Here, have some high level Super DBZ tournament footage.

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dario03
Advanced Regular

Re: Here, have some high level Super DBZ tournament footage.

Post by dario03 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:21 am

Rukura wrote:After seeing that, I can only hope that the rumored "hardcore" game that is being developed for next year is Super DBZ 2..... :cry:
Wait, What!? where are these rumors and please tell me they have a good chance of being true. I would really love another Budokai game or at least something closer to Tenkaichi 2. I've been very dissapointed with DBZ games for a long time now.

Personally I think they should make DBZ games like they make Call of Duty games. Have 2 developers who release a game every 2 years or so but space it out so there is a game every year. 1 year we can get a hardcore fighter with dbz and the following they can release their "oh look at the pretty flashing lights and press x to win" dbz game.

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:35 am

BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:
DonieZ wrote:Damn I wish my PS3 was backwards compatible :x . @Sparky Ehh, so there's an emulator on the PS3? Care to explain a bit more??
As I understand it, the original PS3s had the entire PS2 emotion engine inside the machine; a mini PS2 of sorts. It was later cut down so that PS3 partially emulated the engine off it's own assets.
That is correct. It was a way to shave off production costs and cut down the price of the system.
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

DonieZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DonieZ » Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:09 pm

SparkyPantsMcGee wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:
DonieZ wrote:Damn I wish my PS3 was backwards compatible :x . @Sparky Ehh, so there's an emulator on the PS3? Care to explain a bit more??
As I understand it, the original PS3s had the entire PS2 emotion engine inside the machine; a mini PS2 of sorts. It was later cut down so that PS3 partially emulated the engine off it's own assets.
That is correct. It was a way to shave off production costs and cut down the price of the system.
So is there a way of playing certain PS2 games on the PS3 then, via this emulator you spoke of?

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:29 pm

DonieZ wrote:
So is there a way of playing certain PS2 games on the PS3 then, via this emulator you spoke of?
Not totally clear on how the thing works, but it was only in the late 60gigs and the first 80gig(fat) model. All other models since have nothing to allow playing PS2 games. My recommendation is to just pick up a PS2. They are really cheap these days and they don't take up any room.
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

DonieZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DonieZ » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:27 pm

SparkyPantsMcGee wrote: Not totally clear on how the thing works, but it was only in the late 60gigs and the first 80gig(fat) model. All other models since have nothing to allow playing PS2 games. My recommendation is to just pick up a PS2. They are really cheap these days and they don't take up any room.
Yeah, well actually I haev a PS2, but I thought it'd be much more convenient playing it on my PS3. Ah well, I'll borrow it off my cousin and whenever I have time take out my PS2 which is gathering dust somewhere, and give the game a go with a much more open mind. I never took Super DBZ seriously when I first came across it.

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:26 pm

Hmm, this just piqued my interest, but it seems that there is a vast majority of people that I come across on the web whom own a PS3 rather than a 360. Does everyone here own a PS3?
I have a PS2, a Wii, and I just got a PS3 this Christmas. I would've gotten a 360, but Blu-Ray, free online, more exclusives, and a larger hard drive won me over.

Yeah, PS2 is super cheap now. Replaced my old fat one with a slim one last year after it finally broke down, and it only cost me $50.

Super Saiyajin Luffy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Super Saiyajin Luffy » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:20 am

The game can be somewhat boring, because for my case, I don't have anybody, who plays SDBZ.
No fun to fight against AIs, it's a multiplayer-game. Wishing, that a sequel would made on PS360, so that I can play it with laggy online mode.
DragonBall Xenoverse Fighting Mechanics breakdown
The DragonBall Xenoverse pre-release Q&A and general information post
Rukura about Sparking Omega wrote:I'm imagining people from Namco Bandai looking at these big sites talking about the announcement and them going "Wait....what?! Did we do that? Are we doing that? *turns to Spike* Are you people doing that?"
DB Xenoverse is not a DBZ simulator with fighting elements, it's a semi competent fighting/action game with DBZ simulation elements.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:51 pm

I have a 80gig PS3 (Ps2 Compatible) and I have Super DBZ. So you know what? Its about to go down.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:33 am

SparkyPantsMcGee wrote:
DonieZ wrote:
Not totally clear on how the thing works, but it was only in the late 60gigs and the first 80gig(fat) model. All other models since have nothing to allow playing PS2 games. My recommendation is to just pick up a PS2. They are really cheap these days and they don't take up any room.
Go for the old PS3 system if you can find it, because it upscales the PS2 games and trust me, good sir, they look pretty nice after being upscaled.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:43 am

The only downside of the US release of Super DBZ is that there are no language options. However, if I remember correctly, there is a "vocals" option so you can turn down the volume on the voices. This is nice when you're fighting Freeza and you keep hearing, "Is this a joke?!" every two seconds.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:56 am

Kendamu wrote:The only downside of the US release of Super DBZ is that there are no language options.
Wait, so the Greatest Hits version doesn't add that? Well I guess I can cross that off in the list of things to re-buy.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

Super Saiyajin Luffy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Super Saiyajin Luffy » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:16 pm

AgitoZ wrote:
Kendamu wrote:The only downside of the US release of Super DBZ is that there are no language options.
Wait, so the Greatest Hits version doesn't add that? Well I guess I can cross that off in the list of things to re-buy.
Go and get PAL-Version (Japanese Voices), it has even 60FPS...
DragonBall Xenoverse Fighting Mechanics breakdown
The DragonBall Xenoverse pre-release Q&A and general information post
Rukura about Sparking Omega wrote:I'm imagining people from Namco Bandai looking at these big sites talking about the announcement and them going "Wait....what?! Did we do that? Are we doing that? *turns to Spike* Are you people doing that?"
DB Xenoverse is not a DBZ simulator with fighting elements, it's a semi competent fighting/action game with DBZ simulation elements.

TRL
Beyond Newbie

Post by TRL » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:29 pm

Super Saiyajin Luffy wrote:
AgitoZ wrote:
Go and get PAL-Version (Japanese Voices), it has even 60FPS...
Yes it does! Also the japanese sound effects. I'm from Europe so I never knew the US version, maybe that's the reason I loved it from the start. ;)

Rukura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Rukura » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:09 am

Full checklist of all Xenoverse clothing pieces, accessories and Z-Souls (Many thanks to jrdemr for the Z-Souls sheet): https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8vxc8m0fehev ... .xlsx?dl=0

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:59 pm

I've got this game for PS2, played it awhile ago but the gameplay didn't really satisfy me or make it worthwhile.

Popped in Ultimate Battle 22 and Final Bout on PS1, both of them had a more interesting gameplay and fun than SDBZ, to me.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

dario03
Advanced Regular

Post by dario03 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:44 am

dbboxkaifan wrote:I've got this game for PS2, played it awhile ago but the gameplay didn't really satisfy me or make it worthwhile.

Popped in Ultimate Battle 22 and Final Bout on PS1, both of them had a more interesting gameplay and fun than SDBZ, to me.
Really!?!?! I always thought UB22 was decent if you played against a friend but in SDBZ you can actually combo and its much faster paced. And I never could find one thing good about Final Bout (well the build up mode was addicting). While not as addicting as FB's build up mode I found SDBZ's customization mode to be a better fit for a fighting game.

What is it you don't like about SDBZ? And what is it that you do like about UB22 and Final Bout?

Saiyajin and Juice

Post by Saiyajin and Juice » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:33 am

Why do people keep going for crossups in a game with a block button? Can't you just hold the block button indefinitely and never worry about which side their attack will come on? There must be more to it, because Piccolo players seem to constantly land hits doing ambiguous air crossups.

Iced

Post by Iced » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:12 am

People keep going for crossups because block changes properties depending where you are attacking from. And depending on game, Chip damage( adding slivers of damage to the opponent) and guard gauge breaks( disabling guard by overpowering it ) .

Ub22 a good game?! What?! The game was a port of Dragonball shin butouden for saturn, in the process of converting it to psx they discovered it couldnt handle the same system, so they ripped off every set, replaced it with generic 3d arenas, removed all fx, and converted the animation sprites ( that had been drawn like they would be for the show) into what ammounted to Jpegs, scrambling their quality and scaling them so that every character had the same "size". This resulted in characters like Goten having heads the size of Goku torso and really horrid animations that had no place in any fighting game ever.
Final bout isnt much better, with slow floaty controls and slow hit detection. you could punch vegeta , have him reel from the punch, then slowly pull himself back into a stance before trying to do a 3 second kick... it was really really bad. not to mention that the game even lacked a SAVE feature, so any character you unlocked was gone the next time you started the console, unless you kept putting in the cheat to unlock them.

I played sdbz, I thought it was a great game, I couldnt get some of my friends to play it with me tho, it was too hard for them.
Sdbz 1p mode was horrible, if you wanted to buff up your character you had to go alone against the computer over and over again to win moves and unlock suits. It also had you customizing your character with said, which is mostly a no-no in competitive fighting games. Someone picking up a game for the first time should have as many options as someone who has been playing it for a year. sDbz was hated when it come out, the controls and lack of big fxs made the common dragonball fan hiss and run from it, resulting in the gameplay era we had ever since. Where every character pretty much plays the same and all that matters to fans is who has the biggest powerlevel and what button they should press to win. The last game out is essentially a bunch of Quick time events stringed together, and fans still prefer it to anything more technical , like, lets say Tekken 6 or even SSF4. They will keep on making those games with no skill or gameplay to them for a simple reason, tho. Everyone will keep buying them while complaining that stuff like sdbz "hurts their hands".

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:00 am

Couple things I truly liked about SDBZ:

- Characters' running than floating around
- Cartoony graphics
- Music
- Destructive maps
- Japanese audio + Eng subs

Didn't like the gameplay. :?
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray