Japanese numbers for androids

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Sat Feb 07, 2004 1:48 am

number18 wrote: Jakez04, your name in Japanese would be "jeikku," I think. I'm not certain, but I think the doubl consonant is necessary. I know Mark is "Makku." The double consonant signifies a sort of pause in speech. Without the double consonant, each syllable should be given even inflection. For example, Makku sounds like Mark, while Maku sounds like Mac.
I thought if the letter 'r' appears in a word, the vowel is stretched out rather than making the next consonent doubled, i.e. Mark would be "ma-a-ku' rather than 'ma-k-ku' As for how to say "Jake," it's seems pretty odd to have an extended vowel AND a doubled consonent right in a row. I'm not fluent in Japanese, but I can't seem to think of a word that has that combination. I would think it's probably je-e-ku or je-i-ku (my real name is Stacey, and my Japanese teachers don't seem to care either way whether I write it 'su-te-i-shi-i' or 'su-te-e-shi-i', though I usually go for the lazier extending the vowel way ^_^)
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Sat Feb 07, 2004 2:14 am

Zackarotto wrote:Yeah, I always thought of him as Frankenstein's creation. But since everyone else calls him Frankenstein, I do too. I'm just trying to fit in! Is that so wrong?! What kind of world is this where children cannot roam the streets without fear of being smacked for calling that bolt-necked ugly Frankenstein?
Tsk. Be a man! Be a Zackman! Be a Klugman.

No, wait, that's Space Ghost. Sorry.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Sat Feb 07, 2004 10:21 am

In Denmark, Hatchan is named "Otto".

It's actually a pretty good translation, as the danish word for 8 is "otte", which is pronounce exactly the same way as Otto.

Of course, then they go do stupid things, like calling the Jinzoningen "cyborgs". Better than androids, but the fact that #16 is NOT a cyborg is pretty important.

(Jinzoningen Hachigou was called "Monster Number Eight" instead. They aren't too consistent. They also translated "Daimaou" as "Archdevil" in the beginning, before switching to "Archdemon", then back to "Archdevil", and pretty much making themselves look like fools.)

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Sat Feb 07, 2004 1:53 pm

I think it's about time I caught up on my own thread. So, uhm, yeah, Spaceghostyness. And those are some weird translations, Adamant.

Well, I think I've got my writing down for the androids. I'm just going to stick with "#17". But, it's still good to know, seeing as there's always going to be showoffs that spell it out in Japanese. Or maybe these people are just crazy. Yeah, I'll go with the latter. I think it's less offensive to the crazies / showoffs.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Sat Feb 07, 2004 1:55 pm

Exactly!

So why not "Zackarott"? Eh?

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Sat Feb 07, 2004 2:07 pm

Don't even talk to me, you orange haired, purple gloved chin-man.

Meh, while I'm here, I'll just say that Zackarotto is the coolest name evar. It gets the ladies. Take off an o and I lose everything.

Oh, and do you realize how many topics have talked about my name, now? Too many.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Sun Feb 08, 2004 1:08 am

It's either that, or I start talking about Vegeta's male pattern baldness again.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun Feb 08, 2004 1:20 am

What about Nappa's. Anybody else wonder how he lost his hair if Saiyans have healing factors like Wolverine's times 10?
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sun Feb 08, 2004 3:10 am

Hey, has it occured to anyone that perhaps Nappa's just like Kuririn and shaves his head? I know, I know, you're going to say, "But he had hair when he was younger". Well, Nappa's a little low in the I.Q. department, maybe it took him all this time to come up with the idea?

SonGohan-san
Beyond Newbie

Post by SonGohan-san » Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:24 am

Kinda strange that Nappa didn't follow the "all sayians have dark hair" pattern.

I think it's mentioned somewhere that he SHAVES his head and is in fact not permanently bald. I know I've heard that from somewhere.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun Feb 08, 2004 1:56 pm

Son: Yeah he did. :? He had black hair.

Also, it was Krillin who shaved his head. Maybe the dub said it for Nappa.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Wed Feb 11, 2004 6:11 pm

Wouldn't it be "jyuu"? I ask because I used to write it "juu" in romaji, and my sensei would tell me it's wrong, that it's like kyuu with a "j".
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Wed Feb 11, 2004 7:58 pm

The S wrote:Wouldn't it be "jyuu"? I ask because I used to write it "juu" in romaji, and my sensei would tell me it's wrong, that it's like kyuu with a "j".
It varies between styles of romanization. The Hepburn system (which is the most widely used) would write this combination (a "shi" kana with a nigori diacritical mark, followed by a small "yu" and then a full-sized "u") as "juu" or "jû," while Kunree-Siki (or "Kunrei-Shiki," in the Hepburn system) would write it "zyuu." The Hepburn way is closer to how it's pronounced, while the Kunrei-Shiki method makes more linguistic sense ("shi" being in the "i" column and "s" row on kana charts, and becoming "z" with the nigori). 8)

As for people who write it "jyuu," they're just weird. :P
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Daimao
Mr. Subtitles

Post by Daimao » Thu Feb 12, 2004 10:59 pm

Archdemon? Say, I really like that translation.

The name "Eightie" was considered for Hatchan, but had to be dismissed to avoid confusion with "80." Kind of a shame, since it's a pretty good match otherwise.

Vowels don't always get stretched out over Rs. It's a good rule of thumb that an "AR" sound becomes a doubled "A," but there are exceptions (the element argon comes out "a-ru-go-n," for example). Other vowels are even more hit-and-miss.

**(The word "Argon" reached Japanese as a German word, however, so that might explain why this is so)

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Thu Feb 12, 2004 11:10 pm

Daimao wrote:The name "Eightie" was considered for Hatchan, but had to be dismissed to avoid confusion with "80." Kind of a shame, since it's a pretty good match otherwise.
You mean in the dub? You get discussed on dub stuff? Wow. I am uber-impressed.

Professor Daravon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Professor Daravon » Sun Feb 15, 2004 4:28 am

Well, I'm by no means a Japanese expert, but I'll throw my two cents into the "Jake" discussion. Personally I would do it as "jeeki." Reasoning: "cake" in Japanese is "keeki."

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sun Feb 15, 2004 6:36 am

No, I feel it would still be "Jeikku", since if you've seen Cowboy Bebop, Spike's name which also ends with an "e" is pronounced "Supaiku".

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Sun Feb 15, 2004 6:59 pm

Well, semi-Japanese-speaking people, might as well ask. How would Zack be written?

Not that it matters that much... all I need is another nickname. :)

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sun Feb 15, 2004 7:09 pm

I think it would just be "Zakku" wouldn't it?

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun Feb 15, 2004 7:32 pm

Zakku for sure. What about Brian? "Bruryrin"?