Episode #0190 (13 September 2009)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:38 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
SparkyPantsMcGee wrote:I have a question though. I have a friend who pirates like their is no tomorrow. Its really getting on my nerves and his "excuse" is always "I have no money, blah blah blah". I understand not having any money but I don't think that justifies what he does. How can I get him to stop?
You can't always change someone's mind. People will do what they do based on the information they have and what they perceive the consequences to be. We spoke at length about justification and entitlement, and that seems to be exactly what's going on.
I know, it's a shame really. He's going to get himself into big trouble some day. Whatever, it's his own damn fault. :(

Again, great podcast.
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

Gozar
Advanced Regular

Post by Gozar » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:18 pm

I'm just gonna lay this out there. With no legal alternative to be able to view Kai, I do feel that I am entitled to watch the Fansubs of Kai. HOWEVER, I will gladly open my wallet to the series if FUNimation obtains the rights to the series. That includes any release style they go about. 13 Episode Box sets. Singles (God forbid >.<). I'll gladly pay for the things I want if I have the means to. Meaning, if there is a legal way to obtain it.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:44 pm

Gozar wrote:I'm just gonna lay this out there. With no legal alternative to be able to view Kai, I do feel that I am entitled to watch the Fansubs of Kai. HOWEVER, I will gladly open my wallet to the series if FUNimation obtains the rights to the series. That includes any release style they go about. 13 Episode Box sets. Singles (God forbid >.<). I'll gladly pay for the things I want if I have the means to. Meaning, if there is a legal way to obtain it.
There is a "legal alternative" to watching Kai -- buy the R2 releases. The fact that it doesn't have subtitles is entirely irrelevant in the legal backing of the argument. You are no more legally "entitled" to watch Kai than you are to steal a pizza from the restaurant across the street from me.

As long as you realize and admit that you are creating completely baseless justifications for yourself... that's totally fine. You are free to do whatever it is that your moral code permits you to do. I just have a major problem with people not manning-up to what it is they're doing, which is one of the things we discussed on the show.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Son Wukong
Regular

Post by Son Wukong » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:16 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
Gozar wrote:I'm just gonna lay this out there. With no legal alternative to be able to view Kai, I do feel that I am entitled to watch the Fansubs of Kai. HOWEVER, I will gladly open my wallet to the series if FUNimation obtains the rights to the series. That includes any release style they go about. 13 Episode Box sets. Singles (God forbid >.<). I'll gladly pay for the things I want if I have the means to. Meaning, if there is a legal way to obtain it.
There is a "legal alternative" to watching Kai -- buy the R2 releases. The fact that it doesn't have subtitles is entirely irrelevant in the legal backing of the argument. You are no more legally "entitled" to watch Kai than you are to steal a pizza from the restaurant across the street from me.
Going by that logic, shouldn't you guys have to delete the mirror downloads for Neko Majin Z and the fellas over at Kanzentai do the same for the Jump Special Manga? Because, you know....there is a way to import those from Japan.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:00 pm

Son Wukong wrote:Going by that logic, shouldn't you guys have to delete the mirror downloads for Neko Majin Z and the fellas over at Kanzentai do the same for the Jump Special Manga? Because, you know....there is a way to import those from Japan.
To be fair, some of those items you couldn't/can't actually readily buy. At the time we did Neko Majin, they were only in weekly/monthly releases that became long-gone within moments.

On the other hand, I never actually said you shouldn't do these sorts of things. I merely said you need to be aware of what it is you're doing, and preferably have at least some sort of moral code you follow. In our case, we came right out and said we're downloading raws of Kai (and have at least the first volume en route to us), and we take down the manga chapters when a domestic release becomes available in any form.

It would be an entirely separate conversation (and far beyond the scope of trying to relate it JUST to DBZ) regarding business models and technological evolutions and innovations. We only barely touched on it during the show.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Bardock the Mexican
Regular

Post by Bardock the Mexican » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:10 pm

I don't see how the fandom is acting like anything other than it is becoming more aware of the Japanese origins of Dragonball/Dragonball Z. I feel that those who know DB/DBZ from dubs are not the worse ones. There are more dubs besides the English ones, and that means not all dubs are bad. The Mexican dub is the most faithful to the original script due to the accuracy. Most of the fans of the Mexican dub are intellegent fans and not like the English dub fans. If you see the Japanese version as being the original, your perspective is one of more or less understanding. Only skiddies don't like subs when it's between subs or English dubs. I mean, really that's what it really is all about.

I think the fandom is just fine the way it is. I am too old fashioned to change my ways just because a few kiddies have decided to change the fandom. We don't have to pander to the under 18 crowd anyway.
Ejercito Zapatista de Liberacion Nacional: Es nuestra palabra sencilla...

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Post by Shiyonasan » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:36 pm

Being a fan that came from having seen the Funimation dub and partially the Ocean dub that is still under 18, I see the Japanese version as being superior to the American dubs. I don't mind those dubs, but only because of nostalgic reasons. I am finding myself at points in the dub cringing because of certain inaccuracies the dub presents, such as mispronunciations of names.

I am embarrassed of how my age group is when it comes to reading subtitles, and for that matter, reading and spelling in general. I sometimes feel like I should have been born 5-10 years earlier than when I was born...

So you don't have to pander to us kids. I don't pander to us either. :P

6 months until I'm 18....
Last edited by Shiyonasan on Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bardock the Mexican
Regular

Post by Bardock the Mexican » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:27 pm

Shiyonasan wrote:Being a fan that came from having seen the Funimation dub and partially the Ocean dub that is still under 18, I see the Japanese version as being superior to the American dubs. I don't mind those dubs, but only because of nostalgic reasons. I am finding myself at points in the dub cringing because of certain inaccuracies the dub presents, such as mispronunciations of names.

I am embarrassed of how my age group is when it comes to reading subtitles, and for that matter, reading and spelling in general. I sometimes feel like I was born 5-10 years after when I should've been born...

So you don't have to pander to us kids. I don't pander to us either. :P

6 months until I'm 18....
Bienvenidos al mundo de los adultos, amigo.
Ejercito Zapatista de Liberacion Nacional: Es nuestra palabra sencilla...

Son Wukong
Regular

Post by Son Wukong » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:36 am

VegettoEX wrote: To be fair, some of those items you couldn't/can't actually readily buy. At the time we did Neko Majin, they were only in weekly/monthly releases that became long-gone within moments.
Yeah I know. That was kind of a low blow.
VegettoEX wrote: On the other hand, I never actually said you shouldn't do these sorts of things. I merely said you need to be aware of what it is you're doing, and preferably have at least some sort of moral code you follow.
And I fully concur. Believe me; I did some shameless acts on my own in the past that affected the DB franchise in a negative way (no matter how small I think it was).
VegettoEX wrote: It would be an entirely separate conversation (and far beyond the scope of trying to relate it JUST to DBZ) regarding business models and technological evolutions and innovations. We only barely touched on it during the show.
Well you guys did manag to cover this topic pretty well in 95 minutes. I think a large portion op people who listened to the podcast could relate himself/herself with at least one of the four people on the podcast.
Last edited by Son Wukong on Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:53 pm

Excellent episode. One thing that shocked me, you didn't mention! What am I speaking about? It's how the Jumpland OFFICIAL site is now hosting Dragonball chapters for download!

Well, nice episode :P.

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:11 pm

Yeah, necropost, blah.

I thought I would I comment on this, as I just found an old Dr. Slump fansub. The sub group was I THINK Nippon Gold Entertainment. (which I did a Google search on. Nothing.) And I found that it was TERRIBLE. It was off sync and things were not "translated". But I enjoyed it raw.

Speaking of Kai, this is why I hate fandom. When I watch a raw episode of Kai on Youtube, I see a comment that says "Where are the subs?". Now, if you know the series, you should what the hell they are saying,

Plus, I LOVED Scott's "Schoolhouse Rock" reference. I love that shiz.

Nice episode.[/u]

NeverRamza
Not-So-Newbie

Post by NeverRamza » Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:22 pm

RoarkVegeta wrote:Yeah, necropost, blah.

I thought I would I comment on this, as I just found an old Dr. Slump fansub. The sub group was I THINK Nippon Gold Entertainment. (which I did a Google search on. Nothing.) And I found that it was TERRIBLE. It was off sync and things were not "translated". But I enjoyed it raw.

Speaking of Kai, this is why I hate fandom. When I watch a raw episode of Kai on Youtube, I see a comment that says "Where are the subs?". Now, if you know the series, you should what the hell they are saying,

Plus, I LOVED Scott's "Schoolhouse Rock" reference. I love that shiz.

Nice episode.[/u]
That's actually Nippon Golden Network. They did the subs that everyone used to watch back in the day for the entire Dragon Ball series as well as the first... 107 I think episodes of DBZ (I'd have to fact check to be sure). The subs for those episodes were so much better. They also subbed the entire Dr. Slump series although sadly most of those tapes have been completely lost with time. The subs weren't great but they usually got the point across. The TV station did many other long running series, many of which were also lost with time.