DB Super Simuldub?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: DB Super Simuldub?

Post by Basaku » Tue May 19, 2015 9:53 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:They never said they don't want to be involved as soon as possible. It's just not as simple as saying "hey, you want in on this new Dragon Ball anime?" though. It's a business and there are legal hoops to jump through with negotiations, contracts, etc.
Doesn't Fox have priority in terms of licensing? And only if they pass others have a chance? Or was that just for movies?

Daisetsu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Daisetsu » Tue May 19, 2015 10:01 pm

I'm pretty sure that was only for movies, yeah.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue May 19, 2015 11:21 pm

Basaku wrote:
TheDevilsCorpse wrote:They never said they don't want to be involved as soon as possible. It's just not as simple as saying "hey, you want in on this new Dragon Ball anime?" though. It's a business and there are legal hoops to jump through with negotiations, contracts, etc.
Doesn't Fox have priority in terms of licensing? And only if they pass others have a chance? Or was that just for movies?
Movies only. Fox has zero to do with anything with the TV shows.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu May 28, 2015 3:50 pm

Since it could potentially become an elephant in the room to a prior statement I made, I guess I should go ahead and bring this up.

The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan (a spinoff of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya) was just announced as a simuldub for FUNimation...using the same LA based cast from the Bang Zoom dub of the previous series. While this is certainly a surprise and definitely a sign that doing simuldub work may be getting easier quickly, I'm still not sure I'd say that makes Super any more likely to receive a similar effort. While Nagato Yuki is likely being done in a collaborative effort with Bang Zoom itself (FUNimation has done this in the past, just never with a simuldub), that's at least just them working with one cast in one area, even if it is one outside of Texas. For Super though, they'd have to work with Schemmel being in NY, Bailey and Hebert and possibly Haberkorn and others being in LA, and the bulk of the rest of the cast being in Texas, all at once. That's a lot of different areas and material to keep track of on top of everything else.

So basically, I bring this up only to say it may still be best not to get your hopes up too awful much just yet. :P
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

ChibiGoku
Beyond Newbie

Post by ChibiGoku » Thu May 28, 2015 3:53 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:Since it could potentially become an elephant in the room to a prior statement I made, I guess I should go ahead and bring this up.

For Super though, they'd have to work with Schemmel being in NY, Bailey and Hebert and possibly Haberkorn and others being in LA, and the bulk of the rest of the cast being in Texas, all at once. That's a lot of different areas and material to keep track of on top of everything else.
For the record, I heard Sean Schemmel recently moved to LA, so that should reduce the amount of areas they'd have to record from. Not say it'll make a simuldub more likely, but I wanted to point this out.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu May 28, 2015 4:00 pm

ChibiGoku wrote:For the record, I heard Sean Schemmel recently moved to LA, so that should reduce the amount of areas they'd have to record from. Not say it'll make a simuldub more likely, but I wanted to point this out.
Oh, did he? I hadn't heard about that - that's great news if so! Not necessarily in the vein of making a simuldub more likely - I'd still imagine the fun of trying to work with two areas at once instead of just outsourcing to another area would be hellishly impossible - but that's great simply because there's just not a whole lot of voice-over happening in New York nowadays sadly. I can think of a few other VA's based in that area I'd really like to see move to LA.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:58 pm

I don't watch the dub, but I would definitely go with the former. Who wouldn't want a better product? And yes, I do think it will air on Toonami.
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

Ushabtis
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ushabtis » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:23 pm

Anyone know if Nadolny lives in LA/Texas? despite not being part of DB series anymore I'd like to see if she has a shot in being in new content. I'd like to see more of her work.
Jaco the Super Elite with The Great Saiyaman fighting crime for a spin-off series. Make it happen Toriyama

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:41 pm

The show just came out in Japan. I do think Toei wants the show to come out in Japan first before sending it out to the US. It's a Japanese franchise and the Japanese are the main target audience. To Toei, Japan first then overseas later.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/