Who are the most underrated DB Characters?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: Who are the most underrated DB Characters?

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:43 pm

Paragus, Zamasu, Krillin, Tenshinhan and Baby are characters that stick out the most for me for being constantly overlooked and underappreciated.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:09 pm

Yajirobe before DBZ. I've been rereading that portion of the manga and from what I gather he could have been on par with Tenshinhan. After all, he was able to climb the Karin tower (with Goku on his back) when Goku barely did so 3 years before.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:51 am

Nokra wrote:
Kataphrut wrote:The three boys from Universe 2 who gained the power of the Maiden Squadron in their last ep in DBS.
"The three boys from U2 are underrated". Can't even remember their individual names :lol: nani?!
If the first character you think of when you see this thread title is Krillin or Yamcha (which I'd wager was 90% of people's first thought even if they didn't post it) then they can't be that underrated can they? I picked those boys because nobody remembers them except me, and I reckon they were brilliant.

Also, Zirloin, Zarbuto and Rabanra. That was without looking them up.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:08 am

Yamcha
Tenshinhan
Chaozu
Lunch
Chichi
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:10 am

Krillin, Yamcha, and Chi-Chi (I defy anyone to read some of the shit people say about her online and tell me she ain't).
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:24 am

Rabbit Boss AKA Boss Rabbit AKA Monster Carrot
Out of all Dragon Ball's short-lived villains and one-hit wonders, this guy is the best in my opinion. Very silly idea for a character, and an utterly hilarious episode... He's just great. Really under-appreciated.

Tenshinhan AKA Tien Shinhan
Great character. Really solid, self-contained, and quick character arc that immediately shows depth and wisdom in this guy, and he was a really interesting major player in the Piccolo arc. It's just a shame Toriyama tossed him aside after that.

Majin Boo AKA Djinn-Boo AKA Majin Buu
There's some real depth to this guy, but the Boo arc in general tends to be overlooked, since the series wears thin on a lot of people by that point, and Boo himself is often overshadowed by Majin Vegeta, Vegetto, the character-flattening Boo underwent when Super Boo started absorbing people, which didn't really get undone until he became kid Boo.

Piccolo AKA Big Green
A lot of people like Piccolo, but the real depths of his character is often overlooked, and in my opinion, even though he is generally quite well-liked, he doesn't get the credit he deserves. Like Tenshinhan, Yamucha, and Kuririn, the fandom forget about Piccolo, and lets him get totally overshadowed by Vegeta.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Post by zarmack » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:16 am

Robo4900 wrote:
Piccolo AKA Big Green
A lot of people like Piccolo, but the real depths of his character is often overlooked, and in my opinion, even though he is generally quite well-liked, he doesn't get the credit he deserves. Like Tenshinhan, Yamucha, and Kuririn, the fandom forget about Piccolo, and lets him get totally overshadowed by Vegeta.
Calling Piccolo underrated is kinda silly, since he is arguably the less hated/criticized character in the whole franchise. I've never heard of anyone who claim or showed themselves as a Piccolo hater.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:47 pm

zarmack wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:
Piccolo AKA Big Green
Calling Piccolo underrated is kinda silly, since he is arguably the less hated/criticized character in the whole franchise. I've never heard of anyone who claim or showed themselves as a Piccolo hater.
Indeed. However, I think he is rather overlooked. I think for a lot of people, he's either just kind of there, or is otherwise in my opinion, underappreciated.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:56 pm

I've said before and I'll say it again. Yajirobe! Dude is so badass! They can close that power gap however they want and I'll accept it if it means he gets to fight again! Also Toppo because he's hot.

Desassina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Desassina » Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:58 pm

#16, passing on his love for nature to Gohan, and letting him ascend upon dying. I would have loved to see his self destruction.