New Freeza Talkback

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KaiserNeko
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: New Freeza Talkback

Post by KaiserNeko » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:43 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:
KaiserNeko wrote:
jjgp1112 wrote:Yes, yes. Recoome is way more hilarious with that voice coming out of his mouth and is so much more interesting to me.
Do you even know what the original character is like? You obviously musn't and have no respect for the original representation of the character both in the manga and the anime if you think that him sounded LITERALLY RETARDED is more interesting.
First of all, calm down, second of all, what character does Recoome even have in the manga/JP anime? A guy that's really goofy despite his strength and does poses? His voice made that aspect way funnier to me.
Let me put it this way. Think of the Jew Hunter from Inglorious Bastards. Then give him a voice and tone of a stereotypically mentally handicapped individual. Do you think he'd still come off as the same character? (And NO, I'm not saying Recoome is like that character, it's just an example.)

His Japanese character is a big thug, very Japanese rough and similar to a mafia member. He's tough and violent, but also goofy and charismatic. It's what makes him such an entertaining character. It's big, tough, and brutish, but not stupid.
Last edited by KaiserNeko on Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

UristtheGreat
Beyond Newbie

Post by UristtheGreat » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:44 pm

MetalMadness wrote:Why are we talking about Recoome?

who fucking cares about him anyway he's in Kai for maybe 3-4 episodes only

back to Freeza please?
We're talking about Recoome because his voice is one of FUNi's worst decisions in the Dragon Ball Z dub and we want to see it fixed.
LeprikanGT wrote:...I LOVE that we are getting the Dragonboxes, but the JP ones are HUGE ones are noticably taller and the dicks dont overlap.

Blue
Advanced Regular

Post by Blue » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:44 pm

LeprikanGT wrote: @Blue: a voice is enough for you not to watch a show yet you have people like 'Killa' with huge 1930's racist black lips and a boxtop with a fade in th back keeps you coming back for more?
Mentioning of Killa he had one of the worst and weirdest dub voices ever...erm anyway.

I say it's offensive because it is, not to ME but to a lot of people. I'm not personally that easily offended. The voice is just awful and doesn't fit the character. If I have to hear Sabat go "DUH HUH HUH IMM GONNA KILL YOOOOUUUUU" I'm done. It's a ridiculous voice and if they go for it it's clear they aren't trying to be as accurate as they claim. I'll just stick to the version that doesn't have a mentally handicapped Recoome.
Last edited by Blue on Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Herms wrote: The DB wikai lists “Rolie Buu” as one of this form’s alternate name, though I have no clue who calls him that.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:44 pm

UristtheGreat wrote: Honestly, you shouldn't be telling anyone to calm down. You become so defensive whenever someone criticizes the dub. If anything, you need to calm down.
Why is he getting defensive when I didn't even saying bad about what he liked in the first place? All I did was say I liked his dub voice, and all of a sudden he blew up on me.
Last edited by jjgp1112 on Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:44 pm

So, going by everything else so far, I wouldn't be surprised if Freeza's character was very much like the Japanese version. If such is the case, awesome! They'll have gotten the most annoying problem with Freeza right! However, I still wanted a different voice.

Hopefully he'll have a personality and speaking manner that reflects the Japanese version more accurately and that'll make up for the actual voice. :D
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:46 pm

LeprikanGT wrote:Why should the JP be a guide for the US voice cast if the JP was just a guess at what they were going for.

There is the same script and it is being done by 2 different languages, niehter should have to guide by the other or check in on the other to see what to do.
You're vastly overestimating the creativity of a licensor company. Their job is to bring the viewer an English version of the Japanese show, not guess at what the characters in the manga should sound like. Funimation doesn't produce DBZ. They just repackage it. They're not talented enough to interpret it. I doubt they've even read much of the manga.

That aside, how does the retard voice fit the character of Recoome at all?
Last edited by penguintruth on Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:47 pm

Recoome is the one of the few dub voices that I hate. He may be big and bulky, and wierd-looking, but that does not justify him having a retarded-sounding person, so yes Recoome needs a new voice plain and simple.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:48 pm

I'm not just flipping out and trying to defend Recoome's voice, although I love it. I'm trying to figure out why people are trying to act like the JP voices are the LAW and must be followed to the letter.

They had a manga, they made it into an anime with a script, they guessed at voices and went with it. Now Funi has a script of the manga just like they did, and now Funi is now making guesses as well.

KaiserNeko

Post by KaiserNeko » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:49 pm

LeprikanGT wrote:I'm not just flipping out and trying to defend Recoome's voice, although I love it. I'm trying to figure out why people are trying to act like the JP voices are the LAW and must be followed to the letter.

They had a manga, they made it into an anime with a script, they guessed at voices and went with it. Now Funi has a script of the manga just like they did, and now Funi is now making guesses as well.
Let me put it THIS way.

Take Batman.

Give him a retards voice.

Does this sound right to you? No? Why?

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:50 pm

penguintruth wrote:
LeprikanGT wrote:Why should the JP be a guide for the US voice cast if the JP was just a guess at what they were going for.

There is the same script and it is being done by 2 different languages, niehter should have to guide by the other or check in on the other to see what to do.
You're vastly overestimating the creativity of a licensor company. Their job is to bring the viewer an English version of the Japanese show, not guess at what the characters in the manga should sound like. Funimation doesn't produce DBZ. They just repackage it. They're not talented enough to interpret it. I doubt they've even read much of the manga.

And what makes Toei's voices the law? because they happened to adapt the manga first?
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:50 pm

LeprikanGT wrote:I'm not just flipping out and trying to defend Recoome's voice, although I love it. I'm trying to figure out why people are trying to act like the JP voices are the LAW and must be followed to the letter.

No, that's wrong. There's already an anime made for that manga. Funimation's job isn't to second-guess Toei, it's to adapt that vision to English.

I'm not saying that they have to follow everything they do to the letter, but it certainly should be relevant.
jjgp1112 wrote:what makes Toei's voices the law? because they happened to adapt the manga first?
Anyone casting the English dub for the show should pretend there is no manga. The show is the thing they are casting, not the manga. You have to deal with the product you're adapting, not its source. The only people who should care about the manga when casting are the people at Toei.
Last edited by penguintruth on Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Can I get a Schemen?

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:50 pm

@Leprikan

No, FUNi doesn't have a script of the manga. They have a script of the show. They are making an English version of the show, not an adaptation of the manga.

That said, if they can take something and make it their own on occasion, and it's GOOD, then I really don't have that much of a problem. Well, it depends. I don't expect everything to be the same. I expect most of it to come as close as possible, but I know that it's not always possible. But they're making a dub. They're not making their own show. Therefore, it should be very close to the same experience.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/29/24!)
Current Episode: Attack of the Member Berries - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 3

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:52 pm

They're not guesses, they're exactly how they act in the manga. You can't say the same for FUNimation's dub.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:52 pm

1. batman has had MANY different voices and transformations throughout the years and has fans of each of them.......now stixking to DBZ.

2. Just because Toei got to something first doesn't automatically make every voice choice they made the 'way it should be.'

3. You can't just read a manga and KNOW what a voice is giong to sound like. Look at Mike Tyson, he is a HUGE muscley powerful boxer, but the moment he opens his mouth, its a high pitched voice. The way someone acts doesnt always match their voice.
Last edited by LeprikanGT on Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:53 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

And what makes Toei's voices the law? because they happened to adapt the manga first?
Dubbing is supposed to be translating, not reversioning. Giving someone the wrong voice can ruin the proper interpretation of the character's personality. Not always, but sometimes. Generally making someone sound retarded instead of whatever they're supposed to be (in Reacoom's case, fun and goofy while still deep-sounding) can ruin any character.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:53 pm

Just FYI, I updated my first post to more accurately chronicle the fan's reactions:

"UPDATE (6/17/2010): Well, folks...it happened. Freeza has a new voice. It was actually leaked early to us on the third page of this thread via a YouTube clip. Chris Ayres is the new Freeza. This doesn't come as a huge surprise, as a lot of us at Daizenshuu EX guessed it might be him by way of some hint-dropping and logical deductions (viewtopic.php?f=16&t=13436&start=140). As for me personally...I gotta be honest, I'm a tad disappointed. There are a few people who really like the new voice, and there is also a general feeling going around that it is a slight improvement over Linda Young's...but based on the one line we heard, it doesn't look like too many people are sold on it. I know I wasn't sold on it. This was hyped up to be 'an English Ryusei Nakao.' After I heard it, I was not disgusted, but I did have an overwhelming feeling of, '...That's it?' Especially because it almost sounds like they asked Mr. Ayres to imitate Linda Young or perhaps Young's predecessor, Pauline Newstone (some people even noted that if that's what they were going for, there was no point in getting rid of Young at all). With all due respect, that's not an English Ryusei Nakao. This disappointment is similar to when your friends tell you that there's this movie coming out that's supposed to be the scariest movie of all time, and then you see it and it's like, '...Really?' Having said all that, I think it's important for people to keep in mind that we only heard one line. ONE line. There's still a chance that Ayres can flesh the character out a bit more and make it his own once he has full dialogue to work with. Some people have even theorized that Ayres might change his voice with each of Freeza's transformations. Like I noted in my own reaction post though, the fact that I even have to remind people of that at all is not a good sign."
Last edited by TheBlackPaladin on Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

KaiserNeko

Post by KaiserNeko » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:53 pm

LeprikanGT wrote:1. batman has had MANY different voices and transformations throughout the years and has fans of each of them.......now stixking to DBZ.

2. Just because Toei got to something first doesn't automatically make every voice choice they made the 'way it should be.'
Did I mention Toei? Did I mention any of Batman's other voices?

Answer my question. Would Batman with a retard's voice sound appropriate for you?

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:55 pm

Maybe if it was Grant Morrison's Batman.

Can I get a Schemen?

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:56 pm

You are asking me this question BASED on the JP voice, if Funi was the first one to do a voice for him, I doubt people would have this big of a problem. & I added a 3rd point to that post.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:58 pm

LeprikanGT wrote:You are asking me this question BASED on the JP voice, if Funi was the first one to do a voice for him, I doubt people would have this big of a problem. & I added a 3rd point to that post.
Again, FUNimation is not adapting the manga. I doubt they read the manga. All they're looking at is the TV show they're doing an English version of. That includes the voices.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/29/24!)
Current Episode: Attack of the Member Berries - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 3