Herms Rates the Show (update: all done!)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Re: Herms Rates the Show

Post by rereboy » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:47 am

Because it really just seems very unnecessary. What exactly do you want to know? You even admit that you already know that the answer is most likely what I indicated. Would you even ask if you happened to agree? It just makes it seem that you are demanding an explanation for an opinion that you don't agree with it, even though you pretty much already know the essence of the answer.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:53 am

rereboy wrote:Because it really just seems very unnecessary. What exactly do you want to know? You even admit that you already know that the answer is most likely what I indicated. Would you even ask if you happened to agree? It just makes it seem that you are demanding an explanation for an opinion that you don't agree with it, even though you pretty much already know the essence of the answer.
This is a forum. People exchange opinions. I see no point to your questions. Why does it matter to YOU why I want to know? Yes, I would like to know even if I agreed.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:54 am

I can't believe I'm saying this because I'm the one who actively encourages discussion and the questioning of opinions...

But holy cow you guys are missing the point of this and turning this into a mess for absolutely no reason.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:57 am

No, I get the point of this, I was just asking a question in good faith, but someone else took it the wrong way, I guess.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:33 am

I have no intention of making a mess. I'm just saying that I think that the main point of what Herms thinks is already pointed out in a good enough fashion to me: he doesn't like the ep because he didn't really like the alien angle. Why he didn't isn't really important because he might not even be able to point out himself why, and even if he can, it's almost surely because he didn't like the transition, either because it was abrupt, because it departs from the mysticism of the show, or some other similar reason. And as for the 0, things that we don't like can easily tarnish everything else. Of course, he might have been sarcastic, that I can't tell for sure.

And ABED doesn't have to agree with me on this and he may think that there is a need or an interest in Herms developing his opinion much further. That's perfectly fine. I was just adding my "two cents", namely that I don't think that there's a need for him to explain further, it's already good enough to me, and that his rating and opinion are alright because opinions and all that.
Last edited by rereboy on Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:18 am

Nice reviews, Herms! :clap:

It's funny, I can't read the tweets/pics atm, but the jokes still work here. I would probably give more weight to the 22nd TB and less to the Saiyan saga filler, but overall I agree with your ratings.

ShaneisMC
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ShaneisMC » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:33 pm

If for no other reason its worth talking about and or clarifying whether it was sarcasm or not because thus far its literally the only thing he's given a flat 0 for.

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:50 pm

ShaneisMC wrote:If for no other reason its worth talking about and or clarifying whether it was sarcasm or not because thus far its literally the only thing he's given a flat 0 for.
In the context of reviewing DB from the beginning, the "alien heritage" revelation does seem like a crazy twist. But I think Herms intended it to be ironic. Like, you know, most casual fans love the franchise for DBZ, and started with DBZ. The alien heritage reveal isn't strange if you began the series in Saiyan saga.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:55 pm

Oh my fucking god.

It's a joke. Did you all read the rest of the tweets? This is a real nadir.

ShaneisMC
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ShaneisMC » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:23 pm

Cipher wrote:Oh my fucking god.

Even so, I would be interested in knowing his true feelings on the episode considering all of the others have serious responses.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:34 pm

I did read the rest of them and he was earnest in the rest of them and it feels odd that anyone would be bothered by the alien angle considering that it is both hinted at and even though DB is usually mystical, the sci-fi elements aren't occasional. They've been there since the beginning.

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:36 pm

ABED wrote:

I did read the rest of them and he was earnest in the rest of them and it feels odd that anyone would be bothered by the alien angle considering that it is both hinted at and even though DB is usually mystical, the sci-fi elements aren't occasional. They've been there since the beginning.
His tweet after that is a compilation of screen captures where he explains that the alien heritage had hints. He also jokes about the series being more sci-fi inspired as he talks about Goku interacting with the afterlife.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:39 pm

Nejishiki wrote:
ABED wrote:

His tweet after that is a compilation of screen captures where he explains that the alien heritage had hints. He also jokes about the series being more sci-fi inspired as he talks about Goku interacting with the afterlife.
I did see those, but with all the jokes and the fact that it's the net, I have a hard time figuring out if he's being ironic or he genuinely doesn't like the different direction. Plus I would like more of a discussion than a simple answer of "yeah, that's what I meant" or not.

Lunaar
Patreon Supporter

Post by Lunaar » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:54 am

Herms wrote:DBZ

===Saiyan===

DB ep.154: Very slow start to new story arc. We probably didn't need *quite* that much introduction to Gohan. 2.75/5 [Twitter]

DB ep.155: Apparently Goku is supposed to be some sort of space alien now? What a load of crap. 0/5 [Twitter]

DBZ ep.3: In today's episode, Superman and Lex Luthor team up to stop Doomsday! 4/5 [Twitter]

DBZ ep.4: A pretty jam-packed episode, fight-wise. Definitely not into the "drag-on" phase yet. 4.25/5 [Twitter]

DB ep.158: Goku dies!!! 4.5/5
DBZ ep.5: That green guy's attack is really cool! Oh, and spikey-haired guy dies. 3/5 [Twitter]
The episode numbering here killed me :lol: I'm really happy you started collecting these, I had been reading them since you started and hoped these would all be in one place someday. An excellent (and briskfully brief!) rundown of the series from someone well-informed with an opinion I care about! Kanzenshuu could really make a splash on YouTube with these blurbs. Attach some footage of the show and- *copyright strike'd* ah, nuts.

Maybe a Top Ten? Hermses Terp Ternses? I dunno.
Gogegito wrote:Gotenks said "I cant let him fight just like that, please trunks help me, he's my brother" And trunks also had undesrstanding eyes.
Ajay wrote:It's probably savagely lit. I dunno.
Steam ID: Lunaar
★頭カラッポの方が 夢詰め込める★

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:56 pm

I love the little joke in the dual-posting of "DB ep. 158," which reacts to the major twist of the longtime main character dying, and "DBZ ep. 5," which has no idea what's going on and just thinks it's kind of cool.

Which, of course, didn't stop Z from becoming super-popular in the states as a standalone entity, but -- uh, yeah. Big difference in the way those episodes work as the start of a series vs. the halfway point.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:20 pm

Herms wrote: DB ep.75: So much action, plus one of the series' few shock revelations. This whole mini-arc needs more love. 4.5/5
It does gets love, it's just that some of us consider it to be part of Red Ribbon Army arc, so maybe that's why it isn't mentioned often.
Anyway, this is all great stuff, i've been following it on Twitter since day 1.
I'm rewatching DB/Z/GT as well, but first i read couple of manga chapters, then watch episodes that adapt those chapters - just like a true Dragon Ball nerd. It's really kinda weird, but fun experience!

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:28 am

Forgot to mention that i read fan translation of the Kanzenban, so it all fits nicely with the anime, compared to Viz's translation and edits. It's really enjoyable experience: couple of chapters first (usually worth 4 episodes), then i watch those episodes.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:28 pm

Kuririn Fan wrote:
Herms wrote: DB ep.75: So much action, plus one of the series' few shock revelations. This whole mini-arc needs more love. 4.5/5
It does gets love, it's just that some of us consider it to be part of Red Ribbon Army arc, so maybe that's why it isn't mentioned often.
You keep bringing this up. Why? How does it have anything to do with these episodes being underappreciated?

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:26 pm

ABED wrote:
Kuririn Fan wrote:
You keep bringing this up. Why? How does it have anything to do with these episodes being underappreciated?
Just trying to explain things, i don't know.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:42 pm

I don't see a connection.

Anyway, I'm rewatching the show and I'm currently up to episode 19.
Here are some random thoughts:
- Lunch is sweet and quirky, but doesn't serve much purpose to the story.
- The filler with her in the saloon is boring.
- There were a bunch of clever reversals when Goku and Kuririn went hunting for the rock
- Goku and Kuririn's going from rivals to friends is well done
- Roshi's training is some of my favorite material in the entire show
- In the manga, the tournament contestants arrive and fight on the same day. I suppose some of them could've arrived earlier, but I like that in the anime, the contestants got a night to rest up.
Last edited by ABED on Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.