enough to inflict big damage.Once they go ssj though and they fire the ki blast she gets scared and realizes who they r and how powerful they r.

If base saiyans would be above 18,trunks or goten would have koed her in one or 2 hits.ofc that never happened and she was totally undamaged by their hits.

Also base saiyans being below freeza doesnt meaa 18 is hundreds of times stronger than them,max id say shes proly 5x as strong perhaps 3x minnimum depending how u play with the PL.

Ofc once the saiyan goes ssj they r close to 10 times stronger than 18.

And gohan,nah gohan still has some of his unlocked power in his base,he just needs ssj to tap into the rest.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:25 pm

Excuse me if this has been discussed already, but just how strong is SSJ Gohan from Super's Frieza arc?

If Tagoma > Piccolo, we know that he's stronger than an untrained SSJ and Imperfect Cell. Base Gohan could not even make him flinch, but SSJ Gotenks very likely would have pulverized him. So, SSJ Gotenks > Tagoma > Base Gohan > Piccolo. Clearly, Gohan barely has a shred of his ultimate powers anymore, but his SSJ state is still able to take down Tagoma, so SSJ Gotenks >/= SSJ Gohan > Tagoma > Base Gohan > Piccolo.

In comparison to DBZ's SSJs, where does this leave this SSJ Gohan? He's clearly superior to any of the untrained SSJs from the android arcs, Imperfect Cell, and the androids. But is his power greater than FPSSJ/MSSJ Kid Gohan's? Modern Gohan clearly cannot tap into his SSJ2 powers and cannot maintain his SSJ state for long--in fact, he wasn't even sure he could still transform! On the other hand, Kid Gohan mastered the SSJ state and could live every single day of his life in it.

If we go back to the Buu saga, it's confirmed that Teen Gohan, prior to having his powers unlocked, was weaker than when he fought Cell. However, he could still ascend beyond a SSJ. It's also pretty much stated that his "ultimate" state is basically his dormant powers and beyond unlocked. If he can't access his full power in his base form, that essentially means his dormant abilities are once again locked/inaccessible (i.e. Ultimate Gohan is no more). However, could there still be reserves left, making SSJ Gohan a lot stronger than many people believe? Or is he really a poop compared to his child and even early Buu saga teen self?
Last edited by fadeddreams5 on Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:27 pm

Is it that hard to tell where Gohan is? At the same level he was before the ultimate state was unlocked. As a Super Saiyan in the Boo arc, he was already stronger than Piccolo and then he trained with the Z-Sword.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:30 pm

Doctor. wrote:Is it that hard to tell where Gohan is? At the same level he was before the ultimate state was unlocked. As a Super Saiyan in the Boo arc, he was already stronger than Piccolo and then he trained with the Z-Sword.
Not even that Gohan was this rusty.

In the versus topic, a lot of people claimed he could beat MSSJ Kid Gohan, so I was curious where people put him.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:30 pm

Doctor. wrote:Is it that hard to tell where Gohan is? At the same level he was before the ultimate state was unlocked. As a Super Saiyan in the Boo arc, he was already stronger than Piccolo and then he trained with the Z-Sword.
But he is stronger than Piccolo in base now.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:33 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:Not even that Gohan was this rusty.

In the versus topic, a lot of people claimed he could beat MSSJ Kid Gohan, so I was curious where people put him.
You can get rusty without getting weaker. Look at Kuririn, he's still the strongest human.
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:But he is stronger than Piccolo in base now.
There's nothing that can make one believe this. Tagoma defeated Gohan and Piccolo easily. Then Ginyu blocked all of Gohan's hits and defeated him until he turned Super Saiyan. Neither Piccolo nor Gohan did a good job against Tagoma/Ginyu.

DragonHermit
Regular

Post by DragonHermit » Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:06 pm

I agree with Draconic. Gohan SSJ now is about as strong as Teen Gohan SSJ2. Although, the SSJ2 form would be much faster.
+1

xmysticgohanx
Regular

Post by xmysticgohanx » Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:50 pm

buutenks wrote:
xmysticgohanx wrote:
Not really.

I rewatched the manga pages where trunks and goten fight 18,it is a very short fight.18 remarks that even though hes got a strange body he's pretty strong.Makes sense its some random dude and can fight her even though she isnt serious enough to inflict big damage.Once they go ssj though and they fire the ki blast she gets scared and realizes who they r and how powerful they r.

If base saiyans would be above 18,trunks or goten would have koed her in one or 2 hits.ofc that never happened and she was totally undamaged by their hits.

Also base saiyans being below freeza doesnt meaa 18 is hundreds of times stronger than them,max id say shes proly 5x as strong perhaps 3x minnimum depending how u play with the PL.

Ofc once the saiyan goes ssj they r close to 10 times stronger than 18.

And gohan,nah gohan still has some of his unlocked power in his base,he just needs ssj to tap into the rest.
Her facial expressions show here having way, way, way more trouble than she did vs SSJ Vegeta. And how does base Saiyans > #18 mean they should one shot her?
Canon is Jaco, Dragon Ball except for EoZ, Dragon Ball Super anime and manga (both are separate canons)
Kai >>> Z
Current Roshi/Kulilin >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> SSJ3 Gotenks

Helios518
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Helios518 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:07 pm

xmysticgohanx wrote: Her facial expressions show here having way, way, way more trouble than she did vs SSJ Vegeta. And how does base Saiyans > #18 mean they should one shot her?
Because when Goten and Trunks went SSJ as Mighty mask they should've one shot her. 18 was expecting only to fight regular humans in the tournament therefore didn't want to kill someone and was surprised that there's someone so strong for a human.
Why I use "Geran" instead of "Jiren"

buutenks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by buutenks » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:24 pm

xmysticgohanx wrote: Her facial expressions show here having way, way, way more trouble than she did vs SSJ Vegeta. And how does base Saiyans > #18 mean they should one shot her?
Nope,i just rechecked the manga,She shows no facial expression,not surprised or anything,just says what a freak,hes got a weird body but hes pretty strong.

She only gets surprised when they go ssj.

So its pretty clear she was holding back,since she didnt know who she was fighting.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:40 pm

Zombie wrote: I'm going off by Dragon Team (waiting for the update on the facts thread) subs. There's no mention of "current" best at all in there. There's also the fact that Ginyu calls Gohan disappointing and his power puny.
Herms outright said that the way you're interpreting the statement is incorrect. I'm not sure why he needs to say it again. Furthermore, in the newest episode Gohan says that he no longer has the power to defend everyone (in the context of fighting Freeza), which implies that Ultimate Gohan could at least kick 1st form Freeza's ass.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:53 pm

Since Goku didn't feel Freeza's ki even concentrating and then felt Gohan's ki, could it be that Gohan briefly surpassed Freeza in his frustration power-up?

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:59 pm

Hugo Boss wrote:Since Goku didn't feel Freeza's ki even concentrating and then felt Gohan's ki, could it be that Gohan briefly surpassed Freeza in his frustration power-up?
Goten and Trunks didn't feel Freeza's Ki either, only Tagoma's. It's more likely that Freeza is simply suppressed or, at least, not making his hostile intent clear.

Pannaliciour
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pannaliciour » Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:21 pm

Hugo Boss wrote:Since Goku didn't feel Freeza's ki even concentrating and then felt Gohan's ki, could it be that Gohan briefly surpassed Freeza in his frustration power-up?
The episode that freeza was resurrected, Goku felt something. (That was the moment he and vegeta where cleaning the stairs at Beerus place)

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:32 pm

Doctor. wrote:
Goten and Trunks didn't feel Freeza's Ki either, only Tagoma's. It's more likely that Freeza is simply suppressed or, at least, not making his hostile intent clear.
Yup, while torturing Gohan he was applying the torture method trained on Tagoma. At least that's how I perceive it. Not sure were to put First Form Freeza, Goku and Vegeta only seemed impressed by his True Form.
Pannaliciour wrote:
The episode that freeza was resurrected, Goku felt something. (That was the moment he and vegeta where cleaning the stairs at Beerus place)
That was more like a premonition than actually Ki feeling.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:40 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote:
Zombie wrote: I'm going off by Dragon Team (waiting for the update on the facts thread) subs. There's no mention of "current" best at all in there. There's also the fact that Ginyu calls Gohan disappointing and his power puny.
Herms outright said that the way you're interpreting the statement is incorrect. I'm not sure why he needs to say it again. Furthermore, in the newest episode Gohan says that he no longer has the power to defend everyone (in the context of fighting Freeza), which implies that Ultimate Gohan could at least kick 1st form Freeza's ass.
I haven't seen that post. It doesn't make sense though, Gohan just ate a senzu there. There's also the fact that SSJ Gohan was felt on Beerus planet, which implies he is stronger than SSJ3 Goku at least.

Ugh this is messed up. SSJ Gohan > Ginyu = Gohan > Tagoma > Piccolo? How the hell does that work with SSJ's multiplier?

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:45 pm

Zombie wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
I haven't seen that post. It doesn't make sense though, Gohan just ate a senzu there. There's also the fact that SSJ Gohan was felt on Beerus planet, which implies he is stronger than SSJ3 Goku at least.

Ugh this is messed up. SSJ Gohan > Ginyu = Gohan > Tagoma > Piccolo? How the hell does that work with SSJ's multiplier?
Is Gohan above Tagoma?
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:47 pm

Zombie wrote:I haven't seen that post. It doesn't make sense though, Gohan just ate a senzu there. There's also the fact that SSJ Gohan was felt on Beerus planet, which implies he is stronger than SSJ3 Goku at least.

How does that imply anything? Beerus' planet is in the universe, not in an alternate dimension.

You're making this up to be more complicated than it needs to be. SS Gohan > Ginyu > Tagoma > Piccolo > Base Gohan, what's so wrong about that? I repeat, both base Gohan and Piccolo had a shit performance against Tagoma/Ginyu, there's absolutely nothing that tells us that Gohan's stronger.