Dragon Ball GT: A Hero's Legacy remastered in HD on Blu-ray?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Dragon Ball GT: A Hero's Legacy remastered in HD on Blu-ray?

Post by sangofe » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:22 am

SuperCyan2 wrote:
sangofe wrote:Yeah. The Z specials have been remastered.
The Funi remaster? Well, it's something but not necessarily great.
I'm pretty sure they got remastered for the Dragon Boxes, too.

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:26 am

sangofe wrote:I'm pretty sure they got remastered for the Dragon Boxes, too.
Funi spends as little money on remasters as possible so even if they did 'remaster' we're still better off with the original by Toei / Pony Canyon.
Account no longer in use since 03/31/2018.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:17 pm

Let's clear some misinformation up here...

Any unremastered Dragon Ball franchise footage would be from one of various tape formats Toei had the show backed up on. For GT, and the GT special, this footage was especially washed-out and blurry due to the format used. There's also an odd blending problem unique to GT and its special, which is impossible to fix due to the nature of this blending(See this image. Both fields are blended between the previous shot, and the shot following it; this isn't a PAL blending thing, this is an issue with Toei's telecine process at the time. Note the fact that the bottom of the frame is more strongly blended with the next shot than the top of the frame. This makes the issue pretty much unsolvable), but it appears in the entire unremastered GT run, including the TV special.
And of course, it's not just the shot I'm showing; in every episode, every film frame blends into the next from the bottom up over the course of the 2½ videotape fields between it and the next frame. This is, in addition to GT's incredible blurring and washed-out colours, is a large part of why GT's unremastered footage looks so much worse than Dragon Ball's or Z's, which both look basically fine. And yet, Toei remastered both Z specials, but didn't remaster the GT special.

So, why did Toei elect to use the unremastered tape footage for the GT special on the Dragon Boxes? No one knows. Maybe by then, they'd decided it wasn't worth the effort since it was only going on the box set release, not the singles. Maybe they couldn't find the film elements in time. Maybe there was an issue with Pony Canyon that put a stop to the remastering after GT #64, which is why Toei took the remastering of the movies in-house.
No one knows. And arguably, by speculating, I'm making this worse. :lol:
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:24 pm

You know, using (PAL) Toonami UK footage for GT isn't helping your case much.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:38 pm

Danfun64 wrote:You know, using (PAL) Toonami UK footage for GT isn't helping your case much.
Umm... I did address that:
Robo4900 wrote:this isn't a PAL blending thing, this is an issue with Toei's telecine process at the time.
These PAL Toonami UK recordings just happen to be the only footage of GT's tape master I have on my PC.
In any case, PAL blending isn't a gradual thing that moves up the frame like this weird GT thing.

If you have a high-quality NTSC DVD with the GT tape footage on it, take a look for yourself. Though from what I understand, very few have such footage, since those DVDs are all fairly obscure foreign releases IIRC.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.