Soundtrack glitches on UK orange brick DVDs

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Soundtrack glitches on UK orange brick DVDs

Post by NitroEX » Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:58 pm

LostTimeLord wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:51 pm and we ended up with the uncropped versions as the standard BD release over here.
Well, that's better than I expected of them honestly, if a little too late. I still wouldn't personally spend money on it due to Funimation's DNR but hey, at least it's 4:3.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:11 am

Regarding Manga UK releasing the 30th anniversary discs instead of the 2013/14 Blu-Rays, we have our own Ajay to thank for that, as thankfully Manga know he's well respected in the community and they trust his advice on the different home releases.
Ajay wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:13 amBack in January, MangaUK came to me and said Funi were putting out their 30th sets in seasonal packaging for the mass market. They wanted to know if they should do that too or go with the old 16:9 release. I told them 4:3, obviously.
Ajay also informed Manga UK that the US subs for Super Broly had Paragus say "My Broly will be killed", and again, taking his advice they changed it to the more accurate "I'll be killed by Broly", so they do care about the fans' judgement.

Manga UK are not the same company they were in 2012, and I don't think the improvements we've seen in UK Dragon Ball releases have been an accident. Maybe they were playing it a bit safe putting out the orange bricks as their first Dragon Ball home release, but they do seem to be slowly but surely putting more effort into their releases in both packaging and content, even if they don't author the discs themselves (which is not uncommon for UK releases in general).

It's an interesting time now with the rebrand to Funimation, but I do hope the company will continue to improve and won't revert back to being beholden by problems with the US releases. Although I know Ajay knows his stuff, and will do everything in his power to make the best recommendations he can for future UK releases. We're blessed to have him, and I do hope Manga (now Funimation) UK will consider hiring him.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

LostTimeLord
Beyond Newbie

Post by LostTimeLord » Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:32 am

I will also give Manga credit for adding HoH subtitles to their DBS Broly and Hero Academia movie releases, an accessibility feature that Funimation ignores despite having the appropriate tracks available on their streaming service. Even Funi's "dubtitle" tracks lacked non-dialogue notes, AIUI.