GT or Super? Which one is the best?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Dragon Ball GT or Dragon Ball Super? Which one is the best?

Post by Cipher » Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:45 am

RedRibbonSoldier#42 wrote:But Super, not GT, is the one with fresh ideas. The only original villain in GT was Baby, Super has Beerus, Whis, Champa, Vados, and now Zamasu and himself. It also expands the Dragonball mythos way more than GT, which only added the dark star balls. There's also more choreography and strategy in the actual fights in Super.
Super indeed has good characters and villains. Beerus, Whis, Champa, Vados and Zamasu are some of the best things about it. But focal characters are all treated super safely; we don't have new arcs for them to go along with the storylines these villains feature in. (Again, that's why I'd be interested in seeing what these plots would have been like had they picked up straight from a slightly less final Boo arc during the manga's original run, but it's not to be.) If they were similarly static in GT, they were at least in new phases of their lives, which we got to glimpse for the length of a prolonged epilogue. Their being old and frumpy, interested in things other than fighting (in addition to just being a radical take for a sequel) played thematically toward an ending that stripped away nearly all the fantasy elements in favor of some fairly grounded themes. Even if it's a happy coincidence, that pattern is present, and that makes it kind of worth having as a sequel or extra ending.

Super has rapidly expanded the universe; GT made an almost impressively consistent effort to shrink it. There really isn't much badder than Boo in space; the second arc is all about villains from the past; the final enemies are punishment for the use of the Dragon Balls on Earth, which has gotten quietly aesthetically realistic.

Universe-expanding and fun villains are candy; I'm looking more for what they add to the story, which is already complete in the 42 volumes of the manga. GT works with fewer elements, but builds toward a different ending worth having, and that's evident right from the start with its tone and treatment of characters; everything is very different from what we knew, maybe a little past its prime. Right now Super feels like "And then eight more things happened between the Boo arc and the end! But not in ways that really impact the characters or story."

That's without touching on the episode-by-episode execution of either; just the premises. It could easily be overcome through execution, but in terms of direction and scripting, I also feel GT has won out at this point in Super's run, and by a fair amount (on average; Super has some stellar highs with action scenes, and the rare times it manages to sell a Toriyama-esque joke are damn funny). It's evident most others disagree with me on that point, or just don't care as much about what they add to the overall narrative, and that's fine; I just wanted to clarify since the first part of your post seemed to be asking what I meant. It's also admittedly unfair, since Super hasn't ended yet.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:20 am

Super introduces Beerus and Whis, which are awesome characters.

Super feels like a DBZ continuation right off the bat while GT never truly feels like one. Not to mention Super uses more characters and uses them much better. It also expands concepts from the Buu Arc (which introduced Gods)

What GT did better was having more consistent art and, because it was made just after DBZ, its art looks more like DBZ and it's not as shiney as Super.

GT's ending was very good, we will have to see if Super tops it.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:20 am

Here's my breakdown:-

1) Character Designs - GT has this in the bag. Nakatsuru Katsuyoshi's designs are much more appealing than Yamamuro's robotic and lifeless designs in Super. Super Saiyan 4 is one of my favorite designs in all of DB. It is unique and looks pretty cool.

2) Art and animation - Super wins. Tate Naoki , eps #26, #38, #47 and #63 are much better than anything GT had. Then there's Shida Naotoshi's awesome action cut in #57 and Oonishi Ryou's cut in #14. I can't remember anything good in GT. Hisada Kazuya wasn't able to do what he used to do so well in Z, Uchiyama Masayuki(Last House) supervised episodes were awful and Koizumi Noboru rivaled even Uchiyama. GT wasn't that well animated overall.

Although it's art and background were good at times, but nothing stood out. While Super when deviated from Yamamuro's models looked great. Tate's episodes have his loose style which helps in more fluid movements and gives a unique touch which I like a lot.

Super #4 had some of the most detailed drawings with fantastic character expressions and the gorgeous thick lines. The art defined the episode thanks to Toma Seizou. Same thing in #16, under Iseki Shuu'ichi's supervision the art and expressions were the highlights. The designs also looked a lot Z like.

3) Music - GT trashes Super. Tokunaga score has variety of tracks and most importantly its memorable, can't say the same thing about Sumitomo. Sumitomo can't produce light hearted music at all. His serious tone pieces are alright but forgettable. I've had about enough of him. His bland and unappealing music just isn't helping Super.

4) Sound effects - GT again. The iconic Arai Hidenori sound effects should never have been replaced. Nishimura Mutsuhiro's effects in Super have no impact which is why even the well animated fights in it doesn't feel impactful.

5) Plot - Super has the edge. Gokuu Black arc has been more entertaining and interesting than most of GT. Baby arc was good though.

6) Characters - The new characters in Super are far more likeable than the new characters in GT. Champa, Gokuu Black and Zamasu in particular.

Overall, it's a tie for me. Super has the advantage though cause it's still ongoing and it might get even better.

- Travis

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:43 am

GT but the Zamas Saga was a very good opponent. It basically just doesn't stand a chance for me because of several emotional moments in GT.

But Super, not GT, is the one with fresh ideas.
Whenever I hear the word "fresh" in this context ...

They both had their oversimplified ideas and new and good ideas.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Vegard Aune
Advanced Regular

Post by Vegard Aune » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:24 am

Well, let's put it like this; I have owned GT in its entirety on DVD for three years... I still haven't seen past episode 12 because when I'm not facepalming at the mind-boggling stupidity of it all, I'm just struggling to stay awake through the mind-numbing boredom of it all. Super, for as much as I really hated the Beerus arc and thought the Shiny Freeza arc was a massive waste of potential, I've still kept up with each and every week, and I can actually see myself going back and rewatching the Champa arc and Zamasu arc down the road because those are genuinely enjoyable arcs, even if the former has basically no stakes and the latter has sort of gotten a bit too convoluted for its own good. I mean, yeah, Super has a few truckloads of problems with consistency, characterization, consistency, animation quality, consistency and pacing, but even at its absolute worst I'd still take it over GT.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:51 am

Dragon Ball Super, mainly because the Black Star Dragon Ball Saga in GT was just awful and the manga for Super is actually pretty decent (albeit too fast).
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:12 pm

Do people think that GT tries to be its own thing while Super is fanservice at most?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:18 pm

Noah wrote:Do people think that GT tries to be its own thing while Super is fanservice at most?
No. GT stole the majority of its ideas straight from DB and DBZ, bordering on plagiarism at some points. DBS isn't all that fanservicey either, unless fans want mcguffins, rehash, and padding galore. The simplicity of the newer stories and character interactions is more likely because the whole show is bound to Toriyama's bare-bones script.
Retired.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:34 pm

Noah wrote:Do people think that GT tries to be its own thing while Super is fanservice at most?
I think there's a level of originality and fan-pandering present in both, and both those manifest in nearly opposite ways.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:43 pm

I can sum up my opinion pretty quickly. I think Super is average, whilst GT for me is trash and has little to no redeeming qualities.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:47 pm

GT has the better animation, art, and characterizations (excluding Trunks). But Super is just more fun, as long as you shut your brain off and stop using DBZ logic when analyzing the scenes. GT is godawful boring. I barely recall a single memorable battle, whereas Super, while its battles are also terrible due to bad animation and art, actually does have some decent and outright exciting ones sprinkled in there.

I also don't understand why people say the pacing in GT is bad, when it's way better than DBZ's. I guess people are referring to the Blackstar arc, which I never bothered to sit through. Super's pacing is pretty bad; everything is so rushed and sloppy. There are so many unfilled gaps in scenes, so much left to be desired, and absolutely no attention to detail. Both also introduce good and shitty concepts.

Basically, they're both terrible sequels. As much as Super pisses me off as a DBZ fan, it's simply the much more enjoyable series. It's average, at best, whereas GT is simply a pain to sit through. My lament is that they didn't begin with the Black "arc" from the start and flesh it out into a full scale "saga." The whole mystery of Goku Black actually ruined the entire arc, especially given the underwhelming revelation; the payoff sucked. Zamasu's development could have been MUCH better handled if the structure of the story was more linear and we gradually saw his descent, as well as all these actions he apparently did off-screen. Honestly, if this was made as a saga for DBZ during its golden era (Saiyan-Cell sagas; pre-Buu) by Toriyama (assisted by his editors!) himself, it may have ended up being the very best one in the franchise, hands down.

On that note, GT would have also been a much, much better series if it combined the blackstar and shadow dragon arcs together. Pilaf should have used the regular (now cracked) dragon balls to grant his wish, but the evil Shenron should have appeared, and the dragon balls/shadow dragons should have scattered throughout the universe. The whole premise of the show should have been the Z-fighters (as in, not just Goku, Pan, and Trunks) traveling the universe to stop these creatures from wreaking havoc. There could have been mini-arcs for each dragon, with world-building, character development, and Toriyama-style jokes present throughout. Would this sort of show have been any better executed? Probably not, given the team behind it.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

EXBadguy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by EXBadguy » Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:55 pm

GT for the ideas (like the Shadow Dragon's existence), transformations, and outfits (with GT Vegeta brown's tank top outfit being the most badass one)

Super for the story (though only for the Future Trunks saga), better world and villains (Zamasu and Black).
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:54 pm

Super but gt is decent enough. Right now it would be DBZ>>dragonBall> dB super >>>>dB gt
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:21 pm

I thought GT try to be like DB and DBZ while Super tries to be its own thing. GT try to be like the first 13 episodes of Dragon Ball and try to be like DBZ with the Bebi saga. Even GT rehash a lot of old stories and character ideas.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:32 pm

For production quality I would say GT, but in terms of story Super wins.

GT, while it had a lot of problems in terms of writing had fantastic art and animation, and an incredible score from Tokunaga. Super had a rough start due to its rushed production, but things have improved a lot in the last two arcs, specifically the current one, the art and animation was initially sloppy but its pretty good now even if its not up to GT's standard, likewise the Sumitomo score has only gotten better, though still not as great as Tokunaga.

In terms of story GT had two good arcs (the Baby and Shadow Dragon arcs), everything else ranged from bad (Black Star Dragon Ball arc) to mediocre (Super 17 arc). Super has two great arcs so far (Universe 6 and Goku Black currently), one good (Battle of Gods arc) and one mediocre (Resurrection F arc). What I liked about GT is that it utilized previously established lore (Tsufurians) and gave a real consequence for overuse of the Dragon Balls but neither of those two things were done to a high standard. Super has began to expand the lore with more Gods and Zamasu's story (which is very unique in my opinion).

So as of now I'll have to give the win to Super, however that could change if the current arc ends badly and it goes to shit from this point on.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:50 pm

The way I see it:
GT produced many amazing ideas, but executed them poorly.
Super produced many meh ideas, but executed them greatly.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:52 pm

Kanassa wrote:The way I see it:
Which idea haven't you liked from DBS specifically? Also, the execution for most of Super has been notoriously bad. Not sure what lead you to this conclusion.
Retired.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:16 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Kanassa wrote:The way I see it:
Which idea haven't you liked from DBS specifically? Also, the execution for most of Super has been notoriously bad. Not sure what lead you to this conclusion.
It's not that the ideas are bad, it just none of the ideas were that interesting. And aside from RoF I think Super has done a wonderful job regarding executing them.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Vegard Aune
Advanced Regular

Post by Vegard Aune » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:54 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:Which idea haven't you liked from DBS specifically? Also, the execution for most of Super has been notoriously bad. Not sure what lead you to this conclusion.
"Future Trunks comes back again to ask his friends for help in protecting his future from an evil version of Goku", for one. I mean, I love this arc (though I was seriously underwhelmed by the latest episode) but when they first introduced the concept... did anyone hear that idea and not think "This sounds like a bad fanfic written by a 12-year-old"?

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:20 am

Not really. GT tried to be DB and DBZ at the same time (bad combination) but failed, while Super at least knows what it wants to be... total fanfare.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.