"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sintzu
Banned

Re: Super's manga by Toyotarō

Post by sintzu » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:01 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:While akira toriyama wrote super, how much control does he have ?
If he didn't have full control then I doubt he'd bother to work on it.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:06 pm

They said he turned in the plot for the series, that doesn't mean he's doing full scripts like he did the films though. I'd actually be surprised if this has the same Toriyama level feel to it that Battle of Gods and Resurrection F did.

Toyble on the other hand is probably just adapting the material provided by the script or whatever, same as he did for Resurrection F. So very little room to do stuff of his own with the series.
Last edited by TheDevilsCorpse on Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:09 pm

I'm just gonna redirect it to my actual address/actual city and worry about the waiving signatures when I get that far; I just want to make sure they have the right house before anything else.

EDIT:

Redirected and also changing delivery date (which is free, so I figure why not) a couple days later when I know I'll be home to receive the package.

This is semi-stressful, I'm definitely just making sure I hit CDJapan before they run out of copies next time.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:38 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:They said he turned in the plot for the series, that doesn't mean he's doing full scripts like he did the films though.
Of course not,no one man can write an entire series on his own.

I was talking about him having full control on the story's main plot points.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:54 pm

Chuquita wrote:I'm just gonna redirect it to my actual address/actual city and worry about the waiving signatures when I get that far; I just want to make sure they have the right house before anything else.

EDIT:

Redirected and also changing delivery date (which is free, so I figure why not) a couple days later when I know I'll be home to receive the package.

This is semi-stressful, I'm definitely just making sure I hit CDJapan before they run out of copies next time.
You could also go through kinokuniya, they offer a subscription service, but you need to email them about it. They charge around $100 for a 6 month subscription to V-Jump.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:17 pm

UpFromTheSkies wrote:
Chuquita wrote:I'm just gonna redirect it to my actual address/actual city and worry about the waiving signatures when I get that far; I just want to make sure they have the right house before anything else.

EDIT:

You could also go through kinokuniya, they offer a subscription service, but you need to email them about it. They charge around $100 for a 6 month subscription to V-Jump.
Good to know. I will consider it. (My nearest Kino is about 2 hours away, which isn't impossible, but still kind of a drive.)

I think(?) I'm squared away with DHL. I fixed the address and county, rescheduled the delivery for the one weekday this week I know I'll be home, and clicked the 'if I'm not here you have my permission to leave the box w/o a signature.' button just in case it arrives during that one window of time where I might not be home that day.

I'll update later this week on the day I scheduled with the results.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:38 pm

I didn't know that about dhl. That's good to know. You're getting it tomorrow?? Mine wont be here till the 21st.

Debating on if I should stick with amazon or CD Japan. Amazon seems a bit faster

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:24 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:I didn't know that about dhl. That's good to know. You're getting it tomorrow?? Mine wont be here till the 21st.

Debating on if I should stick with amazon or CD Japan. Amazon seems a bit faster
Amazon.jp said Wednesday. DHL said Tuesday on the website, Monday in the text I got. I rescheduled for it later in the week on a day where I know I'll be home. I've never used them before and I'm worried about it:
-not getting to my house after I saw DHL listed me at the wrong county despite Amazon listing the correct address. I submitted information to have it corrected and hope it goes through.
-not being home to sign it and getting a notice telling me to pick it up at their warehouse or something which I can't do because of how far away their two warehouses in my state are from my home. When I submitted the request to have it rescheduled it had a checkbox that let me have it dropped off without a signature just in case I'm not there.
-them still dropping it off at the wrong house and with me saying I don't need to sign them leaving it at that wrong house.
-them not getting any of the information I updated at all.

@_@

Worst case scenario I'm out an item that I paid for and the $15.00 I paid for it; but it shouldn't have to come to that (I truly hope it doesn't come to that).
Best case scenario it arrives at my house the day I rescheduled it for at a time when I'm home.

I'll definitely update with a post once things happen.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:51 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:Are they going to gloss over the movies (the actual fights), or are we going to basically re-watch them at some point in the show??
It seems like they're rewriting them into the series so chances are we'll get those fights but hopefully they alongside the stories will be different enough from their movie counterparts so it won't feel like they're wasting time.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:08 am

V-Jumps are released monthly right, so that means one chapter a month? Meaning the anime is is gonna be waaay ahead of the manga, which I guess shouldn't matter because the latter is based on the former anyway. Soooo They're really wouldn't be any need for like "Filler" , since the original is the cartoon this time, unless Toyble decides to take some unnecessarily liberties?
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:35 am

I just watched the Jump Special again after reading the new manga chapter. They're surprisingly compatible. The Jump Special takes place 2 years after the defeat of Buu. At that time, Goku had yet to receive money from Mr. Satan, and Gohan and Videl definitely weren't married. So since Goku does receive money and Gohan and Videl are getting married in Super, it's probably safe to say it takes place at least 2 years after the defeat of Buu.

What do you guys think?

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:27 am

LuckyCat wrote:I just watched the Jump Special again after reading the new manga chapter. They're surprisingly compatible. The Jump Special takes place 2 years after the defeat of Buu. At that time, Goku had yet to receive money from Mr. Satan, and Gohan and Videl definitely weren't married. So since Goku does receive money and Gohan and Videl are getting married in Super, it's probably safe to say it takes place at least 2 years after the defeat of Buu.

What do you guys think?
Yeah, I was thinking about that. Given everyone's clothes too, they all fit either on SJAT special or BoG, yes. I guess they *could* retcon the amount of years Beerus was sleep.
Check out Journey's End, a short story of Goku and Vegeta's final days. "Time is running out for the last two Saiyans"

KameRule
Beyond Newbie

Post by KameRule » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:52 am

Wow, the art style is quite nice. It looks a little strange but I'm sure I'll get used to it.
Master, the batteries inside your Wii Remote are nearly depleted.

Master, there is a 98% chance that the floor is beneath you.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:37 pm

LuckyCat wrote:I just watched the Jump Special again after reading the new manga chapter. They're surprisingly compatible. The Jump Special takes place 2 years after the defeat of Buu. At that time, Goku had yet to receive money from Mr. Satan, and Gohan and Videl definitely weren't married. So since Goku does receive money and Gohan and Videl are getting married in Super, it's probably safe to say it takes place at least 2 years after the defeat of Buu.

What do you guys think?
Ah, that makes it clear then, 2008 Special followed by Super and later as the story progresses, the movies.

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:59 pm

Cold Skin wrote:

What do you guys think?
Ah, that makes it clear then, 2008 Special followed by Super and later as the story progresses, the movies.
If that's how it goes and there is no rewriting involved, I'll be perfectly happy with it :D
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:16 pm

What do you guys think?
I don't think so. I think Super just takes place some months after Buu.
Doesn't make sense Satan get the world peace award for beating Buu just 2 years later.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:28 pm

So Super is a changed up retelling of BoG? Strange...

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:41 pm

It seems to be a hodgepodge of all the post Buu Arc elements we've had since the series ended. So far we have:

--Goku and Goten, Goku farming and Gyumao running out of money from the JSAT special
--Other character outfits (at least in the splash art), Beerus and Whis from Battle of Gods
--New Super exclusive elements like the new characters of Champa and Girl!Whis
--And official word from Toei that we'll at least make our way to Resurrection F content.

If it's honestly a retelling, I have to wonder if we might get to see characters like Abo, Kado and Tarble worked into the F content once we get there instead of their own special?
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:44 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:I don't think so. I think Super just takes place some months after Buu.
Doesn't make sense Satan get the world peace award for beating Buu just 2 years later.
On the other hand, it would be really weird for Gohan and Videl to get married while still attending high school. I thought about the world peace money, and it's also odd in its own way. If everyone's memory of Buu got erased, should Mr. Satan still be getting prize money for defeating Buu? I'll have to wait a few days to see the Japanese text, but I think there's going to be a retcon here or there either way.
Last edited by LuckyCat on Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:53 pm

Super is so much more confusing than I feel it should be right now. I wish they'd just come out and bluntly explain what's going on so we wouldn't be left guessing.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!