DragonBall Z Abridged

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:19 am

Tweaker wrote:You could always try a different website. DailyMotion and Viddler are pretty decent alternatives, and as far as I can tell they have nowhere near as many issues with videos being taken down.
It's still just another variation on security through obscurity. It doesn't change the fact that, for all intents and purposes, "we" don't have any rights or justifications for putting up this "stuff", and YouTube is a convenient place to go after it all because it's got the traffic.

(SEE: Macs starting to get hit with viruses/worms/trojans now that there's a critical user base)
Maphisto86 wrote:I wonder if they have hired staff just for that purpose? :lol:
No need to laugh, because it's entirely true. They have.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:31 am

KaiserNeko wrote:Alright, guys. Toei Animation is putting their foot down in a bad way right now, with account after account suffering from their iron fist. This may put an immediate halt to future releases. Do not take this as we're not going to still work on them. we just won't be uploading them to Youtube until we can work out an optimal plan.

Sorry, guys. We may try and hook you up personally when Episode 11's done, if we can.
That really sucks.

Only thing I can think of is get your own website. It won't magically solve all the legal issues but it's better than staying at a place that won't fight for your rights.
If challenge had a taste, you'd be quite delicious.

Tweaker
Regular

Post by Tweaker » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:39 am

VegettoEX wrote:
Tweaker wrote:You could always try a different website. DailyMotion and Viddler are pretty decent alternatives, and as far as I can tell they have nowhere near as many issues with videos being taken down.
It's still just another variation on security through obscurity. It doesn't change the fact that, for all intents and purposes, "we" don't have any rights or justifications for putting up this "stuff", and YouTube is a convenient place to go after it all because it's got the traffic.
Oh, believe me, I'm well aware; I just think it's kind of futile to give up on doing something you enjoy just because it happens to use portions of copyrighted material with no intent to make a profit and to help spread awareness of the series through parody, which for all intents of purposes is--or at least should be-supported under fair use.

Copyright law has always been very shaky when it comes to things like this. I know they have every right under the law, technically speaking, but I think there's an ethical element that plays a part too. They may be legally entitled to take these videos down, but I think it's being more detrimental than not--especially when it comes to Dragon Ball Z Abridged. It's not like they're making a profit or benefiting in any way; they're just having a bit of fun.

So, yeah... it may be avoiding the core issue at hand, but it's better than giving up and stopping production if you ask me.

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:44 am

JAPPO wrote:That really sucks.

Only thing I can think of is get your own website. It won't magically solve all the legal issues but it's better than staying at a place that won't fight for your rights.
I doubt TeamFourStar wants to be threatened with legal action directly :P

I do think, however, that releasing the episodes (past, present and future) as torrents would be nice for people like me who enjoy keeping them on local storage. Plus, the decentralized nature would make it less prone to attack. Sort of.

-Corey

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:59 am

MajinVejitaXV wrote:I do think, however, that releasing the episodes (past, present and future) as torrents would be nice for people like me who enjoy keeping them on local storage. Plus, the decentralized nature would make it less prone to attack. Sort of.
Isn't that less of a legal grey area? Thats direct distribution of copyrighted work, seems like even worse of an offense than just posting it on YouTube. That and the lack of direct feedback might not be the best moral booster.
They can spread their work like that, then go to forums but they're going to get ten or fifteen comments which will basically be the same thing "oh that was great, can't wait to see more." That's nothing compared to the numbers they'd be seeing with YouTube. It's easier to spend a lot of time making something if you can directly see how many people will watch and enjoy it, I guess.

The problem is (I don't know about TFS, but I'm having the same problem myself along with other DBZ video makers) YouTube is basically the reason we do this. It's the only website that our small community can thrive like it does. Getting stomped on with absolutely no chance of fighting back (because let's face it, we are breaking the law afterall), it just sucks to the highest degree.

Tweaker
Regular

Post by Tweaker » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:28 pm

Innagadadavida wrote:Isn't that less of a legal grey area? Thats direct distribution of copyrighted work, seems like even worse of an offense than just posting it on YouTube. That and the lack of direct feedback might not be the best moral booster.
It's about at this point of ridiculousness that I generally give legality the middle finger. I don't care what argument you make--you're not going to convince me that a parody series that just happens to use footage from a copyrighted work and is distributed for free--in other words, no profit is being made from the creation of this series--is a bad thing and worthy of persistent legal action. That's just fucking stupid.

I do, however, agree on the point that YouTube is an excellent source of consistent feedback and a strong fanbase. It's for that reason that this is such a loss, though I don't see a problem with YouTube videos that just make announcements when new episodes are released and link to the relevant video. Hell, maybe you could even add author commentary! That could be a neat workaround to this debacle. :)

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:52 pm

Tweaker wrote:It's about at this point of ridiculousness that I generally give legality the middle finger. I don't care what argument you make--you're not going to convince me that a parody series that just happens to use footage from a copyrighted work and is distributed for free--in other words, no profit is being made from the creation of this series--is a bad thing and worthy of persistent legal action. That's just fucking stupid.
No profit is being LOST because of TFS either. These aren't actual episodes of the entire show. If someone wants to watch the original series itself, then this is no alternative to purchasing from FUNi or Toei or whatever. It's quite the opposite in fact. It's free advertising, and yet it's getting shot down for no good reason.

There's 'legal,' and then there's 'right.' Targeting and penalizing TeamFourStar for their parodies may be within Toei's legal rights, but it's wrong and stupid.
Dragon Ball ended in 1997.

Remix
Beyond Newbie

Post by Remix » Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:04 pm

I would suggest to TFS that they join up with and help promote DragonFlick. Its a great looking little spot for DB fan parodies. I'm pretty sure the guy who runs the site has attempted to contact TFS, but they either haven't gotten around to responding or they've just ignored him.

http://www.eafpdbaf.com/dragonflick.php

Should really give that a look.
Hi, I'm WeeklyTubeShow. Innagadadavida and I like to make videos.

Perhaps you'd like to see one.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:59 pm

I supose you could always offer links to new episodes to download via MegaUpload or something and have those links passed word of mouth, but that might not fit your needs.
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:45 pm

I have used both Veoh and Dailymotion. They're alright.

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:10 am

My prefered choice is Metacafe. It's the second well known videos website behind Youtube.

Plus, you can download videos from there without 3rd party sites like Keepvid and such.

Also, you get this message from them once you upload a video:

"You are receiving this email because you are a registered user of Metacafe. To stop receiving email notifications of replies to your comments, click here to update your preferences.

Thank you for submitting your video to Metacafe. Your video '[----]' has been processed by our system and is now being distributed to members of the Metacafe Review Panel. Once we complete the review process, we'll notify you on whether or not the video has been accepted by our panel of reviewers. Review process takes two hours on average but may take longer depending on the volume of submissions.

Please do not reply to this email. This mailbox is not monitored and you will not receive a response.
To stop receiving email notifications of the status of your submitted videos, click here to update your preferences.
If you have any questions, contact the Metacafe Help Center here.

Metacafe - Video Entertainment, Powered By You"
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:11 pm

These are all nice alternatives.... but in the end it's just not the same as being on Youtube.
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

Freeza.exe
Beyond Newbie

Post by Freeza.exe » Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:20 pm

SSJ2bardock wrote:These are all nice alternatives.... but in the end it's just not the same as being on Youtube.
That's really not a bad thing.
My friend broke my PSP just in time for Naruto Ultimate Ninja 5 to come out....WHOOOO!

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:22 pm

Freeza.exe wrote:
SSJ2bardock wrote:These are all nice alternatives.... but in the end it's just not the same as being on Youtube.
Losing hundreds of thousands of viewers is never a bad thing, of course.
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

Freeza.exe
Beyond Newbie

Post by Freeza.exe » Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:36 pm

SSJ2bardock wrote:
Freeza.exe wrote:
Thousands of Youtube viewers...no not really. Have you ever looked at the comments? Anyway it's a stretch they wouldn't follow Team Four Star to another video host. :roll:
My friend broke my PSP just in time for Naruto Ultimate Ninja 5 to come out....WHOOOO!

Rod
Regular

Post by Rod » Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:45 pm

Isn't Abridged protected by the parody thingamabob? Same thing happenes with the Nostalgia Critic, so he moved to Blip and he hasn't had any problems.

But I don't even know anything about law, so...yeah

VeggieXD
Beyond Newbie

Post by VeggieXD » Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:29 pm

Remix wrote:I would suggest to TFS that they join up with and help promote DragonFlick. Its a great looking little spot for DB fan parodies. I'm pretty sure the guy who runs the site has attempted to contact TFS, but they either haven't gotten around to responding or they've just ignored him.

http://www.eafpdbaf.com/dragonflick.php

Should really give that a look.
Thanks for posting that Remix, but no I haven't asked TFS yet. However, if you are interested in us hosting TFS we are more than welcome to do so.
DragonFlick Z 2.0 in the works.. if you are a Dragonball Youtuber, feel free to get in touch.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:33 pm

Rod wrote:Isn't Abridged protected by the parody thingamabob?
No, since they're using actual footage and not animating it from scratch. :?

Like Weird Al Yankovic, he has his own band who record with him, it's not like he's got instrumental tracks to work with.

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:03 pm

Freeza.exe wrote:
SSJ2bardock wrote:
Freeza.exe wrote: That's really not a bad thing.
Thousands of Youtube viewers...no not really. Have you ever looked at the comments? Anyway it's a stretch they wouldn't follow Team Four Star to another video host. :roll:
No not thousands, hundreds of thousands. There's a bit of a difference...

Some of their videos even had over 1 million views, so it may actually be millions of viewers from youtube, although I do doubt that just a little bit.
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

Freeza.exe
Beyond Newbie

Post by Freeza.exe » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:04 pm

SSJ2bardock wrote:
Freeza.exe wrote:
SSJ2bardock wrote: Losing hundreds of thousands of viewers is never a bad thing, of course.
No not thousands, hundreds of thousands. There's a bit of a difference...

Some of their videos even had over 1 million views, so it may actually be millions of viewers from youtube, although I do doubt that just a little bit.
facepalm.jpg