DragonBall Z Abridged

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:35 pm

Onikage725 wrote:
Velasa wrote:Weren't those guys going to charge as well for the product? It would have been an awesome game, but I can't help like feeling it could have survived if they hadn't decided to do that.
Nono, that was a vicious rumor spread by a certain person I won't name who was trying to get the project shut down. They had no plans to release ROMs or charge. They were going to distribute a free patch, the same as any other fan project of that nature. I think it is somewhat ironic that SquareEnix goes to such lengths when they have no interest in continuing the series (if certain comments are to be taken seriously), and to my knowledge Nintendo has taken no action against the very large Pokemon mod community. I've come across a half dozen Ruby or FireRed hacks used to recreate the G/S/C generation, and Nintendo actually HAS remakes of that generation in production. Yet those projects continue unmolested.
Yeah, Nintendo isn't really picky about that. As someone who has hacked and still is hacking Pokémon, I can first hand say that... Most Pokémon hacks do NOT get finished. So, Nintendo doesn't seem to care. Plus, most hacks are ones of Generations 1 (Green, Red, Blue, Yellow) 2 (Gold, Silver and Crystal) and 3 (Ruby, Sapphire, FireRed, LeafGreen, and Emerald). Nintendo is currently on Generation 4 (or DS Generation), which is made up of: Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, HeartGold and SoulSilver. So, other than the chance of a Generation 3 hack's Pokémon being traded to a real game, than Pal-Park(ing) it, it doesn't affect Nintendo at all, at this point. Plus, I don't even think the sell even the Generation 3 games in stores anymore.

Even though there's so many tools, hex, and ASM you can do, most just quit. I have, I've attempted a remake of GSC (gave up), now I'm just doing an original story hack (on FireRed), but I'm taking it slowing and only working on it when I have an idea. I remember hacking endlessly to the point where I started getting depressed because either (the game glitched or) I just got stressed from it.

The way hacks are distributed as you said, are not ROM's. The ones used most commonly around the Pokémon hacking community are .IPS files. Which you need a program to patch it to a clean ROM of whichever game the hack's based on. It's up to you to find the ROM yourself.

But, it still baffles me that Square would go after a hack of a property they have absolutely have no interest in going back and doing.

Also, I know it's kinda late to comment on the FAQ, but I had no problem understanding Kaio-sama, and I'm looking forward to the surprise.

kaioken12
Beyond Newbie

Post by kaioken12 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:20 am

As for the FAQ: I had some problems, but it wasn't that bad... but I think especially foreigners might find it hard to understand this one.

This is actually why I was bugging for some kind of transcript (if you guys at TFS have something like that)... or maybe subs, but that would be just more work to do per episode.

I can say that much: When I am watching DBZA with friends, they tend to understand most of the sentences, but they don't catch some good jokes (not because of lacking the proper vocabulary, just because the sentences are spoken fast or a bit... cloudy for people who don't speak english natively).

To sum it up, I don't want to critize it in a way of saying "everything is just bad and you guys can't even properly dub it!!!11!", it's really meant to be a constructive critism ;)

KaiserNeko
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by KaiserNeko » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:56 am

VeggieXD wrote:
Remix wrote:I would suggest to TFS that they join up with and help promote DragonFlick. Its a great looking little spot for DB fan parodies. I'm pretty sure the guy who runs the site has attempted to contact TFS, but they either haven't gotten around to responding or they've just ignored him.

http://www.eafpdbaf.com/dragonflick.php

Should really give that a look.
Thanks for posting that Remix, but no I haven't asked TFS yet. However, if you are interested in us hosting TFS we are more than welcome to do so.
Alrighty, get a hold of me on AIM at Kaiser0120. We'll talk about it there, I'm heavily considering this as an optional release outlet.

As for the surprise, well... It may be postponed to Youmacon. It'll work better, anyway, if it premieres after Episode 11 and possibly Episode 12.

Lastly, I want to ask a question, and think of this as a poll of sorts.

Who thinks we should keep Cha-La and just change the visuals and who wants a new song?

Do not take this as a vote that will decide what will happen, but as a poll to help me gauge your opinions. I already have the next song in mind, but we're actually considering just sticking with Cha-La again with new visuals to accompany it. Honestly, it would be more fitting to the show as well.
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

Tweaker
Regular

Post by Tweaker » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:32 am

I think it makes sense to keep using the theme song until it changes in at the proper point in the actual show. Just my opinion, though.

Freeza.exe
Beyond Newbie

Post by Freeza.exe » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:36 am

If I had a choice I'd pick same song, Freeza saga visuals.
My friend broke my PSP just in time for Naruto Ultimate Ninja 5 to come out....WHOOOO!

hui43210
Not-So-Newbie

Post by hui43210 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:56 am

KaiserNeko wrote:
VeggieXD wrote:
Remix wrote:I would suggest to TFS that they join up with and help promote DragonFlick. Its a great looking little spot for DB fan parodies. I'm pretty sure the guy who runs the site has attempted to contact TFS, but they either haven't gotten around to responding or they've just ignored him.

Thanks for posting that Remix, but no I haven't asked TFS yet. However, if you are interested in us hosting TFS we are more than welcome to do so.
Alrighty, get a hold of me on AIM at Kaiser0120. We'll talk about it there, I'm heavily considering this as an optional release outlet.

As for the surprise, well... It may be postponed to Youmacon. It'll work better, anyway, if it premieres after Episode 11 and possibly Episode 12.

Lastly, I want to ask a question, and think of this as a poll of sorts.

Who thinks we should keep Cha-La and just change the visuals and who wants a new song?

Do not take this as a vote that will decide what will happen, but as a poll to help me gauge your opinions. I already have the next song in mind, but we're actually considering just sticking with Cha-La again with new visuals to accompany it. Honestly, it would be more fitting to the show as well.
If the other song you are thinking of is dan-dan, PLEASE stick with cha-la. If it is we got power, then I would be more open to the change.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:07 am

What if you started using Movie ending themes as the Seasons progress?

I'd rather you stuck to Cha La Head Cha La with different visuals actually.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:36 am

My vote of course goes to "CHA-LA HEAD-CHA-LA" because it shows an enjoyment of and appreciation for the original Japanese version, all-the-while primarily using FUNimation's dub as the basis for the performances.

It's a tiny element (since it doesn't affect the in-episode production), but it speaks volumes. Personally, I'd take it much less seriously if anything else was used to open it.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:22 am

Why don't you use a different VERSION of "Cha-La"?
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Remix
Beyond Newbie

Post by Remix » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:24 am

My vote goes to Cha-La Head-Cha-La with different visuals. In the Frieza saga it was still Cha-La, so yeah.
Hi, I'm WeeklyTubeShow. Innagadadavida and I like to make videos.

Perhaps you'd like to see one.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:55 am

I certainly wouldn't mind a different Japanese song (Dragon Soul, maybe?), but I can easily do with Cha La. How about throwing in some Freeza visuals and a glimpse of you-know-what, if only for the sake of being magical!
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

VenomSymbiote
Patreon Supporter

Post by VenomSymbiote » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:12 pm

Okay.... Now, I have to vote one thing here, and this is probably gonna enflame everybody, but, me being me, I have to say it.

Can you give us dub fans a bone here, and use the Faulconer opening, at least once? I was planning on emailing you guys about this, but, well, here you went and asked. That would be great. I mean, I love the voices and all, but I'd like at least a little dub music here and there. I mean, you used the Japanese music in the Kamehameha vs. Galick Gun scene right? How about vice-versa?

In the event that you guys don't, let's see...

Well, the next best thing for me would be Dragon Soul, I suppose. It's one of the few Japanese songs I like. A change in visuals would be very nice as well.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:17 pm

My vote also goes to continuing with Cha-La while using new visuals. If anything, just switch to We Gotta Power once you hit the Buu arc.
Dragon Ball ended in 1997.

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:19 pm

I vote the opening to Budokai 2 like you originally planned. :D

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:33 pm

Big Momma wrote:Why don't you use a different VERSION of "Cha-La"?
This is a nice alternative.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

VeggieXD
Beyond Newbie

Post by VeggieXD » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:58 pm

KaiserNeko wrote:
VeggieXD wrote:

Erm, I don't have AIM. Do you happen to have Skype or MSN? Or we could talk about this through the PM system.

EDIT: But my friend Trixen has AIM, he said he can pass messages through if you wish.
DragonFlick Z 2.0 in the works.. if you are a Dragonball Youtuber, feel free to get in touch.

KaiserNeko
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by KaiserNeko » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:21 pm

VenomSymbiote wrote:Okay.... Now, I have to vote one thing here, and this is probably gonna enflame everybody, but, me being me, I have to say it.

Can you give us dub fans a bone here, and use the Faulconer opening, at least once? I was planning on emailing you guys about this, but, well, here you went and asked. That would be great. I mean, I love the voices and all, but I'd like at least a little dub music here and there. I mean, you used the Japanese music in the Kamehameha vs. Galick Gun scene right? How about vice-versa?

Well, the next best thing for me would be Dragon Soul, I suppose. It's one of the few Japanese songs I like. A change in visuals would be very nice as well.
Sorry, man. I grew up with the Japanese music. To me, the dub music is an alien element that I neither appreciate nor enjoy. In short, you can pretty much expect the dub music to never be used... with a small exception of a certain character's theme, in the Cell Saga, but that'll be used for humor anyway.
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

VenomSymbiote
Patreon Supporter

Post by VenomSymbiote » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:23 pm

KaiserNeko wrote:
VenomSymbiote wrote:Okay.... Now, I have to vote one thing here, and this is probably gonna enflame everybody, but, me being me, I have to say it.

Sorry, man. I grew up with the Japanese music. To me, the dub music is an alien element that I neither appreciate nor enjoy. In short, you can pretty much expect the dub music to never be used... with a small exception of a certain character's theme, in the Cell Saga, but that'll be used for humor anyway.
Ah, I see... Alright, then.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:24 pm

While we're on the subject of music, I'd like to push for more inclusion of the JPN BGM score, or rather should I say would encourage further use of it at the feline one's discretion.
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:25 pm

Innagadadavida wrote:I vote the opening to Budokai 2 like you originally planned. :D
I was going to say just keep Cha La Head Cha La, until I saw this. Very yes, the Budokai 2 intro song is just pure awesome, while keeping that aspect of the Japanese original that the intro has. :)
-Laserkid