Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

8bitdee
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Post by 8bitdee » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:03 pm

Asura wrote:Yeah I don’t understand how anyone can defend this at this point in the series.
I can defend it because I don't let a few frames of a cartoon I've seen before deter my enjoyment of what I'm watching. I can watch Goku and Jiren fight and still enjoy it even if they exchange the same punch they exchanged 10 episodes ago. I quite liked this episode, one of my favorites of this arc.

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:41 pm

8bitdee wrote:
Asura wrote:Yeah I don’t understand how anyone can defend this at this point in the series.
I can defend it because I don't let a few frames of a cartoon I've seen before deter my enjoyment of what I'm watching. I can watch Goku and Jiren fight and still enjoy it even if they exchange the same punch they exchanged 10 episodes ago. I quite liked this episode, one of my favorites of this arc.
There's a lot more than just a few reused frames and you know it.

Pannaliciour
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pannaliciour » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:43 pm

Firebolt wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:
Thats bullsh.t, you are saying that the epsiode is garbage just for those reused moments? Yeah you are a real dragon ball fan. Enjoy the moments that weren't reused. The rest of the episode was absolute fantastic. Introducing of MUI. And besides that this was't the final.epsiodes. That you think that a episode should be important doesn't mean that Toei should think that.
Everyone on this website is a Dragon Ball fan. Please refrain from claiming people not to be "real fans" when they have a differing opinion.

As others have stated, this episode was the beginning of the final battle, it needed to be good. Yet literally half of the entire episode was completely reused. We're 3 episodes to the end of the series, reuse of this scale is unacceptable, regardless of how great the new stuff is.
Yeah yeah unacceptable. So what are you going to do about it?? Post here to let everybody know that you are angry about a show for kids? The episodes are already written and animated. Nothing you can change about it so enjoy the great moments because one day you will look back at it and laugh about it.

Ohh yeahh I counted the reused animation it was 20 - 22 sec long. THATS NOT LITERALLY HALF!

8bitdee
Not-So-Newbie

Post by 8bitdee » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:18 pm

Amir wrote:
8bitdee wrote:
Stop trying to impose your opinion onto mine. I like what I like, and you like what you like. I can live with 10 frames of reused animation, or 10 MINUTES. You can't? So be it. Leave it at that. Whatever was reused didn't bother me AT ALL. I liked the episode quite much.

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:38 pm

8bitdee wrote:
Amir wrote:
8bitdee wrote:
Stop trying to impose your opinion onto mine. I like what I like, and you like what you like. I can live with 10 frames of reused animation, or 10 MINUTES. You can't? So be it. Leave it at that. Whatever was reused didn't bother me AT ALL. I liked the episode quite much.
The length of reused frames is not an opinion, it’s a fact. As Amir said, it’s a lot more than just a few reused frames.
Pannaliciour wrote:
Firebolt wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:
Thats bullsh.t, you are saying that the epsiode is garbage just for those reused moments? Yeah you are a real dragon ball fan. Enjoy the moments that weren't reused. The rest of the episode was absolute fantastic. Introducing of MUI. And besides that this was't the final.epsiodes. That you think that a episode should be important doesn't mean that Toei should think that.
Everyone on this website is a Dragon Ball fan. Please refrain from claiming people not to be "real fans" when they have a differing opinion.

As others have stated, this episode was the beginning of the final battle, it needed to be good. Yet literally half of the entire episode was completely reused. We're 3 episodes to the end of the series, reuse of this scale is unacceptable, regardless of how great the new stuff is.
Yeah yeah unacceptable. So what are you going to do about it?? Post here to let everybody know that you are angry about a show for kids? The episodes are already written and animated. Nothing you can change about it so enjoy the great moments because one day you will look back at it and laugh about it.

Ohh yeahh I counted the reused animation it was 20 - 22 sec long. THATS NOT LITERALLY HALF!
You must not have counted correctly then, because there is 2 whole minutes of reused animation for the fight scenes, not 20 seconds. There was also 2 minutes of brand new animation during the fight scenes, so yes technically half of the fight was reused. I think that’s what Firebolt meant to say, not that half of the entire episode was reused.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:49 pm

Asura wrote:
8bitdee wrote:
Amir wrote: There's a lot more than just a few reused frames and you know it.
The length of reused frames is not an opinion, it’s a fact. As Amir said, it’s a lot more than just a few reused frames.
You dont get the point. He is saying that he doesn’t care how much reused animation was there. He still liked the episode.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Asura

Post by Asura » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:17 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
Asura wrote:
8bitdee wrote:
You dont get the point. He is saying that he doesn’t care how much reused animation was there. He still liked the episode.
I don't think you get the point. His initial post said there were only a few frames of reused animation, someone else corrected him saying there are more than a few, to which he replied "Stop trying to impose your opinion on to mine."
Like I said, the amount of reused frames is fact, not opinion, it's a hard number.

Pannaliciour
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pannaliciour » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:18 pm

Asura wrote:
8bitdee wrote:
Amir wrote: There's a lot more than just a few reused frames and you know it.
Pannaliciour wrote:
Firebolt wrote:

You must not have counted correctly then, because there is 2 whole minutes of reused animation for the fight scenes, not 20 seconds. There was also 2 minutes of brand new animation during the fight scenes, so yes technically half of the fight was reused. I think that’s what Firebolt meant to say, not that half of the entire episode was reused.
Nope not 2 minutes reused in the fight. I counted it was 20 sec. The opening intro reused (2 times total 6 sec)) the kefla reused ( 10 sec) and the Goku kaioken vs Jiren (3 sec) and the UI dragon fist against Jiren (1 sec)

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:22 pm

Pannaliciour wrote:Nope not 2 minutes reused in the fight. I counted it was 20 sec. The opening intro reused (2 times total 6 sec)) the kefla reused ( 10 sec) and the Goku kaioken vs Jiren (3 sec) and the UI dragon fist against Jiren (1 sec)
Considering 14:25 -14:43 is almost 20 seconds of reused animation alone, you're obviously missing huge chunks.

My calculations of 2 minutes aren't incorrect.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:36 pm

8bitdee wrote:
That is your opinion and you are entitled to that. Others may not have enjoyed watching the same frames again but we must all agree to disagree.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:28 pm

If the two last episodes ends up being the best animated stuff we got in the last ten, I'll be fine with the reused animation in #129.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:18 pm

Pannaliciour, as noted in the community guidelines that you agreed to (twice) prior to registration, account strikes add up to temporary/permanent bans, which revoke access to the entirety of the Kanzenshuu website.

Contributions like the ones you are making are not appropriate, do not reflect our mission, and we do not need to entertain them any longer. Please re-evaluate what it is you are looking to get out of your time here.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:47 pm

-New staff list-

WTF?! Tate will supervise another episode and the fan favorite Takahashi will do key animation under Yamamuro's supervision of all people?!
Unless Takahashi didn't want to supervise, this doesn't make any sense. :evil:

I'm really looking forward to Manabe though. He has been shining in other people episodes, it's time for him to have his own!

Tomioka not handling episode 130 too is disappointing.

Nagamine not coming back was expected, if he's 100% focused in the new Movie like I want him to be. Now if only Takahashi was the character designer...
Nakamura is great anyway.

Looks like episode 125 was the last one from Kazuya Karasawa. Still easily one of the best episodes of the climax. It's a shame that episode 126 writing was so atrocious.

I'm curious to see what Megumi will bring to the table.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

cuartas
Beyond Newbie

Post by cuartas » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:25 pm

8bitdee wrote:
Amir wrote:
8bitdee wrote:
So you're not objectively defending it, it is just based on your personal taste, that's not enough to find a defense that objectively pleases everyone.
As everyone else pointed out, it's not just a few reused bits of animations, in fact it's the episode which used them the most in time length

ZenkaiBoosts
Banned

Post by ZenkaiBoosts » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:40 am

AnimeNation101 wrote:
Asura wrote:
8bitdee wrote:
Exactly my brother

Asura wrote:The length of reused frames is not an opinion, it’s a fact. As Amir said, it’s a lot more than just a few reused frames.
No one is saying other wise. Yes it is a legit flaw. However you keep missing the point, that to him and many others that flaw didn't matter. They still enjoyed the episode. Are you saying people are not allowed to love 129 just because there was reused animation?
Last edited by ZenkaiBoosts on Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:47 am

So Yamamuro's straight up supervising 131? Damn, he hasn't done that since Episode 13.

Nakamura directing 131 is so exciting. Loved his work on Episode 107.

ZenkaiBoosts
Banned

Post by ZenkaiBoosts » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:55 am

So I was watching a video from mastar media about how difficult animation is. He was talking about how something as little as just 5 mins of animation can take youtube animators thousands of hours and months to complete. That's bananas. Animators have such a difficult thankless job

Hopefully that gives some perspective here, when it comes to re-using animations.

Episode 129 was amazing. Let's not let any of this get in the way of enjoying an episode that was truly special, gave us many pivotal moments and provided so many epic highlights. You can list flaws and still be positive about the strengths. It's ok to be positive: )

That video did leave me with several questions however. (Hopefully someone familiar with the industry or software can answer)

In today's technologically advanced world how has there not been any significant strides made in 2D animation or hand drawn animation?

There has to be some kind of software that helps with not having to draw every key frame or replicating or animating in a much easier way etc?

Have any new cutting edge techniques started development that will make it much easier and less time consuming?

If more people understood just how insanely difficult animation is, I think more would appreciate how well Super still came out despite such grueling production cycles

Hopefully IF Super returns, they have a longer pre-production phase, and that takes care of the issues Super had in production/time schedule
Last edited by ZenkaiBoosts on Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

Firebolt
Beyond Newbie

Post by Firebolt » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:07 am

I'm kinda scared. Tate provided lot's of KA throughout these past few episodes, and Manabe provided KA for 125, and he also supervised 124. Do they have the time to pull this off?

I'm really excited about 131. Ishitani blew us all away with her unsettling, spooky board back on 107, I'm really curious as to how she'll handle a more cheerful narrative.

8bitdee
Not-So-Newbie

Post by 8bitdee » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:19 am

Asura wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:
Asura wrote:
I don't think you get the point. His initial post said there were only a few frames of reused animation, someone else corrected him saying there are more than a few, to which he replied "Stop trying to impose your opinion on to mine."
Like I said, the amount of reused frames is fact, not opinion, it's a hard number.
No. This type of thinking is you guys trying to get me to admit that there was something wrong with the reused animation. There wasn't anything wrong with it, for me. To me, they were a few frames because I only noticed a few frames. Whether it was two minutes or 10 minutes of reused animation, it doesn't matter that there is a hard number, because it doesn't change my opinion. Facts don't matter because this isn't a science experiment. It's an entertainment show, where you are allowed to like it or dislike based on your experience while watching it, not because people beating you over the head with facts. Your facts influence your opinion of the show, I don't question that. But they don't influence mine, so why keep trying to make me change my mind.
majinwarman wrote:
8bitdee wrote:
That is your opinion and you are entitled to that. Others may not have enjoyed watching the same frames again but we must all agree to disagree.

That's exactly what's been happening on my part. I asked why reusing animation was a taboo, and I got a response from people like Ajay who gave me their reasons. And I didn't question them. I asked something, I got an answer. That's what having a discussion is. Then I got asked why I can defend reused animation for which I gave answer. I've just been discussing things. I haven't been discrediting people's opinions for not liking the episode.
However, when I state MY opinion that I personally didn't mind how the episode was produced at all, my opinion gets challenged like there's something wrong with me for accepting reused animation. Like it's a taboo for someone to accept such heinous acts from Toei. It seems that in this forum you can have an opinion as long as everyone agrees with it, otherwise you get piled on for enjoying an 20 minute tv episode.

Asura

Post by Asura » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:38 am

8bitdee wrote:
Asura wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote: You dont get the point. He is saying that he doesn’t care how much reused animation was there. He still liked the episode.
No. This type of thinking is you guys trying to get me to admit that there was something wrong with the reused animation. There wasn't anything wrong with it, for me. To me, they were a few frames because I only noticed a few frames. Whether it was two minutes or 10 minutes of reused animation, it doesn't matter that there is a hard number, because it doesn't change my opinion. Facts don't matter because this isn't a science experiment. It's an entertainment show, where you are allowed to like it or dislike based on your experience while watching it, not because people beating you over the head with facts. Your facts influence your opinion of the show, I don't question that. But they don't influence mine, so why keep trying to make me change my mind.
majinwarman wrote:
8bitdee wrote:

That's exactly what's been happening on my part. I asked why reusing animation was a taboo, and I got a response from people like Ajay who gave me their reasons. And I didn't question them. I asked something, I got an answer. That's what having a discussion is. Then I got asked why I can defend reused animation for which I gave answer. I've just been discussing things. I haven't been discrediting people's opinions for not liking the episode.
However, when I state MY opinion that I personally didn't mind how the episode was produced at all, my opinion gets challenged like there's something wrong with me for accepting reused animation. Like it's a taboo for someone to accept such heinous acts from Toei. It seems that in this forum you can have an opinion as long as everyone agrees with it, otherwise you get piled on for enjoying an 20 minute tv episode.

I don’t know if it’s just your guys’ reading comprehension or if I’m not clear enough, but you said there was just “a few” frames of repeated animation, to which someone replied that there was a lot more than a few, and somehow you’ve taken that as us trying to forcefully change your opinion or something. No one is doing that, we’re simply correcting you saying there was only a few frames of repeated animation because that’s completely wrong.