A question to the white subbies (don't worry it's not what you think)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

cheddarsword
Regular

Re: A question to the white subbies (don't worry it's not what you think)

Post by cheddarsword » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:16 am

Kunzait_83 wrote: tl;dr
On the subject of the actions of gay men, it was just that. I didn't mean to imply that they're acting at all. Perhaps my choice of words is to blame for this. I mean no offense here.

As for most of your reply, we're both right really. Succesful and respectful emulation of one or multiple parts of a culture should be fine. But respect is the largest part. Know what you're mimicking, do it right, and do it for the right reasons. Anything less can come off as offensive.

However, little things such as enjoying parts of the culture like Anime, Manga, the language, the food, etc. should not be frowned upon in any way.

Finally, on the subject of China's views of Japan. I didn't know that. It's a new one to me.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:41 am

I'll take cultural appropriation complaining seriously when this same collective cabal of cunts stops wearing ties (or cravats, a Croat invention) and stops using electricity (a Serb invention), paper for writing and ice cream (Chinese inventions),... And any number of other things from other cultures used the world over that are exempt from their bitching because reasons.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:07 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:I'll take cultural appropriation complaining seriously when this same collective cabal of cunts stops wearing ties (or cravats, a Croat invention) and stops using electricity (a Serb invention), paper for writing and ice cream (Chinese inventions),... And any number of other things from other cultures used the world over that are exempt from their bitching because reasons.
It seems that this cultural appropriation nonsense is an Anglo thing once again. Like some kind of guilt for being at the top of the world for so long, so they feel the need to "return" to the lesser cultures what was "stolen" from them. Even though extreme liberals have become more commonplace in non-English speaking European countries, they're still a rarity and most of them are laughed at, at least in my experience. People over here aren't as idiotic when it comes to social issues, I'd assume most of Europe is the same.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:13 pm

ekrolo2 wrote: (or cravats, a Croat invention)
Awww, but how can I perfect my Miles Edgeworth cosplaay without a cravat!?
Doctor. wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:I'll take cultural appropriation complaining seriously when this same collective cabal of cunts stops wearing ties (or cravats, a Croat invention) and stops using electricity (a Serb invention), paper for writing and ice cream (Chinese inventions),... And any number of other things from other cultures used the world over that are exempt from their bitching because reasons.
It seems that this cultural appropriation nonsense is an Anglo thing once again.
So is the English language... Which I notice you're using!
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:17 pm

Doctor. wrote:
It seems that this cultural appropriation nonsense is an Anglo thing once again. Like some kind of guilt for being at the top of the world for so long, so they feel the need to "return" to the lesser cultures what was "stolen" from them. Even though extreme liberals have become more commonplace in non-English speaking European countries, they're still a rarity and most of them are laughed at, at least in my experience. People over here aren't as idiotic when it comes to social issues, I'd assume most of Europe is the same.
The cultural appropriation thing is definitely most strongly represented over in America. Even other countries like Canada or Britain which are increasingly falling in line with the current trend of extreme to the point of self parody liberalism don't make quite as much of a fuss about it as the USA does.

It's just another one of those things that in theory should be good but in practice has been thoroughly made into a laughing stock. Kind of like how respecting everyone has turned into "How many ways can we divide people up by race, sex orientation, religion and any number of other shit we're gonna make up?".
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:28 pm

No offence guys but the fact that US is a melting pot of races & cultures on a scale incomparable with Portugal, Croatia, my own country and even Britain or Canada is practically common knowledge. Doesn't really take a genius guess to figure out the topics or race, nationality, immigration, cultures etc. within both modern and historical context are obviously gonna be far more prevalent from their perspective

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:33 pm

Aside from teasing, such as being called a "weeb", I've never run into the problem. Cultural appropriation as a concept ultimately comes from a misunderstanding of culture itself. A view of those who see culture as cemented and unmovable, which is a surprisingly right wing idea considering that those on the left wing tend to be the only ones who give the it any weight. In reality, the majority of a culture itself forms from taking ideas and practices from other existing cultures and adapting that into the greater whole, Taco's being a perfect example. Has anyone here ever had a genuine Taco from Motherland Mexico? It's a totally different (and infinitely more disgusting) experience. So we in America, being the culturally competent bunch that we are, brought the blueprints over here, replaced the dirty pumpkin seeds with grass-fed beef, threw fresh peppers and tomatoes on top, and made a real Taco.
Last edited by Jinzoningen MULE on Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:40 pm

Basaku wrote:No offence guys but the fact that US is a melting pot of races & cultures on a scale incomparable with Portugal, Croatia, my own country and even Britain or Canada is practically common knowledge. Doesn't really take a genius guess to figure out the topics or race, nationality, immigration, cultures etc. within both modern and historical context are obviously gonna be far more prevalent from their perspective
The US is definitely not the only country which is a big melting pot of races and cultures yet it's the one which pays most attention to social issues. There's a deeper motive at stake.

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:48 pm

Doctor. wrote:
Basaku wrote:No offence guys but the fact that US is a melting pot of races & cultures on a scale incomparable with Portugal, Croatia, my own country and even Britain or Canada is practically common knowledge. Doesn't really take a genius guess to figure out the topics or race, nationality, immigration, cultures etc. within both modern and historical context are obviously gonna be far more prevalent from their perspective
The US is definitely not the only country which is a big melting pot of races and cultures yet it's the one which pays most attention to social issues. There's a deeper motive at stake.
Name those other countries then, with comparable population of course

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:53 pm

Basaku wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
Why does population matter? What should matter is the percentage of different cultures, and countries like England, France and Germany are definitely comparable. Let's not forget that London was once considered the most cosmopolitan city in the world.

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:07 pm

Doctor. wrote:
Basaku wrote:
Doctor. wrote: The US is definitely not the only country which is a big melting pot of races and cultures yet it's the one which pays most attention to social issues. There's a deeper motive at stake.
Why does population matter? What should matter is the percentage of different cultures, and countries like England, France and Germany are definitely comparable. Let's not forget that London was once considered the most cosmopolitan city in the world.
Because if 1 country is 4 times bigger than other countries then whatever topic, influence, event will appear 4 times bigger on 'the internets' with 4 times more people to talk about it versus topics from countries 4 times smaller? Like duh? Especially if that country also speaks the world's lingua franca

England, France and Germany have sizeable immigrant populations but none compares to US both in historical and modern context or the influence of it. Racial diversity is even more incomparable with US.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:11 pm

Basaku wrote:Because if 1 country is 4 times bigger than other countries then whatever topic, influence, event will appear 4 times bigger on 'the internets' with 4 times more people to talk about it versus topics from countries 4 times smaller? Like duh?

England, France and Germany have sizeable immigrant populations but none compares to US both in historical and modern context or the influence of it. Racial diversity is even more incomparable with US.
Nobody's talking about the Internet here. Social issues are brought up on college campuses in the US all the time, whilst that's rare in European countries.

Then the entitled extremist liberals of the US shouldn't pretend their issues apply to the entire world like they do.
Last edited by Doctor. on Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:24 pm

Doctor. wrote:
Basaku wrote:Because if 1 country is 4 times bigger than other countries then whatever topic, influence, event will appear 4 times bigger on 'the internets' with 4 times more people to talk about it versus topics from countries 4 times smaller? Like duh?

Nobody's talking about the Internet here. Social issues are brought up on college campuses in the US all the time, whilst that's rare in European countries.

Then the entitled extremist liberals of the US shouldn't pretend their issues applies to the entire world like they do.
Of course we're talking the internet. How else did you hear about those college events? US is the largest, richest and most diverse western country speaking lingua franca, so not only it has obvious reasons why the social issues are bigger topic compared to less diverse countries, it also has the language, influence and population to bring those topics on the 'world' stage to a much higher degree than other countries can, any topic.

And just because the issues may be less prevalent elsewhere because of lower diversity or population doesn't make them non-existant.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:59 pm

Americans tend to look at this issue with a level of sensitivity, at least domestically, because whites/European-natives have a history of running roughshod over other cultures here and incorporating token elements of them while ghettoizing the people as a whole.

Our history also doesn't extend as far back, so this is all still new and raw.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:06 pm

I never said these topics shouldn't be brought up, being a total fucking idiot extremist about it is an entirely other thing. Take this cultural appropriation complaining further and pretty soon I'll be appropriating American culture because I, a Croat, dares to wear a Batman t-shirt. Or that I use a language that isn't Croatian like English or French or Italian,....

What's next? Complaining that non-Serbs use electricity? Non-Croats using ties? Where is the line drawn? When we're all safely tucked away in our own corners of the world, never exchanging anything because the left of America is only capable of inventing new forms of dividing people up instead of finding means to bring them together in spite of these differences?!

Like Cipher told me earlier, I get why American's feel very raw about this and I know their history doesn't stretch as far back as many other nations, but that's not an excuse to be a moron or an extremist which a MASSIVE amount of the people who complain about cultural appropriation are, completely unaware of a MASSIVE amount of things from other cultures that they use on a daily basis while simultaneously complaining that a white guy is making tacos. Oh, but articles of clothing, cars, paper, ice cream and FUCKING ELECTRICITY! are okay even though they're also foreign inventions used by people outside the nation who invented & used them in the first place!

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:31 pm

ekrolo2 wrote: Like Cipher told me earlier, I get why American's feel very raw about this and I know their history doesn't stretch as far back as many other nations, but that's not an excuse to be a moron or an extremist which a MASSIVE amount of the people who complain about cultural appropriation are, completely unaware of a MASSIVE amount of things from other cultures that they use on a daily basis while simultaneously complaining that a white guy is making tacos. Oh, but articles of clothing, cars, paper, ice cream and FUCKING ELECTRICITY! are okay even though they're also foreign inventions used by people outside the nation who invented & used them in the first place!
Of course it's not an excuse, yet by focusing only primarly on the 'extremists' you're delegitimizing the entire discussion. There are extreme views regarding any topic imaginable and in every country. Not sure why getting so hung up on "Americans are obsessed with it!". As if Europe didn't have it's own share of topics we 'obsess' with and which are more raw here

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:39 pm

Basaku wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote: Like Cipher told me earlier, I get why American's feel very raw about this and I know their history doesn't stretch as far back as many other nations, but that's not an excuse to be a moron or an extremist which a MASSIVE amount of the people who complain about cultural appropriation are, completely unaware of a MASSIVE amount of things from other cultures that they use on a daily basis while simultaneously complaining that a white guy is making tacos. Oh, but articles of clothing, cars, paper, ice cream and FUCKING ELECTRICITY! are okay even though they're also foreign inventions used by people outside the nation who invented & used them in the first place!
Of course it's not an excuse, yet by focusing only primarly on the 'extremists' you're delegitimizing the entire discussion. There are extreme views regarding any topic imaginable and in every country. Not sure why getting so hung up on "Americans are obsessed with it!". As if Europe didn't have it's own share of topics we 'obsess' with and which are more raw here
The discussion is hard to take seriously when the extremists are the one's driving the car while the sane people are in the backseat, holding on for dear life and being blocked out thanks to the screeching of tires against pavement.

Even the people I've seen convey the message with far better rationale leave me with the impression of "Okay, why's a white guy making tacos bad but you using ties isn't? Or paper? Or electricity? Or any other number of things invented by other cultures we all use on a daily basis?"

Nobody ever bothers to explain where this line is or where the difference lies, it all just leaves me with an distinct feeling of hypocrisy built on an ignorant notion that only some things are "appropriated" from other cultures when in reality at specific instances, a MASSIVE amount of things are on a daily basis yet they only choose to pick on certain things and entirely ignore other ones.

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:28 pm

ekrolo2 wrote: The discussion is hard to take seriously when the extremists are the one's driving the car while the sane people are in the backseat, holding on for dear life and being blocked out thanks to the screeching of tires against pavement.

Even the people I've seen convey the message with far better rationale leave me with the impression of "Okay, why's a white guy making tacos bad but you using ties isn't? Or paper? Or electricity? Or any other number of things invented by other cultures we all use on a daily basis?"

Nobody ever bothers to explain where this line is or where the difference lies, it all just leaves me with an distinct feeling of hypocrisy built on an ignorant notion that only some things are "appropriated" from other cultures when in reality at specific instances, a MASSIVE amount of things are on a daily basis yet they only choose to pick on certain things and entirely ignore other ones.
I get it, but it also seems that neutral comments like those made in this thread are passing over your head and you go straight back to discussing only the extreme comments. And where exactly are those extremists sitting in the drive seats? Politics of law-making positions of power? Certinately not in US right now. Entertainment business? Doesn't look like seeing how white stars continue to put out succesful urban-influenced music for example. The internet? Yeah, in between extreme right-wing/conservative comments, and extreme comments on gardening.

Thanos

Post by Thanos » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:04 pm

I've never gotten any flak for it, because it's not like I am trying to make anything Japanese part of my identity. Keep in mind, I am not an anime fan as a rule. I simply enjoy the original unadulterated form of Dragon Ball, created by Akira Toriyama, as an art form. It is a Japanese product, but what does that matter?

If by targeting white "sub" fans specifically, you're implying enjoying the dub wouldn't be considered cultural appropriation... I'm not saying you're wrong, and you very well may be right, that would be a very strange thing indeed. Just because an American company decided to translate the series for an American audience doesn't obligate me to appreciate their version because it's American. Ultimately, I don't have much interest in political correctness. You can be nice and tolerant without forcing that shit. It's fake nice.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:56 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote:noteworthy military invasions/occupations) that has largely persisted between both countries up to this very day.
Heck, Dragon Ball itself is based on a Chinese tale (Journey to the West).
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.