Worst DB/Z/GT intros

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:22 am

Kunzait_83 wrote:
Masako-kun wrote:Aww come now, I like the Second FUNi intro. I can jam to it, unlike the GODAWFUL RAPPING OF GT...when has rapping in anime been appropriate?
Answer: Samurai Champloo. :P

Seriously, what I think you mean is “when has rapping in a whacked out kooky old school martial arts anime ever been appropriate, especially when it was creatively intended to be scored to a distinctly classical, Eastern sounding score?”

And I submit to you in turn by that same token regarding the second FUNi intro, when has shitty 8-bit sounding techno-rock that sounds like it was ripped from an 80’s toy commercial ever been appropriate to a whacked out kooky old school martial arts anime, especially when it was creatively intended to be scored to a distinctly classical, Eastern sounding score?
These folks must have never heard Nujabes,Fat Jon, or Force of Nature.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

Kid Trunks
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kid Trunks » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:44 am

Kunzait_83 wrote:when has shitty 8-bit sounding techno-rock that sounds like it was ripped from an 80’s toy commercial ever been appropriate to a whacked out kooky old school martial arts anime, especially when it was creatively intended to be scored to a distinctly classical, Eastern sounding score?
Funi's second intro :) Yup, good stuff.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:56 am

God, I even hated that intro when I was a dubbie.

Commander_Red
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Commander_Red » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:03 am

The "singing" totally ruins this in places http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Qk4dDFz ... re=related

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:44 am

b
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Mon May 02, 2011 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:13 am

Kunzait_83 wrote:
I’m sorry about the rant, but it just absolutely dumbfounds me that so many fans will unanimously (and understandably) trounce upon and spit all over complete drek like the GT rap, the Portugese intro, the Canadian intro… but put up anything made by FUNi in the late 90’s/early 2000’s (especially if it has Faulconer’s name on it), and there’s this giant subset of U.S. fans who will fawn all over like it’s a fucking Bach sonata, when it by all sane rights and standards belongs in good company with the other laughing stocks upon the garbage heap.

Faulconer worship to me is like hailing the BGM for Mortal Kombat: Defenders of the Realm as a work of timeless genius.
Something that always makes me laugh is that Falcouner's DBZ music CDs draw flies on Amazon. But yet that score has soooo many fans. I wonder why they don't buy it. I can't think of how many intro/outros and dub moments have been killed by Mr. F's score.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

Super Ghost Kamikaze
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:22 am

Kunzait_83 wrote:
Kid Trunks wrote:Funi's second intro :) Yup, good stuff.
Just for my own edification, we ARE talking about the same intro aren’t we?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2muJgZu8 ... re=related

Let me get this straight: THAT ‘S supposed to be “good”? That intro. Really?

I’m actually not trying to be an asshole or a smartass; I’m completely serious, I’m genuinely curious to know exactly what it is about that intro that screams “Dragon Ball”, apart from the simple fact that it uses clips from the show. Someone by all means please explain it to me, because for the life of me I just don’t see it at all.

[*snip*-you can really rant your head off. I respect that. But the quote box would be too big. Seriously.]
Even for those who vastly prefer the Japanese version of the series now, there is a sense of nostalgia attached to small things like this for those of us who were introduced to DragonBall through the Funimation dub. As strange as it sounds, a lot of us had to enjoy the Funimation dub enough to look more into the fanbase. Call it stupid little kids falling for Funi's plan as expected or say that there's an intrinsic quality of DragonBall that even Funimation's edits and changes couldn't completely destroy. But we enjoyed it.

And you know, for some fans, new DragonBall episodes ONLY came in through Funimation first. The Japanese version was something filtered secondhand through Chris Psaros, unless you were "lucky" enough to snag a VHS with swear-filled subtitles.

The fact of the matter is, the original version simply wasn't all that accessible in the show's original run. So, this song(and yes, Rock the Dragon) represent the first time we saw a new DragonBall adventure. For kids and teens during the initial run, the TV run was probably the only way to get new DragonBall episodes. Honestly, we were then probably too excited about the start of DragonBall and too young to evaluate the music on any truly critical level. Now the thing has a sense of nostalgia attached to it, and nostalgia is hard to shake.
Last edited by Super Ghost Kamikaze on Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:22 am

I thought you guys were talking about this intro music, because I was gonna have to bust some heads if people were dissing this one. :twisted:

Seriously...
Last edited by SSJ2bardock on Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

Kid Trunks
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kid Trunks » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:23 am

Kunzait_83 wrote:
Kid Trunks wrote:Funi's second intro :) Yup, good stuff.
Just for my own edification, we ARE talking about the same intro aren’t we?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2muJgZu8 ... re=related

Let me get this straight: THAT ‘S supposed to be “good”? That intro. Really?

Well... thanks for shitting on my parade. But yeah, thats the one alright. Its one of my favorites. Its nowhere near as bad as your colorful language lets on. Besides, one mans garbage is another mans gold, not that that I think its garbage...I think its gold.
SSJ2bardock wrote:I thought you guys were talking about this intro music, because I was gonna have to bust some heads if people were dissing this one. :twisted:
No chance! I love that intro too.

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:28 am

I heard the Spanish "We Gotta Power" for the first time and considered putting it here, but the more I listen to i the more it grows on me.
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

SaiyaMel
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyaMel » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:45 am

Just found - the French intro for DBZ is nearly identical to the Portuguese one..

Check it out.

And yea, that GT ghetto rap's pretty bad too.
Just Saiyan...

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:47 am

The French dub pretty much just sucks in general.
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

SaiyaMel
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyaMel » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:25 am

French Dragonball intro - somehow I like it better than the Canadian version..
Just Saiyan...

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:08 am

Anything done by Funimation, it all has this "HARDCORE" tone to it which is hard to stomach. The UK intro's were never fabulous either.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:09 am

SaiyaMel wrote:

And yea, that GT ghetto rap's pretty bad too.
What, nobody wants to "step into the Grand Tour"? :lol:
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

Chrono Trigger
Advanced Regular

Post by Chrono Trigger » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:11 am

It's not "ghetto" rap. There's no such thing. :?
I completely respect your opinion, and I respect you. I enjoyed discussing this with you, even if I don't completely agree.

If we're all here for a reason then I'm just visiting.

If it's held in your heart then you can't let go.

Wojak
Regular

Post by Wojak » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:35 am

Chrono Trigger wrote:It's not "ghetto" rap. There's no such thing. :?
Now it is, we invented the term.
Ghetto rap is rap with a ghetto feeling.
In Sweden we have a lot of music with ghetto feel in it, so you can actually say it exists. :wink:
I'm just sad I have to hear that crap on the radio 24/7 (the ghetto rap, obviously).

I don't like the "hardcore" Funi intros either. They have lost the feeling for the show's athmosphere, as well as the Portuguese or French, or Italian.

Le intro du Francais est trés, trés TERRIBLE!
Y tambien en Portugués! (I don't know Portuguese, so I had to write in Spanish).
No more time for Daizex. Goodbye folks!

Dave SSJ4

Post by Dave SSJ4 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:31 am

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:42 am

SSJ2bardock wrote:I heard the Spanish "We Gotta Power" for the first time and considered putting it here, but the more I listen to i the more it grows on me.
Which one? There's a few different Spanish versions, such as the ones from Spain and the ones from Mexico. o_O

omegacwa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omegacwa » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:17 pm

SSJ2bardock wrote:I thought you guys were talking about this intro music, because I was gonna have to bust some heads if people were dissing this one. :twisted:

Seriously...
That's definitely Funi's best English intro, my only complaint is that it's too metal, like maybe if it was played on a piano or something It would have fit better, but the tune itself is quite nice and fitting.