Why do you dislike BoG?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Re: Why do you dislike BoG?

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Fri May 31, 2013 8:31 pm

DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:
TheMightyOzaru wrote:Makaioshins are bad guys, you know that right? Dabura is likely a Makaioshin.
Um yeah, but what does that have to do Whis potentially being one? During pre-movie speculation, we had no idea that Whis would turn out the way he did in terms of personality.

Oh, and I'm sure Toriyama hadn't even thought of Makaioshin at the time of making Dabura, but then again he hadn't thought of the Saiyans when he made Goku either. :lol:
Iv'e seen the ending to this movie and nothing implies he's a bad dude. Besides he doesn't look evil, Dabura does.
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePrinceOfSaiyajins
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Fri May 31, 2013 8:33 pm

TheMightyOzaru wrote:
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:
TheMightyOzaru wrote:Makaioshins are bad guys, you know that right? Dabura is likely a Makaioshin.
Um yeah, but what does that have to do Whis potentially being one? During pre-movie speculation, we had no idea that Whis would turn out the way he did in terms of personality.

Oh, and I'm sure Toriyama hadn't even thought of Makaioshin at the time of making Dabura, but then again he hadn't thought of the Saiyans when he made Goku either. :lol:
Iv'e seen the ending to this movie and nothing implies he's a bad dude. Besides he doesn't look evil, Dabura does.
I was referring to pre-movie speculation.

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Fri May 31, 2013 8:34 pm

DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:I was referring to pre-movie speculation.
I sure as heck didn't peg him as a Makaioshin during the pre-speculation.
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Fri May 31, 2013 8:41 pm

TheMightyOzaru wrote:
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:I was referring to pre-movie speculation.
I sure as heck didn't peg him as a Makaioshin during the pre-speculation.
Eh, it was the tree that did it. If he wasn't a Makaioshin I was sure he was gonna have some sort of important role, rather than just the one chop at the end.

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Fri May 31, 2013 8:45 pm

He is Beers' master, I'd say he's important. He might get a bigger role in sequel....?
Youtube channel:
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Fri May 31, 2013 8:55 pm

TheMightyOzaru wrote:He is Beers' master, I'd say he's important. He might get a bigger role in sequel....?
Yeah, I'm hoping for that.

It's just that I don't think his role warrants the importance that the poster gives him. It'd be like making a poster for the Saiyan arc and having Kaio descending from the heavens in the background.

DBZ Mick
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Mick » Fri May 31, 2013 9:11 pm

I don't know where all this hate suddenly sprung from...?
:crazy:
It is in his character to be rude and a bit crass. He's a hick, with no formal education. That is Son Goku. That is who he is.

Superman in an orange Gi was the bastard son of FUNimation. Its not The real character, it is as false as Chatku.

-DemonRin

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Fri May 31, 2013 9:23 pm

DBZ Mick wrote:I don't know where all this hate suddenly sprung from...?
:crazy:
Neither do I. I mostly only see it from 3 people though, hleV, Saiga, and Rocketman.
Youtube channel:
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Fri May 31, 2013 9:40 pm

They tend to have common complaints.

I think that the biggest someone might hate this movie is because the main the hero is Goku again. Just like all the other films he always has to be shoe horned into the main role. It's getting really, really tiring. Stories set after the Buu Saga are the absolute worst about this.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Fri May 31, 2013 9:52 pm

I haven't seen the film so there's not really much I dislike about it yet. My only compliant is that I really wish that Whis was a woman. I remember the first movie poster was leaked and everyone thought the figure in the background was some sort of female Makaioshin (or something like that). I was seriously disappointed to find out that it was yet another powerful male fighter. :(

Vice
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Vice » Fri May 31, 2013 9:59 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote:They tend to have common complaints.

I think that the biggest someone might hate this movie is because the main the hero is Goku again. Just like all the other films he always has to be shoe horned into the main role. It's getting really, really tiring. Stories set after the Buu Saga are the absolute worst about this.
Uh, what's the alternative? Gohan? Been there, done that. Didn't really work out. Goten/Trunks? Pretty sure nobody wants that. Vegeta/Piccolo? Yeah, that ain't happening.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Fri May 31, 2013 10:03 pm

Another thing is the animation. It's like, "Really? This is what they're going with for DB's big new blockbuster that's supposedly going to rejuvenate the series?" It's not bad, but they could've done a lot better.

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Fri May 31, 2013 10:11 pm

When has DBZ ever been about the animation, lets be honest here. @Vice, I still believe Gohan should have been the hero at the end of the day. Yeah let Goku and Vegeta be revived and all but I think Pure Buu should have been much stronger than Goku or Vegeta imagined and they should have brought Gohan and Gotenks over to finish the job. It would symbolize a sort of passing the torch on to their sons.
Youtube channel:
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Fri May 31, 2013 10:14 pm

TheMightyOzaru wrote:When has DBZ ever been about the animation, lets be honest here.
No Anime show is about the animation, but nice animation certainly adds to the appeal. Especially if it's a blockbuster movie being played on IMAX.

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Fri May 31, 2013 10:17 pm

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:
TheMightyOzaru wrote:When has DBZ ever been about the animation, lets be honest here.
No Anime show is about the animation, but nice animation certainly adds to the appeal. Especially if it's a blockbuster movie being played on IMAX.
Yeah but DBZ has always had poor animation. This is pretty high grade animation for DBZ. Besides I personally couldn't care less whether the animation is a little lazy in some spots. As long as the movie is good, I'm fine.
Youtube channel:
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Fri May 31, 2013 10:18 pm

The complaint that "no one gets to do anything but Goku" has never made any sense to me, as it seems everyone's definition of "getting to do something" is "defeat the antagonist." Which just isn't happening and it's weird people don't get that.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Fri May 31, 2013 10:25 pm

TheMightyOzaru wrote: Yeah but DBZ has always had poor animation. This is pretty high grade animation for DBZ. Besides I personally couldn't care less whether the animation is a little lazy in some spots. As long as the movie is good, I'm fine.
The animation (throughout all three series) was inconsistent. In some places, it was really good (for its time), and in others, horribly bad. I'm not saying the animation isn't an improvement over what they were putting out in the 90s, but by today's standards, I feel they could've done better

Vice
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Vice » Fri May 31, 2013 10:35 pm

TheMightyOzaru wrote: Yeah but DBZ has always had poor animation. This is pretty high grade animation for DBZ. Besides I personally couldn't care less whether the animation is a little lazy in some spots. As long as the movie is good, I'm fine.
Not really. Aside from triangle guy and Uchiyama, DBZ had some great animated moments. Maeda, Yamamuro, Hisada and Masunaga episodes were fantastic.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Fri May 31, 2013 10:46 pm

He is the main character though. Going by what some of you said Movies 9, 10 and 11 must be your favorite of the bunch because Goku isn't the guy who beats the main villain. Whats wrong with Goku being the hero during and post Boo saga? First people complain that he steals the spot then He himself tries to past the torch TWICE but both candidates ended up falling short in some way shape of form but thats just the "In Universe" way of looking at it.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Fri May 31, 2013 10:51 pm

goku the krump dancer wrote:He is the main character though. Going by what some of you said Movies 9, 10 and 11 must be your favorite of the bunch because Goku isn't the guy who beats the main villain.
He is, actually. Yep, someone couldn't handle the new generation doing stuff, so they had to have Goku hold their hands from the dead.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.