Have you ever lost interest in the franchise?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Have you ever lost interest in the franchise?

Post by Thanos » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:55 pm

From 2000 to about 2009 my interest never suffered much... at that point not much was going on (Kai didn't/doesn't interest me outside of merely giving addition life to the franchise), and Raging Blast was a big disappointment. I think BoG revived it for me, and to a degree BoZ.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:10 pm

With all this shit that coming out now. Such as BoG, EOB(Despite me liking it), BOZ being a shitty game(IMHO), and Goku's mother. I'm losing more interest. It's like digging up a dead body and giving it a make over. I would had much more interest had the series stayed "retired". It's like wrestling. You pay your respects to the legends of course. They appear once in awhile. However once you start seeing them to much(Rock, Batista, and other ect) they're just a shell of their former selves. DBZ suffers from this.

baneofdemon22
Beyond Newbie

Post by baneofdemon22 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:32 pm

ABED wrote:
RocktheDragon wrote:
ABED wrote:My interest comes and goes. It's like eating your favorite food. When you first eat it, it's amazing, but when you eat it everyday for a long stretch, it's easy to lose interest.
I totally understand what you're getting at but some people (like me) can stomach eating that food on a weekly basis. :P I mean that both in the sense of DB and my favorite food (bison) lol.
Weekly's one thing, daily's another.
I've actually eaten the exact same thing every day for years and I really like it. Not even mixing up with different flavors either. To be fair, I don't have a choice, because my body can't handle any other foods, so they have to be my favorite!

baneofdemon22
Beyond Newbie

Post by baneofdemon22 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:36 pm

I'm really interested in this topic, because I'm really curious why most of you have stuck around and still talk about a franchise that so old. I just got into the first time last year, and just read the manga for the first time a few days ago, so it's pretty fresh to me. It really surprised me that their were topics about plot points and characterizations now, since a lot of you, got into it a long time ago. It's a pretty great testament to the quality of the series!

DBZ Mick
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Mick » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:42 pm

Well, like I said, I like this forum because Mike (VegettoEX) has a tight ship here. It's always on-topic, and I think off-topic discussion kills forums (all but two forums I go to are pretty much dead, or I left because of trolls and off-topic discussions). And I like discussing things, hence why I'm also here.

Also I still enjoy Dragonball+ getting into the original Japanese version really refreshed the series for me.

If I was still into the dub I think I may have lost interest by now.
It is in his character to be rude and a bit crass. He's a hick, with no formal education. That is Son Goku. That is who he is.

Superman in an orange Gi was the bastard son of FUNimation. Its not The real character, it is as false as Chatku.

-DemonRin

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:51 pm

baneofdemon22 wrote:I'm really interested in this topic, because I'm really curious why most of you have stuck around and still talk about a franchise that so old. I just got into the first time last year, and just read the manga for the first time a few days ago, so it's pretty fresh to me. It really surprised me that their were topics about plot points and characterizations now, since a lot of you, got into it a long time ago. It's a pretty great testament to the quality of the series!
I'm still learning about the show, even though I've been a fan since 93. It was in the past 2 years that I found out Muten Roshi isn't a name but a title.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

hui43210
Not-So-Newbie

Post by hui43210 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:57 pm

As soon I started watching other anime, my interest left me. Dbza is the only db related thing that holds my interest today. Bog was fun, but by the halfway of that movie I knew I was done with this show. That said, right up to the end of the cell games, db is still a solid show for the most part.

I also should add I'm for one glad we're finally getting to see goku's mother, that's one thing that always bugged me.... So I guess some interest left there eh? :)
Last edited by hui43210 on Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:59 pm

Sometimes. I go in and out, usually based on my mood. It's usually the material prior to 2007 that brings me back in.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:56 pm

I don't think I ever lost interest. I've been following DBZ for nearly 13 years.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

InfernalVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by InfernalVegito » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:44 am

Kanzenshuu is basically the only thing that keeps me connected with the franchise.
BT3 off meds | The final fight

Ah, the Alpha and the Omega. As all life was created from Chaos...so shall it be DESTROYED!!!

The wails of machines | Singing cold harmony | Shifting air upward | Entranced by the breeze | Light pours like blood | Into a cosmic sea | Of stars crystallized | In a frozen symphony

Vegetto kicking you into orbit theme

Codarik
Advanced Regular

Post by Codarik » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:48 am

Just last year I quit everything DB for several months because I was burned out on it. Then randomly I got the spark of interest in the franchise again. If I ever lose interest again, I can see myself not watching the anime or playing the video games but still read the manga.

garnetjester
Beyond Newbie

Post by garnetjester » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:18 am

I didn't actively switch sides or stop liking it or anything, but there came a point around 2004 when I had already watched everything, and I sort of forgot about the whole thing for a long time. That is until BOG was released in cinemas here, I was so out of the loop that I didn't even know if I would understand what was going on with the movie. After I watched the movie I was hooked again, and I remembered why I loved it so much as a kid. So I started watching Kai and I read the manga for the first time and I started listening to the music again and well, I've just been in a hyper Dragon phase for the past year.

So yeah, big DB fan with a 10 year long hiatus here. It was very interesting to rewatch the whole thing again and see how my opinions of some characters or events have changed. Currently, I love Piccolo and Chichi a lot, while I never really warmed up to them as a kid.
"Giving up is something we can do anytime, so let's head on, even if it's just a little bit!"

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:47 am

InfernalVegito wrote:Kanzenshuu is basically the only thing that keeps me connected with the franchise.
I do have to agree. I might have stop caring about DBZ years ago if it was not for the Internet.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:59 am

I was when I found the site, and I think my forum presence here would show how that turned out. I mean, its an evergreen series that was in it's prime when almost all of us here were somewhere between high school and unborn- it's not going to be gushing new content to keep us on our toes at this point, and really anyone dedicated enough to become a recurring member of Kanzenshuu will probably learn more about the series than they ever thought they wanted, and that kind of broader understanding of an only semi-active property (compared to what it was) can lead to burn out.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:22 am

In a sorta way as I haven't watched my dvds or videos really in a long time. Heck, I haven't even opened my Kai dvds as I've been busy with other things, or watching its sister shows or other anime.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:54 am

Never completely, but there was a period of time in 2002 where I liked Dragonball still, but I was into other anime and manga (like Gundam, Kenshin, Cowboy Bebop. Trigun, etc.) a bit more at the time. Dragonball made its way back to the spotlight for me at the end of that year when the first Budokai game came out on PS2. Of course, at that point, I was more of a manga fan and I was unwilling to pay $25 for three episodes of DBZ so I still watched those other anime more, but Dragonball still sort of took its spot back.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

cRookie_Monster
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by cRookie_Monster » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:13 am

After leaving Faulconer Productions I was pretty angry and disillusioned. I went on to focus on other things. It's weird because for a while my exwife maintained the interest and watched a lot more than I did. She was watching the Majin Vegeta shows, beginnings of the Buu saga...and I just didn't care that much. My first year in Redmond we put Ms on our foreheads for Halloween and after that even she lost interest. Pretty much from 2002 to 2006 I didn't really think about DBZ at all. In 2007 I saw a video on youtube of someone playing the Vegeta Super Saiyan theme that had tens of thousands of views and huge amounts of praise. I was finishing up my first solo album "Shrubbery of Darkness" at the time and started thinking about beginning a promotion effort using sounds from DBZ in videos. I figured if someone playing simplified version of the music on the piano blew people away, actually hearing someone play the real synths would make people's heads explode...and prove my identity at the same time. So yeah I started chatting online with fans and building tracks from requests. The last track I wrote for Shrubbery was called "Sphere of the Dragon" and contained a few subtle Faulconer sounds but as soon as that was done I went in whole hog to do the Z Music album. My first "coming out" thread was over on the old defunct Funimation forums, but this one officially kicked off the Z Music album on this site:
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =12&t=6719

After Z Music I did a few more Z tracks to satisfy demand but really wanted to move on and do my own thing again. Fans didn't like that =\ Eventually I came back around and in the Z world again ^^
- Scott
http://morganstudios.com

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:22 am

I loved the Saiyan and Freeza sagas on Toonami but when the Garlic Jr. Saga started up I got bored and stopped watching for a while.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Mystic Buu
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mystic Buu » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:06 am

Yes.But when i found Kanzenshuu,I gained interest.It's nice to see that people still discuss and talk about a 30-year old manga which I love and I will gain even more interest on April.

flashback0180
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by flashback0180 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:18 am

Well i didn't care much about DBZ after 2005 or even years before , I started getting back to dragon ball when i started watching the the abridged and parodies on the net.(around 2008 i guess)

I have always been a anime fan. When i lose intrest of a anime i move to a new one.

But if something new of the series comes up then i'm always there .