Kai Continues Outside Japan

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Re: Kai Continues Outside Japan

Post by Cold Skin » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:18 pm

CaBrPi wrote: He was talking about dividing the Buu saga into "seasons".

I'm guessing he divides them like so:

Freeza:
Saiyan
Namek
Freeza

Cell:
Androids
Cell
Cell Games

Or something along those lines. I definitely see what he's saying there.

Cold Skin, if I were to do that, I'd probably do something like this:

Tournament (Great Saiyaman to Vegeta's sacrifice)
Buu (Post-Vegeta up to Buu's split)
Fusion (Buu's split to end)

Or something.
What you mention is exactly what I did, and probably what I'll do, thanks! 8)
Although it doesn't seem very epic compared to previous season endings, Buu's split is probably the best way to go to have a season ending indeed: it does have that "problems were about to be solved, but suddenly there's a new threat" feel. I can't see any better moment afterwards anyway, so I'll probably use exactly what you proposed.
kei17 wrote:
ThunderPX wrote:Saiyan Blood was the only Kai insert song Yamamoto was involved in, hence why the others haven't been cut from later releases and airings.
News of the Cell Game also is his.
I didn't care much for Saiyan Blood being taken out since it was used in a weird moment anyway (I mean a moment that has nothing really special).
But taking out News of the Cell Game did have a negative impact on the scene, cause it was really great with that song, and it seemed dull in comparison when it was set back to a classic track.

Anyway, I'm relieved to see that on the contrary of what I thought, many other people than Yamamoto can compose potential insert songs, so it doesn't rule out the possibility to have new songs in the upcoming episodes.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:38 pm

Maybe FUNi will put out "Yo Son Goku and Friends Return" under the DragonBall Kai name.

OK, probably not, but hey, it's totally possible right now.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:52 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:Maybe FUNi will put out "Yo Son Goku and Friends Return" under the DragonBall Kai name.

I'm hoping Namco Bandai includes it on DBZ 2013 game (whatever the yearly game is next year).

"Dragon Ball Z Kai: Goku and Friends Return" just no. Plus the animation was updated unlike Kai.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

ultimateemail5000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ultimateemail5000 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:47 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:Maybe FUNi will put out "Yo Son Goku and Friends Return" under the DragonBall Kai name.

I would totally rather see that in between after the defeat of Buu, and the last main episodes than the party get together thing they had with Goku watching dinosaur eggs.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:42 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:I'm hoping Namco Bandai includes it on DBZ 2013 game (whatever the yearly game is next year).

"Dragon Ball Z Kai: Goku and Friends Return" just no. Plus the animation was updated unlike Kai.
Ack, no, no no no. I really hope they quit doing these game-only releases for the newer animations. It makes it impossible for me to get them legally since I don't have a PS3 or a 360, and even if I did, I'd much rather have my animated products on my shelf with the rest of my DVDs, than in the drawer with my games.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:08 pm

Cold Skin wrote: 2) How the hell am I going to divide this saga into three seasons like I did for the two previous arcs?
Just wondering, what are these seasons for? Some sort of fan work?

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:58 am

Fizzer wrote:
Cold Skin wrote: 2) How the hell am I going to divide this saga into three seasons like I did for the two previous arcs?
Just wondering, what are these seasons for? Some sort of fan work?
No, it's no big deal.

When I show Kai to other people, they tend to be easily discouraged if they see the next story will take 50 episodes, when they're used to regular shows being slightly more than 20 episodes until "the next step in the story". They'll be like "God, they finally seem close to beating Vegeta and yet there's like 35 episodes left before that part of the story is done... I don't know how much more I can take such a long story". So I have to sneakily make clear that the plots evolves very much way before the end of a whole arc, and it seems to work perfectly since then.

It makes them a lot more excited and optimistic when it's divided into less-than-twenty episodes seasons stating clearly where the main mission is at this point and when there is a major twist in the situation that "renews" the whole plot and changes some major factors. The "end of season" episode announcing everything's been settled or annoucing the next objective tends to make them excited to proceed to the "next season" too.

So it's all there, it just helps keeping the vibe up for my friends and family, make them feel they're really moving forwards in the story, just like for a regular show. It also allows them to "take a break" from the show if they want when there is a good transition for it, not in the middle of events.

So instead of huge "Freezer arc" and "Cell arc", I tend to announce the episodes as:
S1: Saiyan Invasion (ends with the victory against the Saiyan invasion that's been the subject of all episodes so far, announces the aftermath: quest on another planet). - 17 EPISODES.
S2: Quest For the Original Dragon Balls (all the alliances and betrayals on Namek to find the Dragon Balls, ends with the wishes granted, announces Freezer's bigger-than-ever battle). - 19 EPISODES.
S3: Super Saiyan of the Legend (a whole season for the final battle of the arc - and biggest fight so far -, ends with everything back to normal and Goku will return soon). - 18 EPISODES.
S4: Rise of the Cyborgs (focused on the future threat of cyborgs, ends with the mystery around Cell finally revealed in the last double-episode and his escape, changing the main mission into stopping this unexpected threat). - 16 EPISODES.
S5: Evolutions (focused on the evolutions searched and tested by the Super Saiyans as well as the evoultion of Cell - both throughout the season -, ends with the defeat of one type of evolution against the other, and the announcement of the Cell Game). - 13 EPISODES.
S6: Cell Game (a whole season for the final battle of the arc, reveals the impressive teen Gohan in the first episode, ends with peace restored and dead Goku passing on the torch to his son). - 14 EPISODES.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:03 pm

Bah. As far as I'm concerned, DBZ has four arcs: Saiyans, Freeza, Cell, Buu.

I don't like those "Namek"/"Freeza" divisions. Anything to do with the Namek material is Freeza-related. Freeza is the villain of that arc. It gets really annoying when people even use a "Ginyu Saga". No. It all has to do with Freeza.

With the Artificial Humans, you might have an argument for distinctions, but it all ultimately leads up to Cell. Of course, you have to ask, where does the Freeza arc end and the Cell arc begin? I say the arrival of Freeza onto Earth is the beginning of the Cell arc.

It's worse in Buu, when people do things like "Fusion Saga" and "Super Buu Saga". Or "Kid Buu Saga". It's Buu. Just Buu arc.

And the "sagas" (call it a story arc, damn it) change depending on who you ask. Even Toei can't keep it consistent.

I wish we could all agree with a naming convention on these. I'll be talking about how the Cell arc is my favorite, and somebody will say the Android (Artificial Human) Saga is theirs, and I'll tell them it's the same arc, and they disagree, and it's a big to do.

The word "saga" makes me sad. It's all one saga, guys.
Last edited by penguintruth on Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:10 pm

For me it's like this:

Saiyan arc
Namek arc
Freeza arc
Artificial Humans arc
Cell arc
High School arc
25th Tenkaichi Budokai arc
Majin Boo arc
28th Tenkaichi Budokai arc

But if you were to ask me for a simpler division, then it would be:

Saiyan arc
Freeza arc
Cell arc
Majin Boo arc
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:47 pm

penguintruth wrote:Bah. As far as I'm concerned, DBZ has four arcs: Saiyans, Freeza, Cell, Buu.

I don't like those "Namek"/"Freeza" divisions. Anything to do with the Namek material is Freeza-related. Freeza is the villain of that arc. It gets really annoying when people even use a "Ginyu Saga". No. It all has to do with Freeza.

With the Artificial Humans, you might have an argument for distinctions, but it all ultimately leads up to Cell. Of course, you have to ask, where does the Freeza arc end and the Cell arc begin? I say the arrival of Freeza onto Earth is the beginning of the Cell arc.

It's worse in Buu, when people do things like "Fusion Saga" and "Super Buu Saga". Or "Kid Buu Saga". It's Buu. Just Buu arc.

And the "sagas" (call it a story arc, damn it) change depending on who you ask. Even Toei can't keep it consistent.

I wish we could all agree with a naming convention on these. I'll be talking about how the Cell arc is my favorite, and somebody will say the Android (Artificial Human) Saga is theirs, and I'll tell them it's the same arc, and they disagree, and it's a big to do.

The word "saga" makes me sad. It's all one saga, guys.
I personally would call the Cell arc the Android arc since he is an android. Also Cell wasn't introduced until later, which is why I think the Androids arc makes the most sense since it is about all the androids until Cell headlines.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

omegalucas
Advanced Regular

Post by omegalucas » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:17 pm

Consider a season beggining the moment they change the music for the title cards. I noticed they did it in the beggining of the Cell Games (in the Kikuchi version). I don't know if they did it before or not but I only started to watch Kai closely during the Cell arc (when the Portuguese subs went from absolutely abysmal to really accurate). :P
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Kanzenshuu! We annoy voice actors, get composers fired....and occasionally talk about Dragon Ball

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:36 pm

Kai originally ended in 2011, so returning in 2013 and with the new DBZ film this Kai arc might actually be completely new (new animation + new music).

It would be disappointing if it had the same limited amount of Kikuchi tracks it did for Saiyan-Cell.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:48 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:Kai originally ended in 2011, so returning in 2013 and with the new DBZ film this Kai arc might actually be completely new (new animation + new music).

It would be disappointing if it had the same limited amount of Kikuchi tracks it did for Saiyan-Cell.
It would be disappointing if it had some old Kikuchi tracks at all.

Kai is supposed to have new music, it's part of its concept, the Kikuchi old score was an emergency situation.
But now they have time, there's no excuse for them to not hire a composer and have new music (I'd like Takaki, but I won't mind Kikuchi or other composers, as long as it's not the old score...).

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:04 pm

As much as I love Kikuchi's score, I don't want it in Kai. Having is in it gives the feeling of watching same old DBZ, and not to mention it sounds old for the "new" DBKai.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:21 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:As much as I love Kikuchi's score, I don't want it in Kai. Having is in it gives the feeling of watching same old DBZ, and not to mention it sounds old for the "new" DBKai.
Exactly! 8)
That emergency replacement was already a pain in itself, taking out one of the new aspects from Kai.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:24 pm

If Toei Animation is going to use Shunsuke Kikuchi, hire him for new DB BGMs or use the Synthesized BGMs from RB1-UB.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:23 pm

I think the problem of Kikuchi music placement in Kai is wildly exaggerated. It's actually really good in many episodes. But I can understand why people would want new music.

But imagine if there was new Kikuchi music! Though I don't think Kikuchi has done a new score for anime in quite awhile. Not really holding my breath. Remember, this is Toei we're dealing with.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:36 pm

On the subject of "new Kikuchi music", most thought Buu Kai would never happen. So it goes to show you should never stop believing.
penguintruth wrote: With the Artificial Humans, you might have an argument for distinctions, but it all ultimately leads up to Cell.
I consider the Saiyan portion part of the Freeza arc for pretty much the same reason.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:45 pm

gmster wrote:The rumor is Funimation, Ocean, and Saban all chipped in to fund it. In Saban's case, that makes sense. Exclusive new Buu!Kai episodes would do well to boost the profile of their somewhat-struggling Vortexx block.
While this explanation would make sense, is there a source for this?
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:06 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:As much as I love Kikuchi's score, I don't want it in Kai. Having is in it gives the feeling of watching same old DBZ
But that's the exact reason I prefer Kikuchi in Kai. I thought the point of Kai was to improve the pacing, not make it a "new" show. :?
penguintruth wrote:I think the problem of Kikuchi music placement in Kai is wildly exaggerated. It's actually really good in many episodes
Yeah, I feel the same way. There are moments with awkward pieces at times, but it's not over 50% of the time as most people would suggest.

I highly doubt we'll be getting new music, but it would be nice if Toei would secure the rights or whatever for the rest of the music that they have access to.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash