The Only Way Super Will Be Watchable in English

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: The Only Way Super Will Be Watchable in English

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:03 pm

funrush wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:In all honesty, what I'd like them to do is skip the BoG and F arcs, and wait until they can dub the Universe 6 one. Leading up to the premiere of Super (Uni 6 arc), they can air the two modern movies on Toonami (one per Saturday). Anything missing from the movies that may have been revealed during the F arc can be briefly recapped. Later on, they can release the lost arcs on DVD/Blu-Ray, or air them after the end of the Uni 6 arc.

How awesome would it be if the Universe 6 saga aired in both the US and Japan at the same time? It would be a big deal. Wishful thinking, I guess.
So GT it? That could be either a really good move or a really pointless move, I guess it depends on how well Kai's ratings go and whether or not Super's first 2 arcs actually do change or add anything important.
http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/0 ... oe/446212/

Its a bad move. Everyone has the right to watch all Super episodes and judge it for themselves.
Only because some don't like it, doesn't mean the others won't love it.

Start airing U6 arc before showing the other Super BOG/ROF arcs versions, is not much different from start watching DBZ before DB. Oh wait...
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:36 pm

Its a bad move. Everyone has the right to watch all Super episodes and judge it for themselves.
Only because some don't like it, doesn't mean the others won't love it.
Everyone has the right to watch all Super episodes. Everyone also has the right to fap off to GT.

Nobody should have to sit through a shoddy version of an existing, superior product while they wait for new content. That was a bad move.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:10 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote: Nobody should have to sit through a shoddy version of an existing, superior product while they wait for new content. That was a bad move.
Retteling the movies and not make Super take place after EOZ was big fail yeah.
Still, Super BOG arc is still much better than the movie version. More people need to see it.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

VintageSaiyan
Temporarily Banned

Post by VintageSaiyan » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:21 pm

Ajay wrote:I don't like thing, therefore thing must be treated as a joke.

Right.

So what are you looking to get out of this thread?
Except it's a terrible show on all fronts. It is a joke. Watching Super is similar to playing something like Final Bout, the only reason you are watching this trainwreck is because it's got the same characters you've followed for years. There has been literally nothing redeeming about this show whatsoever, and is doing well to take GT's throne of Toei's golden shit star.

I don't see anything wrong with this thread, but I know expressing a "negative" opinion about a poorly written, poorly animated, just out right piss poor production will incur the wrath of people who claim we are watching through rose tinted glasses. It's ironic, especially now that more and more people are coming out and being vocal about their frustration with how Super has been handled.
Last edited by VintageSaiyan on Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:26 pm

VintageSaiyan wrote:Except it's a terrible show on all fronts. It is a joke.
Please don't use a tone that makes it seem like you think what you're saying is a fact.

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:27 pm

NeoKING wrote:Fixed. Super isn't a great show on its own to be honest. And I know, everyone has an opinion.
"Fixing" someone else's opinion is dismissive and adds nothing to the conversation. Please refrain from making posts like this.
-Rachel

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:31 pm

Doctor. wrote:
Please don't use a tone that makes it seem like you think what you're saying is a fact.
You proved his point. Of course, anyone who dislikes Super has to be hit with "Speak for yourself!" and isn't allowed to express disdain, implying there's supposed to be some groupthink mentality of liking Super or getting shut down by everyone else for speaking taboo thoughts.

Not everyone likes Dragon Ball Super.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:38 pm

NeoKING wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
You proved his point. Of course, anyone who dislikes Super has to be hit with "Speak for yourself!" and isn't allowed to express disdain, implying there's supposed to be some groupthink mentality of liking Super or getting shut down by everyone else for speaking taboo thoughts.

Not everyone likes Dragon Ball Super.
I'm not sure how I proved anything. For the past month, he has been affirming Super was shit and spewing stuff like "this is an objective fact" and "people only like it because of nostalgia". Anyone who likes Super is immediately hit by the same types of "Speak for yourself" comments, so there's toxicity from both sides here, there's no group mentality. Nobody, and I repeat, NOBODY has been saying Super is flawless or even close to being flawless. Some people, however, have been saying it's shit with no redeemable qualities. Which one do you think is more infuriating to see? People who like the show but think it has flaws, or people who think it's shit and can't find something to like about it?

If you don't like Super, then make a thread saying why. Instead, what you did was make a thread assuming from the start that everyone shared your opinion that Super sucked and then had the nerve to call the people who like show out.

Faustus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Faustus » Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:15 pm

VintageSaiyan wrote:Except it's a terrible show on all fronts. It is a joke. Watching Super is similar to playing something like Final Bout, the only reason you are watching this trainwreck is because it's got the same characters you've followed for years.
Whoever told you starting a sentence out with "Except" and using italics could transmute opinion into an objective truth has been lying to you. (Your use of the general "you" is quite telling, as well.) There are certainly faults about which everyone or at least most people will agree (e.g. a lot of the animation, certain pacing & narrative choices), and if you'd like you may consider these to be "objective" wrongs given their relative currency, but whether, in the final consideration, these failings end up outweighing whatever positives may be gleaned from the experience by a given individual is a wholly subjective judgment that's not yours to make, save for yourself.

NeoKing, there's no denying such formulations as the above arrogate to themselves the status of fact by their very construction. Context matters, too: In a vacuum, I don't think there's anything wrong with saying "X is trash" -- you don't even have to throw in an "I think" or "In my opinion", which is usually implicit -- but when it's so often in response to dissenting opinion and worded like this it tends to take on the character of imposition. Expressing disdain and speaking for oneself aren't mutually exclusive; go ahead and articulate your concerns all you like (and I have quite a number myself!), and I absolutely won't charge you with looking back on the original series through a rose-tinted lens. I just can't help but read this specific thread as a woefully misguided effort to homogenize opinion (the title itself is assumptive and does nothing to encourage open discussion), and I'm sorry to say I can't concede any value to it whatsoever.

Sora Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Sora Saiyan » Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:31 am

I really like Super, it does drag a bit at times but it doesn't bother me too much. The God transformation was an improvement over BoG, it actually did a good job at showing it was a transformation fit for the name God. There are quite a few scenes that have been dragged out needlessly, but overall I think Super is good, and a gag dub would be a bad idea, doing a dub like Kai would make me happy, or BoG, Schemmel was outstanding as Goku in that.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:50 am

I don't believe for a second that Super needs a gag dub to be watchable in English. Super may a few pacing issues, along with some animation hiccups, but overall, it's been a very enjoyable experience so far and the retelling of BOG has certainly provided some instance where they superior to what was shown in the movie.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:08 am

The arc might not be as good as the movie version and there are several flaws but it's still levels above GT.

Scott
Beyond Newbie

Post by Scott » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:42 am

VintageSaiyan wrote:
Ajay wrote:I don't like thing, therefore thing must be treated as a joke.

Right.

So what are you looking to get out of this thread?
Except it's a terrible show on all fronts. It is a joke. Watching Super is similar to playing something like Final Bout, the only reason you are watching this trainwreck is because it's got the same characters you've followed for years. There has been literally nothing redeeming about this show whatsoever, and is doing well to take GT's throne of Toei's golden shit star.

I don't see anything wrong with this thread, but I know expressing a "negative" opinion about a poorly written, poorly animated, just out right piss poor production will incur the wrath of people who claim we are watching through rose tinted glasses. It's ironic, especially now that more and more people are coming out and being vocal about their frustration with how Super has been handled.
I agree, i think the show has been a joke so far too. I have been shaking my head in disbelief at what i have seen so far. They just seem to be getting everything wrong.

Back on topic. If the show doesn't improve then Funimation can dub it anyway they like because i won't be watching the dubbed version. A gag dub maybe the best way to handle this show to be honest.

derpgoku
Beyond Newbie

Post by derpgoku » Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:41 pm

"There is only one way this show will be entertaining in English and that is if Funimation decides to go with a gag dub"
no no no ,there are 2 ways for me , dub like they always have, don't put me in the same category of people who will enjoy super with a gag dub,you are tyring to imply that the whole fabase will only enjoy it if its a gag dub,its ok if tthe whole fanbase does , but i will be that one person who doesn't

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:28 pm

NeoKING wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Super is bad new material they don't need to do anything it will sell incredibly well as is, if anything a "gag dub" will worsen sales.
Fixed. Super isn't a great show on its own to be honest. And I know, everyone has an opinion.
Regardless of whether it is good or bad, it is new material and will sell. FUNi do not need to do anything other than the dub the way they have Kai, BoG and "F" and they're golden. FUNi are finally dubbing Dragon Ball by respecting the source material, they're not suddenly going to veer off and do a "gag dub". Japan are taking Super seriously, so will FUNi regardless of their or other people's thoughts on the series.
Last edited by Baggie_Saiyan on Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VintageSaiyan
Temporarily Banned

Post by VintageSaiyan » Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:47 pm

Doctor. wrote:

I'm not sure how I proved anything. For the past month, he has been affirming Super was shit and spewing stuff like "this is an objective fact" and "people only like it because of nostalgia". Anyone who likes Super is immediately hit by the same types of "Speak for yourself" comments, so there's toxicity from both sides here, there's no group mentality. Nobody, and I repeat, NOBODY has been saying Super is flawless or even close to being flawless. Some people, however, have been saying it's shit with no redeemable qualities. Which one do you think is more infuriating to see? People who like the show but think it has flaws, or people who think it's shit and can't find something to like about it?

If you don't like Super, then make a thread saying why. Instead, what you did was make a thread assuming from the start that everyone shared your opinion that Super sucked and then had the nerve to call the people who like show out.

It's really no different from you saying how Super's current run is "easily the best arc in the series". (Can you imagine how infuriating I find that?)

Not to mention, it's a thread that's obviously expressing discontent for this mediocre show - why are you chastising me and not Ajay who came in here picking a fight? There's a difference between expressing your polar opposite opinion and completely discounting it.

I have pulled myself back out of a lot of threads because I know my opinion is unpopular on a board of die hard Akira Toriyama fans. But if someone in this thread wants to argue why this isn't a piss poor production on all fronts be my guest - but we have hundreds of other anime shows to compare to, as well as 2 previous series' in the franchise, 13 movies, and two movie specials that absolutely refute that argument.

I'm hoping after this arc is over Super will rebound and I'll be able to enjoy it with you with all the :thumbup: emojis in the world. As of now it hasn't.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:08 pm

VintageSaiyan wrote:It's really no different from you saying how Super's current run is "easily the best arc in the series". (Can you imagine how infuriating I find that?)
I said it was one of the best. And considering the series is made up of 15 arcs, if we include Super and GT, most of them bad or mediocre, that's not really hard.
VintageSaiyan wrote:Not to mention, it's a thread that's obviously expressing discontent for this mediocre show - why are you chastising me and not Ajay who came in here picking a fight? There's a difference between expressing your polar opposite opinion and completely discounting it.
The one who came looking for a fight was the original poster. He assumed from the start that everyone thought that Super was unwatchable and bad in its current state. What do you think is the best way to make a thread? "Ways the dub can improve Super" or "The only way Super will be watchable in English"? Because I think the former is much more respectful.
VintageSaiyan wrote:I have pulled myself back out of a lot of threads because I know my opinion is unpopular on a board of die hard Akira Toriyama fans.
You're aware it's most likely Toei writing Super for the time being, right?
VintageSaiyan wrote:But if someone in this thread wants to argue why this isn't a piss poor production on all fronts be my guest - but we have hundreds of other anime shows to compare to, as well as 2 previous series' in the franchise, 13 movies, and two movie specials that absolutely refute that argument.
Its a piss poor production in the animation department. I don't see how it's any worse than the other arcs in terms of plot when it's doing the same exact thing with its characters.
VintageSaiyan wrote:I'm hoping after this arc is over Super will rebound and I'll be able to enjoy it with you with all the :thumbup: emojis in the world. As of now it hasn't.
Good, this is a good attitude to have. You had a terrible attitude in other threads, when you said Super being bad is an objective fact over and over again.

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:57 pm

Doctor. wrote: The one who came looking for a fight was the original poster. He assumed from the start that everyone thought that Super was unwatchable and bad in its current state. What do you think is the best way to make a thread? "Ways the dub can improve Super" or "The only way Super will be watchable in English"? Because I think the former is much more respectful.
Okay Doc, I gotta correct you here. First of all, any human being with common sense understands that you don't have to say something like "In my opinion" or "I believe" to let the world know that you're speaking your opinion. It's implied to be an opinion. Lets not pretend as if that isn't true and then go on with "Well that's YOUR opinion" in order to dodge the fact that a Super English gag dub is enough to speculate and discuss.

If I were to title this, "Ways the dub can improve Super," I guarantee you'd come in here with the same "Why does it need to be improved in the first place? You're assuming everyone else doesn't like Super just as much as you" hoo-blah.

If you don't like the thread, why don't you leave?
SpiritBombTriumphant wrote:
NeoKING wrote:
SpiritBombTriumphant wrote:Seriously what is with all of the dub bashing lately?
Who's dub bashing?
NeoKING in this thread.
I still don't see how I bashed the dub. I actually love the dub and prefer it to the sub.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:07 pm

NeoKING wrote:If I were to title this, "Ways the dub can improve Super," I guarantee you'd come in here with the same "Why does it need to be improved in the first place? You're assuming everyone else doesn't like Super just as much as you" hoo-blah.
And you base this on.... what, exactly? If I don't think the original series is perfect, why would I think Super is? Everything can be improved on, I'm not gonna sit here and pretend I'm happy that some potential was missed with Super. If the title of the thread was what I proposed, then I'd probably come and say "A dub can't improve the show" or something of the sort, I would most certainly not say it doesn't need to be improved.

If I made a thread saying "The only way the English dub would be watchable" and said "If they hired the TFS voice actors and made constant jokes and references on purpose". Would you really feel like, a) I'm not trolling, and b) I'm not being confrontational towards the people who like the dub? Be honest here, would you?

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:11 pm

Doctor. wrote:
NeoKING wrote:If I were to title this, "Ways the dub can improve Super," I guarantee you'd come in here with the same "Why does it need to be improved in the first place? You're assuming everyone else doesn't like Super just as much as you" hoo-blah.
And you base this on.... what, exactly?
The fact that it's still an assuming title. Just worded a bit nicer and less criticizing. In other words, you're saying it's better I word things as to not rustle people's jimmies and hurt feelings, but I really don't care.
If I don't think the original series is perfect, why would I think Super is? Everything can be improved on, I'm not gonna sit here and pretend I'm happy that some potential was missed with Super. If the title of the thread was what I proposed, then I'd probably come and say "A dub can't improve the show" or something of the sort, I would most certainly not say it doesn't need to be improved.

If I made a thread saying "The only way the English dub would be watchable" and said "If they hired the TFS voice actors and made constant jokes and references on purpose". Would you really feel like, a) I'm not trolling, and b) I'm not being confrontational towards the people who like the dub? Be honest here, would you?
No, I'd entertain it and think you're serious because like I said in the original post, Super itself is a parody series. Obviously there'd be some levels of trolls there because realistically why would Funimation hire YouTube stars off the strength of YouTube to voice the main cast, but I'd value the discussion as to why that would work and why it should happen.