So are Fusions for the main heroes done? No new Fusions ever again?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lionel
I Live Here

Re: So are Fusions for the main heroes done? No new Fusions ever again?

Post by Lionel » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:00 am

How could Tenshinhan not see it? Goten and Trunks were metres away on the same deck. They don't have practical reason or the mentality to abscond to some alternate unseen area of the ship for a battle that's taking place right in front of them.

This is a multiversal wide event where the strongest fighters from eight universes are being pitted against one another to determine the survival of their world. Both Kais would have every reason in the world to bequeath their team with the Potara Earrings to anyone willing to use them. Prejudicial finickiness on the basis that they're not cracking Jiren and Toppo's skulls is hardly enough cause to not offer every advantage they can to their team where huge varying degrees of power are being wielded by seventy different fighters.

Kibito easily created a pair for Gohan as they were traveling to the summit where the Z-Sword rested. They were considered to be an accessory until Elder Kaioshin revealed their true nature as a potential trump card to be used. And if the fusion can increase their power by even several hundred times then it would put them ahead of the majority of the competition.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:09 am

Lionel wrote:How could Tenshinhan not see it? Goten and Trunks were metres away on the same deck. They don't have practical reason or the mentality to abscond to some alternate unseen area of the ship for a battle that's taking place right in front of them.

This is a multiversal wide event where the strongest fighters from eight universes are being pitted against one another to determine the survival of their world. Both Kais would have every reason in the world to bequeath their team with the Potara Earrings to anyone willing to use them. Prejudicial finickiness on the basis that they're not cracking Jiren and Toppo's skulls is hardly enough cause to not offer every advantage they can to their team where huge varying degrees of power are being wielded by seventy different fighters.

Kibito easily created a pair for Gohan as they were traveling to the summit where the Z-Sword rested. They were considered to be an accessory until Elder Kaioshin revealed their true nature as a potential trump card to be used. And if the fusion can increase their power by even several hundred times then it would put them ahead of the majority of the competition.
By that logic, they would give the earrings to Goku and Vegeta, the androids, ect. Heck, the other universe can have fused their mortals together too and we would have Dragon Ball Fusion. Which would make the humans nor more useful under these conditions as well.

How do you now they were those type of earrings. Zamasu had a pair just like that, but they weren't like Gowasu. The same with Zarbon who had similar earrings. And again, if U7 can reached this conclusion, why wouldn't every other universe take advantage of this?
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:11 am

HeroR wrote:
precita wrote:One thing I notice about Super as opposed to the games or Heroes, is we don't get any new fusions. We briefly got Super Saiyan Blue Vegito for merch purposes but he's still just a powered up form of an old Fusion.

Gotenks also barely appears since Trunks/Goten are hardly in Super, and then we even had Kaioshin and Kibito de-fuse. Unlike Heroes and the videogames which have tons of new non-canon fusions, I notice Super doesn't have anything of the sort. Would you say Fusions are becoming a thing of the past in canon? I kinda hope we get to see Vegito at least one more time in Super at some point, but other than that I don't expect to see fusions ever again at least from the protagonists.
Super isn't Transformers. Vegetto Blue didn't come into being just so they can sell merchandise. He came into being because Merged Zamasu was a fused being himself and it makes sense for the story for Vegeta and Goku to fused at that moment. And Merged Zamasu is a new fusion.
With the retcon and Vegetto still unable to win, he was probably more in that story to basically say "yeah fusion is a dud now". If they can't use their full power in fusion then it's pointless.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:27 am

It could be offered to the cyborgs. Would they partake in wearing them to increase their power? Doubtful -- given their background as free-spirited delinquents, being merged together to form a separate entity sounds like it would be an unappealing concept for them as they would prefer to remain their own individual. Goku and Vegeta share in this sentiment, though it's fixated moreso around the notion of wanting to fight battles using their own power more than anything.

Other universes could use the earrings, though how many have a developed relationship with their individual Kaioshins is unknown neither would they necessarily share in Shin and Elder Kaioshin's willingness to equip them with the earrings for one personal reason or another.

Gowasu exchanged earrings with Zamasu in order to use the Time Ring. Fusion doesn't necessarily require you have the same earrings as Kibito only had to remove his own in tandem with Shin to merge. There doesn't appear to be any contradiction to this idea of general Potara usability for merging.

Sonofman
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Sonofman » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:41 pm

I think a lot of what is happening now especially for the Saiyan's sake is that they want to beat their opponents on their own with their own power. It's a dumb idea, because that's just a Sasuke way of battling. If you incorporate people to help you defeat an opponent then it makes the anime so much more diverse! Which is why most main Z characters in DB are now side characters. They basically are useless in the story.
"We have this hope as an anchor for our soul" - Hebrews 6:19

TekTheNinja
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TekTheNinja » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:29 am

Zagacious wrote:I think it's kind of clear they've decided they don't want fusions based on the way they nerfed the Portara earrings so harshly.
Really? Because to me it seems they buffed them. Now that they aren't permanent, there's no real reason NOT to use them.

Zagacious
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zagacious » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:08 am

TekTheNinja wrote:
Zagacious wrote:I think it's kind of clear they've decided they don't want fusions based on the way they nerfed the Portara earrings so harshly.
Really? Because to me it seems they buffed them. Now that they aren't permanent, there's no real reason NOT to use them.
The time limit is dependant on how much energy they use, so the more they need the fusion the more it will run out. I mean if it's possible that they can just keep fusing over and over with no delay then that's the only way it's not so much a nerf. Putting a time limit and energy limit on it is hardly a buff.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:26 am

Seeing how much has happened in the ToP during the first 10 minutes, I don't see why Time Limit would be an issue. You get free 10 minutes of going totally wild and destroying everyone.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:20 am

Fusion characters push the power creep even further and much faster, especially Vegito. If Vegito beats the main enemy you have to make the next enemy strong enough to challenge him which leaves everyone else further behind, or you make the next enemy weaker and come up with excuses so Goku and Vegeta won't fuse and end up with a repeat of the Kid Buu situation.

It sort of works as a gimmick for Goten and Trunks now as a way to keep them semi-relevant, but the price of that is keeping the two of them weaker individually.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:28 am

The future Trunks arc made it a plot point to show how useless both forms of fusion now are for the strong characters. I don't think they're gonna show up ever again.
Last edited by Doctor. on Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:34 am

Doctor. wrote:The future Trunks made it a plot point to show how useless both forms of fusion now are for the strong characters. I don't think they're gonna show up ever again.
Not really since we had Merged Zamasu who wasn't limited like Vegetto Blue. He was only screwed by Black not being an immortal and even then he came out ahead.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:40 am

HeroR wrote:
Doctor. wrote:The future Trunks made it a plot point to show how useless both forms of fusion now are for the strong characters. I don't think they're gonna show up ever again.
Not really since we had Merged Zamasu who wasn't limited like Vegetto Blue. He was only screwed by Black not being an immortal and even then he came out ahead.
Zamasu was a villain. The thread specifies main heroes.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:57 am

I kinda hope so, I never really cared to much for Fusions, seems too cheap and gimmicky even for this series.

They've also never been of that much use anyway.