Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Post by MCDaveG » Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:16 pm

For sure Gohan will have ultimate form in the movie, as stated by the name of the figurine and we actually see this form on poster, as in the teaser, we get glimpses of Gohan with the same haircut he had in Cell arc for some reason. That is probably him wihout transforming.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Soba Mask
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Soba Mask » Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:26 pm

BTW

We wanna bet Goten and Trunks aren't there.

They really need to kill themselves to get some attention. Even Pan is getting trained while the boys are ignored by everyone

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:37 pm

Do you think the Gammas will be stronger than Broli, Moro, and Gas, or weaker than them?
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:45 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:37 pm Do you think the Gammas will be stronger than Broli, Moro, and Gas, or weaker than them?
They have to be weaker if not they really need a good explanation of why they are that strong and why the red ribbon haven’t built them before this. From the trailer I don’t expect Goku and Vegeta honestly aside from the Broly spar.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:02 pm

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:38 pm
Grimlock wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:31 pm Oh hey, confirmation on Pan's age. AGE 782, here we go! (damn, that's two years before the tournament, I thought the movie would be closer to the end of the series, but if they want to unfortunately cram even more stories set right after the movie, they can...).

Geez what is the hang up with them doing everything they can to not go past EoZ ???

Like seriously….
I guess they don't want to overwrite GT. While GT ended a while ago it's assets and characters are still quite popular.

Super's placement as a midquel really hamstrings the series. Heck, even if you don't consider GT, Super has already inconsistencies with Z during which it's supposed to take place.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:05 pm

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:45 pm
Hellspawn28 wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:37 pm Do you think the Gammas will be stronger than Broli, Moro, and Gas, or weaker than them?
They have to be weaker if not they really need a good explanation of why they are that strong and why the red ribbon haven’t built them before this.
Well Dr. Gero did create three teenager cyborgs that are stronger than Freeza, so the idea of Gamma 1-2 being stronger than Moro and Broli is not that far off.
She/Her

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:23 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:05 pm
They have to be weaker if not they really need a good explanation of why they are that strong and why the red ribbon haven’t built them before this.
Well Dr. Gero did create three teenager cyborgs that are stronger than Freeza, so the idea of Gamma 1-2 being stronger than Moro and Broli is not that far off.
Just look at the absurd boost 17 got for the ToP.
Anyone can become number one contender in current db due to some bs reason.
For all we know Yajirobe gets an secret item in the next series and beats Goku with a single punch.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:24 pm

Jord wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:02 pm I guess they don't want to overwrite GT. While GT ended a while ago it's assets and characters are still quite popular.
Technically there's still a 5 year gap between After-EoZ and GT, so even if that's the reason, they could still use said gap to tell some fresh stories.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:38 pm

Super already rewrites GT. I don't know why Toei would scare the idea of replacing GT when the video games already treat GT as its own timeline.
She/Her

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:41 pm

Jord wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:23 pm

For all we know Yajirobe gets an secret item in the next series and beats Goku with a single punch.
Like what Goku did against King Piccolo?

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:43 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:38 pm Super already rewrites GT. I don't know why Toei would scare the idea of replacing GT when the video games already treat GT as its own timeline.
They’re not. GT as a whole isn’t even that pops in Japan and Super already ignores GT in several aspects. They don’t go to EOZ before Toriyama doesn’t want to. There’s really nothing more to it.

It’s seem to be oversea fans obsessed with GT and 90% of that is over Super Saiyan 4.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Sat Dec 18, 2021 6:06 pm

Jiren The Alpha wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:41 pm
Jord wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:23 pm

Like what Goku did against King Piccolo?
Agreed but when the power levels started to rise boosts got way more absurd.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Sat Dec 18, 2021 6:12 pm

HeroR wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:43 pm
Hellspawn28 wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:38 pm Super already rewrites GT. I don't know why Toei would scare the idea of replacing GT when the video games already treat GT as its own timeline.
They’re not. GT as a whole isn’t even that pops in Japan and Super already ignores GT in several aspects. They don’t go to EOZ before Toriyama doesn’t want to. There’s really nothing more to it.

It’s seem to be oversea fans obsessed with GT and 90% of that is over Super Saiyan 4.
Super also ignores Z in several aspects so by that logic Z also isn't that popular.

Several of GTs concept get significant spotlight in Super's anime succesor, the Heroes anime. The only current DB anime barely skips am episode without lending sonething from GT. Seeing that it's a Japwn only show, it does shine light on how popular these concepts are.

Of course, GT also got a lot of attention in the Heroes video games and the fact that FighterZ final 2 characters were both from GT shows that there is still a lot of interest.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Dec 18, 2021 6:42 pm

Jord wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 6:12 pm
HeroR wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:43 pm

Super also ignores Z in several aspects so by that logic Z also isn't that popular.

Several of GTs concept get significant spotlight in Super's anime succesor, the Heroes anime. The only current DB anime barely skips am episode without lending sonething from GT. Seeing that it's a Japwn only show, it does shine light on how popular these concepts are.

Of course, GT also got a lot of attention in the Heroes video games and the fact that FighterZ final 2 characters were both from GT shows that there is still a lot of interest.
The only real thing ignored in Z is Bulma’s five years statement.

Super and GT can’t exist in TFS same time because: Hell is different between versions so Super 17 can’t happen, Frieza is way weaker and he’s in GT, more wishes we’re made but no evil dragons, Shin isn’t fused anymore, Pilaf is friendly with the gang and isn’t old. And this is from the top of my head.

Also, the Dragon Ball Heroes anime isn’t a successor to Super anime, so not sure why that idea came from. It’s based on an arcade game that pre-dates Super by several years. It’s literally a promo anime.

As a whole. The only things widely liked about GT in Japan are the Super Saiyan 4s. GT is mostly seen as a forgettable anime that’s mostly kept alive in Japan by Heroes.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:29 pm

They might not need to be that strong since it's more of a slice of life story and only Gohan and Piccolo are seen fighting them in the trailer. Goku might be on Vampa the whole time with Broly while Vegeta is on Beerus' planet.

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:55 pm

Skar wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:29 pm
They might not need to be that strong since it's more of a slice of life story and only Gohan and Piccolo are seen fighting them in the trailer. Goku might be on Vampa the whole time with Broly while Vegeta is on Beerus' planet.
Gohan is fighting yes, and he will be the character who will unexpectedly play a major role.

Piccolo as per usual is getting rekt. He's always promo'd a lot but it doesn't lead to anything.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:48 pm

omaro34 wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:55 pmPiccolo as per usual is getting rekt. He's always promo'd a lot but it doesn't lead to anything.
Well the trailer shows Piccolo having a bigger role than in previous movies which why I was thinking the antagonists might be weaker. Piccolo was one-shotted by Beerus' ki infused chopsticks, found some Freeza soldiers, and only helped teach Vegeta the Fusion Dance in the previous movies. If they're anywhere close to God level, only Goku and Vegeta will get to do any real fighting against them.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:19 pm

I do find it stupid and silly that people think that they can't go past DBZ because GT characters are still being used in other DB media. You can still have GT characters in the video games and Heroes, and still have DBS take place after 784. GT still exist and it's not like it's going to be erased in our world forever.
She/Her

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:29 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:19 pm I do find it stupid and silly that people think that they can't go past DBZ because GT characters are still being used in other DB media. You can still have GT characters in the video games and Heroes, and still have DBS take place after 784. GT still exist and it's not like it's going to be erased in our world forever.
That's possible but I don't think that reasoning is necessary since we have a direct statement from Toriyama why he chose this time period. Maybe people assume he's lying or changed his mind but it clearly hasn't happened yet nine years after BoG.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:11 am

Age 782? Jeez, I was hoping this movie was going to be the end of this current era of Dragon Ball, but now I can easily see them trying to milk it even more.