"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheMikado
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by TheMikado » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:25 pm

emperior wrote:I’ve been re-reading the manga lately and, honestly, Toyotaro must fix his necks as soon as possible. Black in particular looks like shit, because of that enormous neck of his and that stupid grin Toyotaro always gives him.
Just look at Volume 4 cover to see what I’m talking about. Merged Zamasu is the major offender as he doesn’t even have a neck, he only has muscles where his neck should be for how Toyotaro draws him.
The guy always checks Toriyama’s manga, how come he doesn’t realize he is getting necks wrong?! And when he draws SSG, he actually makes the neck thinner, this shows that Toyotaro can draw necks but he doesn’t realize he is messing them up. I hope someone will point it out to him. I like his art by the way, he’s definitely improved in these years, but he absolutely needs to fix the anatomy of his characters.

Apart from the necks, the callbacks and the homages, I also dislike how he had Bulma and co. discuss time travel before Trunks even appeared. It was quite stupid.
The weirder thing is that Toriyama reviews his work and the books have redraws based on Toriyamas critiques so obviously Toriyamas must not have complained or is fine with Toyotarōs necks or they would have changed by now.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:49 pm

TheMikado wrote:
emperior wrote:I’ve been re-reading the manga lately and, honestly, Toyotaro must fix his necks as soon as possible. Black in particular looks like shit, because of that enormous neck of his and that stupid grin Toyotaro always gives him.
Just look at Volume 4 cover to see what I’m talking about. Merged Zamasu is the major offender as he doesn’t even have a neck, he only has muscles where his neck should be for how Toyotaro draws him.
The guy always checks Toriyama’s manga, how come he doesn’t realize he is getting necks wrong?! And when he draws SSG, he actually makes the neck thinner, this shows that Toyotaro can draw necks but he doesn’t realize he is messing them up. I hope someone will point it out to him. I like his art by the way, he’s definitely improved in these years, but he absolutely needs to fix the anatomy of his characters.

Apart from the necks, the callbacks and the homages, I also dislike how he had Bulma and co. discuss time travel before Trunks even appeared. It was quite stupid.
The weirder thing is that Toriyama reviews his work and the books have redraws based on Toriyamas critiques so obviously Toriyamas must not have complained or is fine with Toyotarōs necks or they would have changed by now.
Toriyama probably didn’t even notice how bad Toyotaro draws necks, and he only stepped in to correct that atrocious Zamasu’s drawing, although his intervention was crucial for Toyotaro, as from that point onward he drew some great Zamasu and Shin. If only Toriyama could at least draw a few panels for every character then Toyotaro would use those as reference and his art would improve tremendously. Honestly, if I were Toyotaro, I would ask this to Toriyama.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:04 pm

emperior wrote:
TheMikado wrote:

Toriyama probably didn’t even notice how bad Toyotaro draws necks, and he only stepped in to correct that atrocious Zamasu’s drawing, although his intervention was crucial for Toyotaro, as from that point onward he drew some great Zamasu and Shin. If only Toriyama could at least draw a few panels for every character then Toyotaro would use those as reference and his art would improve tremendously. Honestly, if I were Toyotaro, I would ask this to Toriyama.
No he made multiple comments such as the battle scenes and making it too much like his own work and told his to not draw the battles so cleanly but more “messy” to give them an edgy feel. You can see the comparison redraws which were direct criticism of Toyotarōs art style from Toriyama. Anyway the point I’m making is that Toriyama is at least paying attention to some details in the manga enough to make more than general critiques and Toyotarō is apparently listening as is critiques get applied in the redraws. It would be hard to think that Toriyama is missing the necks or that Toyotarō isn’t listening. I think they can be improved but I don’t think they are seen as problem to be critiqued yet by either. Anyway just pointing out that the critiques that do get brought up and corrected.

Rebel Instinct
Beyond Newbie

Post by Rebel Instinct » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:48 pm

I've heard this criticism on here before, but I honestly don't see what's wrong with the way Toyotaro draws necks. I'm not trying to be contrarian or anything, I just literally don't see the issue. I even pulled up some images on Google to compare. Between a random sampling of panels from both Toriyama's original work and Toyotaro's work from the DBS manga, I'm not really seeing much of a difference. Of course Toyotaro's line work differs from Toriyama's a bit, but the differences in necks are fairly minimal as far as I can see.

There are several panels where Toriyama also drew characters with thick, muscular necks and several where the character's neck isn't even visible. Likewise, several of Toyotaro's panels show characters with clearly defined necks that look perfectly fine - including Goku Black. I certainly haven't seen anything that "looks like shit" or strikes me as being "wrong", at least not any more so than some of Toriyama's drawings. I'd link a few examples, but I'm still pretty new here and I'm not sure what's kosher regarding linking to manga pages. Also, minor nitpick, but Black's grin isn't a real flaw in Toyotaro's work. It's just a character expression you personally don't care for, not something I'd consider stupid or in need of fixing.

To be honest, I agree with TheMikado on this one. Toriyama looks over and corrects Toyotaro's drawings, so if he felt that there was a problem with the way Toyotaro drew necks, he'd have corrected him by how or at least mentioned it in one of their interviews. If Toriyama doesn't see a problem with it, it's probably fine.
The post-Super fandom has ruined my love for Dragon Ball.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:02 pm

-Volume 4 first week sales-

It reached top 5 again.

150,889 copies sold compared to 92.114 copies of Volume 3 first week. It will easily reach the 200k mark, but the 300k goal still didn't happen officially.
I say "officially", because Volume 3 had 236,720 copies in July and since then there wasn't any update, so it's hard to tell if it ended up reaching the 300k mark or not.

On a side note, Yamcha's spin-off sold 78,822 copies.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:04 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:-Volume 4 first week sales-

It reached top 5 again.

150,889 copies sold compared to 92.114 copies of Volume 3 first week. It will easily reach the 200k mark, but the 300k goal still didn't happen officially.
I say "officially", because Volume 3 had 236,720 copies in July and since then there wasn't any update, so it's hard to tell if it ended up reaching the 300k mark or not.

On a side note, Yamcha's spin-off sold 78,822 copies.
Good news.
Thanks for that.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:16 pm

Just for reference these are the sales before it fell off the chart

Dragon Ball Super Volume 1 sold...

30,000 copies after 7 days

Dragon Ball Super Volume 2 sold...

57,000 copies after 3 days
96,000 copies after 10 days

Dragon Ball Super Volume 3 sold...

92,000 copies after 3 days
170,000 copies after 10 days
199,000 copies after 17 days
219,000 copies after 24 days
236,000 copies after 31 days

Dragon Ball Super Volume 4 sold

150,000 copies after 4 days

mfwlegend3
Regular

Post by mfwlegend3 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:12 am

Nice to see those glorious sales. Congratulations, Toyotaro and Toriyama.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:24 am

It's great to see the manga sell this well. Hopefully it'll lead to more pages, better quality & Toyotarou getting more freedom to do what he wants.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:47 am

sintzu wrote:It's great to see the manga sell this well. Hopefully it'll lead to more pages, better quality & Toyotarou getting more freedom to do what he wants.
Any more pages and it'll start shortening other content in V-Jump lol. I don't think we're getting more than we already have

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:58 am

OLKv3 wrote:
sintzu wrote:It's great to see the manga sell this well. Hopefully it'll lead to more pages, better quality & Toyotarou getting more freedom to do what he wants.
Any more pages and it'll start shortening other content in V-Jump lol. I don't think we're getting more than we already have
At this point we're 3/4 what Toriyama used to draw so they should just switch it to a weekly at Shonen jump.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:11 am

Extremely good sales for the manga, and I'm very happy for its success. It even managed to outsell Boruto in the same week it was released in Japan, too.

Great work, Toyotaro.

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:59 am

Lord Beerus wrote:Extremely good sales for the manga, and I'm very happy for its success. It even managed to outsell Boruto in the same week it was released in Japan, too.

Great work, Toyotaro.
I never watched naruto or boruto but I only hear bad things about boruto.
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:06 am

Hawk9211 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:Extremely good sales for the manga, and I'm very happy for its success. It even managed to outsell Boruto in the same week it was released in Japan, too.

Great work, Toyotaro.
Boruto isn't even that bad of a show. It just severely lacks an identity. Boruto doesn't really know what it wants to be.

buutenks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by buutenks » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:43 am

Hawk9211 wrote:

Great work, Toyotaro.
If u want to get into Naruto, read the manga, the anime has endless filler.

Boruto, isnt bad, it is simply boring.

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:31 pm

zThis might turn out to a unreasonable speculation,but I often check toyotaro twitter and based on that I think belmod is going to play a much larger role compared to anime.
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:36 pm

Hawk9211 wrote:zThis might turn out to a unreasonable speculation,but I often check toyotaro twitter and based on that I think belmod is going to play a much larger role compared to anime.
He definitely likes the character and so far that's showing in the manga. He's doing what I wanted Toei to do with Belmond's character. I wouldn't change anything.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:47 pm

buutenks wrote:Boruto, isnt bad, it is simply boring.
Just like Shippuden was, original Naruto is leap and bounds better than both.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

micah007
Not-So-Newbie

Post by micah007 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:45 pm

New Toyotaro insight/information from his JUMPolice interview. More can be found on Herms twitter in case anyone is unaware.

https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/929247795873058818